PDA

View Full Version : I'm Still Worried About The Bills Leaving Buffalo

BillsImpossible
05-07-2015, 10:45 PM
Everything is roses right now. All is fine and dandy for those who can afford to concentrate on such things.

The Pegulas saved the Bills (and Sabres) and everyone is high on what they have accomplished in downtown Buffalo.

Buffalo is on the rebound, right?

I'm not so sure about that anymore. Reality seems to be crashing down hard lately in all sorts of ways.

Reality really bites. Keep in mind that the Pegulas got a lot of tax breaks to do what they have done. They're not permanent. They are temporary.

What has taken place in downtown Buffalo over the past 3 years has been a 1 couple show, and that's about it.

Take away everything Kim and Terry Pegula have done, and what's left? SolarCity, your latest food truck, and another bar or two, or three or more.

The New Buffalo Shirt Factory in Clarence is closing August 1st. 85 good paying jobs gone.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2015/05/04/new-buffalo-shirt-factory-to-close-aug-1.html

Got the news yesterday that my neighbor and his family are planning on moving to South Carolina this summer. They're purchasing a 1,400 square foot new build home in a neighborhood just outside of Myrtle Beach.

The main reason they're leaving?

"Property taxes," and better job opportunities for his son who still lives at home but can't find a good paying job even though he's a hard working kid with a good head on his shoulders and has a college degree.

My neighbor is currently paying about $4,500 a year in property taxes for a small ranch in Cheektavegas. I asked him what his property taxes are going to be in South Carolina for his new home.

"$400 a year."

Four hundred freaking dollars! My jaw literally dropped, and so did the hose I was using to water the lawn. It was quite eye opening to hear that.
In 10 years my neighbor will save over $40,000 in property taxes alone.

Then I got the double whammy news today that a friend of mine is moving to North Carolina. He's 25 years old, just got engaged and is leaving Buffalo in the fall. His fiance doesn't want to buy a house in WNY because she wants to save the money in property taxes for her kid's college tuition.

She sounds like a smart girl. Can you blame her?

Driving home from work this evening I saw a small business on French Road that specialized in auto transmission parts closed. It's the third small business I've seen shut their doors in the last two weeks.

Ruben's NY Deli in Amherst also just went out of business. Meanwhile, the Garden Village Plaza on the corner of Union Rd. and French Rd. in Cheektowaga sits totally empty as it has been for the past 20 years.

Kenmore is losing businesses like crazy. Premiere Liquor moved to Maple Rd. in Amherst, Morgan's closed a few years ago, Demetri's closed, John & Mary's just recently closed, the last Sears Hardware store in the State of New York closed last year, and the once booming Sheridan Plaza is now half vacant.

I went to a deli in the Sheridan Plaza about a week ago and the business owner said he's probably going to close in the next year, sell his home and move his business down south.

"It's not hard to beat Subway, I did it for 9 years," he said. So true.

The owner lost half of his business the day after the Town of Tonawanda shut down the road for construction that has lasted for over 2 years and is still ongoing to this day. "You can build a ****** brand new NFL stadium in 2 years for Christ's sake."

I couldn't agree more, especially after seeing what the owner of Lunettas on Cleveland Drive has had to deal with lately.

Road construction crews are destroying small businesses in WNY. In Canada and most other States in America, road construction is primarily done at night so as not to interfere with daytime business activity.

The towns of Kenmore and Tonawanda, along with New York State could give a rats ass about small businesses, and it shows. If they had any respect for small businesses, they would change their outdated, business interfering road construction ways.

Try building a new stadium in downtown Buffalo during the business daytime. Good luck, Kim and Terry because road construction alone is going to take years and will ultimately kill off any remaining small businesses downtown.

Mowing the lawn this evening on my $5,000 a year in property taxes home, all of these thoughts kept racing through my head and I've finally come to some kind of conclusion.

People are leaving WNY for what are essentially business reasons, duh.

"It's nothing personal, it's just business," someone once said.

It's pretty simple, doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the math. If a homeowner moves from X to Y, they will have an additional $40 Grand in their bank account in 10 short years, guaranteed.

That's a better return on investment than playing the stock market.

After the Pegulas purchased the Bills, I was under the impression that Buffalo was rebounding and the mass exodus was finally over.

Apparently not. Buffalo recently had its first increase in population since the 1960's due to immigration. Most of the immigrants are coming from Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia and a host of other third world countries. I seriously doubt they will be able to afford to purchase tickets to a Bills game, let alone have any interest in American football.

If people keep leaving Buffalo, especially young people with kids, (future fans) and small businesses keep closing left and right, how in the world can the Buffalo Bills remain viable in WNY for the next 30 years?

Given the situation and 10 more years of the same old song of business incompetence in Buffalo, who could ever blame the Pegulas for moving if they eventually decide to do so?

Can you blame your neighbor for moving?

BillsOwnAll
05-07-2015, 11:14 PM
I quit reading after the 400$ property taxes in sc. But did you know my 175k house in mass sells for about 50k down in the south. You can't compare anywhere to the Northeast. It's expeineinve but a "bad" paying job would be a "good paying" job down there. I agree there isn't much in buffalo, but there is tradition and fans that sell out the stadium 8 Sunday's a year (hopefully more then 8 this year ). Unless you start seeing the stadium half empty then I wouldn't worry. This seems like more then to be just about the bills moving though...

BillsOwnAll
05-07-2015, 11:18 PM
Also im not going to look it up but I would be willing to bet living where there is hurricane and tornados reguairy home insurance is a lot more expinensive. If everything was so peachy down there no one would live up here.

Ingtar33
05-08-2015, 01:07 AM
Also im not going to look it up but I would be willing to bet living where there is hurricane and tornados reguairy home insurance is a lot more expinensive. If everything was so peachy down there no one would live up here.

well, i used to maintain a home in western new york (the home i grew up in). It was basically closed year round, except for a few weeks a year when i'd roll into town to meet old high school friends, and hang out, then chill with my father. in the end the property tax forced me to sell it. Where i currently live (in a home with a market value 10x my old home in nys) i'm paying about the same propperty tax i was on my old ny state home... which would mean that yes, property taxes are 1/10 what they are in my old neighborhood in western new york.

it's a good neighborhood i live in, and the insurance is reasonable, the other expenses such as "state income tax" is capped close to 3% annual for me, in NYS it would be much closer to 9%, sales tax is about the same, car insurance is a fraction of what i know my father still pays in NYS. frankly it's lower for me now then it was when i was 16... ~almost 30 years ago. I have full coverage, on a two year old car, and i'm paying $75/mo or $900/year. and that's on an expensive foreign car that's less then 2yo. My wife pays much less.

Granted I've not been in NYS for years, so i don't know. I'm heartbroken to hear about John and Marys... are all of them closed? I was sorta looking forward to swinging by a J&M when i visited my father this summer.

Night Train
05-08-2015, 03:41 AM
Apples and Oranges.

I traveled everywhere in the States and wound up back in WNY. It WAS really bad a few years back but is doing much better. Welfare reform is needed but anyone that has been downtown lately has to be blind not to see all the new construction and businesses opening up. The cobblestone district is on one side of the hockey arena and canalside on the other. There is so much to do down there these days and in this WNY area in general. I am never bored here.

Taxes suck but real estate and other cost of living expenses are cheap. Not so other places. I have a large home I could never afford elsewhere and lots of extra income that goes into the bank. My quality of life here is outstanding, IMO. No hurricanes, tornado's, 100 + degree weather in the summer. I can take the winters and the other 3 seasons here I enjoy. I find it extremely easy to live here.

Pegula and his family will be here long after I'm gone.

HHURRICANE
05-08-2015, 05:38 AM
I live in Atlanta and my property taxes are $16,000. I guess the Falcons are moving to Buffalo based on your logic.

If anyone knows of any property in downtown Buffalo that they want to unload for tax reasons please, please, please call me.

I'll take it off your hands gladly!!!

coastal
05-08-2015, 05:40 AM
Ban this clown

SpikedLemonade
05-08-2015, 06:53 AM
The op obviously does not know about B.E.R.M (The Buffalo Economic Renaissance Miracle).

Perhaps someone can fill him in on it.

trapezeus
05-08-2015, 06:56 AM
the original post was a waste of time and then spike entered the conversation and somehow made it worse.

Let us know when something you root for actually occurs. the bills didn't move, the sabres got the #2 pick, the bruins missed the playoffs. troll elsewhere.

Zoneblitser
05-08-2015, 07:13 AM
Ileft N.Y. seven years ago. Only partly because of Taxes. Mostly because of politics. I'm sad because I think N.Y. is one of the most beautiful states I've seen. The thousand islands, lake placid, the finger lakes, Niagra Falls, Southern Tier, Central N.Y. the Adirondacks, the Hudson Valley. And then there is why I left. NYC.

Gilly
05-08-2015, 07:14 AM
I have a $150k house in Tucson, AZ. Property taxes are $1100. Would love to move back to WNY but cannot due to lack of jobs and the insane tax rates you all pay..

Keep electing those democrats to run things!!!

