PDA

View Full Version : Bills exercise the 5th year option on Gilmore

X-Era
04-28-2015, 03:42 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-pick-up-fifth-year-option-on-CB-Stephon-Gilmore/af48126a-dd62-4357-a4cf-e8e4dd53fa3f

swiper
04-28-2015, 05:02 PM
He needs to prove himself this year. He's a big boy now.

He's got a coach under which he should be able to shine.

Mace
04-28-2015, 05:54 PM
He needs to prove himself this year. He's a big boy now.

He's got a coach under which he should be able to shine.

And they really need to not let him walk away if he does.

Night Train
04-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Last year he started slow and finished quite well.

OpIv37
04-28-2015, 07:23 PM
Another Krusty Brand Seal of Approval player: He's not just good, he's good enough!

Gilmore's not a complete waste in the Maybin/McCargo mold, but he's yet another one who never became the player we were hoping far. Far too much of that with this team.....

Ginger Vitis
04-28-2015, 09:18 PM
Another Krusty Brand Seal of Approval player: He's not just good, he's good enough!

Gilmore's not a complete waste in the Maybin/McCargo mold, but he's yet another one who never became the player we were hoping far. Far too much of that with this team.....

Terrible post.. Gilmore isn't in the Sherman/Revis/Peterson group but he is better than at least 70% of the starting CBs in the NFL

OpIv37
04-28-2015, 09:44 PM
Terrible post.. Gilmore isn't in the Sherman/Revis/Peterson group but he is better than at least 70% of the starting CBs in the NFL
70%? Your vision is clouded by red and blue colored glasses. And a CB taken that high should be in that group. But as usual, Buffalo fans suffer from lowered expectations.

Scumbag College
04-28-2015, 09:47 PM
Gilmore is solid.

The big plays that he gave up last year were due to some pretty good passes or just when the pass rush didn't get there. NFL QBs are going to make throws, and give an NFL QB and WR all day to run around and throw then they are going to make plays on any DB. He's head and shoulders the most talented CB on the Bills right now and is heading into his prime.

better days
04-28-2015, 10:44 PM
70%? Your vision is clouded by red and blue colored glasses. And a CB taken that high should be in that group. But as usual, Buffalo fans suffer from lowered expectations.

Your vision is clouded by 15 years of pessimism.

Gilmore is the best CB the Bills have drafted in a long time.

Well worth keeping after his first contract is finished.

BertSquirtgum
04-28-2015, 11:38 PM
I think Gilmore sucks and has always sucked.

Oaf
04-29-2015, 12:44 AM

How so?

SG let a higher completion percentage (61%) than Leo/CG and didn't rank favorably by the end of November, per PFF (http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/11/29/gilmores-season-is-tough-to-judge/).

From his rookie season I didn't get where all the praise was coming from. He seems good for either a penalty or pass catch every 3rd down.

Oaf
04-29-2015, 12:45 AM

You're joking right? Clements, Winfield? It can even be argued legitimately Leodis and Robey have played better last two years.

Topas
04-29-2015, 02:32 AM

That makes sense, lol. So you are agreeing that he is better than 70% of the CBs. But he might not be in the top 10 which he should be according to the draft position. So your solution would be? To cut him and replace him with a guy that is drafted lower but that is also WORSE than Gilmore!?!?!
That makes sense. So the team would be worse but at least the guy would perform up to his drafting status. Wow, I wonder why you did not already became a GM in the NFL. Looking to learn more from you.

I know, your response will be that you never said that we should cut him. I know. But what is your beef than? That we are praising a good player that plays for the Bills. Good grief, how dare we...
You are only ranting without providing any solutions, suggestions. Weak sauce.

X-Era
04-29-2015, 04:20 AM
Gilmore is a good CB but is always injured whether severely or slightly. He's sort of Spiller in that way. Every time he takes the field you're excited about what you could easily see him do and scared about how easily he could get injured.

