Collins to meet with Bills & Dolphins:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dellengeradv/status/595392964253200385

YardRat
05-04-2015, 07:30 PM
Allegedly meeting with Ryan tonight...

https://twitter.com/chadsabadie

OpIv37
05-04-2015, 07:37 PM
As a udfa I'll take the risk.im glad we didn't risk a pick on him.

BertSquirtgum
05-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Give him a big signing bonus.

Skooby
05-04-2015, 07:55 PM
Give him a big signing bonus.

There's a scheduled maximum that UDFA can receive, which isn't that much (relatively speaking).

BertSquirtgum
05-04-2015, 07:58 PM
There's a scheduled maximum that UDFA can receive, which isn't that much (relatively speaking).

Throw in a year long supply of milky way candy bars.

BillsImpossible
05-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Whatever happened to being innocent before being proven guilty in America?

I HATE how the media destroyed this kid's draft stock via guilt by association.

He recently passed a polygraph test under the most intense pressure.

When people are under intense pressure, they are 100 times more likely to crack.

Polygraph tests are hard to beat for a young kid in Collins' situation.

Collins didn't crack under the most challenging of circumstances.

He passed the polygraph test and he has a legitimate alibi.

Why conspire to murder someone for the sake of saving a minute amount of child support payments when you're being paid millions of dollars?

Makes no sense at all, but the media ultimately decided Collins' future.

I hope Rex Ryan convinces Collins to come to Buffalo.

X-Era
05-04-2015, 08:00 PM
For the minimal contract that he will cost, what is the wait? Even if the guy is a double murderer he cost very little and you could end up with a top 20 OT.

I sound like Jimmy Johnson now...

But seriously, if he's even a real suspect or the day hes arrested; cut him.

YardRat
05-04-2015, 08:04 PM
For the minimal contract that he will cost, what is the wait? Even if the guy is a double murderer he cost very little and you could end up with a top 20 OT.

I'm sure every team that is 'serious' about bringing him in is offering the max allowed, so 'the wait' wouldn't be on the team's part...he gets to choose the situation he wants to be in. Considering we only have 4 OT's on the squad right now (Glenn, a 2nd year 7th, a 2nd year underwhelming 2nd rounder, and a recently signed UDFA) I don't see how anybody can offer him a better opportunity than Buffalo.

THRILLHO
05-04-2015, 08:04 PM

I would imagine the wait will be coming from his end. I am guessing many teams are calling him, and there are limits on what he can be offered. Which means he gets to choose what team he wants to go to. Luckily, we have a guy who's as good a coach as he is a salesman. So we have that going for us.

Skooby
05-04-2015, 08:14 PM
I would imagine the wait will be coming from his end. I am guessing many teams are calling him, and there are limits on what he can be offered. Which means he gets to choose what team he wants to go to. Luckily, we have a guy who's as good a coach as he is a salesman. So we have that going for us.

We also have an owner that's investing in the town & teams, so in the long run Rex is the guy.

Beebe
05-04-2015, 08:30 PM
That's our first round pick.

HHURRICANE
05-04-2015, 08:47 PM
If this happens than the draft just became an A+

djjimkelly
05-04-2015, 08:52 PM
maybe hes our first rounder equivalent this year

Mace
05-04-2015, 09:07 PM
maybe hes our first rounder equivalent this year

Just may be. This is Ryan sales turf.

Meathead
05-04-2015, 09:09 PM
rumors are that rexy is dressed like a woman and giving him backtalk just to see what happens

emoulds80
05-04-2015, 09:19 PM
" lets get a ****** snack!!!!"

Mace
05-04-2015, 09:21 PM
rumors are that rexy is dressed like a woman and giving him backtalk just to see what happens

I'm honestly not seeing what panicked Collins and engaged his bumbling reps here. The police said he is not a suspect, and is still not a suspect, the NFL even said he hasn't spoken to the late lady since September or something. It almost seems to me, Collins could have gone and spoken to them sooner, he'd have been tarnished for a round, but his reps mistakenly made things worse by misinterpreting the rules and advising him to take a stand on nothing, that he'd not sign past a certain round to force teams to make a decision, oddly trying to muscle that many teams which won't be muscled in the power of the NFL over NFL opportunities.

Maybe he hired someone, but that would make him a suspect and the police would say no comment, not that he isn't a suspect. I'm not real forgiving over this kind of stuff but Collins is just looking over full of himself and ill advised at this point.

better days
05-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Whatever happened to being innocent before being proven guilty in America?

I HATE how the media destroyed this kid's draft stock via guilt by association.

He recently passed a polygraph test under the most intense pressure.

When people are under intense pressure, they are 100 times more likely to crack.

Polygraph tests are hard to beat for a young kid in Collins' situation.

Collins didn't crack under the most challenging of circumstances.

He passed the polygraph test and he has a legitimate alibi.

Why conspire to murder someone for the sake of saving a minute amount of child support payments when you're being paid millions of dollars?

Makes no sense at all, but the media ultimately decided Collins' future.

