PDA

View Full Version : Peter King: Ten Things I Think I’m Hearing About the Draft

swiper
04-29-2015, 04:18 AM
Ten Things I Think I’m Hearing About the Draft
Wed Apr. 29, 2015
Less than 48 hours before the start of round one, the NFL is abuzz with rumors. Here's the latest on La'el Collins' police problem, the Top 10 team that's air-tight and what the Patriots might do at No. 32. Plus, readers respond to my mock draft

1. I think La’el Collins, the LSU tackle projected to be a first-round draft choice Thursday night, has a problem. A pregnant woman Collins apparently knew was murdered last week in Louisiana, and police want to speak with Collins. Police say he is not a suspect. But one team I talked to that is interested in drafting a tackle in the first round is now re-thinking whether Collins will even be on its board Thursday night. This team’s thinking goes: How can you draft a guy who’s being sought in connection with the death of a woman, even if police are saying now he isn’t a suspect? He needs to be exonerated by Thursday. Fair or unfair, Collins needs to address this today, and with finality.

2. I think Tennessee, Tampa Bay and Jacksonville, three of the first four teams in the second round, all have inquired with late-first-round teams about trading up into the bottom of the first round. I’ll be following that in the hours before the draft.

3. I think Dallas, at pick 27 in round one, would love Melvin Gordon to fall to that spot. But two names to watch if the Cowboys stay at 27: UCLA inside linebacker Eric Kendricks and Mississippi State inside ‘backer Benardrick McKinney.

4. I think UConn cornerback Byron Jones is the perfect metaphor for this draft, in which one team’s 15th player on the board could be another team’s 55th. I’ve heard Jones as high as 15th to San Francisco, and as low as the fifties to the Eagles, Steelers or Ravens.

5. I think no one knows what Mike Maccagnan and the New York Jets are doing. That’s a tribute to the tight and leak-proof ship Maccagnan must be running in his first draft.

6. I think the Patriots are in a great spot at 32. So many teams high in the second round want to move up, and the Patriots don’t have to take anyone here. If they could get the 2016 first-round pick of a current bad team, I’d do that deal in a second…

7. … I think there’s one exception. New England likes USC wide receiver Nelson Agholor. If I were Bill Belichick, I wouldn’t be getting cute late in the first round, particularly with three picks between 96 and 101. I’d take the guy I’d like. Even if I could get an attractive first-round picks next year for the 32nd pick, I’d still take a receiver Agholor now if I could. (But I do think he’ll be gone before 32.)

8. I think I heard this from a smart GM Wednesday night: “I know everybody’s got Tennessee taking Marcus Mariota, and that’s probably how it goes. But it will not shock me if Cleveland trades the farm to get him at two. [Owner] Jimmy Haslam has to be sick of the merry-go-round at quarterback, and he has to be embarrassed by the Johnny Manziel pick last year. How could he not want a squeaky-clean quarterback like Mariota to lead his franchise?”

9. I think the Bucs haven’t gotten an offer that would come close to them considering trading the first overall pick Thursday night.

10. I think I believed I was going out on a limb in my mock draft (http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/28/peter-king-2015-nfl-mock-draft/), putting Texas A&M tackle Cedric Ogbuehi in the first round (Denver, pick 28). Ogbuehi had ACL surgery in January after tearing it in his last college football game. But now comes this revelation: Cincinnati, at 21, also is considering Ogbuehi, even with a cadre of good tackle prospects who actually would be able to play on opening day this season instead of likely being on the physically-unable-to-perform list at the start of the season. It’s an interesting dilemma. But it goes to show you that teams with a tackle need are willing to wait, say, a half-season or longer if they think there’s a premier player out there who will have a long career but just might not be ready to start at the beginning of his rookie year.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/29/lael-collins-nfl-draft-rumors-buzz-mailbag/

swiper
04-29-2015, 04:40 AM
More Peter King from 4/27/15:

Why no one can predict this draft.

Very little consensus about the order of the top players this year. Have you noticed? It’s been that way consistently since the end of the college season. There’s not an Andrew Luck, or even a Jadeveon Clowney, this year—a player who would be rated the best on the board of most teams or most analysts. When I asked six analysts in the past week for their top 10 players in this draft (regardless of position), four different players were number one: three nods to USC’s Leonard Williams, and one apiece to Amari Cooper, Jameis Winston and Dante Fowler.

The book on this draft, essentially, is that there is no book. Trendspotting the top 10 players in this draft, according to six analysts:

<tbody>
Gil Brandt
NFL.com
Greg Cosell
NFL Films
Daniel Jeremiah
NFL Network
Mel Kiper
ESPN
Todd McShay
ESPN
Pro Football
Focus

1. L. Williams
DT, USC
1. Dante Fowler
OLB, Florida
1. L. Williams
DT, USC
1. L. Williams
DT, USC
1. J. Winston
QB, Florida State
1. Amari Cooper
WR, Alabama

2. Dante Fowler
OLB, Florida
2. Todd Gurley
RB, Georgia
2. Kevin White
WR, W. Virginia
2. Amari Cooper
WR, Alabama
2. L. Williams
DT, USC
2. Danny Shelton
DT, Washington

3. Amari Cooper
WR, Alabama
3. Amari Cooper
WR, Alabama
3. Amari Cooper
WR, Alabama
3. Dante Fowler
OLB, Florida
3. Amari Cooper
WR, Alabama
3. Dante Fowler
OLB, Florida