Talent wise he's worth the money but I'd just like to see him stay on the field for the whole year.

coastal
04-29-2015, 05:29 AM
He's got that cool CB Predator hair so you know he's worth it.

k-oneputt
04-29-2015, 05:34 AM
Every gm in the league would take Gilmore on their team.

I'm starting to wonder if some here even watch the games or understand what they are watching.

Ginger Vitis
04-29-2015, 05:45 AM
Joe Buscaglia said 2 months ago on WGR it was a "no brainer" that the Bills should pick up Gilmores option and I agree with that sentiment 100%

OpIv37
04-29-2015, 07:00 AM
That makes sense, lol. So you are agreeing that he is better than 70% of the CBs. But he might not be in the top 10 which he should be according to the draft position. So your solution would be? To cut him and replace him with a guy that is drafted lower but that is also WORSE than Gilmore!?!?!
That makes sense. So the team would be worse but at least the guy would perform up to his drafting status. Wow, I wonder why you did not already became a GM in the NFL. Looking to learn more from you.

I know, your response will be that you never said that we should cut him. I know. But what is your beef than? That we are praising a good player that plays for the Bills. Good grief, how dare we...
You are only ranting without providing any solutions, suggestions. Weak sauce.
I never said anything about cutting him. And no I don't agree that he's in the top 70%. Clearly we can't do any better at this point.
Gotta love this board though. Everyone on the team is great, yet somehow the team keeps losing football games. Hmmm....

OpIv37
04-29-2015, 07:02 AM
Your vision is clouded by 15 years of pessimism.

Well worth keeping after his first contract is finished.

The results on the field over the last 15 years aren't pessimism. They're reality. And Gilmore's been part of 4 years of it.

Ginger Vitis
04-29-2015, 07:25 AM
And no I don't agree that he's in the top 70%.

So you think Gilmore is in the bottom 30% of starting CBs in the NFL..LMAO you must think other starting CBs around the league are averaging 1 interception a game and no WRs are catching any passes.. Do you even watch NFl games

OpIv37
04-29-2015, 07:26 AM
So you think Gilmore is in the bottom 30% of starting CBs in the NFL..LMAO you must think other starting CBs around the league are averaging 1 interception a game and no WRs are catching any passes.. Do you even watch NFl games
Oops, said that wrong. I meant to say I don't think he's better than 70% like you claimed.

swiper
04-29-2015, 07:48 AM
Every gm in the league would take Gilmore on their team.

I'm starting to wonder if some here even watch the games or understand what they are watching.

For some, he's not allowed to just be good, he has to be Darelle Revis.

Mahdi
04-29-2015, 07:56 AM
Over 4 years Gilmore has not lived up to first round status and has been average when you stretch his production over 4 years. He had one really good year and the rest have been below average or average. So in all he has been just a starting CB.

Almsost every team in the NFL has a CB better than Gilmore and some have 2.

That being said, if healthy he has the potential to be a top 10-15 CB.

elroy16
04-29-2015, 08:44 AM
Over 4 years Gilmore has not lived up to first round status and has been average when you stretch his production over 4 years. He had one really good year and the rest have been below average or average. So in all he has been just a starting CB.

Almsost every team in the NFL has a CB better than Gilmore and some have 2.

That being said, if healthy he has the potential to be a top 10-15 CB.

Gilmore's only been in the league 3 years.

I never said anything about cutting him. And no I don't agree that he's in the top 70%. Clearly we can't do any better at this point.
Gotta love this board though. Everyone on the team is great, yet somehow the team keeps losing football games. Hmmm....

Yeah... I don't think a single person on this board has ever said that.

I think there are a lot of great players on the defense, you know, the unit that helped win 9 games last year versus the other unit that barely pulled their weight.