I hope Rex Ryan convinces Collins to come to Buffalo.

There are people on this board that have declared Winston guilty of rape & Darby guilty of the cover up of that rape.

Mace
05-04-2015, 09:25 PM
There are people on this board that have declared Winston guilty of rape & Darby guilty of the cover up of that rape.

Collins wasn't even in the room and the police don't even consider him a suspect though ? Huge diff.

Buffalogic
05-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Good. Sign him immediately. This would be a very good get.

Mr. Pink
05-04-2015, 10:27 PM
I was honestly rooting for someone to pick him in the 7th so he could hold to his plan of not signing and re-entering the draft next year. His entire situation blows and if he really is innocent, he should have been allowed the opportunity of re-entering the draft next year and getting a shot at being paid like the first rounder he would have been if his name wasn't smeared.

Of course if he was behind it, then F him and he should never see the outside of a jail cell for the rest of his life.

Oaf
05-04-2015, 10:41 PM
I'm sure other teams have worse (more open) situations than we do. Glenn, Cyrus, Henderson is not a bad haul, is it?

ParanoidAndroid
05-04-2015, 10:44 PM
He'd be the favorite to take a guard spot opposite Incognito. Urbik (because he can back-up at center) and Miller are the back-ups and Williams is the odd man out.

psubills62
05-04-2015, 11:50 PM
Obviously there's a cap to the signing bonus, but what kind of incentives can be offered?

As others have said, if he wants to come in and compete to be a starter, hard to find a better situation. And it sounds like he met with Rex. If Ryan is truly a player's coach, would be nice if he could convince Collins to sign with Buffalo then.

Topas
05-05-2015, 02:04 AM

Well, in general I agree. Wait what the justice systems says, although your US systems sucks. But anyway. But waiting holds definitely true for Collins. But the same is not true for Winston. Because there the justice system is already finished, because IIRC the woman did not speak with the police. And that stinks that she was paid off. And in that instance, sorry, I try to steer clear of these guys. And I am very lukewarm with our draft, not because of talent but I think each team can have a few douchebags as long as the locker room is working (i.e. Fred and Kyle kicking their assess if they screw up). But if you get too many douchebags then you will run into problems. And currently it looks like we are specifically targeting douchebags.

And I don't count Collins in that group. At least not yet. He just handled the situation very poorly.

Buddo
05-05-2015, 02:45 AM
Obviously there's a cap to the signing bonus, but what kind of incentives can be offered?

As others have said, if he wants to come in and compete to be a starter, hard to find a better situation. And it sounds like he met with Rex. If Ryan is truly a player's coach, would be nice if he could convince Collins to sign with Buffalo then.

There aren't really any incentives available. The whole pool for signing UDFAs has just something like $88,000 available for bonuses.

The only thing that could be done, would be to guarantee his contract in full, which amounts to just over $1.5 million for the 3 years. The other thing, is that after two years, he will be able to sign another deal with the team.

Night Train
05-05-2015, 04:11 AM
The key is to make sure he didn't pull a Rae Carruth and order a hit.

After all the bad publicity the NFL received last year, they will be monitoring this closely.

I want the team to get better but don't put the blinders on yet. Tread lightly while more info comes out.

swiper
05-05-2015, 04:17 AM
The key is to make sure he didn't pull a Rae Carruth and order a hit.

You hit the nail on the head.

YardRat
05-05-2015, 04:44 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/report-bills-rex-ryan-had-an-unsanctioned-meeting-with-lsus-lael-collins/

An 'unsanctioned meeting'? Never heard that one before.

chernobylwraiths
05-05-2015, 05:26 AM
why do I keep thinking of Rae Carruth?

casdhf
05-05-2015, 05:49 AM
This guy starts from day one. But where?

k-oneputt
05-05-2015, 06:42 AM
This guy starts from day one. But where?

Outside of LT and C he would be an upgrade at any of the remaining 3 spots.

SpikedLemonade
05-05-2015, 06:47 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/report-bills-rex-ryan-had-an-unsanctioned-meeting-with-lsus-lael-collins/

An 'unsanctioned meeting'? Never heard that one before.

I don't understand this.

Who would need to sanction the meeting?

trapezeus
05-05-2015, 06:54 AM
i think if the details are pointing to him being exonerated, being in contact with him during this difficult time should mean something to him. and you don't have to sign him, but simply having the coach show up and say, "we see your value, we believe you are going to be ok from this, and we'll take a chance. we hope you take a chance by signing with us" is all the bills have to do right now.

until someone else is charged, it's a pretty open case without a lot of details. i don't know if signing him today makes sense. but playing the game to make him feel wanted is important at this stage.

Zoneblitser
05-05-2015, 06:58 AM
I heard Howard David a nfl anylist on the nfl radio network say he thinks there was a unofficial nfl ban in teams from drafting this kid. Too much bad publicity last year and with Shane Rae and Gregory getting into trouble David thinks the league told teams to stay away. That is why this might be considered a unsanctioned meeting.

