PDA

View Full Version : And you thought we had QB problems...

gebobs
04-27-2015, 06:01 PM
What a steaming pile of horse dung the Titans have. Charlie "Clipboard Jesus" Whitehurst, Zach "Cheese" Mettenberger, and Alex "Trickshot" Tanney who have a total of 500 attempts between them for their careers so far and a combined 2-13 record.

SpikedLemonade
04-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Yeah, but they have the 2nd overall pick and if they believe in Mariota, they will draft him.

They are truly a rebuilding team.

Mace
04-27-2015, 07:02 PM
Yeah, but they have the 2nd overall pick and if they believe in Mariota, they will draft him.

Yeah, that 2nd pick in this particular draft is a whole lot of air freshener and an awesome toilet plunger.

I'll admit I have always been rooting for Tanney to spark and light up the league though I doubt it will happen. Whitehurst is standard backup material, Mettenburger is standard maybe material, and Whisenhunt has some Roethlisberger, Warner and Rivers under his belt to have some perspective on QB's (have to give him a break on being stuck with Derrick Anderson and Kevin Kolb a few years in Arizona). It's a better bunch than what Ryan or David Lee can point to, you have to admit.

feldspar
04-27-2015, 08:09 PM
Yeah, but they shouldn't give up on Cheeseburger just yet, right?

Read the Manuel.

It's all a tough, lucky ball of wax to land your QB, if that makes sense. If not, perhaps I'm insane.

Gilly
04-27-2015, 09:04 PM

They should trade the pick, get as much as possible

Night Train
04-28-2015, 03:25 AM
It's a better bunch than what Ryan or David Lee can point to, you have to admit.

Really ? Not even a big fan of Cassel but he has won 10 games with 2 different teams. He's better that those other 3 combined.

Joe Fo Sho
04-28-2015, 06:31 AM
From what I hear from Titans fans, they liked some of the stuff they saw in Mettenberger last year. I think they're just going to give him a chance this year and if he sucks they'll worry about QB next year. If the Titans aren't convinced that Mariota has the stuff, they may as well keep Mettenberger. They should definitely trade that #2 pick, there are a bunch of teams rumored to want it. If they get what they should for that pick, it could jump start there franchise back to mediocrity where they belong.

Meathead
04-28-2015, 06:40 AM
yeah id rather we have our junk than their junk

cassel can give us a baseline of production any time we want. it wont be fancy, it wont be pretty, he wont win many games by himself. but he is reliably mediocre and wont be a turnover machine. great insurance

and ej still has more potential than any of the titan bums. id let him start over anything they got

trapezeus
04-28-2015, 06:54 AM
titans aren't just bad because of QB. there was some stat on how weak they were during the last half of the season. It's not unimaginable that they are picking top 5 again next year.

if they don't love mariota...and i mean absolutely convinced throughout the organization that he's the man....they need to get that pick to a team who wants him and get as many picks this year and next as possible.

The team as a whole needs to be rebuilt and adding one qb won't be enough.

gebobs
04-28-2015, 06:58 AM
And don't forget, Ryan is not going to put the pressure on Cassel to win. Unlike last year, this is going to be a run-focused offense setting up the pass.

EDS
04-28-2015, 07:04 AM
I would take the "dream/hope" that is Mariota over anything the Bills have at QB.

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2015, 07:30 AM

And you think Mariota is going to come in and light up the world?

He's Jake Locker.

Night Train
04-28-2015, 07:35 AM

He's Jake Locker.

Right now, he's the ultimate 1 read and run QB. His adjustment to the NFL will be severe.

better days
04-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Right now, he's the ultimate 1 read and run QB. His adjustment to the NFL will be severe.

And that is the reason the Titans will have a hard time getting anything of real value for that #2 pick, unless it is from the Eagles.

Bill Cody
04-28-2015, 10:07 AM

He's Jake Locker.

