PDA

View Full Version : Should The Bills Trade Up To Get Back In The 1st Round For A Tackle?

BillsImpossible
04-28-2015, 07:09 PM
The Bills need to address their offensive line in a major way.

Heading in to the 2015 NFL season without a major addition to the o-line is the 1 thing this off season has not produced. If the Bills can draft a starting tackle, Glenn can move to guard (or right tackle) and the offensive line will look a hell of a lot better than it does today.

Doug Whaley said he's not going to trade away picks to move up this year like he did in 2014. Do you believe him?

I don't believe him. Whaley traded away this year's 1st rounder (the 19th pick) because he knew the Bills would be a good team in 2014, and he was right. They didn't make the playoffs, but they were a good enough team to make his point - the Bills gave up the 19th pick this year (and a 4th rounder) to draft Sammy Watkins.

Are the Bills kicking themselves in the ass over losing this year's 19th overall pick?

The Browns got left holding the bag. I bet the Browns wish they drafted Sammy Watkins instead of trading with the Bills.

Would you rather have Eric Ebron and his 1 TD, 25 reception rookie performance? That's who the Bills would have probably taken last year if Cleveland didn't bark.

Shouldn't the same logic apply for this year?

The Bills expect to be a better team than last year. If so, they'll be picking somewhere between 20 and 32 late in the first round of 2016.

Why hold on to what will likely be a late first round pick in 2016 when you can use it to get a great player that 99% of the time is only available in the early 1st round?

Trading up to get back in to the 1st round makes sense. This year's draft is not very good in overall talent. Some draft's are deep in talent, this one is not. Why not make a deal to a team looking to stockpile draft picks for a rebuild in 2016?

If the Bills can land a starting rookie tackle by trading up to the 1st round on Thursday night, they're going to the playoffs in 2015 no matter who starts at QB.

If the 2015 Buffalo Bills can protect their quarterback, they won't need to draft one in 2016.

Mace
04-28-2015, 07:28 PM
I don't think they should spend anything whatever for anyone whyever this year.

I still don't see why Sammy Watkins is the de facto number 1 pick two years in a row for a rushing offense without a QB and if Whaley does it I'd get rid of him before the draft even went any farther, youtubing his asphalt dive into the parking lot for maximum humiliation.

It's a fine project draft for us to get project players and not spend a thing we can't afford on project players meant to be projects.

Ginger Vitis
04-28-2015, 09:13 PM
Trading up to get back in to the 1st round makes sense. This year's draft is not very good in overall talent.

If this draft is not good in overall talent why would you want to waste next years 1st Round pick to move up.. And you're implying they could move up into the Top 10? Top 5? You 're going to need to give up more than 1 1st rounder to go from 50 into the top 10.

better days
04-28-2015, 10:46 PM
Whaley has said if the Bills do make a trade, it will be a trade back, not a trade up.

BertSquirtgum
04-28-2015, 11:09 PM
The Bills need to address their offensive line in a major way.

Heading in to the 2015 NFL season without a major addition to the o-line is the 1 thing this off season has not produced. If the Bills can draft a starting tackle, Glenn can move to guard (or right tackle) and the offensive line will look a hell of a lot better than it does today.

Doug Whaley said he's not going to trade away picks to move up this year like he did in 2014. Do you believe him?

I don't believe him. Whaley traded away this year's 1st rounder (the 19th pick) because he knew the Bills would be a good team in 2014, and he was right. They didn't make the playoffs, but they were a good enough team to make his point - the Bills gave up the 19th pick this year (and a 4th rounder) to draft Sammy Watkins.

Are the Bills kicking themselves in the ass over losing this year's 19th overall pick?

The Browns got left holding the bag. I bet the Browns wish they drafted Sammy Watkins instead of trading with the Bills.

Would you rather have Eric Ebron and his 1 TD, 25 reception rookie performance? That's who the Bills would have probably taken last year if Cleveland didn't bark.

Shouldn't the same logic apply for this year?

The Bills expect to be a better team than last year. If so, they'll be picking somewhere between 20 and 32 late in the first round of 2016.

Why hold on to what will likely be a late first round pick in 2016 when you can use it to get a great player that 99% of the time is only available in the early 1st round?

Trading up to get back in to the 1st round makes sense. This year's draft is not very good in overall talent. Some draft's are deep in talent, this one is not. Why not make a deal to a team looking to stockpile draft picks for a rebuild in 2016?

If the Bills can land a starting rookie tackle by trading up to the 1st round on Thursday night, they're going to the playoffs in 2015 no matter who starts at QB.

If the 2015 Buffalo Bills can protect their quarterback, they won't need to draft one in 2016.

Why do you keep asking the same question in other ways? The Bills don't need a tackle. They need a guard/center. They should stay where they are and draft a center in the second round.

Topas
04-29-2015, 02:37 AM
I lost count. So you suggest that the Bills should use the 2nd round pick on a RB, a safety, a guard AND use it to trade up?
Please correct me if I missed something.
Are you JLB, by the way?