SpikedLemonade
05-05-2015, 07:01 AM
I agree Rex is doing the right thing here but for a guaranteed 3 year $1.5M contract I would roll the dice and sign him right now.

Show the kid you have faith in him.

If he is guilty, you cut him and have a small cap hit.

Well worth the risk.

Joe Fo Sho
05-05-2015, 07:12 AM
I don't understand this.

Who would need to sanction the meeting?

I don't get it either. It's the NFL, why would it be a problem meeting with an UDFA?

Zoneblitser
05-05-2015, 07:17 AM
I don't get it either. It's the NFL, why would it be a problem meeting with an UDFA?

Read two post up from yours. I beleave the NFL blackballed this kid from the draft and told teams to stay away from him.

MillsapsBillsFan
05-05-2015, 07:23 AM
I saw online that unsanctioned meeting means that it wasnt cleared through his agent. Not sure why it would need to be cleared through his agent to speak to him, or if there will be any penalties but thats what it is.

Let me see if I can find the tweet

Edit: Found it

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12822309/bills-coach-rex-ryan-lael-collins-meet-baton-rouge

https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/595412754057551873

deathadder
05-05-2015, 07:29 AM
Read two post up from yours. I beleave the NFL blackballed this kid from the draft and told teams to stay away from him.

The unsanctioned meeting meant that his agents weren't informed of it before Rex went to speak to Collins. Nothing to do with any bans or anything. Itsa a possibility Rex or the Bills could be fined if CBA states that he wasn't following the rules in contacting collins agent before speaking to him.

Mr. Miyagi
05-05-2015, 07:41 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm sure 31 other teams are talking to him as well.

Zoneblitser
05-05-2015, 08:03 AM
The unsanctioned meeting meant that his agents weren't informed of it before Rex went to speak to Collins. Nothing to do with any bans or anything. Itsa a possibility Rex or the Bills could be fined if CBA states that he wasn't following the rules in contacting collins agent before speaking to him.

I bet a million dollars it won't take three plus month's to investigate any wrong doing by the bills.

Joe Fo Sho
05-05-2015, 08:20 AM

An NFL team should be able to tell the NFL to pound salt if they wanted to draft this kid, especially if it was an 'unofficial ban.' Besides, nobody drafted him. It should be fair game now as he's an UDFA.

Like Deathadder said, it may violate CBA rules if his agent wasn't informed of a meeting. I think that's a stupid rule, though.

Bill Cody
05-05-2015, 08:52 AM
Collins may be looking for a short term deal like 2 years. Because the amount he can be paid is small and the max bonus is small. I have a number of reservations about Rex but salesmanship isn't one of them. Assuming he's not signing Buffalo up to take the lead over NE in murderers this would be a very good start for Rex to deliver Collins to Buffalo.

Bill Cody
05-05-2015, 08:54 AM
What we need here is a little friendly persuasion from a potential future team mate. Can anyone think of anyone that might be a good candidate to send Collins a friendly text or 20,000?

deathadder
05-05-2015, 08:59 AM
An NFL team should be able to tell the NFL to pound salt if they wanted to draft this kid, especially if it was an 'unofficial ban.' Besides, nobody drafted him. It should be fair game now as he's an UDFA.

Like Deathadder said, it may violate CBA rules if his agent wasn't informed of a meeting. I think that's a stupid rule, though.

Thanks. I believe the reason no one wanted to draft him is because he was threatening to go back into the 2016 draft. There is an NFL rule that if he doesn't sign with the team that drafts him, he can elect to go into next years draft. If someone drafted him, he then didn't have to sign and would be thrown back into the draft. Now, since he is a UDFA, there is no possibility of him being thrown back into the draft if he wasn't signed.

Dr. Who
05-05-2015, 09:23 AM
What we need here is a little friendly persuasion from a potential future team mate. Can anyone think of anyone that might be a good candidate to send Collins a friendly text or 20,000?

Kyle Williams, he went to LSU and loves Buffalo.

Joe Fo Sho
05-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Collins may be looking for a short term deal like 2 years.

All undrafted rookie contracts are 3 years in length per the new CBA. The player can then renegotiate after 2 years in the league.

better days
Well, in general I agree. Wait what the justice systems says, although your US systems sucks. But anyway. But waiting holds definitely true for Collins. But the same is not true for Winston. Because there the justice system is already finished, because IIRC the woman did not speak with the police. And that stinks that she was paid off. And in that instance, sorry, I try to steer clear of these guys. And I am very lukewarm with our draft, not because of talent but I think each team can have a few douchebags as long as the locker room is working (i.e. Fred and Kyle kicking their assess if they screw up). But if you get too many douchebags then you will run into problems. And currently it looks like we are specifically targeting douchebags.

And I don't count Collins in that group. At least not yet. He just handled the situation very poorly.

Yes, the woman spoke to the police. She gave a deposition of what she says happened.

Winston & Darby also spoke to the police & gave depositions.

The police did not see fit to charge Winston with a crime.

The Bucs & Bills read the depositions in the case & did not speak to the girl because they did not think she would have anything further to add.

