PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Rivers

BillsImpossible
04-25-2015, 06:21 PM
A friend of mine told me today that he heard it through the grapevine that the Bills recently got a phone call from San Diego.

He said, "Trade talks between the Titans and Chargers have fizzled and now San Diego is looking to trade Rivers to Buffalo. Lines of communication are open at OBD." That's not verbatim, but as close as I can remember. You get the gist of it.

I asked him who his sources were. They are legit, let's leave it at that. I have complete respect for my friend and his sources.

What would the Bills have to give up for Philip Rivers?

If Whaley could manage to get San Diego's 17th pick this year plus Rivers, how many draft picks would Doug Whaley have to give up?

My guess is the Bills would have to give up their first and second round picks in 2016, and their 2nd and 3rd round picks this year.

Would you make that trade? I would.

The Bills don't really NEED their 2nd or 3rd round picks this year.

If the Bills land Rivers, they won't NEED to draft a QB in 2016 either.

The Bills would get Philip Rivers and the 17th overall pick in this year's draft (starting offensive tackle) for a 2nd rounder in sweet '16.

The Chargers have recently tried to extend Rivers' contract, but he doesn't want to play in LA no matter how much they pay him.

Rivers is 33 years old and turns 34 in December. He doesn't need a great offensive line in front of him to be great.

Does he fit Roman's style of offense? I think Greg Roman would cream his pants if the Bills signed Rivers.

At this point in his NFL career, it's pretty obvious that Philip Rivers is looking for a change. He's not signing an extension because he won't play in LA.

Handing the ball off over 50% of the time might be something he'd be interested in doing to prolong his playing days up here in Buffalo.

Rivers is an excellent NFL quarterback. He's borderline Hall of Fame material.

The San Diego Chargers are looking toward the future, and so is their starting QB. The franchise is in a state of flux, much like the Bills were last year around this time.

The Chargers are movin' on up, and now might be the right time to start over again by letting go of their past.

Trade Rivers for the most draft picks possible and tank the 2015 season.

That could be in San Diego's best interests come time for the Chargers to play in LA's Carson City, and in the Bills best interests to win Super Bowl L.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-25-2015, 06:25 PM
If you trade for a guy like rivers, you tailor the offense to him and not the other way around.

That said, I don't see this happening. Why wouldSan Diego unload him without a qb coming back?

SpikedLemonade
04-25-2015, 06:31 PM
I doubt we would also get their 1st round pick this year.

My guess our 2nd and 3rd this year plus our 1st next year would be enough given he only has this year left on his contract.

SpikedLemonade
04-25-2015, 06:32 PM
If you trade for a guy like rivers, you tailor the offense to him and not the other way around.

That said, I don't see this happening. Why wouldSan Diego unload him without a qb coming back?

Throw in their choice of any of our QBs.

BertSquirtgum
04-25-2015, 06:33 PM
The only way I see the Bills getting Rivers is by trading them Dareus. They're both looking for contracts after the season. It would be the only trade I see happening. I don't know if I would agree with that. Dareus is going to be getting a 100 million contract so instead of losing him the Bills might decide to do this.

sudzy
04-25-2015, 06:41 PM
Well, if a friend of yours heard it through the grapevine.... It's good enough for me. It must be true, fire Whaley now.

BillsImpossible
04-25-2015, 06:47 PM
Well, if a friend of yours heard it through the grapevine.... It's good enough for me. It must be true, fire Whaley now.

Why fire Whaley for trying to sign one of the best QB's in the game?

Sign Rivers, hope he plays for 3 years, win a Super Bowl or 2, and worry about drafting a quarterback in 2018.

BillsImpossible
04-25-2015, 06:51 PM

That said, I don't see this happening. Why would San Diego unload him without a qb coming back?

Because the Chargers will soon be moving to a new city and would benefit from having 2 number 1 draft picks in 2016.

Think of Tim Murray running the Chargers.

BillsImpossible
04-25-2015, 06:55 PM
The only way I see the Bills getting Rivers is by trading them Dareus. They're both looking for contracts after the season. It would be the only trade I see happening. I don't know if I would agree with that. Dareus is going to be getting a 100 million contract so instead of losing him the Bills might decide to do this.

I'd rather give up 4 draft picks, sign Rivers, and extend Dareus with a little restructuring help from Super Mario.

Raptor
04-25-2015, 06:57 PM
If I'm the Chargers I want both the 2 and 3 this year and the Bills 1 and 2 next year

if they want players the Bills have to part with Dareus and likely some picks

BertSquirtgum
04-25-2015, 07:00 PM
This isn't madden. The Bills will not have enough money to keep Dareus and Rivers if they somehow traded for Rivers without giving up Dareus. They need to sign a few other important players next year as well.

justasportsfan
04-25-2015, 07:01 PM
Bills should give their 2nd rd. pick this year and chagers give us Rivers and their first this year and call it a day.

BertSquirtgum
04-25-2015, 07:01 PM
If I'm the Chargers I want both the 2 and 3 this year and the Bills 1 and 2 next year

Nope. Dareus for Rivers straight up.

BillsImpossible
04-25-2015, 07:07 PM

I'll part with the picks, but no way in hell do I trade Dareus unless it's one for one trade for Rivers. No draft picks, just a straight up player for player trade.

The Chargers get Dareus and the Bills get Rivers.

Deal.

Mace
04-25-2015, 07:11 PM
Even if the stars lined up, there's no chance whatever Rivers would want to end his career in Buffalo. Los Angeles makes him cranky, which makes him a one year rental for any team where he doesn't want to be. And a hugely expensive one we can't afford anyway.

BillsImpossible
04-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Even if the stars lined up, there's no chance whatever Rivers would want to end his career in Buffalo.

Why not? The weather? I honestly think that Philip Rivers could give a flying turd about the weather.

He wants to win a Super Bowl, and so do the Bills.

Why not get married?

feldspar
04-25-2015, 07:46 PM
If Whaley could manage to get San Diego's 17th pick this year plus Rivers, how many draft picks would Doug Whaley have to give up?

Why in the world would the Bills want to get San Diego's 17th pick this year? Getting Rivers would cost plenty enough as it is.

Ginger Vitis
04-25-2015, 08:11 PM
The Bills don't really NEED their 2nd or 3rd round picks this year.

OMG the last 6 weeks you have wanted the Bills to use their 2nd Round pick on 5 different positions and now you're claiming they don't need there 2nd Round pick. Wasn't it yesterday you claimed you would feel way more secure if he Bills used their 2nd and 3rd Round pick on OTs.. Too funny

Mace
04-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Why not? The weather? I honestly think that Philip Rivers could give a flying turd about the weather.

He wants to win a Super Bowl, and so do the Bills.

Why not get married?

No, from what he says it's about his kids and the atmosphere where they are living. He doesn't so much want to win a super bowl as have a happy family in a nice place because he's already loaded with cash. Buffalo does not shoot to the top of lists like that. Rivers has no driving passion for championships so much as he does for happy family, or he'd not care if they moved to supposedly football starved LA where he might have his cake and eat it too.

Sweet southern cities can give him the same money with better climate and happier atmosphere and he'd have a gentle pleasing commute to the stadium.

WagonCircler
04-25-2015, 11:24 PM
No, from what he says it's about his kids and the atmosphere where they are living. He doesn't so much want to win a super bowl as have a happy family in a nice place because he's already loaded with cash. Buffalo does not shoot to the top of lists like that. Rivers has no driving passion for championships so much as he does for happy family, or he'd not care if they moved to supposedly football starved LA where he might have his cake and eat it too.

Sweet southern cities can give him the same money with better climate and happier atmosphere and he'd have a gentle pleasing commute to the stadium.

I'll tell you, Mace, as far fetched as this story sounds, there's a wildcard that might actually make Buffalo appealing to Rivers.

Strange as this sounds, it's possible that Buffalo is the most Catholic city in America. Do not underestimate the value of that in Rivers' eyes.

His mother's sister is a client of mine, and a friend. There's a lot here that he would value that others might not. He's a very unusual guy, and this is a great place to raise kids (provided you have money).

He has family and business interests in Raleigh. Carolina has a young QB, so it's an unlikely landing spot. Washington might work for him, but if he hates LA, he would detest DC. Same for NYC (well, New Jersey) Cleveland might be a possibility, if the Bradford deal blows up with Philly. Baltimore? Doubtful.

I know it's a longshot, and it pisses me off to no end that Whaley fuct us with the Watkins deal, but we can dream, right? It's what we do here.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-26-2015, 12:39 AM
I don't know why he would have to uproot his family at all if the team moved to Los Angeles. The proposed site in Carson is less than 100 miles from his house. If the team HQ was in Orange County (which seems likely), he could live nearby and it would easily be close enough for him to head home on off days. It's not like most NFL players see their family all that frequently during the season anyway.

BertSquirtgum
04-26-2015, 12:42 AM
Even if the stars lined up, there's no chance whatever Rivers would want to end his career in Buffalo. Los Angeles makes him cranky, which makes him a one year rental for any team where he doesn't want to be. And a hugely expensive one we can't afford anyway.

What's your reason for thinking he wouldn't want to play for a team that has the most passionate fans in the league?

BertSquirtgum
04-26-2015, 12:45 AM

Did he tell you this himself? Do you have proof of this? I know he cares very much about his family but have never heard such things.

YardRat
04-26-2015, 04:26 AM
I'll tell you, Mace, as far fetched as this story sounds, there's a wildcard that might actually make Buffalo appealing to Rivers.

Strange as this sounds, it's possible that Buffalo is the most Catholic city in America. Do not underestimate the value of that in Rivers' eyes.

His mother's sister is a client of mine, and a friend. There's a lot here that he would value that others might not. He's a very unusual guy, and this is a great place to raise kids (provided you have money).

He has family and business interests in Raleigh. Carolina has a young QB, so it's an unlikely landing spot. Washington might work for him, but if he hates LA, he would detest DC. Same for NYC (well, New Jersey) Cleveland might be a possibility, if the Bradford deal blows up with Philly. Baltimore? Doubtful.

I know it's a longshot, and it pisses me off to no end that Whaley fuct us with the Watkins deal, but we can dream, right? It's what we do here.

I looked this up just because it was an interesting comment that piqued my curiosity, but New Orleans, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Denver, St Louis and Chicago allegedly are 'top ten' Catholic and have NFL teams.

https://www.osv.com/osvnewsweekly/byissue/article/tabid/735/artmid/13636/articleid/9926/top-10-catholic-cities-usa.aspx?ref=top10

HHURRICANE
04-26-2015, 06:54 AM
No way the Chargers are giving away Rivers without getting a shot at Mariotta. They are going to play this year with no starting QB?

For fun, and not to entertain this ridiculous thread, maybe you could do a three way trade that sends Dareus to The Titans, Mariotta to Sam Diego and Rivers here.

DynaPaul
04-26-2015, 07:37 AM
Pull the trigger Whaley!

DraftBoy
04-26-2015, 07:37 AM

Some of the projections have Mariota going anywhere from 2-6. San Diego would only need to move up 11 picks (assuming he falls to #6) and if they gave their #17 pick and their 2016 1st they could get up to take Mariota. I would imagine any trade for Rivers that involved us would involve our 2016 1st going to SD at a minimum. That just me speculating at how it would work.

WagonCircler
04-26-2015, 08:41 AM
I looked this up just because it was an interesting comment that piqued my curiosity, but New Orleans, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Denver, St Louis and Chicago allegedly are 'top ten' Catholic and have NFL teams.

https://www.osv.com/osvnewsweekly/byissue/article/tabid/735/artmid/13636/articleid/9926/top-10-catholic-cities-usa.aspx?ref=top10

Interestingly, that article doesn't point out the portion of the population of each city which identifies as Catholic. I would have to think that Buffalo (well, WNY anyway) would rank at least top 5 in that category.

WagonCircler
04-26-2015, 08:56 AM

Interestingly, that article doesn't point out the portion of the population of each city which identifies as Catholic.

According to this chart from citydata.com, 74% of WNYers are affiliated with a religious congregation, and of those, 77% identify as Catholic. That's a pretty overwhelming number which I doubt is matched by any of the other cities on that "Top Ten" list.

http://www.city-data.com/county/religion/Erie-County-NY.html

Zoneblitser
04-26-2015, 09:00 AM
This team is poised to contend for playoffs as is. This years draft just might get us two starters. Imho
I think trading enough picks to move up far enough to get Mariota and then trade that pick to the Chargers for Rivers is a good deal. We can use the money set aside to sign the new draftees on Rivers contract. We won't have to trade Marcell this year.
Rivers just doesn't get us to the playoffs he will make us Superbowl contenders.

The Jokeman
04-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Whaley eluded it too earlier we don't have enough ammo to trade for a legitimate franchise QB and/or a guy like Rivers. Toss in he said next year he's going to focus on re-signing our own UFAs. Also the comment that this season is EJ's make it or break it year I don't see us adding anymore QBs except perhaps a late round flier or UFA to add as a camp arm and/or a guy to push Taylor/Tuel. I think if EJ wins the starting job and can manage us to the playoffs it's his team going forward. If he doesn't then we're going to draft someone in the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL draft.