:rofl: l o o n s..

better days
05-08-2015, 08:02 AM
I have a $150k house in Tucson, AZ. Property taxes are $1100. Would love to move back to WNY but cannot due to lack of jobs and the insane tax rates you all pay..

Keep electing those democrats to run things!!!

:rofl: l o o n s..

There were few jobs available when I moved from Buffalo, but that does not appear to be the case any longer.

When I listen to WGR on the app, GEICO is advertising all the time for people to hire at good pay.

I don't hear anyone advertising to hire on the radio here in SW Fla.

streetkings01
05-08-2015, 08:04 AM
I live in Dutchess County about an hour from NYC , my property taxes are around $1700 with the the Star Rebate. I'm not complaining.

Discotrish
05-08-2015, 08:48 AM
Parts of California will fall into the ocean before the Bills leave Buffalo.

Patti

justasportsfan
05-08-2015, 09:02 AM
I'm pretty sure that the OP hasn't heard of the "Buffalo Billion" launched by Quomo.

Uncle Jesse
05-08-2015, 09:46 AM
Property taxes here are awful, no doubt. Mine are $4500 ish a year. However my state law enforcement job pays a ton more here than it would in the same position down south. A lot of those types of jobs, the pay is **** down there. My buddy moved there for a firefighting gig and makes like $30,000 a year to do it. I started day one $10,000 more a year. Already almost $16,000 more a year at 9 months in.

RandolphDuke
05-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Property taxes here are awful, no doubt. Mine are $4500 ish a year. However my state law enforcement job pays a ton more here than it would in the same position down south. A lot of those types of jobs, the pay is **** down there. My buddy moved there for a firefighting gig and makes like $30,000 a year to do it. I started day one $10,000 more a year. Already almost $16,000 more a year at 9 months in.
He dude, your property taxes just wiped out $4k of your income differential. Your crazy NY State income tax just wiped out another $4k (depending on which state your friend moved to). Gas is cheaper in the south, so is food, so is real estate. In real terms, I think your friend might be making more than you.

His 401k is probably smaller if that makes you feel any better.

PromoTheRobot
05-08-2015, 11:02 AM
Wow. What a sad sack thread. I swear some people don't know how to act unless they are feeling sorry for themselves. Being a Buffalo sports fan provided all the misery those folks needed. Now that the Pegulas own both teams, they have to resort to inventing reasons to be miserable. What? No meteor crashing into RWS?

As for living in the south, do you really want to be around people who think their state is being invaded by the military...when that same state already has 31 military bases in it??

Skooby
05-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Yes, homeowners insurance is more down here in SW FL. It more than makes up for it on no state tax on income & about 1/3 property taxes on the home.

Paranoid much ??

THATHURMANATOR
05-08-2015, 11:14 AM
This post just seems so rambling and uninformed.

Why was it written? It is just not right at all.

THATHURMANATOR
05-08-2015, 11:15 AM
He dude, your property taxes just wiped out $4k of your income differential. Your crazy NY State income tax just wiped out another $4k (depending on which state your friend moved to). Gas is cheaper in the south, so is food, so is real estate. In real terms, I think your friend might be making more than you.

His 401k is probably smaller if that makes you feel any better.

DOUBTFUL that real estate and food prices are cheaper in the south than in Buffalo.

YardRat
05-08-2015, 11:18 AM
I haven't been to either in a few years, but in my experience food prices (like, grocery store not restaurant) were quite a bit higher in Texas and Florida.

better days
05-08-2015, 11:21 AM
DOUBTFUL that real estate and food prices are cheaper in the south than in Buffalo.

I can say wings cost a fortune in SW FLA & taste like crap for the most part.

WagonCircler
05-08-2015, 11:23 AM
the original post was a waste of time and then spike entered the conversation and somehow made it worse.

This could be said in almost any thread.

BertSquirtgum
05-08-2015, 12:33 PM
Everything is roses right now. All is fine and dandy for those who can afford to concentrate on such things.

The Pegulas saved the Bills (and Sabres) and everyone is high on what they have accomplished in downtown Buffalo.

Buffalo is on the rebound, right?

I'm not so sure about that anymore. Reality seems to be crashing down hard lately in all sorts of ways.

Reality really bites. Keep in mind that the Pegulas got a lot of tax breaks to do what they have done. They're not permanent. They are temporary.

What has taken place in downtown Buffalo over the past 3 years has been a 1 couple show, and that's about it.

Take away everything Kim and Terry Pegula have done, and what's left? SolarCity, your latest food truck, and another bar or two, or three or more.

The New Buffalo Shirt Factory in Clarence is closing August 1st. 85 good paying jobs gone.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2015/05/04/new-buffalo-shirt-factory-to-close-aug-1.html

Got the news yesterday that my neighbor and his family are planning on moving to South Carolina this summer. They're purchasing a 1,400 square foot new build home in a neighborhood just outside of Myrtle Beach.

The main reason they're leaving?

"Property taxes," and better job opportunities for his son who still lives at home but can't find a good paying job even though he's a hard working kid with a good head on his shoulders and has a college degree.

My neighbor is currently paying about $4,500 a year in property taxes for a small ranch in Cheektavegas. I asked him what his property taxes are going to be in South Carolina for his new home.

"$400 a year."

Four hundred freaking dollars! My jaw literally dropped, and so did the hose I was using to water the lawn. It was quite eye opening to hear that.
In 10 years my neighbor will save over $40,000 in property taxes alone.

Then I got the double whammy news today that a friend of mine is moving to North Carolina. He's 25 years old, just got engaged and is leaving Buffalo in the fall. His fiance doesn't want to buy a house in WNY because she wants to save the money in property taxes for her kid's college tuition.

She sounds like a smart girl. Can you blame her?

Driving home from work this evening I saw a small business on French Road that specialized in auto transmission parts closed. It's the third small business I've seen shut their doors in the last two weeks.

Ruben's NY Deli in Amherst also just went out of business. Meanwhile, the Garden Village Plaza on the corner of Union Rd. and French Rd. in Cheektowaga sits totally empty as it has been for the past 20 years.

Kenmore is losing businesses like crazy. Premiere Liquor moved to Maple Rd. in Amherst, Morgan's closed a few years ago, Demetri's closed, John & Mary's just recently closed, the last Sears Hardware store in the State of New York closed last year, and the once booming Sheridan Plaza is now half vacant.

I went to a deli in the Sheridan Plaza about a week ago and the business owner said he's probably going to close in the next year, sell his home and move his business down south.

"It's not hard to beat Subway, I did it for 9 years," he said. So true.

The owner lost half of his business the day after the Town of Tonawanda shut down the road for construction that has lasted for over 2 years and is still ongoing to this day. "You can build a ****** brand new NFL stadium in 2 years for Christ's sake."

I couldn't agree more, especially after seeing what the owner of Lunettas on Cleveland Drive has had to deal with lately.

Road construction crews are destroying small businesses in WNY. In Canada and most other States in America, road construction is primarily done at night so as not to interfere with daytime business activity.

The towns of Kenmore and Tonawanda, along with New York State could give a rats ass about small businesses, and it shows. If they had any respect for small businesses, they would change their outdated, business interfering road construction ways.

Try building a new stadium in downtown Buffalo during the business daytime. Good luck, Kim and Terry because road construction alone is going to take years and will ultimately kill off any remaining small businesses downtown.

Mowing the lawn this evening on my $5,000 a year in property taxes home, all of these thoughts kept racing through my head and I've finally come to some kind of conclusion.

People are leaving WNY for what are essentially business reasons, duh.

"It's nothing personal, it's just business," someone once said.

It's pretty simple, doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the math. If a homeowner moves from X to Y, they will have an additional $40 Grand in their bank account in 10 short years, guaranteed.

That's a better return on investment than playing the stock market.

After the Pegulas purchased the Bills, I was under the impression that Buffalo was rebounding and the mass exodus was finally over.

Apparently not. Buffalo recently had its first increase in population since the 1960's due to immigration. Most of the immigrants are coming from Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia and a host of other third world countries. I seriously doubt they will be able to afford to purchase tickets to a Bills game, let alone have any interest in American football.

If people keep leaving Buffalo, especially young people with kids, (future fans) and small businesses keep closing left and right, how in the world can the Buffalo Bills remain viable in WNY for the next 30 years?

Given the situation and 10 more years of the same old song of business incompetence in Buffalo, who could ever blame the Pegulas for moving if they eventually decide to do so?

Can you blame your neighbor for moving?

I read the title and wanted to punch you in the face. Get a life.

BertSquirtgum
05-08-2015, 12:37 PM
Yes, homeowners insurance is more down here in SW FL. It more than makes up for it on no state tax on income & about 1/3 property taxes on the home.

Paranoid much ??

If it starts snowing in Florida I'll consider moving there.

Forward_Lateral
05-08-2015, 01:55 PM
I am not reading a single letter of that dumb ass post

better days
05-08-2015, 02:10 PM
If it starts snowing in Florida I'll consider moving there.

It snowed on Christmas Eve in Sarasota in the late 80's.

Albany,n.y.
05-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Parts of California will fall into the ocean before the Bills leave Buffalo.