4. Kevin White
WR, W. Virginia
4. Trae Waynes
CB, Mich. St.
4. Dante Fowler
OLB, Florida
4. J. Winston
QB, Florida State
4. Kevin White
WR, W. Virginia
4. Vic Beasley
OLB, Clemson

5. J. Winston
QB, Florida State
5. L. Williams
DT, USC
5. J. Winston
QB, Florida State
5. Marcus Mariota
QB, Oregon
5. Dante Fowler
OLB, Florida
5. D. Parker
WR, Louisville

6. Todd Gurley
RB, Georgia
6. Randy Gregory
DE, Nebraska
6. Shane Ray
DE, Missouri
6. B. Scherff
T, Iowa
6. Marcus Mariota
QB, Oregon
6. L. Williams
DT, USC

7. Marcus Mariota
QB, Oregon
7. Marcus Mariota
QB, Oregon
7. Marcus Mariota
QB, Oregon
7. Kevin White
WR, W. Virginia
7. B. Scherff
T, Iowa
7. La’el Collins
T, LSU

8. B. Scherff
T, Iowa
8. J. Winston
QB, Florida State
8. D. Parker
WR, Louisville
8. D. Parker
WR, Louisville
8. D. Parker
WR, Louisville
8. Randy Gregory
DE, Nebraska

9. Trae Waynes
CB, Mich. St.
9. Kevin White
WR, W. Virginia
9. Danny Shelton
DT, Washington
9. Shane Ray
DE, Missouri
9. Todd Gurley
RB, Georgia
9. Henry Anderson
DE, Stanford

10. B. Perriman
WR, UCF
10. Andrus Peat
T, Stanford
10. Trae Waynes
CB, Mich. St.
10. Danny Shelton
DT, Washington
10. Arik Armstead
DE, Oregon
10. N. Agholor
WR, USC

</tbody>

The big calls from each analyst:
• Brandt: Todd Gurley number six … Breshad Perriman the number three receiver in the class.

• Cosell: Todd Gurley as the second-best player in the class … Andrus Peat as the best tackle … Marcus Mariota over Jameis Winston.

• Jeremiah: Kevin White over Amari Cooper … Shane Ray the number two pass-rusher … Danny Shelton cracking the top 10.

• Kiper: Brandon Scherff over every wideout except Amari Cooper … No Trae Waynes in the top 10.

• McShay: Arik Armstead cracks the top 10 … Two wideouts ahead of Dante Fowler … Another Todd Gurley fan.

• PFF: Stanford’s Henry Anderson, stunningly, a top-10 player … Shelton, who may be a two-down player, number two … Nelson Agholor over Kevin White.

The moral of the draft this year is that it’s a beauty-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder draft. It should be fun Thursday night, just because most of what happens will have a surprise element to it.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/27/philip-rivers-trade-titans-chargers-nfl-draft/

HHURRICANE
04-29-2015, 05:56 AM
For all the ripping on Whaley this draft in the first round is not spectacular.

Goobylal
04-29-2015, 06:25 AM
True but I'd still rather have one and have given up last year's 2nd rounder like Cleveland asked for originally.

trapezeus
04-29-2015, 06:33 AM
i feel like peter king is the mouthpiece for a lot of GMs. and he spreads the rumors they want. in return he gets the inside, player feeling scoops and discussions with goodell.

when it comes to those stories, he's very good and a great read.

when it comes down to his predictions and his football acumen, i find him to usually be incorrect and no different than any other fan.

elroy16
04-29-2015, 09:01 AM

I've heard a lot about the top of the draft not having a ton of good players, only 15-20 players with first round grades. At the same time, I've read that throughout the draft, there is quite a bit of depth at a number of positions. If that's true, why would teams want to trade up from the second to the bottom of the first? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Bill Cody
04-29-2015, 09:11 AM
I've heard a lot about the top of the draft not having a ton of good players, only 15-20 players with first round grades. At the same time, I've read that throughout the draft, there is quite a bit of depth at a number of positions. If that's true, why would teams want to trade up from the second to the bottom of the first? Doesn't really make sense to me.

For one thing you lock the player up for an extra year

better days
04-29-2015, 09:11 AM
True but I'd still rather have one and have given up last year's 2nd rounder like Cleveland asked for originally.

We will have to see how Kouandjio pans out VS who they could have gotten this year at #19 to see about that.

Goobylal
04-29-2015, 12:51 PM
We will have to see how Kouandjio pans out VS who they could have gotten this year at #19 to see about that.
Except that we don't know who the Bills would have taken at 19. And the early returns on Kujo aren't promising.

better days
04-29-2015, 01:10 PM
Except that we don't know who the Bills would have taken at 19. And the early returns on Kujo aren't promising.

We will only know who was available at #19.

As far as Kouandjio, reports are he has worked his butt off in the off season to improve.

That sounds promising to me.

emoulds80
04-29-2015, 02:02 PM
i think gurley is a good back, talented. i dont think he is special, at all.... dont see it sry

i actually think yeldon is special imo, would actually not mind if we took him. srsly

Goobylal
04-29-2015, 08:08 PM
We will only know who was available at #19.

As far as Kouandjio, reports are he has worked his butt off in the off season to improve.

That sounds promising to me.
Let's hope.

DraftBoy
04-30-2015, 08:07 AM
Regarding King's first point on OT Collins, reports from multiple sources last night said that a number of NFL teams have removed him from their draft board all together.

Goobylal
04-30-2015, 10:46 AM
Regarding King's first point on OT Collins, reports from multiple sources last night said that a number of NFL teams have removed him from their draft board all together.
No surprise.