Zoneblitser
04-26-2015, 09:11 AM
Whaley is going to find himself on the outside looking in. His allegiance to EJ will be his down fall. How the hell can you want to hitch your wagon to a guy that has so many if's about his game and refuse to attempt a shot at a player the caliber of Rivers.

WagonCircler
04-26-2015, 09:22 AM
This team is poised to contend for playoffs as is. This years draft just might get us two starters. Imho
I think trading enough picks to move up far enough to get Mariota and then trade that pick to the Chargers for Rivers is a good deal. We can use the money set aside to sign the new draftees on Rivers contract. We won't have to trade Marcell this year.
Rivers just doesn't get us to the playoffs he will make us Superbowl contenders.

No quantity of 2s and 3s and future 1s is going to get us the Mariota pick. There are too many teams with 1s, including San Diego and Philly, who can out bid us.

The Jokeman
04-26-2015, 09:36 AM
Whaley is going to find himself on the outside looking in. His allegiance to EJ will be his down fall. How the hell can you want to hitch your wagon to a guy that has so many if's about his game and refuse to attempt a shot at a player the caliber of Rivers.

Going after Rivers is a bet against time as if you go all in with Rivers as your QB then you are telling this team/fanbase that we have a two or three year window. At least with EJ that window might be open a far longer amount of time. Toss in Whaley gets that by going with the young QB he's not killing his cap at the position and can build a better roster of players outside of QB.

YardRat
04-26-2015, 09:37 AM

Considering the number of QB's that have been brought in since EJ was drafted, I don't think it's an accurate perception that Whaley has 'hitched his wagon' to him.

The Jokeman
04-26-2015, 09:40 AM

Because how many Super Bowls has Rivers been in with San Diego? Mark Sanchez has as many playoff wins as Rivers does for his career in 4.

WagonCircler
04-26-2015, 10:02 AM
Considering the number of QB's that have been brought in since EJ was drafted, I don't think it's an accurate perception that Whaley has 'hitched his wagon' to him.

Really? He brought Orton in after training camp was over and only after Marrone threatened to shank him.

He didn't bother to draft a QB last year, and he traded away any hope of landing a starter in this year's draft.

QBs brought in this year are likely Rex's call.

WagonCircler
04-26-2015, 10:03 AM
Going after Rivers is a bet against time as if you go all in with Rivers as your QB then you are telling this team/fanbase that we have a two or three year window. At least with EJ that window might be open a far longer amount of time. Toss in Whaley gets that by going with the young QB he's not killing his cap at the position and can build a better roster of players outside of QB.

You're basically calling Rivers a has-been.

EJ is a never-has-been, never-will-be.

better days
04-26-2015, 10:11 AM

Well, lets look at these Cities in Relation to Rivers:

1) New Orleans: Has Brees, a trade possibility I guess.

2) LA: Rivers does not want to play in LA

3) Pittsburgh: Has Big Ben so no possibility of Rivers going there.

4) Denver: Has Manning this year at least, so not this year, maybe Rivers would sign there as a FA after Manning retires next year.

5) St Louis: Moving to LA, so NO.

6) Chicago: Stuck with Cutler & his STUPID contract. No way the Chargers trade for that.

I don't know what Buffalo has to offer the Chargers, but I would give them their pick of any QB on the team & Dareus OR two first rnd picks in the next two drafts, their choice.

The Jokeman
04-26-2015, 10:14 AM
You're basically calling Rivers a has-been.

EJ is a never-has-been, never-will-be.

Let EJ prove that statement this season and I will be amongst those willing to let him go.

The Jokeman
04-26-2015, 10:19 AM
I don't know what Buffalo has to offer the Chargers, but I would give them their pick of any QB on the team & Dareus OR two first rnd picks in the next two drafts, their choice. Dareus is arguably our best defensive player. We lose him we lose the defense.I'm not a favor of trading multiple picks either as this team isn't a "Bledsoe" away from making the playoffs.

BillsImpossible
04-26-2015, 10:32 AM
No quantity of 2s and 3s and future 1s is going to get us the Mariota pick. There are too many teams with 1s, including San Diego and Philly, who can out bid us.

I really don't think any team is going to trade up to get Mariota. He never took a snap under center in college and has to learn how to play in an NFL offense.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/10510/shotgun-qbs-a-fit-for-the-chargers

The Chargers are looking at Petty, Grayson, and Mariota. If anything, the Chargers are looking to add future draft picks instead of giving them up for a quarterback that is going to need time to develop.

The 2016 quarterback draft class looks to be much deeper than this year with players like Connor Cook, Cardale Jones, and Dak Prescott to name a few.

Even if the Bills have a 1st round pick in 2016, it's not going to be high enough to draft one of the best QB's.

The Bills are going to be better than last year, and will more than likely draft anywhere from pick 20 on up provided they finish 10-6 or better.

WagonCircler
04-26-2015, 10:37 AM
I really don't think any team is going to trade up to get Mariota. He never took a snap under center in college and has to learn how to play in an NFL offense.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/10510/shotgun-qbs-a-fit-for-the-chargers

The Chargers are looking at Petty, Grayson, and Mariota. If anything, the Chargers are looking to add future draft picks instead of giving them up for a quarterback that is going to need time to develop.

The 2016 quarterback draft class looks to be much deeper than this year with players like Connor Cook, Cardale Jones, and Dak Prescott to name a few.

Even if the Bills have a 1st round pick in 2016, it's not going to be high enough to draft one of the best QB's.

The Bills are going to be better than last year, and will more than likely draft anywhere from pick 20 on up provided they finish 10-6 or better.

OK, but in your earlier scenario, you had the Bills making an implausible/impossible deal in which the Bills acquired the Mariota pick and dealt him to the Chargers, no?

If The Chargers want Mariota, why involve Buffalo at all?

BillsImpossible
04-26-2015, 10:40 AM
OK, but in your earlier scenario, you had the Bills making an implausible/impossible deal in which the Bills acquired the Mariota pick and dealt him to the Chargers, no?

If The Chargers want Mariota, why involve Buffalo at all?

That wasn't me.

paladin warrior
04-26-2015, 10:46 AM

He is good QB. Thank and no Thank. Charger want to trade... Charger should try trade to AZ phoenix

IlluminatusUIUC
04-26-2015, 10:48 AM
Some of the projections have Mariota going anywhere from 2-6. San Diego would only need to move up 11 picks (assuming he falls to #6) and if they gave their #17 pick and their 2016 1st they could get up to take Mariota. I would imagine any trade for Rivers that involved us would involve our 2016 1st going to SD at a minimum. That just me speculating at how it would work.

Well if we were trading for Rivers, doing so without at least having a contract framework in place or making the 2016 picks conditional on a re-sign would be insanely risky. Setting up a draft day three-teamer and reaching an agreement with Rivers by Thursday seems like too many moving parts. Especially considering our cap issues and doing the deal with Oakland or New York involves an intradivision trade which most teams avoid.

BillsImpossible
04-26-2015, 10:55 AM
If Rex Ryan takes an excellent defense with an average quarterback to the AFC Championship Game again, the Bills will have the 28th pick at best in 2016.

If the Bills make the playoffs, their 1st round draft pick won't be worth much.

Trade it now.

Better days had an interesting idea - giving up 2 first round draft picks for Rivers. One in 2016 and one in 2017.

29th and 32nd hopefully.

WagonCircler
04-26-2015, 11:04 AM
Better days had an interesting idea - giving up 2 first round draft picks for Rivers. One in 2016 and one in 2017..

This would be worth exploring, but your OP, getting Rivers and SD's #1 pick, would be really unattainable.

I honestly think that the current Bills roster plus Rivers could contend for the Super Bowl.

BillsImpossible
04-26-2015, 11:13 AM
IlluminatusUIUC mentioned Rivers' contract.

His cap hit in 2015 is $17.4 million for the Chargers.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/philip-rivers/

better days
04-26-2015, 11:15 AM
Dareus is arguably our best defensive player. We lose him we lose the defense.I'm not a favor of trading multiple picks either as this team isn't a "Bledsoe" away from making the playoffs.

I understand Dareus is the best Defensive player, but a QB trumps all.

IMO, Rivers signed to a long term contract would be worth Dareus or two first rnd picks.

And with Pegula as owner there is always free agency to replace lost picks or players.

better days
04-26-2015, 11:21 AM
And I should add, with Rex as HC of the Bills the Defense will be very good even without a great player like Dareus.

And, free agents will want to come to Buffalo with the talent on this team & Rex as HC & Pegula will pay them to do so.

Meathead
so wagon is a gigolo to the elderly. somehow i always knew that

YardRat
Well, lets look at these Cities in Relation to Rivers:

1) New Orleans: Has Brees, a trade possibility I guess.

2) LA: Rivers does not want to play in LA

3) Pittsburgh: Has Big Ben so no possibility of Rivers going there.

4) Denver: Has Manning this year at least, so not this year, maybe Rivers would sign there as a FA after Manning retires next year.

5) St Louis: Moving to LA, so NO.

6) Chicago: Stuck with Cutler & his STUPID contract. No way the Chargers trade for that.

I don't know what Buffalo has to offer the Chargers, but I would give them their pick of any QB on the team & Dareus OR two first rnd picks in the next two drafts, their choice.

I never made any comment regarding the likelihood of Rivers ending up in any of those cities, anyway.

I wouldn't mortgage the future for Rivers, this team isn't that close to being a Super Bowl contender where the only missing piece/question mark is QB.

WagonCircler
04-26-2015, 11:29 AM
I wouldn't mortgage the future for Rivers, this team isn't that close to being a Super Bowl contender where the only missing piece/question mark is QB.

Really? Please elaborate.

BillsImpossible
04-26-2015, 11:30 AM
This would be worth exploring, but your OP, getting Rivers and SD's #1 pick, would be really unattainable.

I honestly think that the current Bills roster plus Rivers could contend for the Super Bowl.

I think Whaley can pull it off. The Chargers can draft Petty or Grayson in the 2nd round, and the Bills can draft a tackle at 17.

The Chargers are in a more desperate situation. Rivers has a $17.4 million cap hit to their roster, but only a $1.6 million dead cap hit if they trade him.

better days
04-26-2015, 11:30 AM
I never made any comment regarding the likelihood of Rivers ending up in any of those cities, anyway.

Well, I disagree with you Rat. IMO A GOOD QB is the only thing standing between the Bills & a Super Bowl.

Aside from QB what other AFC teams do you think have a better roster & Coaching than the Bills?

WagonCircler
04-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Let EJ prove that statement this season and I will be amongst those willing to let him go.

Waste another season proving the obvious? Even Whaley is backing away from EJ.

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/pre-draft-luncheon-bills-brass-did-ej-no-favors

In the 30-minute long meeting with the media, General Manager Doug Whaley and the team’s Director of Player Personnel, Jim Monos made the biggest waves.

First, the obvious: a declaration that most fans of the team would be willing to admit, but a confirmation nonetheless.

“We don't have a proven franchise quarterback, that's obvious,” Whaley said. “But what we wanted to do is be perfect everywhere else, where that guy doesn't have to put the game on his shoulders and be the man.”

What the Bills have done is surround themselves with three separate options at quarterback. Manuel is the holdover, while Matt Cassel and Tyrod Taylor are the newest challengers to the throne.

Cassel, by many accounts, is the least sexy option of the three because everyone knows what he is as a quarterback. However, that’s his biggest selling point for the Bills. They know how much or how little they can trust him with, and he has a vast amount of starting experience.

With both Taylor and Manuel, it’s different. Taylor hasn’t played substantial minutes in an NFL regular season game, while Manuel was benched for poor play.

Over his first 14 starts in two seasons, the former first-round pick struggled with intermediate accuracy, making the right reads, and using his eyes to see the whole field. During the pre-draft luncheon, the GM was asked vaguely what they look for when scouting quarterbacks.

The initial response? It’s essentially the antithesis of EJ Manuel.

“I'd have to say accuracy, decision-making, being able to play the game with his eyes,” Whaley said.

He added being able to win and leadership ability later on, but the trio of traits he led with are directly correlated to the latter two. If you have accuracy, solid decision-making, and playing the game with your eyes, the wins, leadership, and confidence will follow.

To Manuel’s credit, he knows he has a ways to go. In the offseason, he has actively been trying to work on fixing his flaws from a mechanical and accuracy standpoint. He’s enlisted the help of a noted quarterback coach, Steve DeBerg, to help improve his craft.

It’s actually a common thing for draft-eligible quarterbacks. Teams tell prospects that something in their mechanics needs to be fixed, and they attempt to change it in the pre-draft buildup.

In fact, Monos was asked about that on Monday.

“I think you have to factor it in. It’s another measuring tool but you still want to go back to the tape. That’s who they are,” the Director of Player Personnel said. “And quarterbacks especially get so scrutinized on mechanics, and they work so hard on that with their quarterback gurus now. But at the end of the day, if you can shoot a basketball, you can shoot. If you can throw a football, you can throw.”

Ouch. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the rostered quarterback that is going through the paces with a quarterback guru of his very own.

And who knows, Manuel could defy Monos’ conventional wisdom that quarterbacks are who they present themselves to be on game tape by putting together a solid training camp and preseason to win the job.

But the Bills aren’t counting on it, and at this point, neither should you. They brought in Matt Cassel not just to be a veteran presence, but to start.