Patti

When I thank Patti for a reply to the 1st post, you know the OP is barts**t crazy.

Skooby
05-08-2015, 03:25 PM
I can say wings cost a fortune in SW FLA & taste like crap for the most part.

Bowling Alley in Naples on US41 by pine ridge has great wings.

better days
05-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Bowling Alley in Naples on US41 by pine ridge has great wings.

If I am in the Naples area, I always go to that Chicago Italian place on Marco Island for the stuffed pizza.

Skooby
05-08-2015, 04:20 PM
If I am in the Naples area, I always go to that Chicago Italian place on Marco Island for the stuffed pizza.
Oh yeah, they have great food down there. Even the Marco Mariott has good food down there.

better days
05-08-2015, 04:24 PM
Oh yeah, they have great food down there. Even the Marco Mariott has good food down there.

I went to a wedding at the Marco Mariott.

Spent the weekend there, A GREAT wedding & a weekend I will never forget.

Skooby
05-08-2015, 04:34 PM
I went to a wedding at the Marco Mariott.

Spent the weekend there, A GREAT wedding & a weekend I will never forget.
Yeah, they are redoing and building a much larger area there now. It's supposed to be great I heard, so one could only imagine.

BillsImpossible
05-08-2015, 06:20 PM
The op obviously does not know about B.E.R.M (The Buffalo Economic Renaissance Miracle).

Perhaps someone can fill him in on it.

I actually used to work for the BERC, Buffalo Economic Renaissance Corporation.

It closed. Out of business. Just a little ironic.

http://www.berc.org/

http://community-wealth.org/content/buffalo-economic-renaissance-corporation-closed

BillsImpossible
05-08-2015, 06:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that the OP hasn't heard of the "Buffalo Billion" launched by Quomo.

I've heard of it and know what it is. Political BS. Complete garbage.

BillsImpossible
05-08-2015, 06:29 PM
I read the title and wanted to punch you in the face. Get a life.

I love you too, BS.

BillsImpossible
05-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Wow. What a sad sack thread. I swear some people don't know how to act unless they are feeling sorry for themselves. Being a Buffalo sports fan provided all the misery those folks needed. Now that the Pegulas own both teams, they have to resort to inventing reasons to be miserable. What? No meteor crashing into RWS?

Dude, I'm not 'inventing reasons to be miserable.' Those businesses that have closed recently are for real, and so is my neighbor and friend.

I'm guilty for pointing out those facts, sorry for spoiling the party. IF things really were getting better, then why are people still leaving?

Many Bills fans are acting like the Pegulas are the silver bullet solution that will fix all of Buffalo's economic problems.

They're in for a rude awakening.

If Buffalo really was on the rebound, why aren't former natives flocking back home in droves?

feldspar
05-08-2015, 07:01 PM
I'm worried about BillsImpossible starting another thread.

Ingtar33
05-08-2015, 07:03 PM
yet no one answered the most pressing question in my post. is John and Mary's closing? This is really important stuff people. I need to know!

BillsImpossible
05-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Niagara LaSalle Corp. files closing notice for Buffalo steel bar plant.

http://www.buffalonews.com/business/niagara-lasalle-corp-files-closing-notice-for-buffalo-steel-bar-plant-20150505

McDonald's on the corner of French and Borden closed about a year ago.

Friendly's on Union Rd across from the Apple Tree Mall closed about a year ago.

Since the Pegulas purchased the Sabres, how many companies that employ more than 50 people have popped up in WNY?

How many new businesses that are not a bar or restaurant have been created in WNY since 2011?

If you live in WNY, and know of a new business that opened recently, please make all of us feel better by proving me to be totally wrong.

BillsImpossible
05-08-2015, 07:17 PM
yet no one answered the most pressing question in my post. is John and Mary's closing? This is really important stuff people. I need to know!

They closed about 2 months ago on Sheridan Drive, and also closed their other store on Niagara Falls Blvd about a month ago.

Only location is on Harlem Rd.

feldspar
05-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Dude, I'm worried you are stupid. Who cares what closed?

Pegula's still have billions in their pocket, pretty much promised not to move the team, and have children to take over the legacy. They friggin' bought the team to keep it here, or that was a big part of it. Buffalonians will always turn out for Bills games.

What the **** does your friend moving have to do with anything? I don't care what businesses closed. You are being ridiculous...again. You should just really shut up now. I wish there was a kinder way to put it.

WagonCircler
05-08-2015, 07:27 PM
They closed about 2 months ago on Sheridan Drive, and also closed their other store on Niagara Falls Blvd about a month ago.

Simply not true. They did not close, the original owners moved.

2374 Niagara Falls Blvd, Tonawanda, NY 14150

But why let facts get in the way of a good story, right?

But you really should call them, you know, to let them know they're closed. (716) 696-6160. I just talked to them.

BillsImpossible
05-08-2015, 07:37 PM
I'm worried about BillsImpossible starting another thread.

Keep making jokes bro. If things don't really start to change, nobody will be laughing 10 years from now.

The Pegulas are business people. If things don't change soon, they can sell the Bills and Sabres to anyone they want for a nice profit in the future and say buh- bye.

I recently spoke with someone that works for NYSEG and we got talking about the Bills, of course. He told me flat out that the Bills will never build a stadium downtown. I was a little surprised and asked him why.

"Government bureaucracy and red tape. We can't even change a lightbulb on the 33 without going through hell and back."

Roger Goodell is on the record saying the Bills need a new stadium or else and time is ticking.

Look at Main Street in downtown Buffalo. 5 years of construction, and it is still on going to bring back cars (of all things) back to Main St.

5 years and millions of dollars later and we still can't drive on Main Street.

Peace Bridge? Uh, yeh.

If Buffalo can't build a freaking bridge in 20 years, good luck with building a new stadium downtown.

BillsImpossible
05-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Simply not true. They did not close, the original owners moved.

2374 Niagara Falls Blvd, Tonawanda, NY 14150

But why let facts get in the way of a good story, right?

But you really should call them, you know, to let them know they're closed. (716) 696-6160. I just talked to them.

That location has a bright LED sign on NFB. "NEW OWNER," it said last week. Same name, different owner.

Their location on Sheridan Drive is now a New York Style thin crust pizzeria owned by some Russian guy.

feldspar
05-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Keep making jokes bro. If things don't really start to change, nobody will be laughing 10 years from now.

The Pegulas are business people. If things don't change soon, they can sell the Bills and Sabres to anyone they want for a nice profit in the future and say buh- bye.

Who's kidding?

The Pegulas are multi-billionaires that have more money than they could possibly ever spend. Money was never a consideration when they bought the team. They wouldn't screw Buffalo to make a profit.

I'm not worried about the Pegulas moving this team, not even a little bit...even if your buddy did move to the Carolinas, or wherever the ****.

Ingtar33
05-08-2015, 07:50 PM

that's cool. i used to go to that one too when i was in high school from time to time. that's near the drive-in that was down that way (the drive-in is still there right?)

Atleast there still is a J&M, man that would have ruined my trip to buffalo this summer/fall

better days
05-08-2015, 07:50 PM
That location has a bright LED sign on NFB. "NEW OWNER," it said last week. Same name, different owner.

Their location on Sheridan Drive is now a New York Style thin crust pizzeria owned by some Russian guy.

So in other words, these are not vacant buildings with rats running all over the place, but new businesses.

BillsImpossible
05-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Dude, I'm worried you are stupid. Who cares what closed?

Pegula's still have billions in their pocket, pretty much promised not to move the team, and have children to take over the legacy. They friggin' bought the team to keep it here, or that was a big part of it. Buffalonians will always turn out for Bills games.

What the **** does your friend moving have to do with anything? I don't care what businesses closed. You are being ridiculous...again. You should just really shut up now. I wish there was a kinder way to put it.

There is a kinder way to put, but that would require taking off your freaking blue blinders.

You don't care about businesses closing. You don't care about my friends and neighbors moving away. You don't care about how freaking bloody corrupt the city of Buffalo is, you don't care about how extremely high property taxes in WNY are that keeps driving young people away.

All you care about is your temporary fix of bread and circus. Who cares about the future.

I understand that thinking long term is now impossible for most people stuck in the instant gratification moment, but I don't understand how people can so willingly turn a blind eye and hope for the best while the ship sinks right in front of us.

Keep playing your violin and refuse to recognize the obvious.

All I'm saying is that the ship is sinking as people are jumping ship left and right.

Your response along with the others is, "No it's not, just shut up, you're stupid. Stop posting."

Keep sucking your thumbs and pretend everything is just fine.

Ingtar33
05-08-2015, 08:01 PM
So in other words, these are not vacant buildings with rats running all over the place, but new businesses.

don't confuse the issue here. the important part is the subs. as long as the subs are the same it's all good. i couldn't care who the owner is. Furthermore there still is one "original" J&M out there.

shame about people leaving buffalo, but then again they've been leaving buffalo ever since i was born. city is still there. there still is an anchor bar, the bills, the sabres, Bocce's still has the best pizza, and Duffs is still chuggin along, the skyway still needs to be ripped down and main street is still a mess.

overall i still wish there was a way for me to move back to the city but it doesn't look like that will ever happen.

feldspar
05-08-2015, 08:14 PM
There is a kinder way to put, but that would require taking off your freaking blue blinders.