The girl has not been paid off, but she has filed a civil suit against Winston. If she wins that suit which has a lower threshold of proof than a criminal case the girl will get a lot of money.

As I said before, both the Bucs & the Bills have women involved in the ownership of the team & I don't think either team would draft a player they thought was involved in a rape.

And even with the lower threshold of proof, I doubt the woman wins the civil suit.

Collins is a suspect because in many cases a person is killed by someone they have a relationship with.

And an example of the Bucs not drafting a player of questionable character is Justin Blackmon. The Bucs wanted to draft him but heard he spent a lot of time at a bar near his college campus.

The Bucs sent someone to pose as a customer at that bar to see how often Blackmon went into the bar & how much time he spent there.

Based on what they discovered, the Bucs did not draft Blackmon. The Jags did draft him to their regret.

Joe Fo Sho
Thanks. I believe the reason no one wanted to draft him is because he was threatening to go back into the 2016 draft. There is an NFL rule that if he doesn't sign with the team that drafts him, he can elect to go into next years draft. If someone drafted him, he then didn't have to sign and would be thrown back into the draft. Now, since he is a UDFA, there is no possibility of him being thrown back into the draft if he wasn't signed.

Yeah, his agent really blew it for him.

better days
05-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Yeah, his agent really blew it for him.

Maybe not. Collins may be better off as an undrafted FA than to be drafted in the 5th rnd or lower.

And I doubt any team would have drafted him higher than the 5th rd if that high because of a murder investigation hanging over his head.

Albany,n.y.
05-05-2015, 09:55 AM

You made this one too easy:

OJ

Joe Fo Sho
05-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Maybe not. Collins may be better off as an undrafted FA than to be drafted in the 5th rnd or lower.

And I doubt any team would have drafted him higher than the 5th rd if that high because of a murder investigation hanging over his head.

You're right, he absolutely can make out better. Getting his 2nd contract a year sooner has potential to get him significantly more money, but only if he plays very well and didn't actually have a hand in that little murder everyone is talking about.

Bill Cody
05-05-2015, 10:07 AM
You made this one too easy:

OJ

I guess no one liked my little joke, I was thinking Incognito

GvilleBills
05-05-2015, 11:06 AM
For the last time, there were no charges in the Winston case because there was no investigation until almost a year later.
Willie Meggs didn't believe he had enough for the conviction ( again because of the TPD botch job), he never said Winston was innocent.

They tried to pay her off, Kinsman isn't budging. Innocent folks do not attempt to pay people off. Winston has a method, there will be more.

Better Days believes she got what was coming to her, because she went to the room. He's a scumbag Bucs homer. Please do not get your information from him.

Do do your own research.

Skooby
05-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Terry's plane flew from LA to Buffalo this morning & landed about 1.5 hours ago.

Ed
05-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Was Collins the father of the unborn baby?

Mr. Miyagi
05-05-2015, 11:19 AM
Are you positive about that rule? I'm pretty sure that you can't be drafted twice. Otherwise in the history of NFL draft there had to have been a player not happy with falling in the rounds and not sign just to try again the following year. It has never happened once.

Meathead
05-05-2015, 11:21 AM

dammit. i mean yeah too easy

swiper
05-05-2015, 11:22 AM
Dolphins follow suit. Send Philbin and 3 former LSU teammates to recruit Collins (including Kelvin Sheppard).

LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/05/dolphins-send-former-lsu-teammates-to-recruit-lael-collins/)

swiper
05-05-2015, 11:23 AM
Are you positive about that rule? I'm pretty sure that you can't be drafted twice. Otherwise in the history of NFL draft there had to have been a player not happy with falling in the rounds and not sign just to try again the following year. It has never happened once.

I believe the reason no one drafted him is because they all got a call from Goodell encouraging them to pass. They said something to this regard in one of the draft broadcasts - suggesting that.

Bill Cody
05-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Yes, the woman spoke to the police. She gave a deposition of what she says happened.

Winston & Darby also spoke to the police & gave depositions.

The police did not see fit to charge Winston with a crime.

So in your mind that equals Winston didn't rape her? Yeah ok. In this country rape on college campuses is an epidemic, also in the military. It's not even reported in many cases because the woman knows the ordeal she'll have to go through and unless the investigation is handled just right the perp often walks or isn't charged. Could she be a gold digger that just made the story up for a pay day? Sure it's possible. Just not likely. Statistically the odds of a falsely reported rape in the US are < 10%. Yet we assume a self entitled punk that stole crab legs is telling the truth? I think he raped her. Not charged doesn't equal innocent.

Mr. Miyagi
05-05-2015, 11:29 AM
I believe the reason no one drafted him is because they all got a call from Goodell encouraging them to pass. They said something to this regard in one of the draft broadcasts - suggesting that.
I understand, but that is not my point. I'm saying that he cannot reenter the draft in 2016. I don't believe any players has ever done that, go undrafted and enter the draft again the following year.

justasportsfan
05-05-2015, 11:31 AM
I think he's innocent................ if he signs with the bills.

