PDA

View Full Version : The draft grades we should look at

DesertFox24
05-04-2015, 11:13 AM
The 2012 draft, lets all discuss the draft that we can grade. Gilmore I would give him a grade of B right now, been solid but injuries and scheme change has stunted development some, this grade could move up to A if he flourishes under Ryan but I will stick with B. Cordy Glenn, was an A until last year, granted he had an illness and missed most of conditioning and training camp so could have had an effect so we will give a B+ and discuss midway through the season. TJ Graham was an F unreliable hands just like in college and never amounted to anything with us or any team he played on, grade has nothing to do with Wilson either. Nigel Bradham was a C until last year he is a solid B now and could move into B+ if he matches last year. Ron Brooks is a C+ not a great CB but a good special teams guy so we did get some value from a 4th. Zebre Sanders is an F and is out of the league. Tank Carder is a D he got picked up by the browns and is just a special teams guy and not all that great at that. Mark Asper is a D no more than a special teams guy and practice squad, and John Potter C- he is in the league on the phins not sure if he is their kicker or a guy they signed as a leg.

Bill Cody
05-04-2015, 12:57 PM
any guy you cut is an F, who cares what he does on another team

Meathead
05-04-2015, 01:03 PM
thats not really fair to the drafters. the grade is about the draft pick not the rest of team mgmt. i concur the grade should be about the selection x yrs later regardless of team they end up

Bill Cody
05-04-2015, 01:34 PM
thats not really fair to the drafters. the grade is about the draft pick not the rest of team mgmt. i concur the grade should be about the selection x yrs later regardless of team they end up

Sure it's fair. The drafters are drafting for THEIR TEAM. If the player isn't a fit on your team but fits on another how in hell is that to the credit of the drafter for taking him anyway? Maybe a late round depth guy but that's the only case where you it might be unfair. And on a more basic level as fans we only care who impacts the Bills. Or are you saying it would be an A+ draft if we cut all 6 guys and they all ending up starting elsewhere? "Boy that Whaley knows how to pick em, 6 starters from one draft, unbelievable" . Ok that's extreme but hopefully you get my point

YardRat
05-04-2015, 03:08 PM
I would agree with that assessment, although I might lower Brooks' grade a bit (C-minus, maybe even D). I actually liked the kid coming out of college and was glad we picked him, but IMO his presence on special teams has been marginal and when he has been asked to step in at corner it's been horrid.

BertSquirtgum
05-04-2015, 03:11 PM
If I was going to grade Buddy Nix as a GM it would be a big fat F. He stunk and set this team back just like Marv Levy did. It was continued ineptitude at the GM position for 6 or so years. I will admit that I wonder if Buddy wouldn't have been napping during the start of free agency if his hands weren't tied by the bean counters. Most of Buddy's picks were pretty awful.

TedMock
05-04-2015, 03:48 PM
I think where they are drafted is a necessary part of the equation. Looking at Bradham, for example, we get a guy who is very athletic, but needs to refine his skill set and mature. He's a fourth rounder and rightfully so. You don't expect him to be a primary defensive contributor in year one. You work on his game, you hope he helps out on special teams and by year three he's a regular on the defense. If he's a first rounder, it's a completely different story. I think Bradham progressed as he was supposed to and his grade was basically "incomplete" the first couple seasons. Now that it's played out, he's gets a high score. It's the reverse, but same philosophy, of the overdrafted Donte Whitner's of the world. Whitner drafted in round three or four would not be the target of so much hatred. Top 10? Well...

mightysimi
05-04-2015, 07:39 PM
I think where they are drafted is a necessary part of the equation. Looking at Bradham, for example, we get a guy who is very athletic, but needs to refine his skill set and mature. He's a fourth rounder and rightfully so. You don't expect him to be a primary defensive contributor in year one. You work on his game, you hope he helps out on special teams and by year three he's a regular on the defense. If he's a first rounder, it's a completely different story. I think Bradham progressed as he was supposed to and his grade was basically "incomplete" the first couple seasons. Now that it's played out, he's gets a high score. It's the reverse, but same philosophy, of the overdrafted Donte Whitner's of the world. Whitner drafted in round three or four would not be the target of so much hatred. Top 10? Well...

Whoa there that is a multiple time pro-bowler right there...lol

better days
05-05-2015, 08:16 AM
If I was going to grade Buddy Nix as a GM it would be a big fat F. He stunk and set this team back just like Marv Levy did. It was continued ineptitude at the GM position for 6 or so years. I will admit that I wonder if Buddy wouldn't have been napping during the start of free agency if his hands weren't tied by the bean counters. Most of Buddy's picks were pretty awful.

When Nix was hired, the scouting department was a mess.

Few scouts & the few that the Bills had were not all that good.

Nix revamped the scouting department got rid of dead wood & hired a number more scouts.

Whaley has continued to improve the scouting dept & today, it is one of the best in the NFL IMO.