You don't care about businesses closing. You don't care about my friends and neighbors moving away. You don't care about how freaking bloody corrupt the city of Buffalo is, you don't care about how extremely high property taxes in WNY are that keeps driving young people away.

All you care about is your temporary fix of bread and circus. Who cares about the future.

I understand that thinking long term is now impossible for most people stuck in the instant gratification moment, but I don't understand how people can so willingly turn a blind eye and hope for the best while the ship sinks right in front of us.

Keep playing your violin and refuse to recognize the obvious.

All I'm saying is that the ship is sinking as people are jumping ship left and right.

Your response along with the others is, "No it's not, just shut up, you're stupid. Stop posting."

Keep sucking your thumbs and pretend everything is just fine.

Don't tell me what I care about, fella.

Nothing is just fine anywhere no matter who you are. If you're that worried, go get drunk if you aren't already.

The Bills have a long shelf-life in Buffalo. No need to worry sweetie-pie.

Just curious, but how old are you?

BillsImpossible
05-08-2015, 08:21 PM
don't confuse the issue here. the important part is the subs. as long as the subs are the same it's all good. i couldn't care who the owner is. Furthermore there still is one "original" J&M out there.

shame about people leaving buffalo, but then again they've been leaving buffalo ever since i was born. city is still there. there still is an anchor bar, the bills, the sabres, Bocce's still has the best pizza, and Duffs is still chuggin along, the skyway still needs to be ripped down and main street is still a mess.

overall i still wish there was a way for me to move back to the city but it doesn't look like that will ever happen.

Bocce's pizza is totally different now, and it sucks. They no longer have the Magherita cup and char pepperoni, the crust tastes like frozen dough, and Jimmy f'd up the sauce. I used to work at Bocce's when I was a teenager. The pizza used to be good, now it's your standard run of the mill pizza that looks and tastes nothing like the pies I once made there.

John & Mary's subs are the same far cry away from what they used to be. Best subs I ever had are at the tailgate deli on Delware Rd. People call the owner, "The Sub Nazi," lol.

Best pizza in town is the Fat Man on NFB next to St. Christopher's Church in a tiny shack next to Valint's Meats.

BillsImpossible
05-08-2015, 08:34 PM
Don't tell me what I care about, fella.

Nothing is just fine anywhere no matter who you are. If you're that worried, go get drunk if you aren't already.

The Bills have a long shelf-life in Buffalo. No need to worry sweetie-pie.

Just curious, but how old are you?

I'm over 2000 years old. What does age have to do with the conversation?

The Bills have a long shelf life in Buffalo?

If the Pegulas can't build a new stadium within the next 10 years, we're all screwed.

Before building a new stadium in downtown Buffalo, new roads, new bridges (oh no) and new ramps must be built first.

Road construction crews in NYS don't work at night like the rest of the country. They only work in the middle of the business daytime, and that is why it takes so freaking long to get things done. Milk the contract, screw the taxpayers, and to hell with the small businesses that pay their salaries.

Mace
05-08-2015, 08:42 PM

Oooh, so you met Ralph Wilson and Jauron when they were only 1000 or so ?

BillsImpossible
05-08-2015, 08:46 PM
Oooh, so you met Ralph Wilson and Jauron when they were only 1000 or so ?

I was only 1454 years old at the time. Loved that conversation on WGR today. Good stuff, had me laughing all the way home.

feldspar
05-08-2015, 08:50 PM

The Bills have a long shelf life in Buffalo?

If the Pegulas can't build a new stadium within the next 10 years, we're all screwed.

Before building a new stadium in downtown Buffalo, new roads, new bridges (oh no) and new ramps must be built first.

Road construction crews in NYS don't work at night like the rest of the country. They only work in the middle of the business daytime, and that is why it takes so freaking long to get things done. Milk the contract, screw the taxpayers, and to hell with the small businesses that pay their salaries.

You act like Buffalo's problems are something new...why I asked your age. Not that I read all you wrote. I'm sure Pegula came into this with his historical eyes wide open, with a pulse on the future. I'm also sure that he's a lot more savvy than you or I. I'm also convinced that it was his intention all along to keep the Bills in Buffalo and he has more than enough resources to comfortably do that.

That's it. If you want to cry into your sleeves in dark corners, then have at it. I won't stop you...I may point and laugh, but I won't stop you. You are worried over nothing. May as we'll worry about your own death, because that's coming up for sure. No doubt about that one, as much as I hate to remind you.

BillsImpossible
05-08-2015, 08:52 PM
You act like Buffalo's problems are something new...why I asked your age. Not that I read all you wrote. I'm sure Pegula came into this with his historical eyes wide open, with a pulse on the future. I'm also sue that he's a lot more savvy than you or I. I'm also convinced that it was his intention all along to keep the Bills in Buffalo and he has more than enough resources to comfortably do that.

That's it. If you want to cry into your sleeves in dark corners, then have at it. I won't stop you...I may point and laugh, but I won't stop you. You are worried over nothing. May as we'll worry about your own death, because that's coming up for sure. No doubt about that one, as much as I hate to remind you.

I did eat 3 hotdogs this evening, so you might be right.

BillsImpossible
05-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Ban this clown

Sure, Muhammad.

coastal
05-08-2015, 09:30 PM
Here's an idea for a thread...

Mrs. Pegula was porking Ted Nolan so Pegs fired Nolan and now Rex is banging her and he's next.

BillsImpossible
05-08-2015, 09:39 PM
Here's an idea for a thread...

Mrs. Pegula was porking Ted Nolan so Pegs fired Nolan and now Rex is banging her and he's next.

The End.

DetDannyWilliams
05-08-2015, 10:01 PM
Sonic Drive-In is coming to Cheektowaga, it will be were the old Perkins restaurant is now it's supposed to be the largest Sonic Drive-in ever

The plan is for the restaurant to be located at the former Perkins Restaurant on Union Road. The space has sat vacant for four years.

Kevin DiPirro, the businessman behind the proposed Sonic, says the new restaurant would be 4,000 square feet, which would make it the largest location for the franchise

Sonic announced plans to expand to Western New York (http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/local/buffalo/2014/01/06/sonic-expanding-buffalo-niagara/4341815/) last year, with a target date opening of Spring 2015. The proposed Cheektowaga location would be the company's first in the region. Currently, the closest Sonic restaurant for most Western New Yorkers is in Irondequoit.

http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/local/cheektowaga/2015/03/05/sonic-cheektowaga-western-new-york-restaurant-drive-thru/24451629/

DynaPaul
05-09-2015, 05:54 AM
Hilary Clinton said she was bringing in 150k jobs to Buffalo when she ran for the Senate. Where are they?

notacon
05-09-2015, 09:39 AM
I have certainly been one to criticize WNY and Buffalo in particular. But, this assessment that started this thread is silly.

I wonder if the thread starter (or anyone else) has ever been near the Myrtle Beach, SC area. I have. Many times to golf.

It's a virtual trailer trash pit. No sidewalks. Dirty streets. Bad schools. A really disgusting place. The gold courses are nice, but little else.

Someone who wants to move to South Carolina because of property taxes??? They can have it. Moving for that reason is relatively dumb...they'll fit in with the local there perfectly.

Besides the ridiculous premise that property taxes is going to produce doom and gloom over the area, the even more ridiculous premise is that the chances of the Bills moving because of this.

Wow. How many ridiculous threads do we have to put up with from Billsimpossbile?

notacon
05-09-2015, 09:44 AM
Hilary Clinton said she was bringing in 150k jobs to Buffalo when she ran for the Senate. Where are they?

No, she never said that.

DetDannyWilliams
05-09-2015, 10:09 AM

Hillary was the one that started this...when she was in the New York State senate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTMAHx0yMqo

better days
05-09-2015, 10:12 AM
Sonic Drive-In is coming to Cheektowaga, it will be were the old Perkins restaurant is now it's supposed to be the largest Sonic Drive-in ever

http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/local/cheektowaga/2015/03/05/sonic-cheektowaga-western-new-york-restaurant-drive-thru/24451629/

I don't know if you have ever been to a Sonic. We had one in Venice but it closed a few years ago.

Probably because the food SUCKED.

Gilly
05-09-2015, 10:18 AM
I have certainly been one to criticize WNY and Buffalo in particular. But, this assessment that started this thread is silly.

I wonder if the thread starter (or anyone else) has ever been near the Myrtle Beach, SC area. I have. Many times to golf.

It's a virtual trailer trash pit. No sidewalks. Dirty streets. Bad schools. A really disgusting place. The gold courses are nice, but little else.

Someone who wants to move to South Carolina because of property taxes??? They can have it. Moving for that reason is relatively dumb...they'll fit in with the local there perfectly.

Besides the ridiculous premise that property taxes is going to produce doom and gloom over the area, the even more ridiculous premise is that the chances of the Bills moving because of this.

Wow. How many ridiculous threads do we have to put up with from Billsimpossbile?