Maybe. Maybe not. I'd take Mariota over Winston. Winston is a punk that's obvious. Mariota may be a project but he's got a ton of upside. You'd just need to be patient which NFL fans hate to be. It's a tough call for them. QB is so far and away the biggest impact player if you have a chance to grab a good one you grab him. All depends what they think of him. You sure as hell don't know whether he's Jake Locker or not, no offense.

gebobs
04-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Maybe. Maybe not. I'd take Mariota over Winston. Winston is a punk that's obvious.
Yup. If only EJ had his talent. AFAICT, EJ's a good kid. I hope he can develop. Please, dear Jove, please.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-28-2015, 10:14 AM

He's Jake Locker.

He is far, far more accurate and durable than Locker. They are very different types of players.

I would say Mariota is Kaepernick with a better attitude. I don't know how successful he'll be, but he's a worthy top prospect.

better days
04-28-2015, 10:17 AM
Maybe. Maybe not. I'd take Mariota over Winston. Winston is a punk that's obvious. Mariota may be a project but he's got a ton of upside. You'd just need to be patient which NFL fans hate to be. It's a tough call for them. QB is so far and away the biggest impact player if you have a chance to grab a good one you grab him. All depends what they think of him. You sure as hell don't know whether he's Jake Locker or not, no offense.

There is no question Winston has the tools to be a better QB than Mariota.

But the question is can he keep his nose clean?

better days
04-28-2015, 10:20 AM
He is far, far more accurate and durable than Locker. They are very different types of players.

I would say Mariota is Kaepernick with a better attitude. I don't know how successful he'll be, but he's a worthy top prospect.

So you are saying Mariota can move like Kaepernick?

I think Mariota is Kaeperkick minus the wheels. It is like a Vette sitting on cinder blocks.

Bill Cody
04-28-2015, 10:20 AM
yeah id rather we have our junk than their junk

Agree. Never covet another man's junk.

Bill Cody
04-28-2015, 10:26 AM

I think Mariota is Kaeperkick minus the wheels. It is like a Vette sitting on cinder blocks.

Marcus Mariotta 40 time 4.52

Colin Kaepernick 40 time 4.53

Wheels seem pretty similar to me. Kap ran more in college than Mariotta but both averaged over 6 YPC. I think Mariotta moves well.

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Yup. If only EJ had his talent. AFAICT, EJ's a good kid. I hope he can develop. Please, dear Jove, please.
AFAICT?

PDNAESAEPTUWTM
(Please do not abbreviate entire sentences and expect people to understand what they mean.)

gebobs
04-28-2015, 10:30 AM
AFAICT?

PDNAESAEPTUWTM
(Please do not abbreviate entire sentences and expect people to understand what they mean.)

You've never seen "as far as I can tell" abbreviated this way? YGBFKM

Night Train
04-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Maybe. Maybe not. I'd take Mariota over Winston. Winston is a punk that's obvious.

He is but he has talent and a far more advanced skill set.

Not so sure about Mariota. He has to be in a very specific scheme to succeed, IMO.

Jan Reimers
04-28-2015, 10:35 AM
You've never seen "as far as I can tell" abbreviated this way? YGBFKM

No, me neither, but I understand YGBFKM.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-28-2015, 11:23 AM

Hardly anyone can move like Kaepernick, he's one of the best QBs at designed runs in NFL history. IMO Mariota would play like him at the NFL level though. Locker was mobile but played a very different type of game.

But calling Mariota a Vette on cinder blocks? What? The guy had 2200 rushing yards and 29 TDs in college. And remember, in college sacks come off your rushing totals so it's hard to keep those #s up.

EDS
04-28-2015, 11:24 AM

Wheels seem pretty similar to me. Kap ran more in college than Mariotta but both averaged over 6 YPC. I think Mariotta moves well.

Mariota is plenty mobile for a QB.

better days
04-28-2015, 11:52 AM

My bad. I did not realize Mariota could move like that, I just knew Kapernick could.

Joe Fo Sho
04-28-2015, 12:15 PM

While it's clear that Mariotta and Kaepernick can both run, there's a difference between straight line speed and elusiveness at the QB position. Kaepernick is one of the most elusive QBs in the NFL, I'm very glad he's regressed on his decision making and throwing ability.

I don't know that it's fair to say that Mariotta can move like Kaepernick on the football field at the pro level until we see it.