Unless Manuel or Taylor flat out beats him in camp, or an injury molds the competition, that’s exactly what will happen.

More...

YardRat
04-26-2015, 11:37 AM
Really? Please elaborate.

We have skill position players on offense galore, but other than that, kicking, and maybe CB everything else is relying on hope and potential.

The interior oline is a hot mess until proven otherwise, maybe even RT.
No blocking TE.
No NT or 5tech DE, unless they draft somebody who can compete right away or a current player or two steps up.
No safety opposite Williams, unless they draft somebody who can compete right away or a current player steps up.
Even LBers are 'iffy' regarding how well they can perform under Ryan.

Too many question marks.

If the team had gone a different direction at HC, retained Schwartz, and brought in a legit olineman during free agency I would probably be in the 'all we need now is a QB' camp...but they didn't.

BillsImpossible
04-26-2015, 11:43 AM
In 1988 the Bills didn't have a first round draft pick.

In 1989 the Bills didn't have a first round draft pick.

In 1990 the Bills went to their first Super Bowl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Buffalo_Bills_first-round_draft_picks

The Bills need a quarterback now, not later.

WagonCircler
04-26-2015, 11:47 AM
We have skill position players on offense galore, but other than that, kicking, and maybe CB everything else is relying on hope and potential.

The interior oline is a hot mess until proven otherwise, maybe even RT.
No blocking TE.
No NT or 5tech DE, unless they draft somebody who can compete right away or a current player or two steps up.
No safety opposite Williams, unless they draft somebody who can compete right away or a current player steps up.
Even LBers are 'iffy' regarding how well they can perform under Ryan.

Too many question marks.

If the team had gone a different direction at HC, retained Schwartz, and brought in a legit olineman during free agency I would probably be in the 'all we need now is a QB' camp...but they didn't.

Wow. I'm a pessimist, but you take it to a new level.

I don't think Ryan is an idiot, and I think he will cater the Defense to the personnel. If this group can play at an extremely high level going from Pettine to Schwartz, they can do the same from Schwartz to Ryan.

And those skill positions galore would be supercharged (no pun intended) with Rivers at the helm of the Offense.

The OL is questionable, but there's a mix of young talent and veteran toughness and experience. There's more than enough there for a guy who gets rid of the ball as quickly and accurately as Rivers, especially when he has all the tools available to him that he would have here.

Weigh having Rivers vs. having the picks it would take to get a franchise QB in the hands of an organization that is clearly clueless when it comes to QBs, and this is the easiest call ever.

But that being said, I don't believe we have the currency to offer San Diego to get Rivers. I wish we could borrow from the Sabres.

The Jokeman
04-26-2015, 12:02 PM
IlluminatusUIUC mentioned Rivers' contract.

His cap hit in 2015 is $17.4 million for the Chargers.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/philip-rivers/

and according to http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/ we're $6.9 under the cap which players do you cut that give us the right mix of defense/offense/ST to win under Rivers at QB?

The Jokeman
04-26-2015, 12:12 PM
In 1988 the Bills didn't have a first round draft pick.

In 1989 the Bills didn't have a first round draft pick.

In 1990 the Bills went to their first Super Bowl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Buffalo_Bills_first-round_draft_picks

The Bills need a quarterback now, not later.

1988 we lucked out in getting a Hall of Fame/game changer RB in the 2nd Round due to a bum knee. The 1989 team also lucked out to find another Hall of Famer available to sign in Week 4 of the season in James Lofton. That said I don't think anyone could have predicted Lofton turn out to be what he was in 1990/91 based on his 1989 stats.

BillsImpossible
04-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Wow. I'm a pessimist, but you take it to a new level.

I don't think Ryan is an idiot, and I think he will cater the Defense to the personnel. If this group can play at an extremely high level going from Pettine to Schwartz, they can do the same from Schwartz to Ryan.

And those skill positions galore would be supercharged (no pun intended) with Rivers at the helm of the Offense.

The OL is questionable, but there's a mix of young talent and veteran toughness and experience. There's more than enough there for a guy who gets rid of the ball as quickly and accurately as Rivers, especially when he has all the tools available to him that he would have here.

Weigh having Rivers vs. having the picks it would take to get a franchise QB in the hands of an organization that is clearly clueless when it comes to QBs, and this is the easiest call ever.

But that being said, I don't believe we have the currency to offer San Diego to get Rivers. I wish we could borrow from the Sabres.

Great points! I agree with everything except the trade currency issue.

The Bills might be the only team in the NFL that could reasonably give up their next 2 first round draft picks for Rivers.

The Bills are a quarterback away from winning the Super Bowl.

The Texans and Cardinals might be the only other teams in the NFL willing to do such a thing.

The team that gives up the most picks for Rivers wins.

I have no doubts about the Chargers trading Rivers. They'd be stupid not to in their situation.

WagonCircler
04-26-2015, 12:14 PM
1988 we lucked out in getting a Hall of Fame/game changer RB in the 2nd Round due to a bum knee. The 1989 team also lucked out to find another Hall of Famer available to sign in Week 4 of the season in James Lofton. That said I don't think anyone could have predicted Lofton turn out to be what he was in 1990/91 based on his 1989 stats.

Loft turned out to be what he was in 90/1 because we had Kelly.

X-Era
04-26-2015, 12:16 PM
1988 we lucked out in getting a Hall of Fame/game changer RB in the 2nd Round due to a bum knee. The 1989 team also lucked out to find another Hall of Famer available to sign in Week 4 of the season in James Lofton. That said I don't think anyone could have predicted Lofton turn out to be what he was in 1990/91 based on his 1989 stats.That happens all the time.

IMO, trading for Rivers would be a solid but not great move. However, I'm not sure he's worth what many are talking about here. I'm not sure I'd give up much more than next years 1st and this years 3rd. If that. I'd feel a lot better about not spending a 1st on him.

WagonCircler
04-26-2015, 12:19 PM
Great points! I agree with everything except the trade currency issue.

The Bills might be the only team in the NFL that could reasonably give up their next 2 first round draft picks for Rivers.

The Bills are a quarterback away from winning the Super Bowl.

The Texans and Cardinals might be the only other teams in the NFL willing to do such a thing.

The team that gives up the most picks for Rivers wins.

I have no doubts about the Chargers trading Rivers. They'd be stupid not to in their situation.

But other teams have picks and possibly QBs to trade. We have less #1s than almost any team, and no QBs worth an order of 7-11 nachos.

San Diego will need a QB in a deal for Rivers, I think. Especially if they can get one in a deal that has a #1 this year.

If they could send Rivers and their #1 to Philly, they could get Bradford an d Philly could package Rivers to get to #2 this year, since they seem to be so obsessed with Mariota.

I just think there's too much competition out there who have more to deal than we do.

BillsImpossible
04-26-2015, 12:19 PM
and according to http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/ we're $6.9 under the cap which players do you cut that give us the right mix of defense/offense/ST to win under Rivers at QB?

LeSean McCoy has a huge cap hit, right?

Nope.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/lesean-mccoy/

McCoy has a $5.5 million cap hit in 2015. The Bills gave him a big signing bonus ($13.1 million) and totally restructured his former contract.

The Bills can do the same thing with Rivers. Big signing bonus with a workable cap hit.

The Jokeman
04-26-2015, 12:23 PM
That happens all the time.

IMO, trading for Rivers would be a solid but not great move. However, I'm not sure he's worth what many are talking about here. I'm not sure I'd give up much more than next years 1st and this years 3rd. If that. I'd feel a lot better about not spending a 1st on him.

Something just doesn't sit with me and Phillip Rivers, he puts up great stats but he's never had a great team around him and/or he hasn't been able to win more in the post season. If I was going to pursue a QB I'd rather go after someone like Eli Manning as to me he defines clutch as unlike Phil, Eli wins more despite having worse stats.

X-Era
04-26-2015, 12:27 PM
But other teams have picks and possibly QBs to trade. We have less #1s than almost any team, and no QBs worth an order of 7-11 nachos.

San Diego will need a QB in a deal for Rivers, I think. Especially if they can get one in a deal that has a #1 this year.

If they could send Rivers and their #1 to Philly, they could get Bradford an d Philly could package Rivers to get to #2 this year, since they seem to be so obsessed with Mariota.

I just think there's too much competition out there who have more to deal than we do.We don't have the fire power. Unless it's picks and a player. Then in a separate deal they parlay the picks to move up to get Mariota.

They need a DT/NT and a CB...

X-Era
04-26-2015, 12:28 PM
Something just doesn't sit with me and Phillip Rivers, he puts up great stats but he's never had a great team around him and/or he hasn't been able to win more in the post season. If I was going to pursue a QB I'd rather go after someone like Eli Manning as to me he defines clutch as unlike Phil, Eli wins more despite having worse stats.Not a huge Rivers fan but he's much better than anything on the roster and makes us an instant playoff contender.

The Jokeman
04-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Loft turned out to be what he was in 90/1 because we had Kelly.

The same Kelly who relied on a gimmicky (see fast pace 1 RB 3 WR) offense that eventually crumbled in Super Bowls when he had to play superior defenses. Sometimes I wonder if we had a more traditional offense would have we won at least one of the Super Bowls because as good as the offense was are best players in those days were Bruce and Thurman.

The Jokeman
04-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Not a huge Rivers fan but he's much better than anything on the roster and makes us an instant playoff contender.

Are we playing to just make the playoffs or win a Super Bowl? As quite frankly sure I'd be happy with the playoffs but with only Rivers having three years or so left in the tank I'm not sold him on a QB I want. As flash forward to 2019 and who's our QB then? or are RB then? or replacing an retiring Mario Williams/Kyle Williams?

The Jokeman
04-26-2015, 12:35 PM
LeSean McCoy has a huge cap hit, right?

Nope.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/lesean-mccoy/

McCoy has a $5.5 million cap hit in 2015. The Bills gave him a big signing bonus ($13.1 million) and totally restructured his former contract.

The Bills can do the same thing with Rivers. Big signing bonus with a workable cap hit.

QB contracts versus RB contracts are a totally different matter in the NFL. If so then Jay Cutler would have been moved by Chicago this offseason.

Topas
04-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Are we playing to just make the playoffs or win a Super Bowl? As quite frankly sure I'd be happy with the playoffs but with only Rivers having three years or so left in the tank I'm not sold him on a QB I want. As flash forward to 2019 and who's our QB then? or are RB then? or replacing an retiring Mario Williams/Kyle Williams?

Ehhhrm ... What? So having a great QB for three years is nothing? We did not have one for even one year during the last 20 years. So we are waiting until we get one for ten years? If we get get Rivers there is plenty of time to draft a QB and let him learn on the bench. See A. Rodgers.

And Rivers is great. Two years ago he alone was the reason they were in the playoffs. Their D was a sieve. look at their numbers. I think they had about the 30th ranked D and ge got them in the playoffs.

BillsImpossible
04-26-2015, 12:46 PM

I just think there's too much competition out there who have more to deal than we do.

San Diego would have to trade up to get Mariota. Why do such a thing when they don't have to?

The Bolts have the 17th pick, so if they want Mariota they would have to trade up to get him.

That doesn't make any sense for a franchise in San Diego's and soon the be LA's situation.

The Chargers have to trade Rivers now for the highest possible price in draft pick terms.

If they hold on to Rivers and he gets seriously injured in 2015 the organization will regret not trading him for two first round picks.

Topas
04-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Something just doesn't sit with me and Phillip Rivers, he puts up great stats but he's never had a great team around him and/or he hasn't been able to win more in the post season. If I was going to pursue a QB I'd rather go after someone like Eli Manning as to me he defines clutch as unlike Phil, Eli wins more despite having worse stats.

Oh my goodness. There is so much wrong with that post. Sorry. maybe we should have signed Tebow, because he is a proven winner. Even in the playoffs.
And it is absolutely Rivers fault that their D can not stop a nosebleed. Especially two years ago, when the were about 30th ranked and rivers willed them in the playoffs.
Eli Manning, I am at a loss of words. If Harrison wrestles the abll away from the guy with the helmet catch nobody talks about Eli.
And yes I know he won another SB.

WagonCircler
04-26-2015, 12:52 PM
San Diego would have to trade up to get Mariota. Why do such a thing when they don't have to?

The Bolts have the 17th pick, so if they want Mariota they would have to trade up to get him.

That doesn't make any sense for a franchise in San Diego's and soon the be LA's situation.

The Chargers have to trade Rivers now for the highest possible price in draft pick terms..

Not necessarily. If they can deal Rivers and get a QB like Bradford and keep their picks, they can use the picks to address other areas of need.

Who says they even want Mariota?

Personally, I think Bradford will end up being a better NFL QB than Mariota, and I think Mariota's best shot to succeed is with Chip Kelly.

But, either way, why deal with Buffalo? They don't get a QB back from Buffalo (at least not a real now).

Novacane
04-26-2015, 12:57 PM
Tyrod Taylor for Phillip Rivers. I heard it through the grapevine.

The Jokeman
04-26-2015, 12:58 PM
Ehhhrm ... What? So having a great QB for three years is nothing? We did not have one for even one year during the last 20 years. So we are waiting until we get one for ten years? If we get get Rivers there is plenty of time to draft a QB and let him learn on the bench. See A. Rodgers.

