PDA

View Full Version : Would you want Vanek back ??

Skooby
04-30-2015, 08:35 AM
Well would you ??

rbochan
04-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Perhaps on the 4th line. At league minimum salary.

Other than that, **** no.

OpIv37
04-30-2015, 09:00 AM
No. He's not a leader and he's inconsistent.

The Jokeman
04-30-2015, 09:52 AM
Well would you ??

He's past his prime and not the goal scorer he used to be. He's still a top 6 forward but don't think he brings us what we need. As to me we need a winger with a little grit who can also get a goal when needed. Chris Stewart fits the mold but he never did that in his time here. Chris Kunitz be a nice guy to fit the spot and don't think it cost much to get him away from Pittsburgh. but at 35 he might be too old.

JATMtheJATM
04-30-2015, 02:38 PM
Yes. Vanek isn't what he once was, but the sabres need wingers (vaneks natural position is LW) but he's also played stretches at RW and actually played well.

I'm talking about his stint in buffalo, nothing beyond that.

coastal
04-30-2015, 03:06 PM
Yes. Vanek isn't what he once was, but the sabres need wingers (vaneks natural position is LW) but he's also played stretches at RW and actually played well.

I'm talking about his stint in buffalo, nothing beyond that.
Maybe we can put him on a line with Hodgson

JATMtheJATM
04-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Maybe we can put him on a line with Hodgson

well, youd see hodgsons production hop back up to where it was.

coastal
04-30-2015, 03:22 PM
Sure thing

Shady25
04-30-2015, 03:46 PM
Shady would love Vanek back, he was a very poor gambler. Shady made quite a bit of money off of his poor bets.

Downinfloflo
04-30-2015, 04:11 PM
Vanek??

Why?, why?, What?

Ingtar33
05-01-2015, 08:10 AM
in a heartbeat. we need people who can put the puck in the net. Vanek can do that. We were hands down the worst offensive team in the league last year. adding vanek would be a nice boost to our power play, give us a solid goal scorer in front of the net, and add some talent on the wing (currently we have none). with all the center talent we have in the system, some goal scoring on the wings would be nice.

mightysimi
05-01-2015, 08:16 AM
in a heartbeat. we need people who can put the puck in the net. Vanek can do that. We were hands down the worst offensive team in the league last year. adding vanek would be a nice boost to our power play, give us a solid goal scorer in front of the net, and add some talent on the wing (currently we have none). with all the center talent we have in the system, some goal scoring on the wings would be nice.

At some point all of these prospects need to play in order to improve. Whose spot does he take in the line up?

mightysimi
05-01-2015, 08:17 AM

You can only dream it hops back up to 45 points and -26. Lol. He might improve but he seems to be such a head case.

JATMtheJATM
05-01-2015, 02:05 PM
You can only dream it hops back up to 45 points and -26. Lol. He might improve but he seems to be such a head case.

hey, hed be back among the team leaders!

OpIv37
05-01-2015, 02:22 PM

No, Vanek can't put the puck in the back of the net. One of the reasons why we are in this situation is because Darcy thought he could and tried to build a team around him, Roy and Pominville.

Vanek's good on the PP- especially in front of the net. I'll give you that. But he is not a reliable goal scorer and is overpriced for his production.

JATMtheJATM
05-01-2015, 02:31 PM
No, Vanek can't put the puck in the back of the net. One of the reasons why we are in this situation is because Darcy thought he could and tried to build a team around him, Roy and Pominville.

Vanek's good on the PP- especially in front of the net. I'll give you that. But he is not a reliable goal scorer and is overpriced for his production.

he can, just not as good as he used to. two 40 goal seasons. vanek was always "the guy" in buffalo, and he produced well. his game has changed, he doesnt score as often as he used to, but his assist total has remained high. hes 31, so

his game HAS to change as certain skills erode. but hes still a very solid player, albeit overpriced (but what free agent signing isnt?)

the question is, has his production actually dipped because he himself is in decline, or is he on a new team as a support player rather then a core player, and the stats reflect that? probably a combo of both. that 17 point drop isnt based on decline alone, i dont think.

would i bring vanek back? sure, as a supporting player. would i trade the future for him? no.

coastal
05-01-2015, 02:51 PM
First Hodgson and now Vanek?

r u actually THINKING when u type this crap!?

JATMtheJATM
05-01-2015, 03:28 PM
First Hodgson and now Vanek?

r u actually THINKING when u type this crap!?

its kind of hard to discuss and debate with people who cant get past the initial stage of disagreement without trying to make things personal. it gets old.

if you remember correctly, i only corrected people on hodgson when they claimed he never had been a productive player. you seem to be taking that completely out of context to argue points never made.

rbochan
05-02-2015, 04:29 PM
he can, just not as good as he used to. two 40 goal seasons...