Night Train
04-29-2015, 03:36 AM
Please stop. You aren't adding a thing to this forum outside of telling the world you have bad ADHD.

YardRat
04-29-2015, 04:40 AM
No.

alohabillsfan
04-29-2015, 04:56 AM
Super bad idea! That is all!

MillsapsBillsFan
04-29-2015, 08:11 AM
Weakest Draft in a while. Bills shouldnt move up for any one or any position

Bill Cody
04-29-2015, 08:19 AM

That remains to be seen. Or is the 19th pick in the draft worthless?

You're literally all over the map on this draft. Take the blue pill and relax.

OpIv37
04-29-2015, 08:29 AM
If there were a dominant tackle available and the Bills were a tackle away from winning, I'd say go for it.

But neither of those things are true. Trading up for a T now doesn't solve the lack of a first round pick- it just delays it until next year.

Bill Cody
04-29-2015, 08:49 AM

You don't know that. It could have been Odell Beckham Jr. He looks pretty good to me. And this is random, but I'm going to throw it out there. I'm a Ga Bulldogs fan and the guy that is going to surprise people coming out of this draft is Todd Gurley. Gurley tore his ACL last year and RB's are not seen as valuable as they used to be but if this kid can stay healthy he's headed for the Hall of Fame. Freakish combination of size, speed and strength. If Cleveland decides to call his name at 19 you might want to hold off saying they're holding the bag.

emoulds80
04-29-2015, 08:52 AM
trade back ( twice if possible). stack talent and surround your game manager cassell with the best possible team.

- - - Updated - - -

you want to the point where your late round picks cant even make the roster and go to the ps or another team because your team has so much depth

better days
04-29-2015, 08:59 AM
You don't know that. It could have been Odell Beckham Jr. He looks pretty good to me. And this is random, but I'm going to throw it out there. I'm a Ga Bulldogs fan and the guy that is going to surprise people coming out of this draft is Todd Gurley. Gurley tore his ACL last year and RB's are not seen as valuable as they used to be but if this kid can stay healthy he's headed for the Hall of Fame. Freakish combination of size, speed and strength. If Cleveland decides to call his name at 19 you might want to hold off saying they're holding the bag.

No, we do know the Bills would have drafted Ebron if they did not make the trade for Sammy.

It would not have been Beckham, no matter how good he looks in hindsight.

Bill Cody
04-29-2015, 09:10 AM
No, we do know the Bills would have drafted Ebron if they did not make the trade for Sammy.

It would not have been Beckham, no matter how good he looks in hindsight.

link?

better days
04-29-2015, 09:15 AM
link?

I heard it on WGR, you may be able to find it in their archives if you don't believe me.

MillsapsBillsFan
04-29-2015, 09:38 AM
I cant find an actual link, but theres a couple after the draft that say Bills insiders said the pick likely would have been Ebron

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/01/16/fan-friday-1-16-2/

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/05/09/inside-draft-room-buffalo-made-trade-land-sammy-watkins/

Its the first question on that first link and one of the last paragraphs on that second story. I dont see anything that says they would have drafted ebron 100%, but thats most likely what would have happened

better days
04-29-2015, 01:03 PM
I cant find an actual link, but theres a couple after the draft that say Bills insiders said the pick likely would have been Ebron

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/01/16/fan-friday-1-16-2/

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/05/09/inside-draft-room-buffalo-made-trade-land-sammy-watkins/

Its the first question on that first link and one of the last paragraphs on that second story. I dont see anything that says they would have drafted ebron 100%, but thats most likely what would have happened

It was quite a while ago, but I think I head it on the Howard Simon show.

Someone on that show said Whaley told him that if the Bills did not make the trade for Sammy, Ebron would have been the choice.

Mr. Pink
04-30-2015, 09:02 AM
The Bills should trade back if the opportunity presents itself. Now obviously I don't mean trading out of the second round altogether but with them not having a lot of picks this year and a few holes plus needing some depth trading down from like 50 to 60 while picking up a 4th isn't a bad move.

paladin warrior
04-30-2015, 09:07 AM
NO

emoulds80
04-30-2015, 09:42 AM
if anything we need more picks, and i anticipate whaley doing that

- - - Updated - - -

the talent and bulk of this draft is rds 2-5, thats where you want the bulk of your picks imo

emoulds80
04-30-2015, 09:42 AM
not lots top big time talent in this draft. if i was in the 1st, id trade out unless i was picking in the top15

im always of the opinion to trade down. the draft is such a crap shoot, and you want as many chances as possible. pats do this every year

The Jokeman
04-30-2015, 09:46 AM
The Bills should trade back if the opportunity presents itself. Now obviously I don't mean trading out of the second round altogether but with them not having a lot of picks this year and a few holes plus needing some depth trading down from like 50 to 60 while picking up a 4th isn't a bad move.

Whaley likes to play the draft board so it wouldn't shock me us to make a move like that. Especially with him harping on best player available it tells me he isn't targeting anyone specifically. Of course that could all be a smoke screen but this is the first draft in awhile it's really tough to say who we'll be taking and/or what position. Although OG seems the most logical fit.