And Rivers is great. Two years ago he alone was the reason they were in the playoffs. Their D was a sieve. look at their numbers. I think they had about the 30th ranked D and ge got them in the playoffs.

The problem with getting Rivers is you have to cut about $10m off this roster to add him and/or extend him a contract he won't be here for or if he is it's with a team that won't be fighting for the playoffs with. So look over the Bills roster as it stands and give me what guys you'd cut that amount to $10m of cap space and you feel won't hurt this teams chance at making the playoffs this year. Also what high draft picks are we going to have to find this developmental QB you hypothetically think we'll get when odds are we have to trade our high picks to get Rivers to begin with. Talk about a dog chasing it's tail situation.

BillsImpossible
04-26-2015, 01:03 PM
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tdIF1lrIxXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YardRat
04-26-2015, 01:09 PM
I feel a little dirty, but how can you not thank a Marvin Gaye reference?

The Jokeman
04-26-2015, 01:11 PM
I feel a little dirty, but how can you not thank a Marvin Gaye reference?

Because Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong wrote that brilliant song and maybe writers should get more credit for winning than QBs er singers should ;)

BillsImpossible
04-26-2015, 01:16 PM
Because Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong wrote that brilliant song and maybe writers should get more credit for winning than QBs er singers should ;)

love it! lol, you guys are awesome.

Dr. Who
04-26-2015, 01:40 PM

I don't really know how one quantifies that sort of thing.
I mistrust quantifiable analysis for something more qualitative in nature.
No way LA or Denver is more Catholic than Buffalo.
An ethos is far more than simply the number of people in a diocese.

Meathead
04-26-2015, 01:42 PM
eli manning is the only guy in the nfl luckier than bill belicheater

Meathead
04-26-2015, 01:44 PM
id love to have rivers here but it would take so much that you would be resigning yourself to probably another decade of fail starting in three years

i guess id still do it

IlluminatusUIUC
04-26-2015, 03:02 PM
No way LA or Denver is more Catholic than Buffalo

They probably are, actually, but it's largely Hispanic catholics.

Skooby
04-26-2015, 04:40 PM

There's an idea. Did we ever get a link or is it fantasyland ??

justasportsfan
04-26-2015, 06:16 PM
So. Has this rumor gotten anywhere ye?. Another rumor going around is that Merriman got caught with enhancement drugs crossing the border from Canada.

feldspar
04-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Doesn't necessarily mean anything even if it DID happen. If the Chargers are entertaining the idea of trading Rivers and called the Bills, I'm sure they also called all the other QB-needy teams. We would in no way be special in any of that, and it would only reflect on what the Chargers are thinking, not the Bills.

Saratoga Slim
04-26-2015, 07:10 PM
One nice thing is that for the first time since forever, it's not laughable that a good QB might want to come to Buffalo. Play for Rex, hand off to Shady, and throw to Watkins/Harvin/Woods/Clay. It's now an attractive place to land.

Getting Rivers is almost like getting Manning or Brady from a brains perspective too. He's smart, like another coach, and would round out the Rex hiring even further. Combine him and Roman, with Rex running the defense, and this is absolutely a Super Bowl contender.

Mace
04-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Did he tell you this himself? Do you have proof of this? I know he cares very much about his family but have never heard such things.

Assuming you are serious and not having read through the rest of the thread to see if anyone else answered, the info is not real hard to find. I don't really see any reason I should look it up for you if you're that lazy.

BertSquirtgum
04-26-2015, 07:39 PM
There's an idea. Did we ever get a link or is it fantasyland ??

Why would I provide a link? All my post is, is theory. I don't want the Bills to trade away Dareus. Even if it is for Rivers.

BertSquirtgum
04-26-2015, 08:11 PM
Assuming you are serious and not having read through the rest of the thread to see if anyone else answered, the info is not real hard to find. I don't really see any reason I should look it up for you if you're that lazy.

I read the whole thread from the beginning. Maybe you didn't? I was the third post or so in. I see people just rambling about Rivers personal life and not providing any facts.

Mace
04-26-2015, 08:35 PM
I read the whole thread from the beginning. Maybe you didn't? I was the third post or so in. I see people just rambling about Rivers personal life and not providing any facts.

It doesn't really matter, I think I used up all my offseason angst already and I'm just not really set to argue with anyone about anything with any passion anymore anyway. SI and the Chargers sb nation crew had the material. I'm falling back into apathetic so whatever.

WagonCircler
04-26-2015, 09:25 PM

The "rambling" about Rivers' personal life is in response to the notion that Rivers would not want to play here. I don't see that as a given at all.

I also don't believe for a second that this scenario would actually happen. You don't just give up a Phillip Rivers without a serious backup plan at QB. A trade with Buffalo wouldn't get the Chargers any type of solution at QB, while trades with other teams could.

X-Era
04-27-2015, 04:50 AM
The "rambling" about Rivers' personal life is in response to the notion that Rivers would not want to play here. I don't see that as a given at all.

I also don't believe for a second that this scenario would actually happen. You don't just give up a Phillip Rivers without a serious backup plan at QB. A trade with Buffalo wouldn't get the Chargers any type of solution at QB, while trades with other teams could.Are you saying that Rivers won't be traded at all? If the rumors are true that he doesn't want toplay in LA I could see the Chargers respecting his wishes.

YardRat
04-27-2015, 04:59 AM
I have a hard time believing Rivers would be willing to either uproot his large family and move them off to anywhere (maybe a specific area where he would consider retiring to eventually is a possibility, but IMO that's not Buffalo) or go more than a season or two being away from the family for 2/3's of the year.

TacklingDummy
04-27-2015, 06:37 AM
Rivers for Dareus = no brainier.

Night Train
04-27-2015, 06:52 AM
Rivers for Dareus = no brainier.

Oh, the irony :rofl:

trapezeus
04-27-2015, 07:12 AM

I also don't believe for a second that this scenario would actually happen. You don't just give up a Phillip Rivers without a serious backup plan at QB. A trade with Buffalo wouldn't get the Chargers any type of solution at QB, while trades with other teams could.

Unless it becomes an NHL trade and the chargers need more picks in this draft to package to give to another team to move up in round 1.

For example, the titans might want more right now in rounds 2 and 3, which buffalo can provide as well as the chargers 2016 picks.

To save the 2016 picks, the chargers give us their 1st this year. we send a boat load of picks for rivers and the 1st pick, the chargers swap with a team in full rebuild and give up those picks and still keep some themselves.

unlikely...but perhaps an option.

as for the thread as a whole, i think its a fantasy scenario and i don't trust these "exclusive source" posts from people who don't routinely have sources.

rivers was always best with a good running game and a great TE. The bills could give that to him again.

But on the other hand, i hate bolo ties....

WagonCircler
04-27-2015, 09:16 AM
Are you saying that Rivers won't be traded at all? If the rumors are true that he doesn't want toplay in LA I could see the Chargers respecting his wishes.

I don't think he'll be traded this year, no. I think he'll be shopped, but not traded. I don't think there are any teams with the resources to trade for him who either need him or would be acceptable as a place where Rivers would feel comfortable re-signing, which would likely be a part of any deal.

better days
04-27-2015, 10:47 AM
I don't think he'll be traded this year, no. I think he'll be shopped, but not traded. I don't think there are any teams with the resources to trade for him who either need him or would be acceptable as a place where Rivers would feel comfortable re-signing, which would likely be a part of any deal.

A new contract would absolutely be a part of any trade of Rivers.

No team is going to give up anything for Rivers unless they are assured they can keep him long term.

better days
04-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Not necessarily. If they can deal Rivers and get a QB like Bradford and keep their picks, they can use the picks to address other areas of need.

Who says they even want Mariota?

Personally, I think Bradford will end up being a better NFL QB than Mariota, and I think Mariota's best shot to succeed is with Chip Kelly.

But, either way, why deal with Buffalo? They don't get a QB back from Buffalo (at least not a real now).

You do realize Bradford can't stay healthy right?

notacon
04-27-2015, 10:55 AM
The idea that Rivers would want to leave San Diego for Buffalo is silly. Buffalo sucks in just about every way, especially in weather. San Diego has got one of the best climates in the world, bar none. The Catholic angle is lame. There are Catholic Churches and Catholics all over the world. Living as a devote Catholic family does not need moving where there are more Catholics. This shows a stunning lack of understanding of religious people....it's an insult to anyone who is devoted to their religion.

In any event, the Bills have nothing to give San Diego, and the Chargers would be stupid beyond measure to trade Rivers without another QB in the wings. I don't think the Chargers will trade Rivers to anyone, much less Buffalo.

I just don't see this being even close to reality. Keep on dreaming.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-27-2015, 10:56 AM
A new contract would absolutely be a part of any trade of Rivers.

No team is going to give up anything for Rivers unless they are assured they can keep him long term.

I think that's the big hangup, honestly. Working a trade for a face-of-the-franchise QB is hard enough, but doing so while simultaneously trying to negotiate a long term extension with him is that much harder. The Chargers may have to accept conditional picks or roll the dice on keeping him. They do have the franchise tag available for 2016.

Also, I don't know that the move to Los Angeles is that imminent. The Carson stadium site was only recently approved by the city, do they even have funding in place? It all seems rather hazy to be making franchise altering deals over.

Dr. Who
04-27-2015, 11:22 AM
The idea that Rivers would want to leave San Diego for Buffalo is silly. Buffalo sucks in just about every way, especially in weather. San Diego has got one of the best climates in the world, bar none. The Catholic angle is lame. There are Catholic Churches and Catholics all over the world. Living as a devote Catholic family does not need moving where there are more Catholics. This shows a stunning lack of understanding of religious people....it's an insult to anyone who is devoted to their religion.

In any event, the Bills have nothing to give San Diego, and the Chargers would be stupid beyond measure to trade Rivers without another QB in the wings. I don't think the Chargers will trade Rivers to anyone, much less Buffalo.

I am dubious about the rumor and it is true the weather is difficult in Buffalo.
The rest of your rant is not very credible. Modern people tend to think of religion as a privatized, individual affair.
Catholicism starts from pre-modern presuppositions and it is very much a communal experience.
I live in the South and am Catholic. There's a clear difference between a city like Buffalo which has a strong Catholic heritage
and the typical experience of Catholicism in the South which is dominated by non-denominational evangelicalism and Southern Baptists and the like.
You can be Catholic anywhere, but to say it's immaterial where one lives is actually stunningly obtuse.

Aside from all that, Buffalo offers much in terms of price of housing, ethnic communities, great food, good doctors, schools, and culture.
The urban area has a lot of nineteenth century architecture that more progressive cities pulled down.
It's a nice place to live. Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas and many other athletes settled after their careers were over.

WagonCircler
04-27-2015, 01:00 PM
I am dubious about the rumor and it is true the weather is difficult in Buffalo.
The rest of your rant is not very credible. Modern people tend to think of religion as a privatized, individual affair.
Catholicism starts from pre-modern presuppositions and it is very much a communal experience.
I live in the South and am Catholic. There's a clear difference between a city like Buffalo which has a strong Catholic heritage
and the typical experience of Catholicism in the South which is dominated by non-denominational evangelicalism and Southern Baptists and the like.
You can be Catholic anywhere, but to say it's immaterial where one lives is actually stunningly obtuse.

Aside from all that, Buffalo offers much in terms of price of housing, ethnic communities, great food, good doctors, schools, and culture.
The urban area has a lot of nineteenth century architecture that more progressive cities pulled down.
It's a nice place to live. Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas and many other athletes settled after their careers were over.

I sat in the same pew as Rivers many times at St. Michael's in Raleigh, and you are exactly right. Catholics are an extreme minority in the South.

The important thing to remember though, is we're talking about maybe 3 years, if he were to be traded here. That's three Decembers, which are not much different weather-wise than anywhere else. It's January through March that are absolute hell.

I could see him moving his family to NC or Alabama or wherever, and making his living for 3 football seasons.

Any suggestion otherwise from an idiot like notacon is simple trolling.

BertSquirtgum
04-27-2015, 01:17 PM

You suck.

Bill Cody
04-27-2015, 01:40 PM
So why is SD looking to deal him? Is it that they can't/don't want to extend him? He's still a good player.

Skooby
04-27-2015, 01:48 PM
So why is SD looking to deal him? Is it that they can't/don't want to extend him? He's still a good player.

Getting value for him before they move to LA, where Rivers won't go (but he will go to Buffalo!!). Again, get me a link here or send it to fantasyland. The voices in my head are more believable.

Bill Cody
04-27-2015, 01:52 PM
Getting value for him before they move to LA, where Rivers won't go (but he will go to Buffalo!!). Again, get me a link here or send it to fantasyland. The voices in my head are more believable.

Hmm...a move to LA means a new stadium right? Won't that take years? Confused

BertSquirtgum
04-27-2015, 01:59 PM

Nobody sent your fantasy threads to never never land when you posted about the rumors from your "sources." Calm down meow

Zoneblitser
04-27-2015, 03:29 PM
If Rivers wannts to come to a nice Catholic diocese just have him dial O for O' Malley. He will get him in the right pew. In all honesty if he is that concerned about his family, I can't think of a better place than western N.Y. to raise them. It is most likely taxes and politics rather than the weather that would deter him.

better days
04-27-2015, 04:17 PM

No doubt, at least a couple of years.