Did you actually watch those two "40 goal seasons"? They were flukes, at best.

The first, 06-07, He had Briere on his line feeding him assists. I could probably score 40 goals on Brier's line that season.
The second, 08-09, included 13 empty netters - including the 40th passed to him by Pominville 6' from the opposing empty net in the final seconds of the last game of the season.

He's roughly a 20-30 goal scorer who was overpaid and over-hyped by Darcy Regier trying to save face on one of (one of several of) the worst contracts in NHL history.

He can freeze to death in St. Paul for all I care.

JATMtheJATM
05-02-2015, 05:11 PM
Did you actually watch those two "40 goal seasons"? They were flukes, at best.

The first, 06-07, He had Briere on his line feeding him assists. I could probably score 40 goals on Brier's line that season.
The second, 08-09, included 13 empty netters - including the 40th passed to him by Pominville 6' from the opposing empty net in the final seconds of the last game of the season.

He's roughly a 20-30 goal scorer who was overpaid and over-hyped by Darcy Regier trying to save face on one of (one of several of) the worst contracts in NHL history.

He can freeze to death in St. Paul for all I care.

seems the sabres could use 20-30 goal scorers, could they not? If he became available, sure, I'd take him back in a heartbeat

coastal
05-02-2015, 07:05 PM
its kind of hard to discuss and debate with people who cant get past the initial stage of disagreement without trying to make things personal. it gets old.

if you remember correctly, i only corrected people on hodgson when they claimed he never had been a productive player. you seem to be taking that completely out of context to argue points never made.
Quit your whining.

let me ask you a question... what exactly is it in Vanek's game and how he plays it that makes you want to insert him into the mix again?

camelcowboy
05-02-2015, 07:45 PM
I'm waiting for his gambling to catch up with him

JATMtheJATM
05-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Quit your whining.

let me ask you a question... what exactly is it in Vanek's game and how he plays it that makes you want to insert him into the mix again?

Points.

JATMtheJATM
05-03-2015, 02:43 AM
I don't even know why this is being turned into a serious convo, bease he's not coming back, but here goes. Vanek is still an offensive player, and was (is?) One of the best net front presences in the league. He's also (was) outstanding on the power play.

not everyone is going to be an excellent, balls to the wall, two way player like girgs. Doesn't have to be. Vanek was paid to play offense, and that he did very well. And going by numbers, still does.

Considering the sabres are weak offensively, and thin on the wings, I don't see why you wouldn't?

But it's a hypothetical.

coastal
05-03-2015, 05:26 AM
Points.
That's the best you have

coastal
05-03-2015, 05:27 AM
I don't even know why this is being turned into a serious convo, bease he's not coming back, but here goes. Vanek is still an offensive player, and was (is?) One of the best net front presences in the league. He's also (was) outstanding on the power play.

not everyone is going to be an excellent, balls to the wall, two way player like girgs. Doesn't have to be. Vanek was paid to play offense, and that he did very well. And going by numbers, still does.

Considering the sabres are weak offensively, and thin on the wings, I don't see why you wouldn't?

But it's a hypothetical.
I saw a unidimensional player who didn't give 100% on every shift.

he was our version of Phill Kessel... But without the elite scoring ability.

Hes a team killer.

JATMtheJATM
05-03-2015, 02:09 PM
I saw a unidimensional player who didn't give 100% on every shift.

he was our version of Phill Kessel... But without the elite scoring ability.

Hes a team killer.

Yeah, I don't see that. Not the last part anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the best you have

No, I explained it pretty well

DetDannyWilliams
05-03-2015, 02:24 PM
Sabres weren't going to draft Vanek...

Rumor is... was that the Sabres were getting ready for the NHL Draft scouting players (last year before the scouting department went to video scouting) but Golisano who just saved the Sabres from bankruptcy put the kibosh on that! Golisano and all of Buffalo just saw Thomas Vanek score the GW goal for his school Minnesota against New Hampshire at the 2003 Men's Division I Ice Hockey Tournament that was played in Buffalo that year and whom was named the Frozen Four's Most Outstanding Player! the Sabres NOW just had to take Vanek and come June the Sabres were 5th that year in the NHL Entry Draft and their first overall pick was Thomas Vanek and the rest is history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9EHY9asyFI

DetDannyWilliams
05-03-2015, 02:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KondHsSdPHc

trapezeus
05-04-2015, 07:10 AM
he hasn't scored a goal in the playoffs yet.

