PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cassel Wins Day 1 of The Quarterback Competition

BillsImpossible
04-28-2015, 07:40 PM
Ryan wasn’t shy in sharing who left a good first impression in day one of what will be three days of practice sessions this week leading up to the draft.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/QB-rotation-begins-at-veteran-minicamp/d035e9fb-d2ce-4861-bd3d-01ef17c07d9f

“The thing I noticed with (Matt) Cassel, the ball comes out in rhythm, it’s here, boom, boom, boom, hitting it,” said Ryan. “EJ was impressive to me today. I’d still like to see it speed up just a tad, but he was impressive. Tyrod made some huge plays today. He throws a deep ball extremely well. You put him on the move he’s a dangerous weapon out there. Tuel wasn’t as impressive. There are a couple of things he’s got to get a little better at, but overall, I was impressed with the group.”

feldspar
04-28-2015, 07:46 PM
Fuel wasn't as impressive...

Ed
04-28-2015, 07:50 PM
I hope they realize pretty quickly that having Tuel take any reps away from the other three is a big waste.

Mace
04-28-2015, 07:51 PM
I have a feeling, Roman never missed much, he saw what worked for Weis and it's right down his path, like Schwartz didn't miss much, saw what worked and used it because it is right down his path.

I'm no fan whatever of Cassel, but he might be the perfect fit here if Manuel isn't a younger version.

jimmifli
04-28-2015, 07:58 PM
Tuel wasn’t as impressive. There are a couple of things he’s got to get a little better at,

Jeff Tuel right now...
http://i.imgur.com/6rNsg9k.jpg

Meathead
04-28-2015, 08:33 PM
not surprising that the seasoned vet would grasp things first. dont think it means anything in the long run. i wish rexy had elaborated on what he meant by ej being impressive, tho that wouldnt mean much either

the thing i noticed about tuel is any time he tries to put touch on the ball he floats it. if he has to try to drop the ball over a defender it just sort of lobs instead of dropping in the basket, as they say. its like he just doesnt know how to throw that kind of pass. if hes darting it hes fine. hes been around long enough that he should be right up there with everybody except maybe cassel. with three other guys to evaluate, tuel probably will drop out of the rotation pretty quick i would think

id also think they are gonna have to pick a third place soon. its bad enough trying to get enough reps and familiarity with the starters having two guys in a competition, if you have three youre asking for trouble. somebody is going to have to take a backseat, certainly shortly after training camp opens at the least. the sooner they do that the more they can concentrate on then picking the guy who will get most of the starter reps. thats gonna be pretty important with everybody being new in this offense

BillsFanCupp38
04-28-2015, 09:08 PM
Y'all see rexy's face light up when he talked about tyrod Taylor? I'm not so sure Cassel won day one...

IlluminatusUIUC
04-28-2015, 11:51 PM
I hope they realize pretty quickly that having Tuel take any reps away from the other three is a big waste.

He's a camp arm and at bare minimum he at least has some experience with these wideouts. No reason to cut or marginalize him this early in the process.

Oaf
04-29-2015, 01:03 AM
I saw this mentioned elsewhere, but if we could trade EJ for a 4th, I'd take it.

Go ahead and draft your QB of choice at 50 (if there), prep him to start '16, cut the worse of Tuel/Taylor.

Forward_Lateral
04-29-2015, 05:32 AM
I think Tyrod will be the opening day starter, and Rex is trying to keep that under wraps as long as possible.

k-oneputt
04-29-2015, 05:37 AM
I would be surprised if Cassel is NOT the starting qb.
Taylor will be #2, draft pick #3.

Night Train
04-29-2015, 07:03 AM
Y'all see rexy's face light up when he talked about tyrod Taylor? I'm not so sure Cassel won day one...

Hitting the long ball and keeping plays alive with his feet will garner him a roster spot. He was not just a camp signing at all.

Rex has talked positive about him several times now and Rex has zero filter when expressing what's on his mind.

Bill Cody
04-29-2015, 08:11 AM
Jeff Tuel right now...
http://i.imgur.com/6rNsg9k.jpg

ok so why does Bob have boobs?

Joe Fo Sho
04-29-2015, 08:13 AM

Please watch Fight Club.

Bill Cody
04-29-2015, 08:28 AM
Please watch Fight Club.

hmm...just read the Wickepedia post on the movie....I'm thinking no. Still not clear why Bob has boobs either

Bill Cody
04-29-2015, 08:30 AM
Please watch Fight Club.

ok wait...is that from the movie...maybe a support group? Is Bob becoming a woman? Confused

justasportsfan
04-29-2015, 08:37 AM

thats not Bob. Thats Rex Ryan

IlluminatusUIUC
04-29-2015, 09:46 AM
hmm...just read the Wickepedia post on the movie....I'm thinking no. Still not clear why Bob has boobs either

If you read the Wikipedia article before watching the movie, it blows the big twist of the movie.

Too bad, it's one of my favorite books/films.

Joe Fo Sho
04-29-2015, 09:57 AM
ok wait...is that from the movie...maybe a support group? Is Bob becoming a woman? Confused

That image is from the movie, yes.

It really is one of the greatest movies I've ever watched. Like IlluminatusUIUC said though, reading the wiki post probably ruined it. Oh well, it didn't seem like you were interested in it anyway.

Ed
04-29-2015, 10:20 AM
He's a camp arm and at bare minimum he at least has some experience with these wideouts. No reason to cut or marginalize him this early in the process.
Yeah no reason to cut him. You need four qb's in camp, I'd just prefer to not see him take starter reps away from the other guys.

Bill Cody
04-29-2015, 10:31 AM
That image is from the movie, yes.

It really is one of the greatest movies I've ever watched. Like IlluminatusUIUC said though, reading the wiki post probably ruined it. Oh well, it didn't seem like you were interested in it anyway.

Seems like it was well done but you're right that kind of thing really isn't my cup of tea