But Rivers contract ends at the end of this season, & he does to want to sign a new contact with the Chargers unless he knows they will not move to LA while he is under contract to them.

WagonCircler
04-27-2015, 05:31 PM
You do realize Bradford can't stay healthy right?

Hahahahah. This, from EJ biggest apologist.

WagonCircler
04-27-2015, 05:34 PM

I imagine they would spruce up the LA Coliseum for a year or so. The new stadium funding was approved this week.

notacon
04-28-2015, 07:09 AM

Well, I grew up in Buffalo, as a Catholic. All the trappings...alter boy, father in Knights of Columbus, mother president of the PTA in the Parish school, Catholic High School. I disagree with you and I don't think that you are very credible.

Bringing religion into a NFL QB's career aspirations, I think, is ridiculous. The idea that Buffalo is a desirable place (instead of the TEAM being a desirable organization) is absurd.

Yes, I am a Buffalo basher and I have TONS of credibility because I have broken the chain of Buffalo Rationalization Syndrome that infects so many people stuck in that dismal city. Yes, Buffalo offers "ethnic communities, great food, good doctors, schools, and culture". So do MANY, MANY other cities in this great country and to say infer that Buffalo has some kind of advantage because of those facts is, again, absurd and ridiculous.. You should try and visit some, like I have. Yes, Buffalo offers lower "price of housing". So what??

Even bad NFL QB's or third stringers don't worry about housing prices. Philip Rivers certainly does not.

Yes, "Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas" decided to stay. I don't know about "many others"...I would say that there have been literally thousands and thousands of NFL players that were on this team over the years. Even if one assumes that there is only 20 new players a year (our of a roster of 50+), that means there has been 4,000 players in this city since our last Super Bowl...and that is a very conservative number....just because two stars decided to stay is a logical fallacy. So what? I bet the number of players that have decided to stay are outnumbered by the ones that left by at least 300 to 1.

Yes, in the context of a NFL QB, who is established and considered one of the top 10 in the league, to say that his Catholic faith would draw him to Buffalo and help drive his only career change of teams is stunningly obtuse and ridiculous. Additionally, I think saying this of Catholics in general insults their faith and is stunningly ridiculous.

better days
04-28-2015, 08:35 AM
Hahahahah. This, from EJ biggest apologist.

In the first place, all I have said about EJ is that 14 games is not enough time to judge him.

If that makes me an EJ apologist, so be it.

In the second place, it is a FACT Bradford has yet to stay healthy in his career which is the reason the Rams traded him rather than give him a new contract.

Dr. Who
04-28-2015, 09:19 AM
Well, I grew up in Buffalo, as a Catholic. All the trappings...alter boy, father in Knights of Columbus, mother president of the PTA in the Parish school, Catholic High School. I disagree with you and I don't think that you are very credible.

Bringing religion into a NFL QB's career aspirations, I think, is ridiculous. The idea that Buffalo is a desirable place (instead of the TEAM being a desirable organization) is absurd.

Yes, I am a Buffalo basher and I have TONS of credibility because I have broken the chain of Buffalo Rationalization Syndrome that infects so many people stuck in that dismal city. Yes, Buffalo offers "ethnic communities, great food, good doctors, schools, and culture". So do MANY, MANY other cities in this great country and to say infer that Buffalo has some kind of advantage because of those facts is, again, absurd and ridiculous.. You should try and visit some, like I have. Yes, Buffalo offers lower "price of housing". So what??

Even bad NFL QB's or third stringers don't worry about housing prices. Philip Rivers certainly does not.

Yes, "Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas" decided to stay. I don't know about "many others"...I would say that there have been literally thousands and thousands of NFL players that were on this team over the years. Even if one assumes that there is only 20 new players a year (our of a roster of 50+), that means there has been 4,000 players in this city since our last Super Bowl...and that is a very conservative number....just because two stars decided to stay is a logical fallacy. So what? I bet the number of players that have decided to stay are outnumbered by the ones that left by at least 300 to 1.

Yes, in the context of a NFL QB, who is established and considered one of the top 10 in the league, to say that his Catholic faith would draw him to Buffalo and help drive his only career change of teams is stunningly obtuse and ridiculous. Additionally, I think saying this of Catholics in general insults their faith and is stunningly ridiculous.

I think you are blinded by hate.
Don't know what happened in your past to make you so angry and unkind.
Best of luck to you. I know that life is difficult.

Ingtar33
04-28-2015, 09:39 AM
this won't ever happen. we don't have enough to give up for rivers. you don't trade a QB without getting one in return. so this is what i'd want if i was the chargers.

1) matt cassel/ej manual (maybe both)
2) Darius
3) the whole bills 2015 draft

that's what my price for Rivers would be, and if i'm San Diego i'm still not sure i'd be getting the best side of that deal. I might even ask for a couple other players too and the 2016 bills 1st rounder on top of this.

Joe Fo Sho
04-28-2015, 09:45 AM
this won't ever happen. we don't have enough to give up for rivers. you don't trade a QB without getting one in return. so this is what i'd want if i was the chargers.

2) Darius

that's what my price for Rivers would be, and if i'm San Diego i'm still not sure i'd be getting the best side of that deal. I might even ask for a couple other players too and the 2016 bills 1st rounder on top of this.

That's way too much to expect from a 33 year old QB who has made the playoffs once in the last 5 years.

better days
04-28-2015, 09:48 AM
That's way too much to expect from a 33 year old QB who has made the playoffs once in the last 5 years.

And in addition that QB has said he will not sign a new contract unless he is assured the Chargers won't move to LA.

WagonCircler
04-28-2015, 09:48 AM

2) Darius

That's insane. If Rivers was 28 years old, maybe. Rivers will be 34. Dareus is a straight up stud, MVP level, who is in his prime. Dareus for Rivers would be somewhat fair, but definitely advantage Chargers. Casell and EJ are inconsequential to the Chargers. They wouldn't even want either of them.

Bill Cody
04-28-2015, 09:49 AM

2) Darius

No NFL team would pay that for a 33 year old QB. If their demands are remotely like that Rivers will not be traded. Period.

Joe Fo Sho
04-28-2015, 09:50 AM
And in addition that QB has said he will not sign a new contract unless he is assured the Chargers won't move to LA.

It's really nice to hear these rumors about moving coming from other teams besides Buffalo.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-28-2015, 09:51 AM

2) Darius

Keep in mind that, if the rumors are true, they may be in a franchise tag/holdout situation with him in a year if they don't move him. While dealing him for picks might not capture his value, getting into a public contract bloodbath is something to avoid and lowers his value.

Bill Cody
04-28-2015, 09:51 AM

ok 2 more questions? Why does he hate LA and why are the Chargers moving there?

Skooby
04-28-2015, 10:00 AM

It's a larger version of Buffalo's fruit belt & a huge TV audience.

better days
04-28-2015, 10:00 AM

I have not heard why Rivers hates L.A. but he does. Maybe the gang violence there? Or the traffic? Or both.

The Chargers have not been able to get a new stadium built in S.D. so they are looking to LA for a new Stadium to move to.

WagonCircler
04-28-2015, 10:10 AM
I have not heard why Rivers hates L.A. but he does. Maybe the gang violence there? Or the traffic? Or both.

The Chargers have not been able to get a new stadium built in S.D. so they are looking to LA for a new Stadium to move to.

Read his bio. You'll figure it out. LA is the exact opposite of the type of place he wants to raise his kids. It's Sodom and Gomorrah.

This seems like a crazy conversation to be having about an NFL football player, but Rivers is a very different kind of guy, and that's the only reason for having it. In fact, it's the impetus behind the trade discussions.

Bill Cody
04-28-2015, 10:13 AM

This kind of thing sucks for the league. LA failed with the Rams and failed with the Raiders. Now they're going to have 2 teams gamble their futures in the same building in LA? Yeah that was the coliseum which is awful but I'm not sold it's not partly just LA. If I was from SD I'd be disgusted. Why do the owners there have trouble building a new stadium? Because they want the public to pay for it? If so, fist clenched middle finger extended.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-28-2015, 10:18 AM
This kind of thing sucks for the league. LA failed with the Rams and failed with the Raiders. Now they're going to have 2 teams gamble their futures in the same building in LA? Yeah that was the coliseum which is awful but I'm not sold it's not partly just LA. If I was from SD I'd be disgusted. Why do the owners there have trouble building a new stadium? Because they want the public to pay for it? If so, fist clenched middle finger extended.

I keep pointing this out everytime it's brought up, but LA hasn't built a new football stadium since the Great Depression. People ***** about how old the Ralph is on here, and insist we need a new field? The LA Coliseum is a half-century older.

Now, I'm not sure either stadium plan will actually come to fruition, but having teams in an actual NFL quality stadium that is not in a crack-filled shooting gallery neighborhood will go a long way towards fixing the attendance blues.

better days
04-28-2015, 10:24 AM
I keep pointing this out everytime it's brought up, but LA hasn't built a new football stadium since the Great Depression. People ***** about how old the Ralph is on here, and insist we need a new field? The LA Coliseum is a half-century older.

Now, I'm not sure either stadium plan will actually come to fruition, but having teams in an actual NFL quality stadium that is not in a crack-filled shooting gallery neighborhood will go a long way towards fixing the attendance blues.

Well, the attendance would be great while LA has a shiny new toy to play with.

But when the shine fades off, if a NFL team in LA does not win, I would expect attendance to drop like a rock.

Skooby
04-28-2015, 10:41 AM

But when the shine fades off, if a NFL team in LA does not win, I would expect attendance to drop like a rock.

Unlike Buffalo & Green Bay, can't this be said of most places ??

notacon
04-28-2015, 10:41 AM

"Blinded by hate"?!?!? :rofl: No, not at all. My eyes are WIDE open by honesty and reality. The people that are infected with Buffalo Rationalization Syndrome are the "blind" ones. They are stuck in one of the worst cities in the country and they have to keep on rationalizing on why they don't get up and move.

Actually, life is very, very good to me. I have a second home in the Southwest and haven't had to put up with the UnGodly bad WNY winters for three years and haven't had to put up with the even WORSE Buffalo winters since I made the best move of my life and left Buffalo in 1991. It's wonderful. I can't wait until I can move out of WNY altogether (still have my mother-in-law that refuses to leave "wonderful" Buffalo) and I have implored my kids to get the hell out of there so they can have real opportunity and enjoyment of where they live.

To help encourage them I have shown them much of the US. I travel for a living and have found that there are many, many great places to live and raise a family that don't have the terrible weather of Buffalo and the crumbing and dismal landscape. Maybe Pegula will help turn downtown Buffalo around. I'm not holding my breath. So many areas have the same challenges s Buffalo but have not sat on their hands and done literally nothing to take advantage of the good parts.

Rt190 on the waterfront is a travesty. Downtown is deserted wasteland. Top notch University of Buffalo's north campus is a dungeon and looks and feels more like a prison than a college. The subway to nowhere is useless. The waterfront near downtown is disgusting. The Peace Bridge is crumbling. Delaware Park is a **** hole. The East side is still a collection of rat infested dumps. My old neighborhoods are ugly and almost unlivable.

I'm not angry either. Just because I am honest enough to look at Buffalo and state what everyone else in the country knows is not "anger", it's truthfulness. Truthfulness that the weak minded cannot comprehend.

BTW...about the only good thing Buffalo has got going for it is lower real estate prices. That too is a perfect illustration that what I say is true as can be. It's called "supply and demand". Real Estate prices are low because few people want to live there. In San Diego the prices are higher because there is limited supply (limited by the ocean) and tons of people want to live there. I, personally, don't like San Diego, but I can certainly understand why people love it there. The market has spoken. Buffalo is for sale...crap is always cheap.

Anyway...I bring this up every so often because this is an opinion board and i like to state my opinions. Buffalo sucks. It has sucked for some time, and will continue to suck until Global Warming moves the tropics up that far north.

The idea that someone like Philip Rivers would want to move to Buffalo for the rest of his life is silly, and these rumors just illustrate how delusional most residents of this city are.

I feel sorry for you that you just cannot accept the truth. Maybe one day you will have the opportunity to move and then your eyes will be uncovered to stark reality.

TacklingDummy
04-28-2015, 10:45 AM

2) Darius

I'd give them a choice.

1) Dareus

or

2)

This years entire draft.

notacon
04-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Read his bio. You'll figure it out. LA is the exact opposite of the type of place he wants to raise his kids. It's Sodom and Gomorrah.

This seems like a crazy conversation to be having about an NFL football player, but Rivers is a very different kind of guy, and that's the only reason for having it. In fact, it's the impetus behind the trade discussions.

Jesus. Have you ever been to LA??? "Sodom and Gomorrah?!?! :rofl:

Philip Rivers is reportedly wanting to move closer to his home, Alabama. I would not live in Alabama if you gave me a house and paid for my living expenses for life.

To each their own. LA is not a place I would want to live either. But, it has nothing to do with "gang violence" (does anyone think that a premier NFL QB would live anywhere close to "gangs"??? :rofl: Or the idea that the level of morality is supposedly low.

Those racists in Alabama that strung up black people for decades and voted for a Gov. that worked tirelessly in denying blacks and equal education are the immoral ones. You have got a warped viewpoint of "morality". I bet a dime to a dollar that you supported and still defend Bush's torture.