The Bills D gave up the 3rd least amount of pass yards, 11th in rushing, and were 4th in points last year. Gilmore was part of a fantastic unit and played a big part. In the GB game, Rodgers threw at Gilmore I believe 5-7 times in the first half, completing one pass. In the second half, Rodgers didn't throw at Gilmore once. If you don't think that's a sign of a very, very talented corner, then I don't know what to tell you.

I think comparing him to Revis and to an extent Sherman is an easy way to knock him. No **** he isn't as good as the best CB to ever play the damn game. He's a damn good corner and due to some injuries, hasn't always played as well as I think he can. He had a great history of health in college, I don't think he missed a single game. Unlucky breaks happen. Hopefully he stays healthy and shows what type of corner he really is, because they're going to need him this year.

Ingtar33
04-29-2015, 09:15 AM
Gilmore is a starting nfl cornerback. he's not elite, he's been hurt far too much to tell what he can really do.

better days
04-29-2015, 09:19 AM
Oops, said that wrong. I meant to say I don't think he's better than 70% like you claimed.

Well, where would you rate Gilmore Opiv?

And can you name a better CB the Bills have drafted since the Super Bowl years?

OpIv37
04-29-2015, 09:21 AM
Well playing behind our DL makes a CB's job much easier, and he's still only middle of the road as a starting corner.

As far as the game against Rodgers, well, it's one game. I could just as easily dig up his worst game in the last 3 years and say it's a sign of him being an awful corner. Bad players have good games and good players have bad games. You need a larger sample size to prove your point.

And to clarify, no, no one has ever said that every player is great. But pick a player on this team and criticize him. No matter how accurate and appropriate the criticism is, someone will defend that player. Collectively, as a board, everyone has their favorite guys and defends them no matter what. If someone who didn't know anything about the team were to read this board, they would think we could beat the NFC pro bowl squad.

OpIv37
04-29-2015, 09:23 AM
Well, where would you rate Gilmore Opiv?

And can you name a better CB the Bills have drafted since the Super Bowl years?
Lmao- using the Bills' drafting as a benchmark? That's setting the bar way too low. But if you must know: Clements, McGee, Winfield were all better than Gilmore.

better days
04-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Lmao- using the Bills' drafting as a benchmark? That's setting the bar way too low. But if you must know: Clements, McGee, Winfield were all better than Gilmore.

I disagree with McGee & Clements but I will give you Winfield.

justasportsfan
04-29-2015, 09:39 AM
You're joking right? Clements, Winfield? It can even be argued legitimately Leodis and Robey have played better last two years.

Gilmore is better than Clements. As far as the Robey and Leodis comments, that's got to be a joke.

justasportsfan
04-29-2015, 09:40 AM
If we let him go, OP will be whining why we let him go without a replacement. This is the same guy who whined about getting rid of Jeff Posey and POZ. Gilmore is waaaay better than those two.

Ed
04-29-2015, 09:46 AM
We knew this was coming, but I would expect the Bills to still sign Gilmore to a new long term deal. An $11 mil cap hit for 2016 is pretty steep considering they also want to re-sign Dareus, Glenn, and Bradham. They should be able to extend him and lower his cap number, but the 5th year option prevents him from having free agency as leverage during negotiation.

k-oneputt
04-29-2015, 09:48 AM
McGee....LOL.

You have lost all credibility.

OpIv37
04-29-2015, 10:14 AM
If we let him go, OP will be whining why we let him go without a replacement. This is the same guy who whined about getting rid of Jeff Posey and POZ. Gilmore is waaaay better than those two.

Of course I will. I never said we should get rid of Gilmore. Despite his flaws, I concede the fact that there is no one better who is currently available. Getting rid of him now would be stupid.