If he signs with the Dolphins give him the CHAIR! No questions asked.

Mr. Miyagi
05-05-2015, 11:33 AM
So in your mind that equals Winston didn't rape her? Yeah ok. In this country rape on college campuses is an epidemic, also in the military. It's not even reported in many cases because the woman knows the ordeal she'll have to go through and unless the investigation is handled just right the perp often walks or isn't charged. Could she be a gold digger that just made the story up for a pay day? Sure it's possible. Just not likely. Statistically the odds of a falsely reported rape in the US are < 10%. Yet we assume a self entitled punk that stole crab legs is telling the truth? I think he raped her. Not charged doesn't equal innocent.
I don't know the facts to that story but Winston sure seems like a self-entitled punk like you said.

I saw his interview with Jim Harbaugh when asked about the crab legs, he said his buddy who worked there just gave it to him and he thought that was OK. Really? Did he think his buddy owned Publilx or something? A guy that works behind the counter doesn't have the authority to give away free products. Yet Winston isn't smart enough to even consider that. Punk ass.

swiper
05-05-2015, 11:36 AM
I understand, but that is not my point. I'm saying that he cannot reenter the draft in 2016. I don't believe any players has ever done that, go undrafted and enter the draft again the following year.

Because it's not allowed.

Since Collins went undrafted, he cannot re-enter the 2016 draft.

LINK (http://www.wgr550.com/Rex-Ryan-meets-with-La-el-Collins-in-Baton-Rouge/21465112)

Skooby
05-05-2015, 11:42 AM
@ArmandoSalguero: Dolphins coach Joe Philbin is not visiting La'el Collins in Baton Rouge or anywhere else. Neither are Mike Tannenbaum nor Dennis Hickey.

Mr. Miyagi
05-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Because it's not allowed.

LINK (http://www.wgr550.com/Rex-Ryan-meets-with-La-el-Collins-in-Baton-Rouge/21465112)
That's what I thought.

deathadder
05-05-2015, 11:50 AM

If a player gets drafted and doesn't sign with the team, he goes back into the draft. The team has exclusive rights for one year for that player. Now since Collins is a UDFA, he can't re-enter the draft because he was never drafted.

deathadder
05-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Here's an article that explains that collins would need to have been drafted to re-enter the draft in 2016

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/02/collins-needs-to-be-drafted-in-order-to-re-enter-the-draft/

BuffaloRedleg
05-05-2015, 12:19 PM
This is why you bring in coaches like Ryan. They have experience working the media in delicate situations like this and they have the star power to bring in players who would normally have gone elsewhere.

jills
05-05-2015, 12:35 PM
This is why you bring in coaches like Ryan. They have experience working the media in delicate situations like this and they have the star power to bring in players who would normally have gone elsewhere.

Like Bulaga and McCown?

BertSquirtgum
05-05-2015, 12:51 PM
Like Bulaga and McCown?

Bahahahaha. Yeah great loss there.

GvilleBills
05-05-2015, 12:58 PM
I don't know the facts to that story but Winston sure seems like a self-entitled punk like you said.

I saw his interview with Jim Harbaugh when asked about the crab legs, he said his buddy who worked there just gave it to him and he thought that was OK. Really? Did he think his buddy owned Publilx or something? A guy that works behind the counter doesn't have the authority to give away free products. Yet Winston isn't smart enough to even consider that. Punk ass.

Not to mention that it's a different tune than the one he sang when caught. He said he forgot to pay. Then changed the story to Harbaugh. Free crab legs is an impermissible benefit, and an NCAA violation.

So, you have an athlete who has done nothing but display a sense of entitlement and an affinity for changing his story. But the Tallahassee Police Department (proven Seminole football supporters) saw no reason to even question him immediately following the charge. They set about a smear campaign to discredit the young lady to protect the program.
The TPD should be cratered for the cover up lengths they'll go to to protect the Football team.

Different example, but If I had left the scene of an accident, only to return an hour (and without everyone in the vehicle) later, I wouldn't have gotten a slap on the hand like Darby did.

The bottom line being, consequences and repercussions help formulate the person you will become. What kind of person will you be if you feel as though the rules do not apply to you? And you have the financial wherewithal to do whatever you want?

Darren Sharper???

Man of the year, pillar of the community...Apex Predator.

MillsapsBillsFan
05-05-2015, 12:58 PM

No one has ever done it because it would be career suicide. There would be almost no chance of getting drafted higher after a year off and there would be huge character concerns. Michael Crabtree (I think it was him) threatened to do it when he got drafted as a negotiation tactic.

It is the rule, its just never been done.

You can enter the draft again if you are drafted and do not sign, but if you go undrafted you become a free agent and you are not draft eligible

baamf
05-05-2015, 01:00 PM

The meeting was against league rules; Ryan should know better. Expect a fine...

Skooby
05-05-2015, 01:10 PM
Oops??:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/05/teams-cant-meet-with-lael-collins-yet/#comment-4217822

SpikedLemonade
05-05-2015, 01:48 PM

I hope you are right.