WagonCircler
04-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Jesus. Have you ever been to LA??? "Sodom and Gomorrah?!?! :rofl:

Philip Rivers is reportedly wanting to move closer to his home, Alabama. I would not live in Alabama if you gave me a house and paid for my living expenses for life.

To each their own. LA is not a place I would want to live either. But, it has nothing to do with "gang violence" (does anyone think that a premier NFL QB would live anywhere close to "gangs"??? :rofl: Or the idea that the level of morality is supposedly low.

Those racists in Alabama that strung up black people for decades and voted for a Gov. that worked tirelessly in denying blacks and equal education are the immoral ones. You have got a warped viewpoint of "morality". I bet a dime to a dollar that you supported and still defend Bush's torture.

It's hilarious how you seem to think I actually give a **** what you say about anything.

You're exactly the type of piece of **** worthless human being Rivers is trying to get away from.

BertSquirtgum
04-28-2015, 10:52 AM

Must have been fondled by a priest in a catholic church in buffalo.

feldspar
04-28-2015, 10:53 AM
You'd better believe in God if you have seven children.

BertSquirtgum
04-28-2015, 10:54 AM

2) Darius

That's not realistic either.

Dr. Who
04-28-2015, 10:56 AM
Notacon: I live in Atlanta. I am aware that other places have their good and bad points.
I don't agree with your negative assessment of Buffalo.

BertSquirtgum
04-28-2015, 11:00 AM
"Blinded by hate"?!?!? :rofl: No, not at all. My eyes are WIDE open by honesty and reality. The people that are infected with Buffalo Rationalization Syndrome are the "blind" ones. They are stuck in one of the worst cities in the country and they have to keep on rationalizing on why they don't get up and move.

Actually, life is very, very good to me. I have a second home in the Southwest and haven't had to put up with the UnGodly bad WNY winters for three years and haven't had to put up with the even WORSE Buffalo winters since I made the best move of my life and left Buffalo in 1991. It's wonderful. I can't wait until I can move out of WNY altogether (still have my mother-in-law that refuses to leave "wonderful" Buffalo) and I have implored my kids to get the hell out of there so they can have real opportunity and enjoyment of where they live.

To help encourage them I have shown them much of the US. I travel for a living and have found that there are many, many great places to live and raise a family that don't have the terrible weather of Buffalo and the crumbing and dismal landscape. Maybe Pegula will help turn downtown Buffalo around. I'm not holding my breath. So many areas have the same challenges s Buffalo but have not sat on their hands and done literally nothing to take advantage of the good parts.

Rt190 on the waterfront is a travesty. Downtown is deserted wasteland. Top notch University of Buffalo's north campus is a dungeon and looks and feels more like a prison than a college. The subway to nowhere is useless. The waterfront near downtown is disgusting. The Peace Bridge is crumbling. Delaware Park is a **** hole. The East side is still a collection of rat infested dumps. My old neighborhoods are ugly and almost unlivable.

I'm not angry either. Just because I am honest enough to look at Buffalo and state what everyone else in the country knows is not "anger", it's truthfulness. Truthfulness that the weak minded cannot comprehend.

BTW...about the only good thing Buffalo has got going for it is lower real estate prices. That too is a perfect illustration that what I say is true as can be. It's called "supply and demand". Real Estate prices are low because few people want to live there. In San Diego the prices are higher because there is limited supply (limited by the ocean) and tons of people want to live there. I, personally, don't like San Diego, but I can certainly understand why people love it there. The market has spoken. Buffalo is for sale...crap is always cheap.

Anyway...I bring this up every so often because this is an opinion board and i like to state my opinions. Buffalo sucks. It has sucked for some time, and will continue to suck until Global Warming moves the tropics up that far north.

The idea that someone like Philip Rivers would want to move to Buffalo for the rest of his life is silly, and these rumors just illustrate how delusional most residents of this city are.

I feel sorry for you that you just cannot accept the truth. Maybe one day you will have the opportunity to move and then your eyes will be uncovered to stark reality.

You need therapy

IlluminatusUIUC
04-28-2015, 11:05 AM

The Lakers sold out nearly every game this year, a year where they were complete garbage and only won 21 games. I don't know why you have such an axe to grind against LA fans.

FWIW, if USC and UCLA were both NFL teams, they would both be Top 10 in attendance. Yet, they would still have blackouts because their stadiums are so freaking huge.

Unlike Buffalo & Green Bay, can't this be said of most places ??

Buffalo doesn't get to pull this card any more. We've had multiple artificial sellouts in the last few years.

better days
04-28-2015, 11:57 AM
The Lakers sold out nearly every game this year, a year where they were complete garbage and only won 21 games. I don't know why you have such an axe to grind against LA fans.

FWIW, if USC and UCLA were both NFL teams, they would both be Top 10 in attendance. Yet, they would still have blackouts because their stadiums are so freaking huge.

Buffalo doesn't get to pull this card any more. We've had multiple artificial sellouts in the last few years.

I did not realize the NBA drew 60,000 plus to a game.

And LA is an NBA town as well.

LA is NOT an NFL town & it would take decades to cultivate a passionate NFL fan base for an LA team.

And Buffalo is setting season ticket sales records this year.

better days
04-28-2015, 12:12 PM

And the fact LA supports NCAA football as much as it does would be a hindrance to an NFL team there, not a positive.

Zoneblitser
04-28-2015, 12:16 PM
If Buffalo is to make a deal with the Chargers it would be like this. We would have to secure the #1 or #2 overall pick. In a prearranged deal the bills trade this years draft to either Tampa or Tennessee along with the number 17 pick they would get from San deigo for being able to trade us Rivers for the #1 or #2 overall pick.

notacon
04-28-2015, 12:17 PM
It's hilarious how you seem to think I actually give a **** what you say about anything.

You're exactly the type of piece of **** worthless human being Rivers is trying to get away from.

Oh dear. What makes me "worthless" and the type of person "Rivers is trying to get away from"??? Curious. Just because I have the temerity to speak the truth about Buffalo?!?!? And to call your bull**** what it is...bull****!

It's hilarious how you seem to think that anyone actually gives a **** what you say about anything. Talk about angry people. You have got to be the angriest, and most cringe worthy poster here.

Answer the question. Do you support and defend Bush's torture policy?

Must have been fondled by a priest in a catholic church in buffalo.

Why?? Because I have the temerity to speak the truth about Buffalo and what it means to be a Catholic where i think one can practice their faith anywhere? Jesus. That's pretty warped when you have to bring sexual molestation into the discussion. Sick and perverted.

Notacon: I live in Atlanta. I am aware that other places have their good and bad points.
I don't agree with your negative assessment of Buffalo.

I think Buffalo is better place to live than Atlanta. I have the unfortunate duty of visiting Atlanta the end of this week. I'd rather live in Buffalo than Atlanta. Of course, you are correct. Every place has good and bad points. I believe that Buffalo's bad points outweigh their good...by a large margin. You are certainly feee to disagree. Some seem to think some very strange things when they don't agree with someone's opinion....like this poster...

You need therapy

Really?!?!?! Just because I express a well thought out, reasoned and fact based opinion and have the temerity to express it...I need "therapy"?!?!? What exactly for?

better days
04-28-2015, 12:22 PM
If Buffalo is to make a deal with the Chargers it would be like this. We would have to secure the #1 or #2 overall pick. In a prearranged deal the bills trade this years draft to either Tampa or Tennessee along with the number 17 pick they would get from San deigo for being able to trade us Rivers for the #1 or #2 overall pick.

It is not like Winston or Mariota is a sure fire can't miss NFL Starter.

Chances are the QB class will be better next year than this year.

I think Cassel or EJ as a bridge QB for this year & the Bills #1 pick in 2016 & 2017 could get the job done if the Chargers want to trade Rivers.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-28-2015, 12:25 PM
I did not realize the NBA drew 60,000 plus to a game.

I did not realize that the NFL had to sell 41 home games, including dozens on weeknights.

LA is NOT an NFL town & it would take decades to cultivate a passionate NFL fan base for an LA team.

LA has never had an NFL quality stadium. Look back at the threads complaining about the Ralph and then add another 50 years of wear and tear to it.

And Buffalo is setting season ticket sales records this year.

Yeah, THIS year. When we have a new owner, a new coach, are coming off our first winning season in 10 years, and were one of the biggest spenders in the offseason. In the depths of the Gailey/Jauron years, there were a lot of threatened blackouts.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-28-2015, 12:26 PM
And the fact LA supports NCAA football as much as it does would be a hindrance to an NFL team there, not a positive.

LA is enormous, more than large enough to support all 3.

better days
04-28-2015, 12:35 PM
LA is enormous, more than large enough to support all 3.

Yes, LA has a large population.

It is a population composed of haves & have nots.

The haves can fill an NBA arena. And it is a passionate Laker fan base.

As is the fan base for the NCAA football teams in LA a passionate fan base.

LA is also composed of many transients who root for the NFL team from where they are from & they watch that team on the Sunday ticket.

As I said it would take decades to develop a passionate fan base for an LA NFL team.

And the NEW Owner will keep the Bills relevant & fans will continue to support the Bills in Buffalo just as we did through the WORST of times.

better days
04-28-2015, 12:45 PM
And I think LA would have the same problems Tampa & Miami have in regards to fan support.

If either the Bucs or Fins are WINNING, the stadium will be filled with fans of that team.

But if they are losing both stadiums are EMPTY.

And the reason for that is both areas are composed of transients that follow the team from the area they moved from.

The Sports bars in Fla are FILLED on Sundays with fans of MANY different teams.

BertSquirtgum
04-28-2015, 12:57 PM
Oh dear. What makes me "worthless" and the type of person "Rivers is trying to get away from"??? Curious. Just because I have the temerity to speak the truth about Buffalo?!?!? And to call your bull**** what it is...bull****!

It's hilarious how you seem to think that anyone actually gives a **** what you say about anything. Talk about angry people. You have got to be the angriest, and most cringe worthy poster here.

Why?? Because I have the temerity to speak the truth about Buffalo and what it means to be a Catholic where i think one can practice their faith anywhere? Jesus. That's pretty warped when you have to bring sexual molestation into the discussion. Sick and perverted.

I think Buffalo is better place to live than Atlanta. I have the unfortunate duty of visiting Atlanta the end of this week. I'd rather live in Buffalo than Atlanta. Of course, you are correct. Every place has good and bad points. I believe that Buffalo's bad points outweigh their good...by a large margin. You are certainly feee to disagree. Some seem to think some very strange things when they don't agree with someone's opinion....like this poster...

Really?!?!?! Just because I express a well thought out, reasoned and fact based opinion and have the temerity to express it...I need "therapy"?!?!? What exactly for?

Call a psychiatrist now.

WagonCircler
04-28-2015, 01:36 PM

I would waterboard the **** out of you. The world would be a better place.

I wish I still lived in Atlanta. I'd take care of that in a heartbeat.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-28-2015, 01:52 PM
Yes, LA has a large population.

[QUOTE]LA is also composed of many transients who root for the NFL team from where they are from & they watch that team on the Sunday ticket.

Are cities like New York and Chicago not full of transplants? Or, for that matter places like Dallas, Denver, and Phoenix?
Google some pictures of when the 49ers played in Dallas a year ago.

And the NEW Owner will keep the Bills relevant & fans will continue to support the Bills in Buffalo just as we did through the WORST of times.

But we didn't. The fan support for this team started to waver in recent years. Pegula righted a flagging ship. To some extent this is an issue faced by the whole NFL though.

And I think LA would have the same problems Tampa & Miami have in regards to fan support.

If either the Bucs or Fins are WINNING, the stadium will be filled with fans of that team.

But if they are losing both stadiums are EMPTY.

And the reason for that is both areas are composed of transients that follow the team from the area they moved from.

The Sports bars in Fla are FILLED on Sundays with fans of MANY different teams.

Many cities are having problems. Green Bay needed an artificial sellout to avoid a blackout in the playoffs.

Woodman
04-28-2015, 02:01 PM
Rivers would be a nice get, my offer is the rest of our 2015 draft.

2,3,5 ect. ect.

WagonCircler
04-28-2015, 02:19 PM
Rivers would be a nice get, my offer is the rest of our 2015 draft.

2,3,5 ect. ect.

That would be great for the Bills, insane for the Bolts.

Joe Fo Sho
04-28-2015, 02:26 PM
That would be great for the Bills, insane for the Bolts.

I agree. The Chargers need to get a 1st round pick somewhere in the mix. If they don't, then they need an established player. I doubt they give up a top 10 QB for anything less. Well, I can't believe they're willing to trade Rivers in the first place, but I guess stranger things have happened.

notacon
04-28-2015, 04:11 PM
Call a psychiatrist now.

Really? Why?

You can't argue your way out of a wet paper bag, can you?

notacon
04-28-2015, 04:17 PM
I would waterboard the **** out of you. The world would be a better place.

I wish I still lived in Atlanta. I'd take care of that in a heartbeat.

So, you are threatening violence just because I have an opinion you don't agree with? And you obviously support torture, which is the lowest of lowest points of morality there is.

