PDA

View Full Version : David Lee....it's all about footwork

Mace
04-22-2015, 09:13 PM
“It’s all in the lower body,” he said. “I think that’s one of my strengths as a coach.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/04/22/bills-qb-coach-lee-putting-focus-on-footwork/

2013-2014 Jets : Geno Smith, Michael Vick, Matt Simms
2012 Bills : Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyler Thigpen
2011 Ole Miss : Maikhail Miller
2008-2010 Dolphins : Chad Pennington (1 year), Chad Henne, Tyler Thigpen, Pat White
2007 Arkansas : Casey Dick, Nathan Emert
2003-2006 Cowboys : Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Henson, Drew Bledsoe 1 year (2005 Drew Bledsoe), Tony Romo ! (2006 Tony Romo)
Pre-2003 : Come on now.

It's all in the lower body, great strengths as a coach. Top of his game. Glad we have him.

Philosophy : Run like heck unless you can't. Don't you try and throw it unless you have to and if so, throw it at someone eligible, or run like heck unless you have to throw it, in which case throw it at someone eligible or try and run like heck so no one tackles you until they have to. It's all about your lower body, trust me.

Woo. Anyway....

Mace
04-23-2015, 01:22 AM
He's throwing the ball, will you look at that, he's throwing the ball, did I not tell you not to throw the ball with those skinny calves ? Do I need to go back to Arkansas again for the 5th time ? Simms, get in there and show him how you use your calves without throwing the damn ball. People, help me out here....Vick, show him your calves, you can't throw a ball with those wee legs trying to hide them with long socks, son...I remember back when I was at Rice or Arkansas one of those times and we all wore short socks....

Night Train
04-23-2015, 03:33 AM
His first job was with Arthur Murray. He was a waltz instructor and called everyone Matilda.

YardRat
04-23-2015, 04:39 AM
Bill Walsh was a huge believer in footwork being the most important factor in a QB being able to produce in his West Coast offense. NFLN did a spot and both Montana and Young commented on how Walsh almost mercilessly drilled into them the importance of footwork on the dropbacks...the number and timing of steps, etc. He really did have the mechanics choreographed, much like a dance.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-23-2015, 06:23 AM
EJ is probalem with footwork is well documented - the fact is, Hackett said as much as last year off season as the #1 priority in fixing Manuel's mechanics. This is year two now someone trying to focusing on footwork on Manuel.

If you ask me, that's fine in off season workouts/camps/personal workouts etc. Going into training camps, especially into pre-season games, I'd ask Manuel to play free, NOT to think about footworks. Time to see the Manuel in his truest form in NFL, sink or swim. If Manuel has, like they said, learned a thing or two last year, then I believe he would do just like that - he himself said after the benching last year that he'd prefer "going down with guns blazing".

better days
04-23-2015, 08:56 AM
EJ is probalem with footwork is well documented - the fact is, Hackett said as much as last year off season as the #1 priority in fixing Manuel's mechanics. This is year two now someone trying to focusing on footwork on Manuel.

If you ask me, that's fine in off season workouts/camps/personal workouts etc. Going into training camps, especially into pre-season games, I'd ask Manuel to play free, NOT to think about footworks. Time to see the Manuel in his truest form in NFL, sink or swim. If Manuel has, like they said, learned a thing or two last year, then I believe he would do just like that - he himself said after the benching last year that he'd prefer "going down with guns blazing".

I read somewhere that a movement has to be done 10,000 times for muscle memory to take over.

Let's hope EJ gets his 10,000 reps in before the start of Training Camp.

Mace
04-23-2015, 05:01 PM
Bill Walsh was a huge believer in footwork being the most important factor in a QB being able to produce in his West Coast offense. NFLN did a spot and both Montana and Young commented on how Walsh almost mercilessly drilled into them the importance of footwork on the dropbacks...the number and timing of steps, etc. He really did have the mechanics choreographed, much like a dance.

No doubts. Biggest things that stand out in your post though are the names Montana, Young, and Walsh.

Looking through Lee's list of pupils, weeding out vets on their last legs, there's no one who has been any good learning from Lee's "strength" as a coach, and I'm guessing footwork lessons vary by coach.

I never went through his list of QB's before. When the Bills hired him in 2012, I read that he was a QB guru, and bought into it, because I trusted Gailey with anything related to offense. But I don't see who he guru'ed with any success.

zone
04-24-2015, 05:47 PM
Fitz regressed when Lee tried to "fix" his footwork.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-24-2015, 06:17 PM
I read somewhere that a movement has to be done 10,000 times for muscle memory to take over.

Let's hope EJ gets his 10,000 reps in before the start of Training Camp.

That sounds like a bastardization of Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule. In any event, it's overstated. Some quantity is obviously required, but quality matters more.

WagonCircler
04-24-2015, 08:29 PM
Just like hand-eye coordination is a gift that some people have more of an aptitude/talent for, so is muscle memory.

Especially muscle memory under duress, and when multi-tasking.

Saying it's all about footwork doesn't mean that footwork is easily mastered, or that it can be mastered al all by some QBs.

EJ has the same problems now that he did at FSU.

He is what he is. A bust.

Frenchman
04-24-2015, 08:39 PM
All of those draft things show that there is not a durable QB over it. Or an elite one for that matter.

jimmifli
04-24-2015, 09:04 PM
Just like hand-eye coordination is a gift that some people have more of an aptitude/talent for, so is muscle memory.

Especially muscle memory under duress, and when multi-tasking.

Saying it's all about footwork doesn't mean that footwork is easily mastered, or that it can be mastered al all by some QBs.

EJ has the same problems now that he did at FSU.

He is what he is. A bust.
I used to compete in Taekwondo and had a teammate that went to the Olympics. He had world class reaction time, explosive speed, incredible power and unreal coordination. Yet somehow he never seemed to do anything the same way twice. That isn't really a disadvantage in a sport that measures speed, power and to a lesser degree, accuracy. But watching him golf was hysterical. Despite being a world class athlete and golfing on a regular basis, his swing never gained anything that you would call consistency.

He had no ability to get his body to do the same thing over and over and over again. He just didn't. No matter how hard he tried. It didn't make him a bad athlete, but without that skill he was badly mismatched to the sport of golf.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-25-2015, 04:50 AM
Golf is not a sport.... It is an activity.

WagonCircler
04-25-2015, 01:09 PM
Golf is not a sport.... It is an activity.

Then how come Tiger Woods got so bad at it after he stopped taking steroids?

Mace
04-25-2015, 06:49 PM
Then how come Tiger Woods got so bad at it after he stopped taking steroids?

Had to be his caddy supplied no positive vibes and mishandled his clubs.

The Jokeman
04-26-2015, 09:45 AM
I wonder what role Chris Palmer's going to play on this team as ultimately I like him better than David Lee when it comes to working with QBs.

better days
04-26-2015, 09:58 AM
I wonder what role Chris Palmer's going to play on this team as ultimately I like him better than David Lee when it comes to working with QBs.

I just read that Palmer is not going to be working with the QB's.

It will just be Roman & Lee that Coach the QB's.

Mace
04-26-2015, 06:05 PM
I just read that Palmer is not going to be working with the QB's.

It will just be Roman & Lee that Coach the QB's.

Uh oh.