Bill Cody
04-28-2015, 01:13 PM
While it's clear that Mariotta and Kaepernick can both run, there's a difference between straight line speed and elusiveness at the QB position. Kaepernick is one of the most elusive QBs in the NFL, I'm very glad he's regressed on his decision making and throwing ability.

I don't know that it's fair to say that Mariotta can move like Kaepernick on the football field at the pro level until we see it.

To be honest I could care less. I'm not saying QB's should never run but running QB's get hurt. And they usually don't win, never mind bringing up the exceptions to the rule. If you watched mariota play at all you can see the guy is light on his feet and a very good runner, very simply he's a great athlete. Again I could care less. What he does throwing the ball is going to determine his success/failure. Is it nice to have the weapon of turning a 3rd and long into a 1st occasionally? Sure. But if anything Mariota is too inclined to tuck and run. Being a great NFL QB is about a quick release and at times being willing to stand in there when the rush is coming. Or being able to slide a few steps and evade the rush. He doesn't have those skills yet. But he's a pretty interesting prospect IMHO. You put him on the Eagles I bet he thrives.

Joe Fo Sho
04-28-2015, 01:24 PM
To be honest I could care less. I'm not saying QB's should never run but running QB's get hurt. And they usually don't win, never mind bringing up the exceptions to the rule. If you watched mariota play at all you can see the guy is light on his feet and a very good runner, very simply he's a great athlete. Again I could care less. What he does throwing the ball is going to determine his success/failure. Is it nice to have the weapon of turning a 3rd and long into a 1st occasionally? Sure. But if anything Mariota is too inclined to tuck and run. Being a great NFL QB is about a quick release and at times being willing to stand in there when the rush is coming. Or being able to slide a few steps and evade the rush. He doesn't have those skills yet. But he's a pretty interesting prospect IMHO. You put him on the Eagles I bet he thrives.

Yes, I agree with you that Mariotta is athletic and can run. My only point is that he hasn't done it at the pro level yet and to compare him to Kaepernick is a bit premature.

I don't want to see him on the Eagles, I know that much.

Bill Cody
04-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Yes, I agree with you that Mariotta is athletic and can run. My only point is that he hasn't done it at the pro level yet and to compare him to Kaepernick is a bit premature.

Leaving that aside, Mariota seems like a nice kid. Kap always seemed punky to me from the tats to the 'tude. Does that matter? Maybe only to me.

Joe Fo Sho
04-28-2015, 01:58 PM
Leaving that aside, Mariota seems like a nice kid. Kap always seemed punky to me from the tats to the 'tude. Does that matter? Maybe only to me.

If you're asking my personal opinion of Kaepernick, I think he's garbage. That might be related to my hatred for the Niners though.

On the other hand, Mariotta has done nothing to make me think less of him as a person. It doesn't necessarily make him a better football player though.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-28-2015, 02:31 PM

None of these draft picks has done anything at the pro level yet. I made the comparison in terms of how they play, not how well they do it. To take another example, Byron Leftwich played a lot like Ben Roethlisberger, just not half as well.

Joe Fo Sho
04-28-2015, 02:54 PM
None of these draft picks has done anything at the pro level yet.

Well of course not.

I made the comparison in terms of how they play, not how well they do it. To take another example, Byron Leftwich played a lot like Ben Roethlisberger, just not half as well.

I understand what you meant, my comment was referring to Bill saying that there "wheels seem pretty similar." I just think that's a hard sell.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-28-2015, 03:00 PM
I understand what you meant, my comment was referring to Bill saying that there "wheels seem pretty similar." I just think that's a hard sell.

Ok I can see that. Kaepernick has unparalleled vision as a runner.

swiper
04-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Hardly anyone can move like Kaepernick, he's one of the best QBs at designed runs in NFL history. IMO Mariota would play like him at the NFL level though. Locker was mobile but played a very different type of game.

But calling Mariota a Vette on cinder blocks? What? The guy had 2200 rushing yards and 29 TDs in college. And remember, in college sacks come off your rushing totals so it's hard to keep those #s up.

Defenders catch up with QBs that can run at some point. And they often hammer them into the ground. If that is the one-dimensional thing one brings to the table, it will inevitably fail.

Exhibit A: Michael Vick

Exhibit B: RGIII

Feel free to switch them out.