He seems to be the same old Vanish.

i agree he can be a valuable player. but he isn't a guy you build around. if you can stash him on a 3rd line and have the talent on the front 2, then yes, you should get him. but he never wanted to be the man. and when you try to make him the man, he resists. but he can put up points. so the worst scenario occurs. you have a guy who has the production as a high point scorer without the mindframe of a high goal scorer. Which ultimately means you have to pay him like a star when he doesn't want to be one.

and frankly i think that wreaks havoc on a locker room.

coastal
05-04-2015, 08:49 AM
i think that wreaks havoc on a locker room.
Exactly

Skooby
05-04-2015, 10:44 AM
So if he came back at the right price & played on the 3rd line, then you're all in ??

i agree he can be a valuable player. but he isn't a guy you build around. if you can stash him on a 3rd line and have the talent on the front 2, then yes, you should get him. but he never wanted to be the man. and when you try to make him the man, he resists. but he can put up points. so the worst scenario occurs. you have a guy who has the production as a high point scorer without the mindframe of a high goal scorer. Which ultimately means you have to pay him like a star when he doesn't want to be one.

trapezeus
05-04-2015, 11:28 AM
not sure. i'd like to know my other options. but cost would be a big deal. but lindy didn't get to him, his short stint in montreal and LI didn't change him and his time in Minny hasn't changed him. i don't know if there is a coach thatcan tap into him and get him to be consistent.

i'd rather err on the side of youth with more upside than a former sabre who has seen his best days.

JATMtheJATM
05-04-2015, 01:54 PM

Yeah, but who said anything about building around him? Question was, would you want him back. Given the current state of the team and it's need for scoring, short answer from my end is yes. Multiple variables eventually come into play, all of which can change the response.

trapezeus
05-05-2015, 01:22 PM
i don't think he offers much from a vet standpoint. i think of the older statemen you have on the team, they need to have been polished or just show a great work ethic. you bring in a former $10MM a year guy who got a second chance with the team he never excelled on? what does that say?

i'd rather take a lower ceiling guy.

JATMtheJATM
05-05-2015, 01:39 PM
i don't think he offers much from a vet standpoint. i think of the older statemen you have on the team, they need to have been polished or just show a great work ethic. you bring in a former $10MM a year guy who got a second chance with the team he never excelled on? what does that say?

i'd rather take a lower ceiling guy.

personally, i think you are reading too much into it. sometimes, you bring in a player simply to fill a spot or a role. right now, thats what vanek would be doing. sabres are painfully weak on the wings, and have very little offense. thatll change once the youth develops, but bringing vanek back would be a big bump in offense in the meantime.

of course, this is all hypothetical. is he rumored to be available? no. are their other options? yes. what would you give up to get him? lots of questions over something that isnt happening.

coastal
05-05-2015, 03:07 PM
So this is nothing more than a skooby troll thread?

shocking

JATMtheJATM
05-05-2015, 05:34 PM

shocking

Well, yeah.

Skooby
05-05-2015, 07:21 PM

shocking

Until Vanek gets cut, you hear his name lately ??

Ingtar33
05-05-2015, 08:11 PM
and how many 20 goal scores does this team have?

you grab all the offense you can to support that young talent in the center. Vanek - Eichel - Kane looks like a legit no.1 line to me. all that talent probably should result in someone reaching 40 goals and someone scraping up to 100 points. We just tanked two straight years. i could care less if we tank a 3rd, but i can't watch the type of hockey they're playing right now. right now they're unwatchable. Lets load up on some offensive talent, forget goal and defense and see what happens. We'll likely be in the lotto again next year but at least we won't be painful to watch.

I'd rather we grab whatever 20+ goal wing talent we can get our hands on and see what happens.

Ginger Vitis
05-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Vanek - Eichel - Kane looks like a legit no.1 line to me. all that talent probably should result in someone reaching 40 goals and someone scraping up to 100 points. We just tanked two straight years.

Scraping up to a 100 points? Jamie Benn lead the league with 87 points no one on that proposed line is coming close to 100 points next year

Ingtar33
05-05-2015, 08:40 PM
Jamie Benn lead the league with 87 points

you're kidding me. if that's the case then the nhl has a scoring problem of epic proportions. that's worse then before the lockout inspired changes.

JATMtheJATM
05-05-2015, 08:40 PM
Until Vanek gets cut, you hear his name lately ??

If they buy him out, we can hash this out.

rbochan
05-06-2015, 06:07 AM
you're kidding me. if that's the case then the nhl has a scoring problem of epic proportions...

yes. Yes it does.