PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Petty

The King
05-01-2015, 08:45 AM
Up until about yesterday I was dead set against drafting Bryce Petty in the second round. I have spent the last 24 hours watching highlight films and interviews with the kid. And I am really warming up to him.

Now every team likely knows that if they want him they have to move up to 49. And I don't advocate the Bills trading up to secure him. But if he's sitting on the board at 50, I'd be excited by the pick.

Obviously the safe pick and likely the pick likely to make the biggest impact in 2015 is on the OLine. I wouldn't hate that either.

Petty is a big strong armed QB who has a lot of skills our current pipeline of QB's do not have.

Yasgur's Farm
05-01-2015, 08:47 AM
If New Orleans comes calling, I'd give up our 50 for their 2nd, 3rd, & 4th.

mightysimi
05-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Who do you cut?

Skooby
05-01-2015, 08:52 AM
Who do you cut?
Who do we have now worth keeping ?? 0.

mightysimi
05-01-2015, 08:53 AM
Who do we have now worth keeping ?? 0.

Not the question.

Skooby
05-01-2015, 08:55 AM
Not the question.
That's the final answer, so anything more you ask about our current situation is moot. We have nobody that anyone could quantify a value for at the QB position.

mightysimi
05-01-2015, 09:06 AM
That's the final answer, so anything more you ask about our current situation is moot. We have nobody that anyone could quantify a value for at the QB position.

Well how about this. Does he start week 1?

So you draft him, then what cut Manuel and Tuel? So you would rather draft a guy with question marks to replace the qb that we drafted with question marks? I don't get it. I would rather a T or G. I could even live with LB or S.

justasportsfan
05-01-2015, 09:07 AM
We could find an immediate impact player with our 50th and I would do that. I wouldn't mind using a 3rd or a 4th on a project qb though.

Patrick76777
05-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Pick a QB every single year until we find a great one. EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!!!!

Joe Fo Sho
05-01-2015, 09:28 AM

This strategy seems a bit over the top.

mightysimi
05-01-2015, 09:31 AM

And play them? A constant endless cycle of QB's trying to learn on the job? No thanks.

Joe Fo Sho
05-01-2015, 09:47 AM
And play them? A constant endless cycle of QB's trying to learn on the job? No thanks.

Exactly.

Let's assume we took a QB with our 1st or 2nd round picks instead of the pick we actually took. Excluding 2013 when we took EJ, this is who we would have drafted.

2014 1st round - Johnny Manziel (Instead of Sammy Watkins)
2014 2nd round - Jimmy Garoppolo (Instead of Cyrus Kouandjio)
2012 1st round - Brandon Weeden (Instead of Stephon Gilmore)
2012 2nd round - Brock Osweiler (Instead of Cordy Glenn)
2011 1st round - Jake Locker (Instead of Marcell Dareus)
2011 2nd round - Andy Dalton (Instead of Aaron Williams)
2010 1st round - Tim Tebow (Instead of CJ Spiller)
2010 2nd round - Jimmy Clausen (Instead of Torell Troup)
2009 1st round - Josh Freeman (Instead of Aaron Maybin)
2009 2nd round - Pat White (Instead of Jairus Byrd) (Or you can say that Stephen McGee was the next REAL QB taken)
2008 1st round - Joe Flacco (Instead of Leodis McKelvin)
2008 2nd round - Brian Brohm (Instead of James Hardy)
2007 1st round - Brady Quinn (Instead of Marshawn Lynch)
2007 2nd round - Kevin Kolb (Instead of Paul Posluszny)
2006 1st round - Matt Leinart (Instead of Donte Whitner)
2006 2nd round - Kellen Clemons (Instead of John McCargo)

Well, I guess it would have worked once.

Bill Cody
05-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Exactly.

Let's assume we took a QB with our 1st or 2nd round picks instead of the pick we actually took. Excluding 2013 when we took EJ, this is who we would have drafted.

2009 2nd round - Pat White (Instead of Jairus Byrd) (Or you can say that Stephen McGee was the next REAL QB taken)

You're right stand pat. EJ is the man forever.

jimmifli
05-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Exactly.

Well after you hit on Flacco, you probably wouldn't keep drafting. Maybe you add one the next year because you're still unsure, same goes for Andy Dalton, or Russel Wilson (lots of us wanted him in the 2nd), the good ones find their way onto the field and make your decision easy.

