• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

The beginning of the end for EJ

When you lose Doug Whaley...

Orchard Park, NY (WGR 550) -- The Bills don’t have a first round pick this season and won’t draft until 50th overall. Buffalo’s draft board is 200 strong and begins right at the top as if they had a number one selection.

Despite not having a first pick, quarterback was a strong topic at Monday’s Bills Draft Luncheon. The Bills are hoping EJ Manuel learned from watching and practicing last season with the others on the roster Matt Cassel, Tyrod Taylor and Jeff Tuel. General Manager Doug Whaley was asked how he sees the position moving into the draft.

We don’t have a proven franchise quarterback, that’s obvious, but what we wanted to do is be perfect everywhere else where that guy doesn’t have to put the game on his shoulders and be the man and that’s what we wanted to do, get as many playmakers around that position until that position takes that next step.”

Manuel has been criticized for his accuracy since playing at Florida State. Bills Director of Player Personnel Jim Monos said there’s only so much a quarterback can do.

“I think you have to factor it in. It’s another measuring tool but you still want to go back to the tape. That’s who they are and quarterbacks especially get so scrutinized on mechanics, and they work so hard on that with their quarterback gurus now, Orchard Park, NY (WGR 550) -- The Bills don’t have a first round pick this season and won’t draft until 50th overall. Buffalo’s draft board is 200 strong and begins right at the top as if they had a number one selection.

Despite not having a first pick, quarterback was a strong topic at Monday’s Bills Draft Luncheon. The Bills are hoping EJ Manuel learned from watching and practicing last season with the others on the roster Matt Cassel, Tyrod Taylor and Jeff Tuel. General Manager Doug Whaley was asked how he sees the position moving into the draft.

“We don’t have a proven franchise quarterback, that’s obvious, but what we wanted to do is be perfect everywhere else where that guy doesn’t have to put the game on his shoulders and be the man and that’s what we wanted to do, get as many playmakers around that position until that position takes that next step.”

Manuel has been criticized for his accuracy since playing at Florida State. Bills Director of Player Personnel Jim Monos said there’s only so much a quarterback can do.

“I think you have to factor it in. It’s another measuring tool but you still want to go back to the tape. That’s who they are and quarterbacks especially get so scrutinized on mechanics, and they work so hard on that with their quarterback gurus now, but at the end of the day, if you can shoot a basketball, you can shoot. If you can throw a football, you can throw.”

Manuel has spent the off season trying to change some of his mechanics.

“I just think it shows that he’s driven and I think that’s great on his part," Monos said. "He’s not where he wants to be yet and that means he’s going to try something different.”

When you look at this draft you have to wonder if the Bills will look at quarterback. Is there a Russell Wilson type that he can get in the second round?

“There’s a possibility, absolutely. We think there are guys out there that may have a chance, will they be there where we value them, were not sure,” Whaley said.

“I just think it shows that he’s driven and I think that’s great on his part," Monos said. "He’s not where he wants to be yet and that means he’s going to try something different.”

When you look at this draft you have to wonder if the Bills will look at quarterback. Is there a Russell Wilson type that he can get in the second round?

“There’s a possibility, absolutely. We think there are guys out there that may have a chance, will they be there where we value them, were not sure,” Whaley said.

More: http://www.wgr550.com/Quarterback-wa...t-Lun/21392403

That's the key phrase: but at the end of the day, if you can shoot a basketball, you can shoot. If you can throw a football, you can throw.”

Mechanics only go so far. All the practice in the world couldn't make Shaq a better free throw shooter.

Improved mechanics can only do so much.

It appears that Whaley has widened up and has unhitched his wagon from EJ. If he's smart, he'll draft another QB, so at least he could say that he didn't repeat the massive mistake of ignoring the problem again.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: The beginning of the end for EJ

Whaley will draft another QB...next year. When actual talent is showing.

Cassel and Taylor are here for a reason.

Thanks Buddy Nix. Manuel was his gift out the door.

Last chance.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• GreedoII
      • Aug 2007

He will never take a snap again on this team. He's gone either this yr or next. A terrible pick form the beginning by the former idiot regime oh wait they are still here in Brandon/Whaley...Nix is finally gone that stupid hillbilly

Comment

• feldspar
        • Mar 2007

While Whaley played a part, EJ was Buddy Nix's pick. Dunno why some people want to act like EJ is tied to Whaley so often....not that the OP said anything otherwise, but Nix was the GM when EJ was picked.

If I'm wrong, show me some direct evidence. I've yet to see any.

I still think that EJ is on the roster this year, but I hope the Bills DO draft a QB this year, same as every other year. Speaking of Russell Wilson, the Seahawks traded for Charlie Whitehurst, but that didn't mean that they were going to stand pat on that move. Gotta keep actively trying until you KNOW you've hit.
        Last edited by feldspar; 04-21-2015, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
          • Feb 2005

What ya'll gonna do when EJ wins the competition?

Comment

• Bill Cody
            • Sep 2004

yawn

Comment

• feldspar
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
              Root for him...although with some healthy skepticism and surprise that he's starting.

