PDA

View Full Version : IMO Bills draft grade so far (A-)

HHURRICANE
05-02-2015, 05:44 AM
I think the Bills got two very good players. Can we keep it real? These are the 50th and 81st picks....not 10 and 40 like we are used to.

If you actually watch the ACC you'd know that no one wanted to throw the ball where Darby was. He's ridiculous fast which is going to make him extremely annoying to opposing QBs in our division. I hated the Leodis pick and still do. This kid will be way better. I look at him as a Nate Clements contributor.

John Miller is plug and play. You realize he's a 3rd round pick? As Whaley said he's looking for contributors. I think this kid will be rotating in and contributing...especially on a run oriented offense.

Neither draft pick is a project but kids that should transition to the next level. I really like the picks.

(A-)

justasportsfan
05-02-2015, 05:48 AM
Homer

HHURRICANE
05-02-2015, 05:54 AM
Homer

Well the best pick in the draft was by the Pats at 32...IMO.

Historian
05-02-2015, 06:37 AM
B+

swiper
05-02-2015, 06:47 AM
These are middling players in a poor draft.

notacon
05-02-2015, 10:02 AM
I'd rate this draft as a D. Their first pick was for the position they are deepest in and a player who has character questions.

Typical head up-the-ass pick from the Bills.

cookie G
05-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Typical head up-the-ass pick from the Bills.

Typical Rex Ryan pick.

And that's not meant to be complimentary.

tomz
05-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Actually the Darby pick is completely understandable. First it frees up graham to be multiple. Second it is insurance vs Gilmore leaving or being unaffordable and mc kelvin getting older. He needs some development but has excellent unteachable qualities. Plus a value pick.

notacon
05-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Actually the Darby pick is completely understandable. First it frees up graham to be multiple. Second it is insurance vs Gilmore leaving or being unaffordable and mc kelvin getting older. He needs some development but has excellent unteachable qualities. Plus a value pick.

I can "understand" why the Bills picked this guy too. Does not make it a smart or good pick.

The best description I heard is this was a "luxury pick"...and that rings true. The Bills need to get players that will help them NOW. The Bills need to add depth where they are weak, not strong. They can do some "luxury picks" and picks for development after they start challenging for the division lead or actually threaten to get in the playoffs, much less get in them.

SpikedLemonade
05-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Typical Rex Ryan pick.

And that's not meant to be complimentary.

What is amazing about Rex Ryan is how hands off he was with the Offense in NY except when it came to Draft Day. He always seemed to publicly deflect the Offenses performance onto the OC except that he always made sure that the Defense which he could not escape personal accountability for always got more early draft picks and more expensive free agents. He stocked the Defense with talent and left the Offense for someone else to figure out.

I hope Roman is up for the challenge since we know he has only 2 or 3 years whereas Rex is here for at least 4 years.

gr8slayer
05-02-2015, 12:29 PM
It's a B(ish).

Don't Panic
05-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Based on what little I know, I'd say C+ so far

SpikedLemonade
05-02-2015, 12:44 PM
RB?

Why not?

HHURRICANE
05-02-2015, 01:06 PM
What the.......????

Well now it's a D......seriously.

YardRat
05-02-2015, 01:23 PM
lol...too late even to change to 'pass/fail'.

jills
05-02-2015, 01:26 PM
Very disappointing Draft so far.

cookie G
05-02-2015, 01:27 PM
What is amazing about Rex Ryan is how hands off he was with the Offense in NY except when it came to Draft Day. He always seemed to publicly deflect the Offenses performance onto the OC except that he always made sure that the Defense which he could not escape personal accountability for always got more early draft picks and more expensive free agents. He stocked the Defense with talent and left the Offense for someone else to figure out.

I hope Roman is up for the challenge since we know he has only 2 or 3 years whereas Rex is here for at least 4 years.

Based on what Rex has shown about building/maintaining an offense, he's probably on par with Dick Jauron.

Guys like that..when it comes to offense, you have 2 choices

A), tie them up and ball gag them during the FA'cy/draft periods; or

B) listen to what they say, then do the opposite

starrymessenger
05-02-2015, 01:54 PM
I like all of our picks so far, including the RB/safety/special teams ace.
I think every one of these guys should be able to contribute this year.