Grayson or Petty might be like most of those schmucks, but you can't catch fish if your line isn't in the water.

Joe Fo Sho
05-01-2015, 11:23 AM

Maybe we should trade the Johnny Manziel for Sammy Watkins.

X-Era
05-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Up until about yesterday I was dead set against drafting Bryce Petty in the second round. I have spent the last 24 hours watching highlight films and interviews with the kid. And I am really warming up to him.

Now every team likely knows that if they want him they have to move up to 49. And I don't advocate the Bills trading up to secure him. But if he's sitting on the board at 50, I'd be excited by the pick.

Obviously the safe pick and likely the pick likely to make the biggest impact in 2015 is on the OLine. I wouldn't hate that either.

Petty is a big strong armed QB who has a lot of skills our current pipeline of QB's do not have.New Orleans picks in front of us. I'll be surprised if they don't take him first.

Dr. Who
05-01-2015, 11:47 AM
I'd take a flier on Chris Bonner in the seventh.

feldspar
05-01-2015, 12:05 PM
If all else fails,we could have a lot of fun with his name, just like Loss-Man and Mularkey...even Gailey.

On the other hand, Tom Petty seems pretty cool.

Bill Cody
05-01-2015, 12:22 PM
Maybe we should trade the Johnny Manziel for Sammy Watkins.

You like to post a lot of stuff you don't really believe in just to get in a back and forth don't you? Hope it's entertaining for you.

Try using your head for a change you might like it.

Example: Going into last year's draft NE was a SB contender. Yet in the first round they picked a guy that was injured and unlikely to play much in the 1st and a guy that very likely will NEVER take a snap for the Patriots barring injury to Brady (who wants to play another 4 years) in the 2nd. But the Bills, who haven't sniffed the playoffs in 15 years and have nobody resembling a sure thing at the most important position on the team shouldn't draft a QB because the guy might not play right away? Really? That's the kind of thinking that keeps teams permanently in the basement. The draft is a crap shoot. Manuel always had high bust potential, everyone knew this. Petty has high bust potential. So the F what? Until you solve the QB position is a big way you keep trying. Otherwise just concede you will never ever win. It's a QB league.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Who do you cut?

Taylor.

That was easy.

Saratoga Slim
05-01-2015, 12:47 PM
I personally would feel a lot better about Garrett Grayson in the 3rd so that we add someone with immediate impact at 50. But then I haven't done anything but read a few draft profiles and listen to the pundits on these guys. If the Bills think Petty is a better talent than Grayson, I'm OK with him at 50. We need a QB, and I'm in favor of a volume play until we finally land one. Then, if you're going to roll the dice on a QB, i think you have to go get the guy you want. It's a lot different than, say, picking the best available pass rusher.

Patrick76777
05-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Exactly.

Never said 1st or 2nd. But nice try.

Patrick76777
05-01-2015, 01:10 PM

You don't have to play them. Take one in the 5th, if he stinks in camp, practice and preseason, he doesn't play, move on.

And it doesn't matter if you take one in the 1st, 4th or 7th. We should just draft one every year.

Since drafting Brady, the Patriots have drafted more QB's than we have. WTF?

better days
05-01-2015, 01:22 PM
New Orleans picks in front of us. I'll be surprised if they don't take him first.

Well, then I would take QB Garrett Grayson, after I trade down hopefully.

Night Train
05-01-2015, 01:25 PM
He has the physical traits needed for the next level with his size, arm strength and functional mobility, but his lower body technique and footwork are a mess, struggling to recognize pressures and adjust his throwing platforms on the move. Petty looked like a fish out of water taking snaps under center at the Senior Bowl and was slow to read while in his drops - will be asked to do things in the NFL that he hasn't done before and is unproven in several areas. He will need spoon fed pro-style concepts and requires a year or two of development on a NFL roster with a skill-set reminiscent of a younger, more athletic Brandon Weeden - early day three pick with the talent worth grooming, but will likely be overdrafted in the top-100.

Joe Fo Sho
05-01-2015, 01:51 PM
You like to post a lot of stuff you don't really believe in just to get in a back and forth don't you?

Yeah, kind of like this.