Ginger Vitis
04-29-2015, 10:22 AM
OPIV must really hate Gilmore because easiest assumption ever OPIV hated McGee lol

OpIv37
04-29-2015, 10:36 AM
OPIV must really hate Gilmore because easiest assumption ever OPIV hated McGee lol

That's not true. I hated McGee his rookie year because he was the weak link in an otherwise excellent D. After that he turned into a good but inconsistent CB. He'd have an excellent year followed by a bad year. He always contributed on ST.

justasportsfan
04-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Of course I will. I never said we should get rid of Gilmore. Despite his flaws, I concede the fact that there is no one better who is currently available. Getting rid of him now would be stupid.

so you had no point with the crusty reference other than to ***** about another bills move to keep a good player on the roster. *****ing just to *****?

OpIv37
04-29-2015, 10:44 AM
so you had no point with the crusty reference other than to ***** about another bills move to keep a good player on the roster. *****ing just to *****?

*****ing that the Bills once again over drafted. The failure to get true stars with a lot of very low draft picks is a major reason why this team remains mediocre.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-29-2015, 11:17 AM
People are doing that weird thing again. That thing where they crap all over a Buffalo player's accomplishments if they leave for more money. Clements was far better then Gilmore in their first three seasons.

That said, Gilmore has the tools to be better overall if he stays healthy.

DesertFox24
04-29-2015, 11:17 AM
Look Gilmore is a good CB right now and no one in the league will argue. That being said I want to see how he plays with Rex as the coach, because Rex loves him and even mentioned they would have drafted him. All that being said I will wait to see how he looks this year, he has had an issue with injuries so I am hoping we can stay healthy. All that being said though he could be a top 5 corner in the league but he is not there yet.

Oaf
04-29-2015, 03:38 PM
Gilmore is better than Clements. As far as the Robey and Leodis comments, that's got to be a joke.

I'll literally copy my post from earlier.

How so?

SG let a higher completion percentage (61%) than Leo/CG and didn't rank favorably by the end of November, per PFF (http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/11...ough-to-judge/ (http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/11/29/gilmores-season-is-tough-to-judge/)).

Also, Clements was the best CB in the NFL in 2004: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ClemNa99.htm

emoulds80
04-29-2015, 03:44 PM
good cb, very solid. thomas smith esque, but has potential to be even better. i like him as a player

swiper
04-29-2015, 03:55 PM
People are doing that weird thing again. That thing where they crap all over a Buffalo player's accomplishments if they leave for more money. Clements was far better then Gilmore in their first three seasons.

That said, Gilmore has the tools to be better overall if he stays healthy.

More an issue that certain posters continue to prove they don't know what they are looking at when they watch football.

emoulds80
04-29-2015, 04:02 PM
winfield was the best bills cb i ever saw, actually best bills db ever imo

emoulds80
04-29-2015, 04:03 PM
clements was really good, but it was just frustrating watching him.... i think it was more so the frustration of a bills teams in 02-05 that had some good talent but bad qb play

BertSquirtgum
04-29-2015, 05:43 PM
You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about.

better days
04-30-2015, 02:37 PM
I'll literally copy my post from earlier.

How so?

SG let a higher completion percentage (61%) than Leo/CG and didn't rank favorably by the end of November, per PFF (http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/11...ough-to-judge/ (http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/11/29/gilmores-season-is-tough-to-judge/)).

Also, Clements was the best CB in the NFL in 2004: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ClemNa99.htm

As Rex has said, Gilmore does not give up TD's, only 5 for his CAREER.

And he is just going to get better.

Hell, some CB's give up 5 TD's or more in a season.

BertSquirtgum
05-01-2015, 01:19 AM
Did everyone forget how many time Gilmore got burned over the last three years? and when he wasn't getting burned he was in a t-shirt and shorts because he was hurt. He still has potential but I still wouldn't classify his as "good." He is below average.

k-oneputt
05-01-2015, 06:45 AM
So Gilmore is "below average" ?????

ok.

BertSquirtgum
05-01-2015, 09:52 AM
So Gilmore is "below average" ?????

ok.

I think he blows ass but I wanted to be nice and said he was below average.