EDS
05-02-2015, 03:07 PM
I think the Bills got some players with potential but I don't expect any of them to make much of an impact this season. Darby is probably intended to replace McKelvin when the Bills cut him after the season for financial reasons. Miller and Williams will also move up the depth chart when a veteran guard and veteran running back are cut lose after the season. Whaley did say the middle class was going to get squeezed out so these guys have a season to learn the ropes before they need to contribute.

HHURRICANE
05-02-2015, 04:32 PM
I probably over reacted on taking Williams because I do believe he'll be used in special teams.

I think my final grade is B-. I don't think this was our best draft but this class is not great.

If Sammy has a great year than going to give the front office way more credit than I'd give myself.

Mr. Pink
05-02-2015, 04:37 PM
It's a solid D.

Drafted positions that they don't need and have recently invested big money in, RB and TE. Drafted a corner who has hands of stone. Drafted an OLB who likely won't even make the team.

They got one starter out of this drafted in Miller. And that's not a glowing endorsement of him as much as the fact the talent there prior to drafting him was that bad.

psubills62
05-02-2015, 04:51 PM
Definitely not a fan of this draft. Three years now and no drafted DL?

These guys could all be very good players, and I'm actually OK with them drafting only 1 OL, but no DL and wasting so many picks/resources on RB is a very different philosophy from what I think is successful.

The Jokeman
05-02-2015, 05:23 PM
It's a solid D.

Drafted positions that they don't need and have recently invested big money in, RB and TE. Drafted a corner who has hands of stone. Drafted an OLB who likely won't even make the team.

They got one starter out of this drafted in Miller. And that's not a glowing endorsement of him as much as the fact the talent there prior to drafting him was that bad.

The LB we drafted knows how to play ST, he's going to replace Larry Dean. The CB you're ripping sounds like a cover CB that didn't get as tested as much as FSU and lead to him having misleading stats. Sure we have a top flight RB and TE but what's behind him? At RB we having an aging star who won't be here past this year why not find his successor sooner than later with a guy who fits what our new OC likes at RB? Also in not taking D-lineman as I thought we would me it tells me maybe our HC is going to do a smart thing and maybe play a defense closer to what we played in 2014 than the one we thought he was bringing in? I give the draft a B- grade.

ublinkwescore
05-02-2015, 07:01 PM
We are working on signing Dareus again.

YardRat
05-02-2015, 07:03 PM
C-minus, but I'm allowing the UDFA's to count, bringing the grade up from a D.

baalworship
05-03-2015, 07:30 AM
Darby- What team couldn't use a top cover corner? Do you remember the first Patriots game and the Chargers game? How did our vaunted defense look there? Like we were always leaving one guy uncovered. So Darby can help us THIS year in winning some big games against teams that run a lot of guys out there on offense. This includes Indy, New England twice, Miami twice, Eagles, etc. He also happens to be a Press Cover, Man to Man Corner. Perfect scheme fit for Rex Ryan who will use these corners to INCREASE the pressure on QB's. There were games we lost last year because our D couldn't pressure the QB and cover multiple weapon offenses. Darby was thrown at least of all draft eligible players, a stat that tells you a lot. These our assets that top teams draft all the time. See Patriots, Steelers, etc. If he had great hands as well he would have been gone in the first 12 picks.

Williams- He's a fifth round pick so I will not tell you he's an answer. However, a fifth round pick should be good depth and play special teams. Williams can do that and more. Bills are running ground and pound offense next year and we don't even have a big back that runs downhill. Now we have one for goal line, third down, and a change of pace for when we want to wear the other team out. If Bills our up by 7 with 4 minutes to go you will be glad we have him as a hammer. 230 LB back with 4.48 speed.

O'Leary-There is a need for depth and another tight end. Patriots have like 5, we can afford to have 2.

Novacane
05-03-2015, 07:40 AM
I can "understand" why the Bills picked this guy too. Does not make it a smart or good pick.

The best description I heard is this was a "luxury pick"...and that rings true. The Bills need to get players that will help them NOW. The Bills need to add depth where they are weak, not strong. They can do some "luxury picks" and picks for development after they start challenging for the division lead or actually threaten to get in the playoffs, much less get in them.