:rolleyes:

Example: Going into last year's draft NE was a SB contender. Yet in the first round they picked a guy that was injured and unlikely to play much in the 1st and a guy that very likely will NEVER take a snap for the Patriots barring injury to Brady (who wants to play another 4 years) in the 2nd. But the Bills, who haven't sniffed the playoffs in 15 years and have nobody resembling a sure thing at the most important position on the team shouldn't draft a QB because the guy might not play right away? Really? That's the kind of thinking that keeps teams permanently in the basement. The draft is a crap shoot. Manuel always had high bust potential, everyone knew this. Petty has high bust potential. So the F what? Until you solve the QB position is a big way you keep trying. Otherwise just concede you will never ever win. It's a QB league.

You'd think that 75% of the league would be drafting 1 to 2 QBs every year since it's such an easy formula.

There are about 15 (maybe) QBs in the league right now that are worthy of being called 'franchise' QBs. There are a dozen QBs drafted every single year. You can't just draft QB after QB and pray that you get one, you're going to miss out on talented players. That's why you have talent evaluators, to tell you that a LB or WR is going to be a better pro than the QB that's available. When that happens you'd be stupid to draft the QB on the off chance you're going to win the lotto. If the QB is worthy of the pick, then draft him, but don't just draft a QB to draft a QB. That's stupid.

Joe Fo Sho
05-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Never said 1st or 2nd. But nice try.

You're right, late pick QBs are way better. Just look at that one guy that was drafted in the 6th round that one time.

MillsapsBillsFan
05-01-2015, 01:53 PM
He has the physical traits needed for the next level with his size, arm strength and functional mobility, but his lower body technique and footwork are a mess, struggling to recognize pressures and adjust his throwing platforms on the move. Petty looked like a fish out of water taking snaps under center at the Senior Bowl and was slow to read while in his drops - will be asked to do things in the NFL that he hasn't done before and is unproven in several areas. He will need spoon fed pro-style concepts and requires a year or two of development on a NFL roster with a skill-set reminiscent of a younger, more athletic Brandon Weeden - early day three pick with the talent worth grooming, but will likely be overdrafted in the top-100.

Isnt the lower body of a QB what David Lees prides himself on fixing? I still like Petty but 50 just seems too soon. Im all for picking a QB this draft, but reaching on one we cant use right away with a team thats so close just seems risky

Patrick76777
05-01-2015, 01:54 PM
You're right, late pick QBs are way better. Just look at that one guy that was drafted in the 6th round that one time.

Remember last year's Super Bowl? When did those dudes get drafted?

Joe Fo Sho
05-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Remember last year's Super Bowl? When did those dudes get drafted?

Where are the rest of the 3rd through 7th round QBs playing right now over the span that Brady has been in the league? How many were watching that game from the couch? 98%? Good argument.

Bill Cody
05-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Yeah, kind of like this.

:rolleyes:

that was in response to your silliness

You'd think that 75% of the league would be drafting 1 to 2 QBs every year since it's such an easy formula.

You stop right after you find one. Until you do you keep trying. Otherwise why field a team?

There are about 15 (maybe) QBs in the league right now that are worthy of being called 'franchise' QBs. There are a dozen QBs drafted every single year. You can't just draft QB after QB and pray that you get one, you're going to miss out on talented players. That's why you have talent evaluators, to tell you that a LB or WR is going to be a better pro than the QB that's available. When that happens you'd be stupid to draft the QB on the off chance you're going to win the lotto. If the QB is worthy of the pick, then draft him, but don't just draft a QB to draft a QB. That's stupid.

That's just it. Nobody drafts ANYONE just to draft him. Who is suggesting we do that? The fact is the odds favor whiffing on most draft picks regardless of position. They pay these scouts a lot of money to project ability. If they determine the QB's after the top 2 are all stiffs, fine, pick another position. But I assume they had Bryce Petty in for a visit for a reason, no?

Patrick76777
05-01-2015, 02:25 PM
Where are the rest of the 3rd through 7th round QBs playing right now over the span that Brady has been in the league? How many were watching that game from the couch? 98%? Good argument.

Hahahaha! Got you!

Joe Fo Sho
05-01-2015, 02:30 PM
that was in response to your silliness

My silliness? Like the data that I showed where if we drafted a QB in the 1st or second round over the last 9 years we'd be SOL besides one instance? That was kinda funny, I guess.