It adds up. My brother had $150,000 house in Lockport and his property taxes were about $4800/year. Taxes on my $180,000 in Tucson are about $1100. Add to that gas is 60 cent a gallon cheaper. (taxes) Net result is my bills are $350-400/ month cheaper to start than back in WNY. THATS PER HOUSE!! Drive down your street and do the math, $400 per house per month, cash simply getting sucked out of the economy and sent as taxes to Albany. How is that signature new Peace Bridge making out??

Keep electing those dems to run things. Its funny looking back at things from out west here and I'm sure WNY thanks you all..

BertSquirtgum
05-09-2015, 10:47 AM
I guarantee you his property taxes weren't 4800. My cousin has a 250000 home in the town of Lockport and his property and school taxes combined are 3600.

notacon
05-09-2015, 10:51 AM
It adds up. My brother had $150,000 house in Lockport and his property taxes were about $4800/year. Taxes on my $180,000 in Tucson are about $1100. Add to that gas is 60 cent a gallon cheaper. (taxes) Net result is my bills are $350-400/ month cheaper to start than back in WNY. THATS PER HOUSE!! Drive down your street and do the math, $400 per house per month, cash simply getting sucked out of the economy and sent as taxes to Albany. How is that signature new Peace Bridge making out??

Keep electing those dems to run things. Its funny looking back at things from out west here and I'm sure WNY thanks you all..

:rofl: Why is it that al the real money in this country is in the Blue states?? The Red states are the poorest.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

notacon
05-09-2015, 10:58 AM
List of U.S. States by Income (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_income)

<tbody>
Rank
State

Maryland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland)
$70,004
$69,272
$70,545
$87,080
$72,372

Alaska (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska)
$69,825
$68,342
$70,378
$84,035
$70,169

New Jersey (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey)
$67,458
$67,034
$71,595
$90,967
$81,972

Connecticut (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut)
$65,753
$66,953
$68,460
$81,333
$67,639

District of Columbia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia)
$65,124
$63,098
$57,214
$52,746
$50,681

Massachusetts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts)
$64,859
$62,081
$61,401
$59,365
$56,236

New Hampshire (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire)
$64,712
$63,557
$62,731
$61,369
$60,489

Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia)
$62,881
$61,330
$58,233
$59,562
$55,108

Hawaii (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii)
$62,814
$59,290
$57,936
$97,317
$47,221 (2005)[8] (http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/acs-02.pdf) PDF

Minnesota (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota)
$61,814
$58,931
$57,021
$59,948
$53,770

California (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California)
$60,287
$69,860
$79,989
$95,470
$90,214

Delaware (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware)
$57,954
$58,548
$60,078
$85,591
$73,439

Washington (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_(U.S._state))
$57,835
$54,616
$52,288
$50,082
$50,011

Wyoming (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming)
$56,322
$55,430
$56,993
$55,212
$54,039

Utah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah)
$55,869
$55,117
$56,633
$55,109
$55,179

Colorado (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado)
$55,387
$54,659
$56,033
$53,514
$48,201

New York (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York)
$55,246
$54,119
$55,701
$93,568
$52,003

Rhode Island (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_Island)
$53,636
$53,966
$56,235
$54,124
$49,280

Illinois (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois)
$53,234
$53,341
$56,361
$55,062
$50,819

Vermont (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont)
$52,776
$52,664
$53,207
$51,731
$47,227

North Dakota (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota)
$51,704
$51,618
$52,104
$49,907
$51,622

United States (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States)
$50,502
$50,221
$52,029
$50,740
$46,242 (2005) [9] (http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/acs-02.pdf) PDF

Wisconsin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin)
$50,395
$49,993
$52,094
$50,578
$48,874

Nebraska (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska)
$50,296
$49,520
$50,713
$48,576
$47,791

Pennsylvania (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania)
$50,228
$48,745
$50,958
$49,889
$46,729

Iowa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa)
$49,427
$48,457
$50,169
$48,730
$45,485

Texas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas)
$49,392
$48,259
$50,043
$47,548
$43,425

Kansas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas)
$48,964
$48,044
$48,980
$47,292
$47,489

Nevada (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada)
$48,927
$47,827
$45,685
$43,753
$43,753

South Dakota (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota)
$48,321
$47,817
$50,177
$47,451
$44,264

Oregon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon)
$46,816
$47,590
$50,861
$49,136
$46,841

Arizona (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona)
$46,709
$47,357
$49,693
$47,085
$48,126

Indiana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana)
$46,438
$45,734
$46,581
$45,888
$45,040

Maine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine)
$46,033
$45,424
$47,966
$47,448
$44,806

Georgia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(U.S._state))
$46,007
$45,395
$47,988
$46,597
$45,837

Michigan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan)
$45,981
$45,255
$48,591
$47,950
$47,064

Ohio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio)
$45,749
$45,229
$46,867
$45,114
$44,651

Missouri (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri)
$45,247
$45,043
$46,032
$43,424
$44,624

Florida (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida)
$44,299
$44,926
$47,576
$46,253
$46,395

Montana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana)
$44,222
$44,736
$47,778
$47,804
$44,448

North Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina)
$43,916
$43,674
$46,549
$44,670
$42,061

Idaho (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho)
$43,341
$43,028
$43,508
$41,452
$40,827

Oklahoma (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma)
$43,225
$42,492
$43,733
$40,926
$37,943

South Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Carolina)
$42,367
$42,442
$44,625
$43,329
$40,822

New Mexico (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico)
$41,963
$42,322
$43,654
$43,531
$38,629

Louisiana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana)
$41,734
$41,725
$43,614
$42,367
$40,676

Tennessee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee)
$41,693
$41,664
$42,822
$41,567
$40,001

Alabama (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama)
$41,415
$40,489
$42,666
$40,554
$38,473

Kentucky (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky)
$41,141
$40,072
$41,538
$40,267
$38,466

Arkansas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas)
$38,758
$37,823
$38,815
$38,134
$37,420

West Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia)
$38,482
$37,435
$37,989
$37,060
$37,227

Mississippi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi)
$36,919
$36,646
$37,790
$36,338
$35,261

</tbody>

Hmmmmmm....8 of the top ten states by income are solid Blue states....the only exceptions are Alaska (hello oil revenue and low population) and Virginia, where the high income is concentrated in the northern suburbs near DC (which are solid blue) and the rest of the state is poorer (which are solid red).

All ten of the poorest states are Solid Red states...with the slight possibility of New Mexico being purplish.

Like I said....gilly has no idea what he's taking about.

DetDannyWilliams
05-09-2015, 11:03 AM
you know the Harbor redevelopment project and Harbor Center isn't the only construction going on in Buffalo, you also have the medical corridor which you have Gates Vascular Institute, Roswell Park and which will soon be home to a new Children's Hospital which will be bigger than the one that is on High St. Delaware North is re-renovating on Delaware Ave. which is rumored that they will move from their Amherst, NY location to the new building. Also the toy museum in East Aurora which is run by Fisher Price will be moving to the waterfront which will be located at the Aud site.

gr8slayer
05-09-2015, 12:16 PM
Until there's a new stadium, with a 30+ year lease, I'll always be worried about the Bills leaving.

DetDannyWilliams
05-09-2015, 12:27 PM
BUFFALO, NY - While Buffalo is still one of the most affordable places to live in the country, it may not be as affordable as it was a year ago, according to Forbes magazine.
Forbes has ranked Buffalo as No. 3 on the list of most affordable cities in the country (http://www.forbes.com/sites/erincarlyle/2015/03/12/americas-most-affordable-cities-in-2015/), after the magazine ranked the area No. 1 last year.

http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/local/buffalo/2015/04/29/buffalo-no-longer-most-affordable-place-to-live/26606419/

YardRat
05-09-2015, 12:34 PM
I guarantee you his property taxes weren't 4800. My cousin has a 250000 home in the town of Lockport and his property and school taxes combined are 3600.

There are a lot of factors that go into determining overall property taxes. It certainly is possible.

BertSquirtgum
05-09-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm worried that BillsImpossible is not in a straight jacket inside of an asylum.

BertSquirtgum
05-09-2015, 12:39 PM
There are a lot of factors that go into determining overall property taxes. It certainly is possible.

Unless his brother had his own business or farm with 5 extra barns/buildings....there's no way his taxes would be that high.

ticatfan
05-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Who's kidding?

The Pegulas are multi-billionaires that have more money than they could possibly ever spend. Money was never a consideration when they bought the team. They wouldn't screw Buffalo to make a profit.

I'm not worried about the Pegulas moving this team, not even a little bit...even if your buddy did move to the Carolinas, or wherever the ****.Why do you think they are rich. It is all about money.

- - - Updated - - -

I live in a shack and pay 2300.

SpikedLemonade
05-09-2015, 12:46 PM
What time of the year do the Buffalo Bison crowds heat up?

I have been to two weekend games in the past 3 weeks and the crowds were dead.

It is a great experience -- $14 max for a ticket, craft beer, natural grass, parking within 2 blocks for $5, good food, great ballpark, a celery mascot in the race, etc.