How many 2nd round picks help there teams NOW in any meaningful way?

mysticsoto
05-03-2015, 07:54 AM

I disagree. This was not a luxury pick. He will start alongside Gilmore, and Leodis will likely move to the slot corner, where in my opinion, he excels. Our DL will be awesome and our CBs should be great also. I think this was a BPA pick, not a luxury one. The Bills have mentioned that they had this guy rated highly. Any CB that had QBs afraid to throw to him deserves to be rated highly. Ints/stats aren't everything.

The only pick I didn't lke was the RB. I understand that he will be a special teams ace, but we have 4 good ones on the roster and were probably going to cut 1. Now we'll have to cut 2? Frankly, I like Dixon and they better NOT cut Freddy! Bryce is out by default but then we will either cut Dixon or carry less WRs, I guess. I suppose I would have rathered a Safety backup that could also play STs.

Most other picks, I liked. I like our Guard and LOVE that we can now say...bye bye Chris Williams...

YardRat
05-03-2015, 07:58 AM
Darby- What team couldn't use a top cover corner? Do you remember the first Patriots game and the Chargers game? How did our vaunted defense look there?

Against the Patriots, we were without a starting safety, Duke Williams was pressed into action and was picked on horribly. It was a safety issue, not a corner issue. We lost a starting safety this off season, and who did we bring in to replace his roster spot in free agency or the draft?

kscdogbillsfan1221
05-03-2015, 08:02 AM
Against the Patriots, we were without a starting safety, Duke Williams was pressed into action and was picked on horribly. It was a safety issue, not a corner issue. We lost a starting safety this off season, and who did we bring in to replace his roster spot in free agency or the draft?

have we ever tried mcfumbles at safety? is that even plasible?

The Jokeman
05-03-2015, 08:11 AM
have we ever tried mcfumbles at safety? is that even plasible?
McKelvin isn't big enough. He's the smallest CB we have of our him, Gilmore, Graham and now Darby.

WagonCircler
05-03-2015, 09:07 AM
It's a *****.

Fixed it for you.

WagonCircler
05-03-2015, 09:08 AM

Didn't you hear? They're going to convert that Running Back into a Safety. (rolls eyes).

Goobylal
05-03-2015, 09:13 AM
Darby allows for Corey Graham to move to S permanently, if Duke can't make the leap, although he played well towards the end of the year. And I knew that with Ryan, CB would be an early pick since he had his most success with the Jets defensively with Revis and Cromartie back there.

And it seems like most of you are forgetting the players they added over the off-season. Most of them were offensive players. And this draft was also mostly offense, where the problems were. Not sure why there is so much angst since a major need, OG, was addressed with Incognito and in the draft.

Mr. Pink
05-03-2015, 09:23 AM
The LB we drafted knows how to play ST, he's going to replace Larry Dean. The CB you're ripping sounds like a cover CB that didn't get as tested as much as FSU and lead to him having misleading stats. Sure we have a top flight RB and TE but what's behind him? At RB we having an aging star who won't be here past this year why not find his successor sooner than later with a guy who fits what our new OC likes at RB? Also in not taking D-lineman as I thought we would me it tells me maybe our HC is going to do a smart thing and maybe play a defense closer to what we played in 2014 than the one we thought he was bringing in? I give the draft a B- grade.

Needed a safety over a corner. Needed ILB over OLB. No need to draft a RB as we still had 4 on the roster and this new guy is character issues galore and to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the roster. Either way, even if he does he'll be 4th string at best. A tight end would have been fine, if he could block since there isn't one of those on the roster and we're looking at being run heavy so taking another pass catcher at tight end makes little to no sense. If it wasn't for Miller this draft would be worse than the 2000 Draft class. Although to be completely fair, this entire draft was pretty weak outside of like 5 guys.

baalworship
05-03-2015, 09:37 AM

In fairness, how many NFL safeties can cover Gronk? I actually thought Duke played very well after that game. I want to see the tape on what Rex did against the Pats, how he handled Gronk.

HHURRICANE
05-03-2015, 09:57 AM
The argument that we " needed" players is why this team has struggled for years. Whaley made a point of saying they thought about taking a QB in this draft but they weren't at the places they wanted them. I can make that case for all positions.