If you were in "the church pew" with Philip Rivers, maybe you should spend a little more time listening to what they are saying on that alter. You project the 180 degree opposite of what Jesus Christ taught us. You don't deserve to call yourself a Catholic since you do not follow what Christ taught.

The last person in the world who is qualified to preach about a city being "Sodom and Gomorra" is you. Try reading the Bible instead of faking that you go to church and actually believe in what being a Catholic is all about.

BidsJr
04-28-2015, 04:30 PM
So, you are threatening violence just because I have an opinion you don't agree with? And you obviously support torture, which is the lowest of lowest points of morality there is.

If you were in "the church pew" with Philip Rivers, maybe you should spend a little more time listening to what they are saying on that alter. You project the 180 degree opposite of what Jesus Christ taught us. You don't deserve to call yourself a Catholic since you do not follow what Christ taught.

The last person in the world who is qualified to preach about a city being "Sodom and Gomorra" is you. Try reading the Bible instead of faking that you go to church and actually believe in what being a Catholic is all about.

If you had actually read the bible, you would know that calling yourself catholic really has little to do with what the Bible teaches as well.

WagonCircler
04-28-2015, 04:39 PM
So, you are threatening violence just because I have an opinion you don't agree with?

No. It's because I would be improving the gene pool.

BertSquirtgum
04-28-2015, 04:41 PM
Really? Why?

You can't argue your way out of a wet paper bag, can you?

I don't want to argue. I just wanted to let you know that you're a douchey nut job. Get help.

better days
04-28-2015, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=better days;4088704]Yes, LA has a large population.

Are cities like New York and Chicago not full of transplants? Or, for that matter places like Dallas, Denver, and Phoenix?
Google some pictures of when the 49ers played in Dallas a year ago.

But we didn't. The fan support for this team started to waver in recent years. Pegula righted a flagging ship. To some extent this is an issue faced by the whole NFL though.

Many cities are having problems. Green Bay needed an artificial sellout to avoid a blackout in the playoffs.

Repost this in a coherent manor if you want a reply.

This is just a terrible disjointed mess of a post.

swiper
04-28-2015, 05:00 PM
If you had actually read the bible, you would know that calling yourself catholic really has little to do with what the Bible teaches as well.

Well that's not actually true. I am Catholic and they teach the readings of the Bible every week. Come sit with me next weekend and I will show you.

notacon
04-28-2015, 05:01 PM
I don't want to argue. I just wanted to let you know that you're a douchey nut job. Get help.

Why do I need "help"??? Just because I have an pinion you don't agree with?? That's as immature as it is silly.

The football side of this site is amazing. Never seen a bigger bunch of rude crybabies. You do't agree with someone and instead of giving the reasons you don't agree you insult and put forth the ridiculous, subject avoiding urging to "get therapy" and "get help". Well, I think it's YOU that needs "help", as in how to act like an adult who can give reasons why they disagree.

notacon
04-28-2015, 05:05 PM

I was not the one who put forth the argument that Rivers would want to come to Buffalo because there are Catholics here and that other parts of the country are just not morally superior enough to have Catholics grace their presence. I was not the one who claims to be "in the church pew" with Rivers and suggesting that moral superiority is white them.

Wagon's rush to threaten violence, at his hand, is evidence enough that he and morality have little in common.

- - - Updated - - -

No. It's because I would be improving the gene pool.

Oh, so now you are threatening to kill me??? Great. You do realize that that is a mortal sin. Wish into the confessional, if you dare.

I need help??? :rofl: :rofl:

BertSquirtgum
04-28-2015, 05:06 PM
Why do I need "help"??? Just because I have an pinion you don't agree with?? That's as immature as it is silly.

The football side of this site is amazing. Never seen a bigger bunch of rude crybabies. You do't agree with someone and instead of giving the reasons you don't agree you insult and put forth the ridiculous, subject avoiding urging to "get therapy" and "get help". Well, I think it's YOU that needs "help", as in how to act like an adult who can give reasons why they disagree.

1-800-Get-Help

notacon
04-28-2015, 05:08 PM
1-800-Get-Help

Again....why???? Why can't you give a coherent reason?? I did not threaten to kill someone. Why can't you make any kind of sense????

WagonCircler
04-28-2015, 05:13 PM
Oh, so now you are threatening to kill me??? Great. You do realize that that is a mortal sin. Wish into the confessional, if you dare.

I need help??? :rofl: :rofl:

Two things, Idiot:

1. Taking everything you see or hear literally is a sign of a well below average intellect.

2. There are plenty of examples of righteous violence in the Bible, Jagoff.

And one bonus thing:

The prevailing reason Rivers seeks to be traded is that he hates LA. He hates it for personal reasons. Buffalo is the inverse of LA, for reasons you're too thick to comprehend.

You might want to think about offing yourself. It must be tiring to be a miserable sack of **** 24/7. It would be a win/win for you and the human race.

swiper
04-28-2015, 05:20 PM
The biggest fights on every board seem to happen in the days leading up to the draft.

BidsJr
04-28-2015, 05:29 PM
Well that's not actually true. I am Catholic and they teach the readings of the Bible every week. Come sit with me next weekend and I will show you.

Actually it is. I was born and raised Catholic and yes they do pick some of the scripture to teach.

WagonCircler
04-28-2015, 05:36 PM
The biggest fights on every board seem to happen in the days leading up to the draft.

This isn't the normal draft fight, though. This is just beating down a troll.

swiper
04-28-2015, 05:37 PM
Actually it is. I was born and raised Catholic and yes they do pick some of the scripture to teach.

Their interpretation of certain parts of the Bible is different than some other Christian denominations certainly.

BidsJr
04-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Their interpretation of certain parts of the Bible is different than some other Christian denominations certainly.

This is certainly true. I would ask this question though and it is the one that I had to come to terms with myself. Where in scripture does it authorize a continuing and changing revelation from God? Because the Papel lineage has ensured that scripture is fluid and not absolute.

Skooby
04-28-2015, 05:57 PM
Getting back to reality, I'd like Rivers.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-28-2015, 06:02 PM
Repost this in a coherent manor if you want a reply.

This is just a terrible disjointed mess of a post.

If you have a question about what I said, ask it.

better days
04-28-2015, 10:52 PM
If you have a question about what I said, ask it.

I can't ask a question about something I did not bother to fully read.

As I said that post is a disjointed mess, not worth the time or effort to read.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-28-2015, 11:03 PM
I can't ask a question about something I did not bother to fully read.

As I said that post is a disjointed mess, not worth the time or effort to read.

It's 7 sentences. Are you confused because I messed up a quote tag?

Are you calling it disjointed because you read your own words and thought they were mine?

better days
04-28-2015, 11:07 PM
It's 7 sentences. Are you confused because I messed up a quote tag?

Are you calling it disjointed because you read your own words and thought they were mine?

I said I did not read it.

In the first place, I hate when people can not keep their thoughts together & have to post them in pieces.

But if you are going to do that, at least do it correctly.

BertSquirtgum
04-28-2015, 11:17 PM
I don't think Marcell will resign with the Bills. Dareus for Rivers. Get er done.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-28-2015, 11:18 PM
I said I did not read it.

You read your own words, got confused, and stopped reading. :rofl: Now you know how the rest of us feel trying to get through your posts.

In the first place, I hate when people can not keep their thoughts together & have to post them in pieces.

It lets me respond directly to individual parts of someone's post. Like I'm doing right now.

But if you are going to do that, at least do it correctly.

Yeah, I'm sorry I missed a quote tag. But if you can't recognize your own words - especially since the first word in the post is the glitched tag with your name on it - then my mistake isn't the biggest problem here.

Just skip everything before the first quote block.

better days
04-28-2015, 11:22 PM
You read your own words, got confused, and stopped reading. :rofl: Now you know how the rest of us feel trying to get through your posts.

It lets me respond directly to individual parts of someone's post. Like I'm doing right now.

Yeah, I'm sorry I missed a quote tag. But if you can't recognize your own words - especially since the first word in the post is the glitched tag with your name on it - then my mistake isn't the biggest problem here.

Just skip everything before the first quote block.

Yeah, well I am smart enough to respond to a post in one single paragraph in most cases.

Especially when responding to concise posts like mine usually are.

And it is easier to just skip that entire disjointed post.

I am certain I did not miss out on anything important.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-29-2015, 12:04 AM
Especially when responding to concise posts like mine usually are.

Its easy to be concise when you have nothing meaningful to say, like your usual post.

If you don't want to read my writing, that's fine. C'est la vie. But if you can't parse through seven sentences, is that really a virtue?

BertSquirtgum
04-29-2015, 12:33 AM
You guys should hug it out.

notacon
04-29-2015, 06:20 AM
Two things, Idiot:

1. Taking everything you see or hear literally is a sign of a well below average intellect.

Actually, it's quite the opposite. All the evidence suggests that I tower over knuckle draggers like you, and you are pissed that you can't keep up.

2. There are plenty of examples of righteous violence in the Bible, Jagoff.

:rofl: Uhhhh....just because there is violence in the Bible does not mean that it condones your torturing and killing. Sorry, but in the real world threatening to torture someone and kill them is not acceptable behavior. Supporting torture is immoral, and you apparently do support and defend G.W. bush's illegal and immoral torture polices. You have shown, without a doubt, that you are very unChristian.

And one bonus thing:

The prevailing reason Rivers seeks to be traded is that he hates LA. He hates it for personal reasons. Buffalo is the inverse of LA, for reasons you're too thick to comprehend.

:rofl: No...as has been proven, LA is a huge Catholic city. You are correct though...Buffalo is the "inverse" of LA. Million and millions of people want to live in LA...no one wants to live in Buffalo. Sure a couple hundred thousand are stuck in that city...if they were honest with themselves, they would bolt that dismal city if they could.

I do understand River's aversion to going there to play football since there would be no hope of him winning (much less even playing in) a Super Bowl before his career ends. YOU were the one who brought up the absurd idea that Buffalo's supposed Catholicness would be a draw to Mr. Rivers. I think you are full of ****, as you usually are.

In any event, it's very, very strange that you would get so upset, threatening to torture and kill me, over something as silly as a football players preference of cities. You are a troubled man.

You might want to think about offing yourself. It must be tiring to be a miserable sack of **** 24/7. It would be a win/win for you and the human race.

Again, you prove that your time in a church has been wasted. This obsession with violence and death is pretty perverse. I do not normally suggest such a thing because it's usually immature and done by morons that cannot refute my superior posts...you need help, son. Seriously, your anger and violence issues seem to have taken over. I suggest that you visit your parish priest and show him these series of posts and get the spiritual help that you so desperately need.

God help you!

trapezeus
04-29-2015, 06:37 AM
I don't think Marcell will resign with the Bills. Dareus for Rivers. Get er done.

why do you think that? To me the story between the lines is that the players on the defensive side know what they did last year and feel like they can do more. and with the bills paying hughes, if the bills d stays on pace or gets better, the bills will commit to the key players. Dareus is huge...or at least was last year.

i think the bills of old would have let dareus go for a marketing pitch, but i really want to believe the pegula owned bills have a different vision.

plus they have a struggling sabres team, if they willingly drag the bills through a similar rebuild and the sabres rebuild isn't going well....it's a real tough sell.

Zoneblitser
04-29-2015, 07:51 AM
Notacon, why do you insist on belittling the bills organization? Sounds like you have an elitist attitude. Can any good thing come from Buffalo?
While there are many places in this country that could offer more to those who live there than Buffalo can, it does not make them better places. Or make them better people.
Something being lost in the growing disparity between the haves and the have nots is a right by each individual to chose as ones own prerogative, how and where they want to live. So please spare me with your prerogative to choose LA over Buffalo to live as being better.

trapezeus
04-29-2015, 08:14 AM
i've been gone from buffalo for 20 Years. but my parents are there, and that's how i will always identify myself...a buffalonian.

that being said, i think buffalo has actually received a ton of good praise and press over the last 2-4 years. and for people to think buffalo can turn around from the bad decisions made from 1940-2000/05 in such a short time span is misguided.

Buffalo will never be the city it was in 1900. and that's fine. but it can be a great small city, big town. and i think people of buffalo and buffalonians like my self would love that. and i think it's on its way there.

if you have money, living in buffalo with a family is amazing. house costs are cheap, food costs are cheap, people a warm and friendly like no where else in my opinion. If you don't have money, that's a nother question. So for philip rivers, a family guy who probably isn't looking for a hopping night life of models and movers and shakers, those types of people see an allure to buffalo.

for a young kid who's been the qb of a top 10 school and wants a posse to follow him around with free sponsor driven schwag and models and cool kids everywhere, buffalo won't fill that. and that doesn't mean buffalo sucks. you aren't getting that in KC, jax, seattle.

i tend to agree with notacon's politics, but his stance on buffalo just seems very outdated. and if you go back regularly, and you see the actual changes in downtown, it's on the right path. and that's the first time you can say that in 60+ years. I'll take it. And all of that kind of follows our team. A brutal history but small changes to show there are signs of hope.

Zoneblitser
04-29-2015, 08:18 AM
i've been gone from buffalo for 20 Years. but my parents are there, and that's how i will always identify myself...a buffalonian.

that being said, i think buffalo has actually received a ton of good praise and press over the last 2-4 years. and for people to think buffalo can turn around from the bad decisions made from 1940-2000/05 in such a short time span is misguided.

