• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

I'm not going full-blown rant, but...

I know, I know...

They haven't even put pads on yet...it's way too early to discount some positive things going our way...opinions don't matter nearly as much as results, and the preseason doesn't even start for another three months...everybody (players, coaches, front office) still has the opportunity to prove any naysayers 'wrong'...they are the ones getting paid, not us, so they must know something...

...but...

I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed over what transpired over an off season. Right from the start...

--Didn't hire the best coach for the situation we ended the season with.
    --Messing with a defense that was outright dominant last year, with the promise that it will be even better.
    --Spent a boat-load of money in free agency on shiny new toys that might not mean **** without an oline or dline.
    --Basically ignored 'better fixes' for the most glaring needs roster-wise (offensive line and QB, arguably safety)
    --Created more holes than they filled
    --Possibly wasted an entire draft adding talent to areas that were least in need of upgrading.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't help but feeling that instead of moving forward, we're moving back. And it isn't just 'two back, one forward', it's two back for coaching, two back for free agency, and two back for the draft.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Re: I'm not going full-blown rant, but...

Perhaps but the floor for this team is a relatively high 8-8. I don't see them losing 9 games.

Comment

• feldspar
      • Mar 2007

Where did we go when there were drafts you DID like?

Comment

• MikeInRoch
        • Sep 2003

I'd really like to hear what your "better fixes" were for OL and QB.
        "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
          Where did we go when there were drafts you DID like?
          Four straight Super Bowls.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Swiper
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2010

I'll tell you that the guy they should have coaxed from Pittsburgh was named LeBeau, not Whaley.

Comment

• feldspar
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
              Four straight Super Bowls.
              Brilliant answer.

You haven't liked a Bills draft while it unfolded in 25 years or more?

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by MikeInRoch View Post
                I'd really like to hear what your "better fixes" were for OL and QB.
                Granted, QB is a tough situation this off-season, I've even argued that myself. Cassell may be the best we could hope for, no idea why we picked up Taylor, and didn't really expect to draft one this year anyway.

I would have liked to see at least more effort than the two guys they targeted in free agency (as they said themselves, IIRC) to acquire another vet olineman (Carpenter, Wisniewski, etc) and prefer they take more chances on oline in the draft (Miller is probably the best pick ATM, but would have taken Fisher or Marpet instead of corner-actually, it's not oline, but I would have run to the podium for Jordan Phillips for D-or Myers/Thompson instead of a RB).

We spent a lot of money in free agency on the 'fixings', the draft should have been mostly about the 'beef'.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                  Brilliant answer.

You haven't liked a Bills draft while it unfolded in 25 years or more?
                  I have my moments, especially when gifted softballs over the center of the plate.

I liked last year's draft, actually.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

I would have liked another OL and maybe the 7th rounder longshot is that but outside of that, this draft wasn't too bad.

I understand the Darby pick ( BTW, he was at the stadium today for fanfest ) even though I wanted OT Fisher.. but Miller, Williams and O'Leary are 3 guys we could defintely use.

FA was a grade of A, IMO.

This isn't a team coming off a 3-13 season. They needed better coaching and another 1-2 wins. Hard to not like wha'ts going on.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

I 'get' the Darby pick also, to a point. He's already replaced Brooks, and will probably supplant McKelvin or Graham next season. Would have preferred somebody at another position that I think had a better chance of a bigger contribution this season.

Hopefully Miller can produce this season, he has the best opportunity to step in. Williams means either FJax (better not, IMO), Boobie (would prefer he stayed) or Brown (OK, not a big deal but a wasted draft pick exchanged) are gone, posiibly two of them. I'd be surprised if O'Leary ever contributes any more than Gragg has.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• jimmifli
                        • Nov 2006

2001 Was a pretty good draft.

Comment

• Meathead
                          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                          • Jul 2002

freddies gone. deal wid it
                          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Gibby
                            • Jun 2006

I liked most of the offseason actually, but the draft is arguably our weakest since 2000, and that O Line still really really bothers me and its going to bite us in the ass.

Comment

• jpdex12
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                              I know, I know...

They haven't even put pads on yet...it's way too early to discount some positive things going our way...opinions don't matter nearly as much as results, and the preseason doesn't even start for another three months...everybody (players, coaches, front office) still has the opportunity to prove any naysayers 'wrong'...they are the ones getting paid, not us, so they must know something...

...but...

I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed over what transpired over an off season. Right from the start...

--Didn't hire the best coach for the situation we ended the season with.
                              --Messing with a defense that was outright dominant last year, with the promise that it will be even better.
                              --Spent a boat-load of money in free agency on shiny new toys that might not mean **** without an oline or dline.
                              --Basically ignored 'better fixes' for the most glaring needs roster-wise (offensive line and QB, arguably safety)
                              --Created more holes than they filled
                              --Possibly wasted an entire draft adding talent to areas that were least in need of upgrading.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't help but feeling that instead of moving forward, we're moving back. And it isn't just 'two back, one forward', it's two back for coaching, two back for free agency, and two back for the draft.
                              Idiot thread
                              Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

Working...
                              X