I'd rather this team grab the most talented because very likely that guy will make the team. If your not sure look at Henderson vs Kjuondo.

Night Train
05-04-2015, 03:29 AM
Missing a 1st and 4th means your expectations shouldn't be more than finding 2-3 guys that can help.

I didn't recently forget Free Agency, where we made multiple aquisitions of top NFL players, while most other teams sat on their hands.

CB Darby will play. OG Miller will play. Williams will play ST's while they figure out whether he's a S or RB (seems to do both well). TE O'Leary catches everything and should play. LB and WR could be practice squad or better.

I thought the only thing they missed was OT but I'll keep and eye out for that UDFA Chandler, who has a few very encouraging scouting reports. Other Vets will be available, prior to camp.

QB was fools gold and I want prospects with actual talent...not Petty/Clausen/Gabbert/Weedon/Barkley/Manziel types this place screams for...

My favorite comment " I'd trade our draft for that teams draft ". We're missing a 1st and 4th, so that's a real gutsy move. LOL.

swiper
05-04-2015, 03:55 AM
Certainly not going to go down as a flashy draft. Going to try and keep an open mind on these guys. You gotta give them, at the very least, camp & preseason to see how they do with other NFL caliber teammates.

I don't know what's worse, having a draft that you may feel "meh" about and find a gem or two vs a draft with reported "starters" not playing up to those expectations. There's a reason that people wait 3 years to grade drafts.

YardRat
05-04-2015, 04:35 AM
The argument that we " needed" players is why this team has struggled for years. Whaley made a point of saying they thought about taking a QB in this draft but they weren't at the places they wanted them. I can make that case for all positions.

I'd rather this team grab the most talented because very likely that guy will make the team. If your not sure look at Henderson vs Kjuondo.

Is it your contention they draft need in the second and BPA in the 7th last year?

YardRat
05-04-2015, 04:51 AM
The deed is done, other than the possibility of adding one or two vets somewhere down the road there's nothing left to do except root like hell everything works out for the best. The potential is there, it just needs to be realized and manifested on Sundays.

The Jokeman
05-04-2015, 07:53 AM
Needed a safety over a corner. Needed ILB over OLB. No need to draft a RB as we still had 4 on the roster and this new guy is character issues galore and to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the roster. Either way, even if he does he'll be 4th string at best. A tight end would have been fine, if he could block since there isn't one of those on the roster and we're looking at being run heavy so taking another pass catcher at tight end makes little to no sense. If it wasn't for Miller this draft would be worse than the 2000 Draft class. Although to be completely fair, this entire draft was pretty weak outside of like 5 guys.
At S we need a guy who can split snaps with Williams as let's not forget Duke did player in 43% of our snaps last season. I don't think it will be a major shock if we sign DeWan Landry to fll that role in about 8 days from now. We may have 4 RBs but how many of them can contribute on ST? Just one in Boobie yet he doesn't look like he's going to be a #2 any time soon. So to me a guy like Karlos makes Bryace Brown and the departure of Fred Jackson in 2016 a tad easier. All the reports I read about O'Leary is that he is a adequate blocker and some say he could best be suited as a FB which makes me think we see him in a Bruce Miller type role here. At the very least he should replace Chris Gragg, who on paper you have to love but on the field he just hasn't stepped up. Do we still have some holes? No doubt but we still can sign a few guys as UFA and to me there's still a chance we could sign Landry, Spikes and Gresham all of whom we had ties to in UFA earlier and still on the market.

swiper
05-04-2015, 11:19 AM
The deed is done, other than the possibility of adding one or two vets somewhere down the road there's nothing left to do except root like hell everything works out for the best. The potential is there, it just needs to be realized and manifested on Sundays.

Spikes is still at the top of the wish list IMO.

Bill Cody
05-04-2015, 12:55 PM
At S we need a guy who can split snaps with Williams as let's not forget Duke did player in 43% of our snaps last season. I don't think it will be a major shock if we sign DeWan Landry to fll that role in about 8 days from now.

Baccari Rambo could be the dark horse in that race, did pretty well when he got the chance last year. That's a kid with 18 INT's at Ga, 8 as a junior.