I hope Rex's ass can cash all the checks his mouth writes.

SpikedLemonade
05-05-2015, 01:49 PM
The meeting was against league rules; Ryan should know better. Expect a fine...

The fine will be worth it if we get him.

MikeInRoch
05-05-2015, 01:54 PM

You are not allowed to re-enter the draft if you were not drafted the previous year. You are allowed to re-enter the draft if you *were* drafted but didn't sign. See: Bo Jackson.

Albany,n.y.
05-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Oops??:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/05/teams-cant-meet-with-lael-collins-yet/#comment-4217822

HTF then do teams sign undrafted free agents the night after the draft ends? They have to meet someone in order to get a signed contract.

Buffalogic
05-05-2015, 02:12 PM
There is only a fine if the visit occurs on campus or at the player's residence. Ryan met with him at a restaurant.

SpikedLemonade
05-05-2015, 02:27 PM
HTF then do teams sign undrafted free agents the night after the draft ends? They have to meet someone in order to get a signed contract.

The player's agent.

Albany,n.y.
05-05-2015, 02:55 PM
The player's agent.

That's the company line, but seriously-would you sign something a representative handed you without ever talking to the person who wrote the original contract, especially in a profession like football where you'd like to know directly what their plans are for you? Also if they can relay all that to the agent but can't talk directly to the player, it is just a stupid system that needs change.

SpikedLemonade
05-05-2015, 03:01 PM
That's the company line, but seriously-would you sign something a representative handed you without ever talking to the person who wrote the original contract, especially in a profession like football where you'd like to know directly what their plans are for you? Also if they can relay all that to the agent but can't talk directly to the player, it is just a stupid system that needs change.

I am not defending the system, but these young athletes do put a lot of faith in their agents.

I think normally when they go undrafted, they are just happy to go anywhere and will go where ever their agent tells them to go.

sudzy
05-05-2015, 03:37 PM
If the Bills were interested, they should have spent a 7th on him. Take the guess work out. Remember the Bills were interested in signing Cameron Wake before the Dolphins? I just like Buffalo is always be at a disadvantage to Miami when it comes to signing player.

Albany,n.y.
05-05-2015, 03:42 PM
I am not defending the system, but these young athletes do put a lot of faith in their agents.

I think normally when they go undrafted, they are just happy to go anywhere and will go where ever their agent tells them to go.

The system is a stupid as when 2 siblings swear they're not talking so one says, right in front of the other "Mom, tell Johnny to stay out of my room." and Johnny respond "Mom, tell her I'd rather be in a tub of boiling oil than be in her room."

Skooby
05-05-2015, 04:16 PM

Then he doesn't sign a contract with us & gets to re-enter the draft next year, his own agent admitted that he needed to be drafted 3rd or sooner (or that would happen).

SpikedLemonade
05-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Because he was not drafted this year, he cannot refuse to sign and re-enter the draft next year.

All he can do is sign with some team now or later.

No more drafts for him.

swiper
05-05-2015, 04:22 PM
why do I keep thinking of Rae Carruth?

Because you just read post #28?

BertSquirtgum
05-05-2015, 04:23 PM
The kid is an undrafted free agent. Why the **** can't teams meet with him? The NFL has become such a joke.

swiper
05-05-2015, 04:27 PM
I hope you are right.

I hope Rex's ass can cash all the checks his mouth writes.

He's not. Rex Ryan is a buffoon with the media.

swiper
05-05-2015, 04:28 PM
If the Bills were interested, they should have spent a 7th on him. Take the guess work out. Remember the Bills were interested in signing Cameron Wake before the Dolphins? I just like Buffalo is always be at a disadvantage to Miami when it comes to signing player.

As has been stated. If any team signed him in the 5th round or below, the player could have refused to sign and re-entered the draft in 2016.

DraftBoy
05-05-2015, 06:25 PM

They don't sign them. They agree to terms with them verbally.

That's why all the UDFA news for the first 36-48 hours comes with a disclaimer that these are not official. The contracts aren't all signed until the official announcement comes from the team.

JohnnyGold
05-05-2015, 07:20 PM
The system is a stupid as when 2 siblings swear they're not talking so one says, right in front of the other "Mom, tell Johnny to stay out of my room." and Johnny respond "Mom, tell her I'd rather be in a tub of boiling oil than be in her room."

Absolutely not true.

negotiating a large contract with a future employer can be awkward--its why many companies have senior management negotiate directly with HR for a salary. if you and your employer have a large discrepancy in what you think youre worth and what he thinks youre worth, it can call into question everything from your value to the company, to what the day-to-day functions of your job even are, and make going into work monday morning awkward.

agents create that buffer.

very essential in big deals.