Plenty of players who have or will play for the Blue Jays at some point this season.

I'm not sure what more one would want. I will be going for a couple more in the next month or so. I'm going to the Blue Jays game tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to a concrete stadium, artificial surface, logistic hassles, etc.

Maybe it gets busier for the Bisons once the kids are out of school.

I hope it is not because Buffalo thinks they are too good for the minor leagues. I can see Toronto feeling that way, but Buffalo shouldn't.

feldspar
05-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Why do you think they are rich. It is all about money.

This is different. You don't pay $1.4 billion for the Bills to turn around and sell them for a profit. If Pegula wanted more money, there would be way, way better ways for him to do that.

But he wanted the Buffalo Bills...again, the BUFFALO Bills. Did you not notice that the man has a passion for the area? Don't be stupid.

BertSquirtgum
05-09-2015, 01:12 PM
What time of the year do the Buffalo Bison crowds heat up?

I have been to two weekend games in the past 3 weeks and the crowds were dead.

It is a great experience -- $14 max for a ticket, craft beer, natural grass, parking within 2 blocks for $5, good food, great ballpark, a celery mascot in the race, etc.

Plenty of players who have or will play for the Blue Jays at some point this season.

I'm not sure what more one would want. I will be going for a couple more in the next month or so. I'm going to the Blue Jays game tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to a concrete stadium, artificial surface, logistic hassles, etc.

Maybe it gets busier for the Bisons once the kids are out of school.

I hope it is not because Buffalo thinks they are too good for the minor leagues. I can see Toronto feeling that way, but Buffalo shouldn't.

Why would I want to watch farm players for a team I hate?

more cowbell
05-09-2015, 01:31 PM
So because a handful of mom and pop stores/restaurants are closing...The Bills are going to move?

Have you ever been to any city ever in the past 10 years? Buffalo, NY isn't the only place this is happening

Have you been downtown and seen the cranes building skyscrapers and restoring buildings into modern-day apartments and lofts?

This is without question one of the most uninformed, end of days posts I've ever seen.

Do us all a favor and go back into your bunker.

BillsImpossible
05-09-2015, 06:11 PM
So because a handful of mom and pop stores/restaurants are closing...The Bills are going to move?

Have you ever been to any city ever in the past 10 years? Buffalo, NY isn't the only place this is happening

Have you been downtown and seen the cranes building skyscrapers and restoring buildings into modern-day apartments and lofts?

This is without question one of the most uninformed, end of days posts I've ever seen.

Do us all a favor and go back into your bunker.

This coming from a guy that lives in, 'San Diego...formerly WNY.'

Now that's rich!

When's the last time you've been back home, more cowbell?

Skyscrapers? What skyscrapers?

What used to be named the HSBC Tower - the tallest structure in Buffalo now sits vacant. I used to work on the top floor for Harold C. Brown & Co. They went out of business too, one of the oldest and best known investment companies that has ever existed in Buffalo.

Those mom and pop shops you speak of are the backbone of the American economy. Small businesses in America employ more people than corporate and government jobs combined.

http://www.businessinsider.com/facts-about-small-businesses-in-america-2011-8?op=1

There are 28 million small businesses in the U.S. -- which outnumber corporations 1162 to 1.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonnazar/2013/09/09/16-surprising-statistics-about-small-businesses/

Over 50% of the working population (120 million individuals) works in a small business

If the Pegulas choose to build a stadium in downtown Buffalo, major road construction is imminent.

How are small businesses affected when roads are closed for road construction?

http://www.smallbusinessesroadclosures.blogspot.com/

Our neighbors to the north are experiencing similar road construction nightmares. 200 businesses in St. Clair West have sued the City of Toronto, the province, and the Toronto Transit Commission in a class-action lawsuit seeking $100 million dollars for a 5 year delay in the St. Clair streetcar project.

http://www.wwaytv3.com/2011/07/12/shallotte-store-owner-upset-dot-for-construction-ruining-business/

SHALLOTTE, NC (WWAY) — A Shallotte business owner is furious with the DOT after she says construction around her store from the Smith Street Extension Program has killed her customer turnout.

http://www.wwaytv3.com/wp-content/uploads/shallottestore300.jpg

BillsImpossible
05-09-2015, 06:28 PM

Great, more minimum wage jobs. Sonic. $9 an hour at best. That is so not right.

When I was a teenager I made $10 an hour to make pizzas. That was in 1997, about 18 years ago.

Sorry, DetDannyWilliams, but the Sonic's of the world aren't going to cut the die.

Mace
05-09-2015, 06:42 PM
This coming from a guy that lives in, 'San Diego...formerly WNY.'

What used to be named the HSBC Tower - the tallest structure in Buffalo now sits vacant. I used to work on the top floor for Harold C. Brown & Co. They went out of business too, one of the oldest and best known investment companies that has ever existed in Buffalo.

Those mom and pop shops you speak of are the backbone of the American economy. Small businesses in America employ more people than corporate and government jobs combined.

I worked below ground at HSBC for 20 years, saw Downtown die, evolve, and begin to live again. The city is honestly just evolving. My Grant-Ferry area has also died and is beginning to live again. The local areas are thriving, There's small business booming all around me deep in the city...I don't see anything closing. It's becoming even more small business oriented and you see multi ethnic crowds strolling the bookstores, clothing shops, food places more than I ever saw it in my life. Downtown is reinvigorated, harbor center, the canals and the water are genuinely drawing people, Elmwood, Allentown and the Chippewa area bars are thriving, the East Side business areas are rebuilding and safer after the drug wars. Friend of mine in West Seneca/South Buffalo says it's thriving. You might just be seeing the suburbs evolving again, I figure it moves in waves outward, people come to like large gathering places like Galleria, then come to appreciate smaller ones again, the small will evolve again to large, but the neighborhoods are thriving.

BillsImpossible
05-09-2015, 06:42 PM
List of U.S. States by Income (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_income)

<tbody>
Rank
State

Maryland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland)
$70,004
$69,272
$70,545
$87,080
$72,372

Alaska (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska)
$69,825
$68,342
$70,378
$84,035
$70,169

New Jersey (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey)
$67,458
$67,034
$71,595
$90,967
$81,972

Connecticut (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut)
$65,753
$66,953
$68,460
$81,333
$67,639

District of Columbia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia)
$65,124
$63,098
$57,214
$52,746
$50,681

Massachusetts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts)
$64,859
$62,081
$61,401
$59,365
$56,236

New Hampshire (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire)
$64,712
$63,557
$62,731
$61,369
$60,489

Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia)
$62,881
$61,330
$58,233
$59,562
$55,108

Hawaii (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii)
$62,814
$59,290
$57,936
$97,317
$47,221 (2005)[8] (http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/acs-02.pdf) PDF

Minnesota (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota)
$61,814
$58,931
$57,021
$59,948
$53,770

California (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California)
$60,287
$69,860
$79,989
$95,470
$90,214

Delaware (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware)
$57,954
$58,548
$60,078
$85,591
$73,439

Washington (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_(U.S._state))
$57,835
$54,616
$52,288
$50,082
$50,011

Wyoming (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming)
$56,322
$55,430
$56,993
$55,212
$54,039

Utah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah)
$55,869
$55,117
$56,633
$55,109
$55,179

Colorado (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado)
$55,387
$54,659
$56,033
$53,514
$48,201

New York (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York)
$55,246
$54,119
$55,701
$93,568
$52,003

Rhode Island (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_Island)
$53,636
$53,966
$56,235
$54,124
$49,280

Illinois (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois)
$53,234
$53,341
$56,361
$55,062
$50,819

Vermont (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont)
$52,776
$52,664
$53,207
$51,731
$47,227

North Dakota (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota)
$51,704
$51,618
$52,104
$49,907
$51,622

United States (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States)
$50,502
$50,221
$52,029
$50,740
$46,242 (2005) [9] (http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/acs-02.pdf) PDF

Wisconsin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin)
$50,395
$49,993
$52,094
$50,578
$48,874

Nebraska (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska)
$50,296
$49,520
$50,713
$48,576
$47,791

Pennsylvania (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania)
$50,228
$48,745
$50,958
$49,889
$46,729

Iowa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa)
$49,427
$48,457
$50,169
$48,730
$45,485

Texas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas)
$49,392
$48,259
$50,043
$47,548
$43,425

Kansas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas)
$48,964
$48,044
$48,980
$47,292
$47,489

Nevada (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada)
$48,927
$47,827
$45,685
$43,753
$43,753

South Dakota (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota)
$48,321
$47,817
$50,177
$47,451
$44,264

Oregon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon)
$46,816
$47,590
$50,861
$49,136
$46,841

Arizona (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona)
$46,709
$47,357
$49,693
$47,085
$48,126

Indiana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana)
$46,438
$45,734
$46,581
$45,888
$45,040

Maine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine)
$46,033
$45,424
$47,966
$47,448
$44,806

Georgia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(U.S._state))
$46,007
$45,395
$47,988
$46,597
$45,837

