PDA

View Full Version : Off-Season Game Plan: Buffalo Sabres

SpikedLemonade
04-27-2015, 03:14 PM
Off-Season Game Plan: Buffalo Sabres

Following a season of epic tanking, the Buffalo Sabres still ended up with the second pick in the draft lottery.

Off-Season Game Plan looks at a team that is now prepared to rebuild in earnest, with Jack Eichel poised to become the centrepiece.

As much as the Sabres were steamrolled last season, with theworst possession of the analytics era (https://twitter.com/travisyost/status/587641579881435137), they have been accumulating young talent and are in position to begin the long climb out of the basement.

The first step will be to find a new head coach and, as bad as the Sabres are currently, it's not a bad gig. The team has an owner with deep pockets who will be willing to spend when it's needed (having already gone the route of spending too much, too soon) and there is enough talent and draft picks in the cupboard that they should continue to get better. Additionally, because they are a young, rebuilding club, there should be some patience that allows the coach to set his system without facing the pressure of contending for a playoff spot right away.

Mike Babcock might be the prize of the coaching free agent market in the offseason, but experienced coaches Dan Bylsma and Todd McLellan are available or a first-time head coach like Luke Richardson could get a look.
No matter who steps in behind the Sabres bench, it's time to start moving this team in the right direction. They will most likely be a lottery team again next season, since they finished 44 points out of a playoff berth in 2014-2015, but if Eichel is on board, closing that gap – while young players improve and gain experience – ought to be the priority.....

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-buffalo-sabres-1.267947

Very in depth and lengthy article.

JATMtheJATM
04-27-2015, 04:06 PM
Every time I see jack eichels name, my crank gets a little harder. A true superstar is coming to buffalo.

The Jokeman
04-27-2015, 04:08 PM
Off-Season Game Plan: Buffalo Sabres

Following a season of epic tanking, the Buffalo Sabres still ended up with the second pick in the draft lottery.

Off-Season Game Plan looks at a team that is now prepared to rebuild in earnest, with Jack Eichel poised to become the centrepiece.

As much as the Sabres were steamrolled last season, with theworst possession of the analytics era (https://twitter.com/travisyost/status/587641579881435137), they have been accumulating young talent and are in position to begin the long climb out of the basement.

The first step will be to find a new head coach and, as bad as the Sabres are currently, it's not a bad gig. The team has an owner with deep pockets who will be willing to spend when it's needed (having already gone the route of spending too much, too soon) and there is enough talent and draft picks in the cupboard that they should continue to get better. Additionally, because they are a young, rebuilding club, there should be some patience that allows the coach to set his system without facing the pressure of contending for a playoff spot right away.

Mike Babcock might be the prize of the coaching free agent market in the offseason, but experienced coaches Dan Bylsma and Todd McLellan are available or a first-time head coach like Luke Richardson could get a look.
No matter who steps in behind the Sabres bench, it's time to start moving this team in the right direction. They will most likely be a lottery team again next season, since they finished 44 points out of a playoff berth in 2014-2015, but if Eichel is on board, closing that gap – while young players improve and gain experience – ought to be the priority.....

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-buffalo-sabres-1.267947

Very in depth and lengthy article.
Nice article, if Chris Kunitz is available I'd take him off the Penguins hands in a heartbeat. Of the Matts they listed I like Irwin, I'm not sold on Lehner as goalie as he's struggled in Ottawa when given extended playing time. I wouldn't mind Daniel Sprong with our second 1st rounder assuming we can't get Bittner.

Downinfloflo
04-27-2015, 04:31 PM
Every time I see jack eichels name, my crank gets a little harder. A true superstar is coming to buffalo.

Teenage boys turn you on.

chernobylwraiths
04-28-2015, 08:46 AM
There is an article in the Buffalo News from Mike Harrington *****ing about the Sabres being the only team in the NHL to not have a season ending "state of the team" press conference.

Skooby
04-28-2015, 08:59 AM
There is an article in the Buffalo News from Mike Harrington *****ing about the Sabres being the only team in the NHL to not have a season ending "state of the team" press conference.

State of the team ?? How about a transitionary state ??

JATMtheJATM
04-28-2015, 09:08 AM

the pistons do a "state of the team" TV show every summer. its really overdone and drawn out. they make a stage, right behind the center court pistons logo, and shorten the court so the hoops are on the sides of the stage, and darken the arena so you can ONLY see the stage and hoops, and actually have an itinerary and go down the list, followed by a Q and A session with season ticket holders. and again, its televised, and the FSD runs the reruns of it all summer long.

its really overdone (especially since no one here really cares about the team) but if the sabres did something like that, id probably be at least interested in what they have to say.

Skooby
04-28-2015, 09:10 AM
the pistons do a "state of the team" TV show every summer. its really overdone and drawn out. they make a stage, right behind the center court pistons logo, and shorten the court so the hoops are on the sides of the stage, and darken the arena so you can ONLY see the stage and hoops, and actually have an itinerary and go down the list, followed by a Q and A session with season ticket holders. and again, its televised, and the FSD runs the reruns of it all summer long.

its really overdone (especially since no one here really cares about the team) but if the sabres did something like that, id probably be at least interested in what they have to say.

How about good riddance ??

JATMtheJATM
04-28-2015, 09:18 AM
what?

Skooby
04-28-2015, 09:29 AM
what?

Good Riddance to the poor coaching & other players we've hung unto creating a losing environment.

JATMtheJATM
04-28-2015, 10:06 AM
that seems fair. though i nolan did a better job some people are willing to admit, im excited to have the chance to get an elite coach behind the bench.