You stop right after you find one. Until you do you keep trying. Otherwise why field a team?

Now you're the one be silly you silly silly goose you.

That's just it. Nobody drafts ANYONE just to draft him. Who is suggesting we do that? The fact is the odds favor whiffing on most draft picks regardless of position. They pay these scouts a lot of money to project ability. If they determine the QB's after the top 2 are all stiffs, fine, pick another position. But I assume they had Bryce Petty in for a visit for a reason, no?

Didn't they have every QB eligible in this draft in for a visit except the top 2? Do you want to draft every single one of them? Where does it end?

This argument is equivalent of the logic people use to play the lottery. It's gotta happen sooner or later! May as well keep wasting our resources until it does!

Bill Cody
05-01-2015, 02:37 PM
My silliness? Like the data that I showed where if we drafted a QB in the 1st or second round over the last 9 years we'd be SOL besides one instance? That was kinda funny, I guess.

Now you're the one be silly you silly silly goose you.

Didn't they have every QB eligible in this draft in for a visit except the top 2? Do you want to draft every single one of them? Where does it end?

This argument is equivalent of the logic people use to play the lottery. It's gotta happen sooner or later! May as well keep wasting our resources until it does!

Fact: odds of winning the SB are 0.00% without a good to great QB
Fact: we don't have one
Fact: the draft is the easiest and best way to find one
Fact: you have no solutions to what is the 1000 lb gorilla for every NFL team that cares about winning but doesn't have a QB. Your posts boil down to "WAAAHH finding a QB is hard let's do something else". That's like a race car driver shopping for decals when his car has no engine. No **** it's hard. But totally necessary.

better days
05-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Fact: you have no solutions to what is the 1000 lb gorilla for every NFL team that cares about winning but doesn't have a QB. Your posts boil down to "WAAAHH finding a QB is hard let's do something else". That's like a race car driver shopping for decals when his car has no engine. No **** it's hard. But totally necessary.

Well, the QB does not need to be Tom Brady or Peyton Manning great to win the Super Bowl.

Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson good will win the Super Bowl with a great defense like the Bills have.

Joe Fo Sho
05-01-2015, 02:52 PM

Maybe you don't know what a fact is. This isn't a fact.

You're really breaking new ground there, Copernicus.

So easy, right? If it were easy you'd only have to draft one QB and you'd be all set.

This post is childish.

Your posts boil down to "Hey Billy Bob, let's run on down to that there junkyard and pick up any old engine available. One is bound to fit into this here sports car."

The Natrix
05-01-2015, 11:35 PM
It's becoming comical how so many Bills fans get so dead set on some random late round QB, draft after draft lately.

It's even more entertaining when someone says we should trade up for so and so late round QB that has a snowball chance in hell to become the real deal.

Highlight vid argument is always the best.

Oaf
05-02-2015, 12:26 AM
If we had better talent evaluators, maybe we trade up a few spots for Kaep, draft Wilson, or even trade down from our third a bit and draft Cousins.

swiper
05-02-2015, 04:29 AM
Who do you cut?

Jeff Tuel

Night Train
05-02-2015, 04:39 AM
Well it's Day 3 and it looks like the NFL has cut Bryce Petty...because he sucks.

Welcome to reality.

HHURRICANE
05-02-2015, 04:54 AM
Well it's Day 3 and it looks like the NFL has cut Bryce Petty...because he sucks.

Welcome to reality.

Post of the day!!!

This guy might be around in the 5th and we still wouldn't take him.

mightysimi
05-02-2015, 07:45 AM
Jeff Tuel

So you would keep 4 qbs or put the one you just drafted on the practice squad and risk losing him?

X-Era
05-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Whaley said the late round picks may not even make the roster... And we have 2 6th's... Moving up into the 4th is possible for Petty. But at this point he may drop to us in the 5th maybe later.

This guy agrees:
https://twitter.com/KevinMassare/sta...03047906238464 (https://twitter.com/KevinMassare/status/594503047906238464)

Whaley said moving up is possible:
http://www.wgr550.com/pages/21453826.php

YardRat
05-02-2015, 10:27 AM
P-p-p-Petty and the Jets.

The Jokeman
05-02-2015, 10:41 AM
P-p-p-Petty and the Jets.

Petty lol