Michigan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan)
$45,981
$45,255
$48,591
$47,950
$47,064

Ohio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio)
$45,749
$45,229
$46,867
$45,114
$44,651

Missouri (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri)
$45,247
$45,043
$46,032
$43,424
$44,624

Florida (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida)
$44,299
$44,926
$47,576
$46,253
$46,395

Montana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana)
$44,222
$44,736
$47,778
$47,804
$44,448

North Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina)
$43,916
$43,674
$46,549
$44,670
$42,061

Idaho (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho)
$43,341
$43,028
$43,508
$41,452
$40,827

Oklahoma (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma)
$43,225
$42,492
$43,733
$40,926
$37,943

South Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Carolina)
$42,367
$42,442
$44,625
$43,329
$40,822

New Mexico (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico)
$41,963
$42,322
$43,654
$43,531
$38,629

Louisiana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana)
$41,734
$41,725
$43,614
$42,367
$40,676

Tennessee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee)
$41,693
$41,664
$42,822
$41,567
$40,001

Alabama (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama)
$41,415
$40,489
$42,666
$40,554
$38,473

Kentucky (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky)
$41,141
$40,072
$41,538
$40,267
$38,466

Arkansas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas)
$38,758
$37,823
$38,815
$38,134
$37,420

West Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia)
$38,482
$37,435
$37,989
$37,060
$37,227

Mississippi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi)
$36,919
$36,646
$37,790
$36,338
$35,261

</tbody>

Hmmmmmm....8 of the top ten states by income are solid Blue states....the only exceptions are Alaska (hello oil revenue and low population) and Virginia, where the high income is concentrated in the northern suburbs near DC (which are solid blue) and the rest of the state is poorer (which are solid red).

All ten of the poorest states are Solid Red states...with the slight possibility of New Mexico being purplish.

Like I said....gilly has no idea what he's taking about.

The top 7 States are Maryland, Alaska, New Jersey, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Taxxachusetts, New Hampshire, and Virginia.

Notice how the District of Columbia is sandwiched between all of them. So what does that mean?

Government jobs. They pay the most these days, unfortunately. Who pays their salaries?

The small businesses men and woman of America that work 60 hours or more a week with zero paid vacation time, no paid sick days, and no pensions.

BillsImpossible
05-09-2015, 06:50 PM
I worked below ground at HSBC for 20 years, saw Downtown die, evolve, and begin to live again. The city is honestly just evolving. My Grant-Ferry area has also died and is beginning to live again. The local areas are thriving, There's small business booming all around me deep in the city...I don't see anything closing. It's becoming even more small business oriented and you see multi ethnic crowds strolling the bookstores, clothing shops, food places more than I ever saw it in my life. Downtown is reinvigorated, harbor center, the canals and the water are genuinely drawing people, Elmwood, Allentown and the Chippewa area bars are thriving, the East Side business areas are rebuilding and safer after the drug wars. Friend of mine in West Seneca/South Buffalo says it's thriving. You might just be seeing the suburbs evolving again, I figure it moves in waves outward, people come to like large gathering places like Galleria, then come to appreciate smaller ones again, the small will evolve again to large, but the neighborhoods are thriving.

I feel a little better after reading that. Good to hear. Now what happens to a thriving downtown core once the Road Closed signs go up to build a new stadium downtown?

BillsImpossible
05-09-2015, 07:02 PM
Why would I want to watch farm players for a team I hate?

Hate sucks.

Dude, you need to smoke a joint and listen to some Al Green.

SpikedLemonade
05-09-2015, 07:09 PM
Hate sucks.

I doubt that will pop out his permanent butt plug butt it is worth a try.

DetDannyWilliams
05-09-2015, 07:22 PM
I feel a little better after reading that. Good to hear. Now what happens to a thriving downtown core once the Road Closed signs go up to build a new stadium downtown?

Washington St. has been closed since the Harbor Center went up. there is other ways to get out of the city. IT'S NO PROBLEM!

BertSquirtgum
05-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Hate sucks.

Its called a job with random drug testing. So I will not smoke a joint hippie. I'll blow twenty lines of cocaine.

YardRat
05-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Unless his brother had his own business or farm with 5 extra barns/buildings....there's no way his taxes would be that high.

I'm assuming that the two live in different locations, more specifically different school districts. There can be a pretty significant difference on the tax bills, depending on the overall tax base, size of the school and it's budget, equalization rates, last reval, etc. My property is worth about $175k and my total property taxes are around $3400, including STAR.

BertSquirtgum
05-09-2015, 07:42 PM
Are you including your school tax in that price?

Mace
05-09-2015, 07:57 PM

Honestly, people will have to drive through thriving neighborhoods, they didn't know were thriving because they've easily been skipping them every day, probably find new places that catch their interest, and spread more money to small business.

Don't get too worked up, ever about NY State stats, they are driven and weighted by NY City. The world is full of lower income commerce which adds to bustling cities. If you notice on your list, Alaska is 2nd and they are not pumping out pro teams and championships. Corps have to pay more to get enough people to go there, to pay more for less a standard of living in modern comfort terms. Alaska is some 47th in population, people go there to make money not spend it, then leave.

And I don't have anything whatever against Alaska, it's gorgeous and friendly and given the chance I'd be there in a blink, but it's not a viable place for the NFL, despite the numbers, you have to admit. Never even comes up, there's a reason why.

more cowbell
05-09-2015, 10:23 PM
I moved BACK to Buffalo from San Diego sir.

I'm sorry that the sky seems to be falling around you because a Sears hardware store on Sheridan went out of business.

Mom and pop stores aren't the backbone of the American economy anymore. This isn't 1985. Unfortunately, mostly all retail is e-tail...and restaurants are chains. This is the case in EVERY city. There are the great local joints that will always be in business...the rest...no.

As for your point on the population increase being mostly foreign...I don't doubt that's true...however...there are far more college graduates and young professionals staying/moving to Buffalo now than there was 5 years ago.

The skyscrapers and cranes I'm referring to are the projects of avant hotel downtown....the new project (no idea what it's called) on the corner of chip and Delaware which is intended for luxury residential use. Canalside, the brand new UB downtown campus, Harbor Center, and once again...the restoration of old buildings into new condos and lofts downtown.

The current trend in Buffalo is that people are actually moving into the city and out of the suburbs. This is an explanation why some of these small restaurants and hardware stores are going out of business...because there are bigger, better, newer, modern places to spend money.

Rome wasn't built overnight. Sit back, take a deep breath, and be proud of the city in which you live. No place is perfect; and Buffalo is headed in the right direction.

And if you do want to move down south. Go for it. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Go Bills.

YardRat
05-10-2015, 05:34 AM
Are you including your school tax in that price?

School taxes are a property tax (for most, the largest portion by a wide margin), so of course. If the figures you cited don't include school taxes, that's even worse.

swiper
05-10-2015, 05:48 AM
School taxes are not property taxes. The taxes you pay in NY State are roughly 2/3 school and 1/3 property depending on where you live, etc.

better days
05-10-2015, 09:35 AM
I just saw on the WKBW app a proposal to build elevated enclosed gondolas to connect the inner & outer harbor.

Similar to what ski resorts use, so it can be used year round.

The artists drawings look pretty cool, I hope this becomes a reality.

Gilly
05-11-2015, 08:36 AM
I'm assuming that the two live in different locations, more specifically different school districts. There can be a pretty significant difference on the tax bills, depending on the overall tax base, size of the school and it's budget, equalization rates, last reval, etc. My property is worth about $175k and my total property taxes are around $3400, including STAR.

Nottie lives is a dreamworld where the l o o n s do no wrong. Just agree with him that NYS taxes are too low as they stand now.. That's why so many people cannot wait to move TO New York. Nottie, is thing are so peachy how long before NY picks up an additional house seat?

My numbers are accurate, its been a family discussion for over a year now. Brother is now looking for a job out here. Food sucks but weather is great..
The extra $300-$400 a month in my pocket doesn't suck either...

PS how come the word "l o o n s" autochanges to democrats? truth hurts too much?
:rofl: l oons...

Gilly
05-11-2015, 08:50 AM
<thead>
YEAR

PROPERTY TAXES

CHANGE

TAX ASSESSMENT

CHANGE

</thead><tbody>
Less (http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6336-Heritage-Pt-N-Lockport-NY-14094/31471061_zpid/)

$5,101

+77.8%

$159,500

--

$2,870

-43.6%

$159,500

--

$5,090

+2.8%

$159,500

--

$4,951

+4.3%

$159,500

+5.6%

$4,748

+0.2%

$151,000

--

$4,737

+1.5%

$151,000

--

$4,668

+3.5%

$151,000

+4.9%

$4,510

+108%

$144,000

--

$2,172

-51.1%

$144,000

+6.7%

$4,438

--

$135,000

--

$4,438

--

$135,000

--

</tbody>

6336 Heritage Pt N, Lockport, NY 14094, House on brothers road currently for sale.

WagonCircler
05-11-2015, 12:15 PM
This is pretty cool. A side-by-side documentation of growth in Buffalo, via Google Street View:

http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/05112015/buffalo-transforms-through-google-street-view

YardRat
05-11-2015, 02:42 PM
School taxes are not property taxes. The taxes you pay in NY State are roughly 2/3 school and 1/3 property depending on where you live, etc.