Albany,n.y.
05-05-2015, 07:58 PM
Absolutely not true.

negotiating a large contract with a future employer can be awkward--its why many companies have senior management negotiate directly with HR for a salary. if you and your employer have a large discrepancy in what you think youre worth and what he thinks youre worth, it can call into question everything from your value to the company, to what the day-to-day functions of your job even are, and make going into work monday morning awkward.

agents create that buffer.

very essential in big deals.
I'm not talking about the need for an agent. I'm saying how ridiculous it is that a team can have no direct contact with a player when in reality the agent can be on one line with the team & one line with the player and they can basically talk with each other through the 3rd party. It's exactly the same as 2 kids at a table telling their mother what to say to the other kid. The NFL is treating young adults like they're still children & they can only talk with mommy or daddy & not directly with the kid.

Zoneblitser
05-06-2015, 06:03 AM
Have none of you guy's ever been devorced? The first thing a attorney wants to do is get an order of protection. The last thing the attorney wants is for a couple to work things out on their own.

Meathead
05-06-2015, 06:41 AM
when you got devorced was it from your sister

Jaybird
05-06-2015, 06:53 AM
We should offer first round money if we really want him.

Joe Fo Sho
05-06-2015, 07:03 AM
We should offer first round money if we really want him.

We're not allowed to. The max deal is 3 years, something like $1.5 mil. I believe the only thing we're allowed to do is guarantee the entire contract, which is what every team is going to do. Money is not the issue in signing this guy.

Zoneblitser
05-06-2015, 07:29 AM
when you got devorced was it from your sister

Not following you. Why would you say that?

SpikedLemonade
05-06-2015, 07:46 AM
Not looking good literally...

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/05/06/lael-collins-takes-selfie-with-dolphins-wont-sign-with-a-team-until-cleared/

Zoneblitser
05-06-2015, 07:55 AM
Kelvin Sheppard. I'm so glad we made that trade for Hughes.

SpikedLemonade
05-06-2015, 07:58 AM
@OmarKelly: I asked a league insider & he told me teams were scared because La'el Collins SUPPOSEDLY had threatening texts to the woman.

kscdogbillsfan1221
05-06-2015, 08:03 AM
@OmarKelly: I asked a league insider & he told me teams were scared because La'el Collins SUPPOSEDLY had threatening texts to the woman.

THat's wonderful... An O line with him would be a bully, another bully who possibly ordered a hit on somebody, thurman merman, pot head and cordy glenn.

Skooby
05-06-2015, 09:11 AM
Whoa, that's not good.

BertSquirtgum
05-06-2015, 10:04 AM
I was talking with my friends about him last night and we came to the conclusion that he most likely had somebody off her for him. That way he has an established alibi. Can't hide the texts so that doesn't bode well for him.

MillsapsBillsFan
05-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Kelvin Sheppard. I'm so glad we made that trade for Hughes.

If Kelvin Sheppard Helps lure Collins to the dolphins it will have been his most meaningful contribution to any NFL team his whole career

MillsapsBillsFan
05-06-2015, 10:14 AM

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/05/06/lael-collins-takes-selfie-with-dolphins-wont-sign-with-a-team-until-cleared/

That doesnt bode too well for us, but who knows

On another note, did you see the article before that? In its headline it says "Bills not expected to sign Collins" and then gives absolutely no reasoning, gotta love team biased media http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/05/05/bills-not-expected-to-sign-lael-collins-dolphins-continue-to-make-sense/

BertSquirtgum
05-06-2015, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't put any stock into anything about the Bills from a gay sharks website.

SpikedLemonade
05-06-2015, 12:04 PM
@AndrewSiciliano: Rex Ryan denies story that he ordered lobster appetizer:
"That's a false report. I did have gumbo."

MillsapsBillsFan
05-06-2015, 12:07 PM
@AndrewSiciliano: Rex Ryan denies story that he ordered lobster appetizer:
"That's a false report. I did have gumbo."

Thank god Rex cleared that one up for us.

SpikedLemonade
05-06-2015, 12:10 PM
He loves his gumbo.

Bill Cody
05-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Best outcome: Collins is completely innocent and he signs with the Bills
2nd best outcome: Collins is cleared initially, signs with the Fins but additional evidence comes out and he's arrested turning the fins season into a 3 ring circus and they finish 7-9

justasportsfan
05-06-2015, 12:21 PM

He doesn't look sad. He's guilty!!!!!!!!!!!!

emoulds80
05-06-2015, 03:09 PM
dont all ex couple threaten each other lol??? just saying, i put no weight into that at all.

Bill Cody
05-06-2015, 03:16 PM
dont all ex couple threaten each other lol??? just saying, i put no weight into that at all.

Well there is that annoying little tid bit about the girl being dead and all so maybe it's not your ordinary smack talk. I mean somebody killed her, you look for folks with motive, that's detective work 101

Skooby
05-06-2015, 07:24 PM
The baby wasn't Collins, RIP to the little dolly.

Night Train
05-07-2015, 05:21 AM
The baby wasn't Collins, RIP to the little dolly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/06/report-lael-collins-paternity-test-is-negative/

Night Train
05-07-2015, 05:24 AM
Collins should sue the NFL for the right to be re-entered in the supplemental draft.

The untimely death of an ex should be checked out but this cost the guy millions in deserving income. If this had happened in January and he was cleared, he still goes top 20 last weekend.