Buffalo will never be the city it was in 1900. and that's fine. but it can be a great small city, big town. and i think people of buffalo and buffalonians like my self would love that. and i think it's on its way there.

if you have money, living in buffalo with a family is amazing. house costs are cheap, food costs are cheap, people a warm and friendly like no where else in my opinion. If you don't have money, that's a nother question. So for philip rivers, a family guy who probably isn't looking for a hopping night life of models and movers and shakers, those types of people see an allure to buffalo.

for a young kid who's been the qb of a top 10 school and wants a posse to follow him around with free sponsor driven schwag and models and cool kids everywhere, buffalo won't fill that. and that doesn't mean buffalo sucks. you aren't getting that in KC, jax, seattle.

i tend to agree with notacon's politics, but his stance on buffalo just seems very outdated. and if you go back regularly, and you see the actual changes in downtown, it's on the right path. and that's the first time you can say that in 60+ years. I'll take it. And all of that kind of follows our team. A brutal history but small changes to show there are signs of hope.

Couldn't agree more. Thanks

Bill Cody
04-29-2015, 08:21 AM
entertaining thread

justasportsfan
04-29-2015, 08:31 AM
Notacon, why do you insist on belittling the bills organization? Sounds like you have an elitist attitude.

he has psych issues.

Bill Cody
04-29-2015, 08:32 AM
he has psych issues.

I don't doubt it but what does it say when he's the saner one in these exchanges?

justasportsfan
04-29-2015, 08:33 AM
entertaining thread

I know, right? All because of a rumor that went no where.

notacon
04-29-2015, 08:35 AM
Notacon, why do you insist on belittling the bills organization? Sounds like you have an elitist attitude. Can any good thing come from Buffalo?
While there are many places in this country that could offer more to those who live there than Buffalo can, it does not make them better places. Or make them better people.
Something being lost in the growing disparity between the haves and the have nots is a right by each individual to chose as ones own prerogative, how and where they want to live. So please spare me with your prerogative to choose LA over Buffalo to live as being better.

I did not offer any "belittling of the Bills organization" on this thread. Only the city of Buffalo. Although I have "belittled" the Bills organization many times...Jesus, we haven't even sniffed the playoffs in about 15 years, I think the Bills organization deserves some "belittling"....I did not do so in this thread. Why do you have to make things up to make your point?

I offer my opinion and back it up with reasons for my opinion. You don't agree? Fine. Does not agreeing with me deserve torture and death???

I did not say that LA was a "better place to live" than Buffalo. What I said was that millions of people choose to live there and all Buffalo has seen in the last few decades is people fleeing in droves. Obviously massive amounts of the population of the US has decided that LA is a "better place to live" than Buffalo.

I can see why.

Listen...some people....millions and millions....choose to live in NYC...or Chicago....or Miami....or Atlanta....or any number of cities that may, or may not have desirable attributes. "Better" is a matter of opinion. Having lived in Buffalo for 35 years, I am expressing my opinion of what I think is "better". There are so many places in the US that are "better" than Buffalo to live that I lost count.

You choose to live in that dismal city, that's your business.

notacon
04-29-2015, 08:46 AM

Ahhhhh....finally a reasonable and intelligent response to my opinion. How refreshing.

I do go back to Buffalo regularly since I still have family there. And yes, I too identify myself as a "Buffalonian" and always will. Maybe I am selling the city short and am not appreciating the advancement that I hear about.

Unfortunately, the weather will always suck, and it's not a small matter. I have been spoiled to a certain extent, because I travel extensively and have experienced all the great things this country has to offer. Detroit sucks more than Buffalo. In my opinion, so does Atlanta...and just about the whole state of Florida.

But, when I visit places like Pittsburgh...Denver (and just about any place in Colorado)...Charlotte....Portland....Nashville...Flagstaff....Minneapolis....Indianapolis....I see the lost promise that Buffalo gave up because of decades of neglect and lack of investment and bad, bad government, which ultimately is the responsibility of all it's citizens.

Buffalo can come back. I hope Buffalo does come back and realize a portion of the potential that has been squandered.

There is nothing they can do to have me like it during the winter though.

notacon
04-29-2015, 08:48 AM
he has psych issues.

Really?? Why? Just because we don't agree on political issues does not mean crap. It's stupid, ignorant responses like these that ensure that my assessment that you are not credible is accurate and your opinions are based on nonsense and hubris.

justasportsfan
04-29-2015, 08:58 AM
It's stupid, ignorant responses like these that ensure that my assessment that you are not credible is accurate and your opinions are based on nonsense and hubris.
you're just figuring that out now?

better days
04-29-2015, 09:02 AM
Its easy to be concise when you have nothing meaningful to say, like your usual post.

If you don't want to read my writing, that's fine. C'est la vie. But if you can't parse through seven sentences, is that really a virtue?

Well, anyone that can't write seven sentences & keep them together in a coherent thought is the person that has problems IMO.

Zoneblitser
04-29-2015, 09:04 AM
I do understand River's aversion to going there to play football since there would be no hope of him winning (much less even playing in) a Super bowl before his career ends.

No your not disrespecting the organization at all.

Again, you

God help you!

feldspar
04-29-2015, 09:15 AM

You choose to slam people where they live, and then you're a pud...plain and simple. If you are shocked that this makes you unpopular, then you are an idiot on top of it all.

Some people are actually proud of their community and don't need your approval.

Guess you are ashamed to be "one of us." Well, I guess you really aren't, nor want to be. After all, you're above it.

I suppose that what I'm really saying is go **** yourself.

notacon
04-29-2015, 11:35 AM
what I said..."I do understand River's aversion to going there to play football since there would be no hope of him winning (much less even playing in) a Super bowl before his career ends".

What your response was..."No your not disrespecting the organization at all".

I was talking about LA and not Buffalo. I apologize if I did not make it clear enough so you could understand. I was not "disrespecting" the Bills organization....I was "disrespecting" the nonexistent LA organization.

To be perfectly clear...I have, rightfully, disrespected the Bills organization in the past. They deserved it since they cannot even sniff a playoff berth, much less a championship, in almost 15 years. Do you respect the Bills organization before this season???

notacon
04-29-2015, 11:41 AM
You choose to slam people where they live, and then you're a pud...plain and simple. If you are shocked that this makes you unpopular, then you are an idiot on top of it all.

Some people are actually proud of their community and don't need your approval.

Guess you are ashamed to be "one of us." Well, I guess you really aren't, nor want to be. After all, you're above it.

I suppose that what I'm really saying is go **** yourself.

Awwwwwww......poor you!!!

Jesus. I have been called everything in the book. Honest people usually are "unpopular"....I don't give a **** about being popular. I hold honesty and integrity above that vain trait you obviously hold so dear. I gave my reasons why I think Buffalo is a pit, and my opinion is not isolated. The honest people know what I say is true.

If you are 'proud" of Buffalo, then I surmise that your honesty and analytical skills are pretty poor. I'm not "ashamed to be one of us"....I never hide where i am from. I'm just honest enough to realize and verbalize that the city of Buffalo has been declining for the better part of 50 years and the people that have flooded sway from that hell hole have proven me 100% correct.

You don't like it? Fine. You are a perfect illustration of the Buffalo Rationalization Syndrome that infects too many people.

Oh...I did not "slam" the people that live there. I just feel sorry for them.

Skooby
04-29-2015, 11:49 AM
When you leave the BUF airport, you immediately realize that 1960's are not dead. I grew up in-between Captains cove & Ottos, it still looks exactly the same. Maybe a fence or two is down and some colors of the homes have changed but it's the same. That being said, no one should judge anything or anyone. I live in place quite different from there by choice & opportunity but it's still my home that I will always love, including all the home teams.

feldspar
04-30-2015, 01:03 AM
I have been called everything in the book.

How about "patronizing butt-plug?"

You can add that one to the list.

JohnnyGold
04-30-2015, 04:59 AM
Can you guys stop?
Or exchange numbers and do this over text message?

If we end up getting Rivers tonight, or a rumor pops up today around lunch time that a deal might happen, no one (including myself) wants to sort through 6 pages of you two arguing about religion and/or the relevance of major american metropolitan areas.

thanks in advance.

Historian
04-30-2015, 05:32 AM
When you leave the BUF airport, you immediately realize that 1960's are not dead. I grew up in-between Captains cove & Ottos, it still looks exactly the same. Maybe a fence or two is down and some colors of the homes have changed but it's the same. That being said, no one should judge anything or anyone. I live in place quite different from there by choice & opportunity but it's still my home that I will always love, including all the home teams.

It does not!!!!

Fred Stanfield's office furniture is now a Rite Aid, and Neros is now a Mexican Restaurant.

Shame on you Skooby!

Historian
04-30-2015, 05:33 AM
I would trade the entire draft this year for Rivers, straight up.

Our team is set anyways.

Forward_Lateral
04-30-2015, 06:29 AM
I would trade the entire draft this year for Rivers, straight up.

Our team is set anyways.

I would. I think you are being half serious, or maybe completely serious. I can't tell. But, I would do it. Rivers instantly makes Buffalo a superbowl contender, IMO.

Skooby
04-30-2015, 08:08 AM
It does not!!!!

Fred Stanfield's office furniture is now a Rite Aid, and Neros is now a Mexican Restaurant.

Shame on you Skooby!

Well then, in light of this new evidence......

Dr. Who
04-30-2015, 08:50 AM
Can you guys stop?

If we end up getting Rivers tonight, or a rumor pops up today around lunch time that a deal might happen, no one (including myself) wants to sort through 6 pages of you two arguing about religion and/or the relevance of major american metropolitan areas.

thanks in advance.

Don't worry. If we trade for Rivers, someone will start a new thread.

WagonCircler
04-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Can you guys stop?

thanks in advance.

Hey, do you want me to call 911 for you?

You know, to get rid of that guy who's holding a gun to your head, forcing you to sift through 6 internet pages?

Let me know.

camelcowboy
04-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Hey, do you want me to call 911 for you?

You know, to get rid of that guy who's holding a gun to your head, forcing you to sift through 6 internet pages?

Let me know.
I thinking, not having to read a through a bunch of needless bs is a reasonable request? What number do I dial for that?

dasaybz
04-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Awwwwwww......poor you!!!

Jesus. I have been called everything in the book. Honest people usually are "unpopular"....I don't give a **** about being popular. I hold honesty and integrity above that vain trait you obviously hold so dear. I gave my reasons why I think Buffalo is a pit, and my opinion is not isolated. The honest people know what I say is true.

If you are 'proud" of Buffalo, then I surmise that your honesty and analytical skills are pretty poor. I'm not "ashamed to be one of us"....I never hide where i am from. I'm just honest enough to realize and verbalize that the city of Buffalo has been declining for the better part of 50 years and the people that have flooded sway from that hell hole have proven me 100% correct.

You don't like it? Fine. You are a perfect illustration of the Buffalo Rationalization Syndrome that infects too many people.

Oh...I did not "slam" the people that live there. I just feel sorry for them.

Some things never change huh. Such a drama queen ...

How many years have you been begging for attention?

HHURRICANE
04-30-2015, 01:11 PM
Can't wait to get Rivers in a few hours!

This source has to be right!!

swiper
04-30-2015, 05:34 PM
Can't wait to get Rivers in a few hours!

This source has to be right!!

Sad news......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/30/report-chargers-tell-rivers-he-wont-be-traded/

BertSquirtgum
05-01-2015, 01:23 AM
why do you think that? To me the story between the lines is that the players on the defensive side know what they did last year and feel like they can do more. and with the bills paying hughes, if the bills d stays on pace or gets better, the bills will commit to the key players. Dareus is huge...or at least was last year.

i think the bills of old would have let dareus go for a marketing pitch, but i really want to believe the pegula owned bills have a different vision.

plus they have a struggling sabres team, if they willingly drag the bills through a similar rebuild and the sabres rebuild isn't going well....it's a real tough sell.

because he is going to want as much as Suh and the Bills won't be able to pay him that much.

BertSquirtgum
05-01-2015, 01:57 AM
I did not offer any "belittling of the Bills organization" on this thread. Only the city of Buffalo. Although I have "belittled" the Bills organization many times...Jesus, we haven't even sniffed the playoffs in about 15 years, I think the Bills organization deserves some "belittling"....I did not do so in this thread. Why do you have to make things up to make your point?

I offer my opinion and back it up with reasons for my opinion. You don't agree? Fine. Does not agreeing with me deserve torture and death???

I did not say that LA was a "better place to live" than Buffalo. What I said was that millions of people choose to live there and all Buffalo has seen in the last few decades is people fleeing in droves. Obviously massive amounts of the population of the US has decided that LA is a "better place to live" than Buffalo.

I can see why.

Listen...some people....millions and millions....choose to live in NYC...or Chicago....or Miami....or Atlanta....or any number of cities that may, or may not have desirable attributes. "Better" is a matter of opinion. Having lived in Buffalo for 35 years, I am expressing my opinion of what I think is "better". There are so many places in the US that are "better" than Buffalo to live that I lost count.

You have baby carrot penis syndrome.

BertSquirtgum
05-01-2015, 02:00 AM
There is nothing they can do to have me like it during the winter though.

Buffalo doesn't want skirt wearing nancies like you living there.