I'd be interested to know why you don't consider school taxes to be property taxes.

Only property owners pay them.
They are based on the value of the property relative to the local tax rate.
They are subject to property assessment, revals, PILOTS, equalization rates, etc.
Any unpaid school taxes get turned over to the county, and under severe delinquency the county assumes ownership of the property.
The card that gets mailed out annually to all residents of a district that own property and are subject to school taxes is titled 'Property Tax Report Card'.
They are subject to the statewide 2% property tax cap.
The definition of property tax per the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance is "In New York State, the property tax is a local tax, raised and spent locally to finance local governments and public schools."

They aren't an income tax. They aren't a sales tax. They aren't a use tax. They are a property tax.

DetDannyWilliams
05-13-2015, 03:09 PM
legendary Ted's Hot dogs to open up on waterfront, moving from Coca-Cola field

mead107
05-15-2015, 07:02 PM
Pegula's own a lot of property in other parts of Ny. Do not think they are worried about property taxes

BertSquirtgum
05-15-2015, 10:42 PM
This is pretty cool. A side-by-side documentation of growth in Buffalo, via Google Street View:

http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/05112015/buffalo-transforms-through-google-street-view

EAD spike.

DetDannyWilliams
05-16-2015, 09:26 AM
The Bootery is closing at Blvd mall.

The store, which has been in the mall since it opened in the 1960's, is closing at the end of the month.
Most families remember the fire engine at the mall for kids to climb on. http://www.wgrz.com/story/money/business/2015/05/14/bootery-in-boulevard-mall-closing/27307185/

better days
05-16-2015, 09:31 AM
The Bootery is closing at Blvd mall.

The store, which has been in the mall since it opened in the 1960's, is closing at the end of the month.
Most families remember the fire engine at the mall for kids to climb on. http://www.wgrz.com/story/money/business/2015/05/14/bootery-in-boulevard-mall-closing/27307185/

Stores & restaurants come & go.

Happens all the time here in Fla as well.

The sports bar near my house has changed hands about 10 times since we moved into this house.

DetDannyWilliams
05-16-2015, 09:33 AM
North town Plaza in Amherst
http://on.wgrz.com/1HmbaXA

WagonCircler
05-16-2015, 11:10 AM
North town Plaza in Amherst
http://on.wgrz.com/1HmbaXA

This is a good sign for economic growth speculation. Whole Foods is a proven winner and they do their research.

That being said, I'm not sure they understand the well deserved loyalty that Wegmans has in this area. I think opening 1/2 a mile from Wegmans, in an area where there's already a Trader Joe's (the Trader Joe's love is baffling to me) will limit their potential in a big way.

But it will be good for the run down Northtown Plaza. There's plenty of available retail space nearby for the smaller local merchants to relocate to on Sheridan Drive, but I hate what it may do to the traffic in the area.

DetDannyWilliams
05-16-2015, 11:40 AM
This is a good sign for economic growth speculation. Whole Foods is a proven winner and they do their research.

That being said, I'm not sure they understand the well deserved loyalty that Wegmans has in this area. I think opening 1/2 a mile from Wegmans, in an area where there's already a Trader Joe's (the Trader Joe's love is baffling to me) will limit their potential in a big way.

But it will be good for the run down Northtown Plaza. There's plenty of available retail space nearby for the smaller local merchants to relocate to on Sheridan Drive, but I hate what it may do to the traffic in the area.

yeah, Buffalo Medical Group where I get my alergy Shots are on Essjay Rd. which is off of Sheridian Dr. and there is a Wegman's right in front of it

swiper
05-16-2015, 11:56 AM
a Trader Joe's (the Trader Joe's love is baffling to me)

http://www.glutenfreetraderjoes.com/2011/05/almost-guilt-free-dessert-mango-cream-bars/

Best things ever.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-16-2015, 03:38 PM
I;m kind of worried about the OP leaving his house. I mean really if he works somewhere, then they will have to hire many many people to undo his mistakes. I would not want to be on the road driving near him because traffic laws are bound to confuse him. Really, for his sake and ours he should log off, turn off that lamp, and pull the blanket over his head . . . no, stop that, why are you putting your blanket into that socket . . . good . . . no . . . no stop wrapping your blanket around your neck . . . okay, yeesh this is going to take a while. Seriously though, I think the Bills are fine for at least the next 25 years.

WagonCircler
05-16-2015, 06:22 PM
I;m kind of worried about the OP leaving his house. I mean really if he works somewhere, then they will have to hire many many people to undo his mistakes. I would not want to be on the road driving near him because traffic laws are bound to confuse him. Really, for his sake and ours he should log off, turn off that lamp, and pull the blanket over his head . . . no, stop that, why are you putting your blanket into that socket . . . good . . . no . . . no stop wrapping your blanket around your neck . . . okay, yeesh this is going to take a while. Seriously though, I think the Bills are fine for at least the next 25 years.

As a lifelong Yankee fan (who even named his son after Mickey Mantle) I'm very concerned that the Bombers will move out of NYC.

I just read an article that FAO Scwartz, the toy store featured in the movie BIG, is closing after 147 years.

Obviously, New York is doomed.

BillsImpossible
05-16-2015, 06:23 PM

Have you ever employed somebody in the state of New York? Are you a small business owner? Have you ever created a single job in the WNY economy?

It's so easy to do the talking when you've never done the walking.

To hire 1 single part time employee costs about $1,000 for his or her worker's compensation insurance alone in NY. That's before they've worked a single hour.

After 3 months of part time (20 hours a week) work, the State and Federal taxes for 1 employee costs about $1,200 at $12 an hour.

That's a grand total of about $5,800 in taxes and insurance a year, not counting their hourly wage for 1 employee.

Big and small businesses move out of New York because of this.

Just because the Pegulas are billionaires doesn't mean everything is, "fine."

The underlying problem still exists, and it's rooted in taxes.

Who paid for over 70% of the stadium renovations? We did, the taxpayers. I mentioned it before and nobody gave a flying turd.

When Geico came to WNY they got a $30 million tax break. Who paid for it? We did. Talk about corporate welfare.

The Pegulas got a huge tax break to build the Harbor Center, but it's only temporary. Who paid for it?

They're billionaires for a reason folks. Sorry to spoil the happy go lucky party because everything is not fine.

Take away what the Pegulas have done and what's left? If Terry and Kim did not choose to buy the Sabres and Bills, what would it be like to live in Buffalo?

That's a scary question. Buffalo can not be a great city with the Pegulas alone.

That's the thing people don't get. They're NOT the silver bullet solution. Everything looks so much better on the surface of things, but I think everyone knows deep down that the main problems still exist.

Taxes in WNY are so damn high because the majority of the workforce is employed by taxpayer funded government jobs.

There are more public sector (government) jobs in WNY than there are private (big and small business) sector jobs.

The biggest employer in Erie County is the State of New York. The Federal Government is the second biggest employer. Buffalo City Schools are the third biggest employer, and Erie County itself is the 4th biggest employer.

What does Hugo Chavez, Castro, and Vladimir Putin all have in common?

Everyone has a government job in their country and all of their economies suck. Sound familiar?

The entire basis upon which the WNY economy sits on is at a crossroads.

Dependence, or independence? No change or change?

We need real jobs, not a handful of $10 an hour jobs at a hot dog stand with a gluttony of government jobs raking in $60 K a year with pensions sucking off the taxpaying public.

I made $10 an hour 18 years ago making pizzas for Christ's sake.

Big companies that employ thousands of people with good paying jobs is what Buffalo needs, not Ted's Hot Dogs or Geico's, "$31,000 a year to start," poverty level wage. I made $30 grand as a bartender in 1999, 16 years ago. The only reason why Geico is in WNY is because we're paying for part of their rent.

Terry Pegula likes to frack. Fracking creates a lot of jobs and a lot of money, but the Subaru driving tree hugging commune disagrees.

How ironic is it that the Buffalo Bills would not exist today if it weren't for something that is currently illegal to do in the State of New York?

SpikedLemonade
05-16-2015, 06:31 PM
With respect to that last sentence, the irony has not been lost on me.

Skooby
05-16-2015, 06:49 PM
Get therapy.

BertSquirtgum
05-16-2015, 07:04 PM
#drugsarebadmmmkay

BillsImpossible
05-16-2015, 07:14 PM
#drugsarebadmmmkay

I agree. Thinking that 65 years worth of government ineptitude will magically disappear is a hallucinogen.

swiper
05-17-2015, 04:43 AM
As a lifelong Yankee fan (who even named his son after Mickey Mantle) I'm very concerned that the Bombers will move out of NYC.

I just read an article that FAO Scwartz, the toy store featured in the movie BIG, is closing after 147 years.

Obviously, New York is doomed.

Should make you happy. They're all Democrats.

sudzy
05-17-2015, 06:30 AM
Should make you happy. They're all Democrats.

Maybe we will get our guns back.