This tough luck explanation doesn't work in this circumstance. Why should he pay if he's innocent ?

DraftBoy
05-07-2015, 05:59 AM
Collins should sue the NFL for the right to be re-entered in the supplemental draft.

The untimely death of an ex should be checked out but this cost the guy millions in deserving income. If this had happened in January and he was cleared, he still goes top 20 last weekend.

This tough luck explanation doesn't work in this circumstance. Why should he pay if he's innocent ?

He's not going to win that suit. The NFL didn't do anything to Collins to cause his stock to drop. Does it suck for the young man? Absolutely, but this isn't the fault of the NFL.

SpikedLemonade
05-07-2015, 08:17 AM
The above article says he will be meeting with Dallas.

I would love to sign this guy and plug him into RT.

BuffaloRedleg
05-07-2015, 08:20 AM
Do we have any sort of leverage once negotiations start? Is Rex's star power basically our only chip?

I thought I saw somewhere that there is a max he can get paid and it's way below 1st round price, so he really will get his pick of the litter when and if the time comes.

SpikedLemonade
05-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Do we have any sort of leverage once negotiations start? Is Rex's star power basically our only chip?

I thought I saw somewhere that there is a max he can get paid and it's way below 1st round price, so he really will get his pick of the litter when and if the time comes.

Yup. All the teams will offer the same maximum amount of approx. $1.5M over 3 years.

It is all about opportunity and where he feels most comfortable.

He wants to play Tackle. I don't think anyone will hand him a LT position. We could hand him the RT position.

SpikedLemonade
05-07-2015, 08:52 AM
....Collins going undrafted was an unprecedented turn of events — one the NFL has “never seen,” ESPN reporter Adam Shefter said. But free agents have advantages that draftees do not.

They get to choose their team, and undrafted players reach free agency after three years, instead of four for draftees. They can also have their contracts restructured after two years, instead of three.

Collins will suffer a financial setback immediately. Undrafted free agents often are offered a signing bonus of less than $10,000 — a steep drop, even, from the $50,000-plus bonuses for seventh-round players. Also, undrafted rookies are restricted to making a maximum of $1.575 million in their first three years.

As a top 20 pick, Collins would have likely received a four-year contract worth more than $10 million with a signing bonus of more than $4 million....

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/12303884-123/source-former-lsu-ol-lael

Skooby
05-07-2015, 09:44 AM
We can guarantee all his money, that might help.

Joe Fo Sho
05-07-2015, 09:58 AM

Everybody's going to do that, this has nothing to do with money.

If he were drafted where he was projected, he was probably going to get $4 mil guaranteed. Every team is going to be willing to guarantee the kid $1.5 mil, especially since there's no money that would be owed on top of the guaranteed money.

SpikedLemonade
05-07-2015, 09:58 AM

Yes, of course. Every team will do that since it is so little.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-07-2015, 10:50 AM

Bo Jackson

Ed
05-07-2015, 10:59 AM

Being drafted in the NFL isn't some kind of right. Teams can pass on players for whatever reason they want. They don't need to justify it. It's not like he's the first person to experience some bad luck and it cost him. And he'll still have an opportunity to play in the NFL and earn himself a big payday.

SpikedLemonade
05-07-2015, 11:37 AM
...Collins was in Dallas for a meeting (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/07/report-lael-collins-in-dallas-to-visit-cowboys/) with the Cowboys on Wednesday and Michael Cauble of WBRZ in Baton Rouge reports that the tackle will fly (https://twitter.com/MichaelCauble/status/596350238224306178) to Miami in the next 24 hours to speak to the Dolphins. That meeting comes after several Dolphins players, including former LSU teammates Jarvis Landry (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9405/jarvis-landry) andAnthony Johnson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9543/anthony-johnson), visited Collins in Louisiana to pitch him on coming aboard....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/07/report-lael-collins-to-meet-with-dolphins-in-miami/

I would say if we don't hear of Collins flying to Buffalo to meet the Bills or Florida to meet Pegula in the next few days, we are out of the running.

SpikedLemonade
05-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Looks like it may be done...

Dallas Cowboys agree to terms with La'El Collins

The Dallas Cowboys (http://www.nfl.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL) continue to add big names to their offseason haul.
LSU offensive tackle La'el Collins has agreed to sign as an undrafted free agent, according to a source. The move continues an offseason trend of Cowboys (http://www.nfl.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL) owner Jerry Jones adding players that have been in the news: Greg Hardy (http://www.nfl.com/player/greghardy/496792/profile), Randy Gregory (http://www.nfl.com/player/randygregory/2552446/profile), and now Collins....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000491654/article/dallas-cowboys-agree-to-terms-with-lael-collins

SpikedLemonade
05-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer (https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer)4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/596369853491113985)
Per source, La'el Collins' 3-year deal is worth about $1.7 million. It's fully guaranteed, which is believed to be unprecedented for a UDFA.

Buffalogic
05-07-2015, 11:57 AM
He's flying to Miami now to meet with the fins. I don't believe anything until he actually signs on the 9th.