I don't see it, but I've been wrong before. I see Cassel starting with the current competition, which I don't see changing too much this year even if the Bills do draft a QB.

I was all for Orton starting last year too BTW.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
                Wake up after hearing my alarm clock.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                  When you lose Doug Whaley...

Orchard Park, NY (WGR 550) -- The Bills don’t have a first round pick this season and won’t draft until 50th overall. Buffalo’s draft board is 200 strong and begins right at the top as if they had a number one selection.

We don’t have a proven franchise quarterback, that’s obvious, but what we wanted to do is be perfect everywhere else where that guy doesn’t have to put the game on his shoulders and be the man and that’s what we wanted to do, get as many playmakers around that position until that position takes that next step.”

“I think you have to factor it in. It’s another measuring tool but you still want to go back to the tape. That’s who they are and quarterbacks especially get so scrutinized on mechanics, and they work so hard on that with their quarterback gurus now, Orchard Park, NY (WGR 550) -- The Bills don’t have a first round pick this season and won’t draft until 50th overall. Buffalo’s draft board is 200 strong and begins right at the top as if they had a number one selection.

“We don’t have a proven franchise quarterback, that’s obvious, but what we wanted to do is be perfect everywhere else where that guy doesn’t have to put the game on his shoulders and be the man and that’s what we wanted to do, get as many playmakers around that position until that position takes that next step.”

“I think you have to factor it in. It’s another measuring tool but you still want to go back to the tape. That’s who they are and quarterbacks especially get so scrutinized on mechanics, and they work so hard on that with their quarterback gurus now, but at the end of the day, if you can shoot a basketball, you can shoot. If you can throw a football, you can throw.”

More: http://www.wgr550.com/Quarterback-wa...t-Lun/21392403

That's the key phrase: but at the end of the day, if you can shoot a basketball, you can shoot. If you can throw a football, you can throw.”

Mechanics only go so far. All the practice in the world couldn't make Shaq a better free throw shooter.

Improved mechanics can only do so much.

It appears that Whaley has widened up and has unhitched his wagon from EJ. If he's smart, he'll draft another QB, so at least he could say that he didn't repeat the massive mistake of ignoring the problem again.
                  Who said Shaq ever practiced his shooting?

Comment

• stuckincincy
                    Buffalo Bills Fan
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                    Root for him...although with some healthy skepticism and surprise that he's starting.

I don't see it, but I've been wrong before. I see Cassel starting with the current competition, which I don't see changing too much this year even if the Bills do draft a QB.

I was all for Orton starting last year too BTW.
                    Well said.
                    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

I stand by my statement. EJ will not be here on opening day.

I'd rather have a guy that can throw a screen pass than a guy who can throw a deep ball.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                        Escaped Convict
                        • Jul 2002

While Whaley played a part, EJ was Buddy Nix's pick. Dunno why some people want to act like EJ is tied to Whaley so often....not that the OP said anything otherwise, but Nix was the GM when EJ was picked.

If I'm wrong, show me some direct evidence. I've yet to see any..
                        There are quotes out there, from very reputable sources--recordings even--that have Whaley taking responsibility for the pick. But even if there weren't, he took full ownership last year after he A) Didn't draft a QB last year B) Didn't sign a FA QB until camp was over, and C) traded away this year's 1st rounder and added it to last year's to draft a WR to "help EJ."

Whaley totally owns the EJ debacle.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                          There are quotes out there, from very reputable sources--recordings even--that have Whaley taking responsibility for the pick. But even if there weren't, he took full ownership last year after he A) Didn't draft a QB last year B) Didn't sign a FA QB until camp was over, and C) traded away this year's 1st rounder and added it to last year's to draft a WR to "help EJ."

Whaley totally owns the EJ debacle.
                          Agree 100%. Pretty sure it was Marrone that lost his **** over having Manuel as the only option.

BTW Manuel was plain awful in pre-season.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                            • Aug 2004

Still don't see Whaley's fate tied to EJ. If every GM who picks non franchise QB gets fired, there will not be that many GMs left in the league.

I, however, don't see them drafting a meaningful QB THIS year because they really loaded up gunning up for playoff. I can see them take a chance on someone in later rounds. I could easily see them spedning 1st round pick next year for QB though.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                              • Jul 2002

If I'm wrong, show me some direct evidence. I've yet to see any.

I still think that EJ is on the roster this year, but I hope the Bills DO draft a QB this year, same as every other year. Speaking of Russell Wilson, the Seahawks traded for Charlie Whitehurst, but that didn't mean that they were going to stand pat on that move. Gotta keep actively trying until you KNOW you've hit.
                              Do you know what everyone seems to forget-there was a 3rd person in the room-Doug Marrone. Go back & look at some of Marrone's quotes like a QB in Buffalo needs big hands & you'll see Marrone was a big part of the Manuel selection process, and after he saw what he had, ran off in the other direction as fast as he could.

BTW-Whitehurst was gone before they drafted Wilson. The guy you're thinking of is Matt Flynn.

Comment

Working...
                              X