X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

I'm Still Worried About The Bills Leaving Buffalo

Everything is roses right now. All is fine and dandy for those who can afford to concentrate on such things.

The Pegulas saved the Bills (and Sabres) and everyone is high on what they have accomplished in downtown Buffalo.

Buffalo is on the rebound, right?

I'm not so sure about that anymore. Reality seems to be crashing down hard lately in all sorts of ways.

Reality really bites. Keep in mind that the Pegulas got a lot of tax breaks to do what they have done. They're not permanent. They are temporary.

What has taken place in downtown Buffalo over the past 3 years has been a 1 couple show, and that's about it.

Take away everything Kim and Terry Pegula have done, and what's left? SolarCity, your latest food truck, and another bar or two, or three or more.

The New Buffalo Shirt Factory in Clarence is closing August 1st. 85 good paying jobs gone.

Got the news yesterday that my neighbor and his family are planning on moving to South Carolina this summer. They're purchasing a 1,400 square foot new build home in a neighborhood just outside of Myrtle Beach.

The main reason they're leaving?

"Property taxes," and better job opportunities for his son who still lives at home but can't find a good paying job even though he's a hard working kid with a good head on his shoulders and has a college degree.

My neighbor is currently paying about $4,500 a year in property taxes for a small ranch in Cheektavegas. I asked him what his property taxes are going to be in South Carolina for his new home.

"$400 a year."

Four hundred freaking dollars! My jaw literally dropped, and so did the hose I was using to water the lawn. It was quite eye opening to hear that.
    In 10 years my neighbor will save over $40,000 in property taxes alone.

Then I got the double whammy news today that a friend of mine is moving to North Carolina. He's 25 years old, just got engaged and is leaving Buffalo in the fall. His fiance doesn't want to buy a house in WNY because she wants to save the money in property taxes for her kid's college tuition.

She sounds like a smart girl. Can you blame her?

Driving home from work this evening I saw a small business on French Road that specialized in auto transmission parts closed. It's the third small business I've seen shut their doors in the last two weeks.

Ruben's NY Deli in Amherst also just went out of business. Meanwhile, the Garden Village Plaza on the corner of Union Rd. and French Rd. in Cheektowaga sits totally empty as it has been for the past 20 years.

Kenmore is losing businesses like crazy. Premiere Liquor moved to Maple Rd. in Amherst, Morgan's closed a few years ago, Demetri's closed, John & Mary's just recently closed, the last Sears Hardware store in the State of New York closed last year, and the once booming Sheridan Plaza is now half vacant.

I went to a deli in the Sheridan Plaza about a week ago and the business owner said he's probably going to close in the next year, sell his home and move his business down south.

"It's not hard to beat Subway, I did it for 9 years," he said. So true.

The owner lost half of his business the day after the Town of Tonawanda shut down the road for construction that has lasted for over 2 years and is still ongoing to this day. "You can build a ****** brand new NFL stadium in 2 years for Christ's sake."

I couldn't agree more, especially after seeing what the owner of Lunettas on Cleveland Drive has had to deal with lately.

Road construction crews are destroying small businesses in WNY. In Canada and most other States in America, road construction is primarily done at night so as not to interfere with daytime business activity.

The towns of Kenmore and Tonawanda, along with New York State could give a rats ass about small businesses, and it shows. If they had any respect for small businesses, they would change their outdated, business interfering road construction ways.

Try building a new stadium in downtown Buffalo during the business daytime. Good luck, Kim and Terry because road construction alone is going to take years and will ultimately kill off any remaining small businesses downtown.

Mowing the lawn this evening on my $5,000 a year in property taxes home, all of these thoughts kept racing through my head and I've finally come to some kind of conclusion.

People are leaving WNY for what are essentially business reasons, duh.

"It's nothing personal, it's just business," someone once said.

It's pretty simple, doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the math. If a homeowner moves from X to Y, they will have an additional $40 Grand in their bank account in 10 short years, guaranteed.

That's a better return on investment than playing the stock market.

After the Pegulas purchased the Bills, I was under the impression that Buffalo was rebounding and the mass exodus was finally over.

Apparently not. Buffalo recently had its first increase in population since the 1960's due to immigration. Most of the immigrants are coming from Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia and a host of other third world countries. I seriously doubt they will be able to afford to purchase tickets to a Bills game, let alone have any interest in American football.

If people keep leaving Buffalo, especially young people with kids, (future fans) and small businesses keep closing left and right, how in the world can the Buffalo Bills remain viable in WNY for the next 30 years?

Given the situation and 10 more years of the same old song of business incompetence in Buffalo, who could ever blame the Pegulas for moving if they eventually decide to do so?

Can you blame your neighbor for moving?
  • BillsOwnAll
    My IQ Test results came back negative
    • Oct 2002

Re: I'm Still Worried About The Bills Leaving Buffalo

I quit reading after the 400$ property taxes in sc. But did you know my 175k house in mass sells for about 50k down in the south. You can't compare anywhere to the Northeast. It's expeineinve but a "bad" paying job would be a "good paying" job down there. I agree there isn't much in buffalo, but there is tradition and fans that sell out the stadium 8 Sunday's a year (hopefully more then 8 this year ). Unless you start seeing the stadium half empty then I wouldn't worry. This seems like more then to be just about the bills moving though...

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
      My IQ Test results came back negative
      • Oct 2002

Also im not going to look it up but I would be willing to bet living where there is hurricane and tornados reguairy home insurance is a lot more expinensive. If everything was so peachy down there no one would live up here.

Comment

• Ingtar33
        Dances With Buffaloes
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BillsOwnAll View Post
        Also im not going to look it up but I would be willing to bet living where there is hurricane and tornados reguairy home insurance is a lot more expinensive. If everything was so peachy down there no one would live up here.
        well, i used to maintain a home in western new york (the home i grew up in). It was basically closed year round, except for a few weeks a year when i'd roll into town to meet old high school friends, and hang out, then chill with my father. in the end the property tax forced me to sell it. Where i currently live (in a home with a market value 10x my old home in nys) i'm paying about the same propperty tax i was on my old ny state home... which would mean that yes, property taxes are 1/10 what they are in my old neighborhood in western new york.

it's a good neighborhood i live in, and the insurance is reasonable, the other expenses such as "state income tax" is capped close to 3% annual for me, in NYS it would be much closer to 9%, sales tax is about the same, car insurance is a fraction of what i know my father still pays in NYS. frankly it's lower for me now then it was when i was 16... ~almost 30 years ago. I have full coverage, on a two year old car, and i'm paying $75/mo or $900/year. and that's on an expensive foreign car that's less then 2yo. My wife pays much less.

Granted I've not been in NYS for years, so i don't know. I'm heartbroken to hear about John and Marys... are all of them closed? I was sorta looking forward to swinging by a J&M when i visited my father this summer.
        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Apples and Oranges.

I traveled everywhere in the States and wound up back in WNY. It WAS really bad a few years back but is doing much better. Welfare reform is needed but anyone that has been downtown lately has to be blind not to see all the new construction and businesses opening up. The cobblestone district is on one side of the hockey arena and canalside on the other. There is so much to do down there these days and in this WNY area in general. I am never bored here.

Taxes suck but real estate and other cost of living expenses are cheap. Not so other places. I have a large home I could never afford elsewhere and lots of extra income that goes into the bank. My quality of life here is outstanding, IMO. No hurricanes, tornado's, 100 + degree weather in the summer. I can take the winters and the other 3 seasons here I enjoy. I find it extremely easy to live here.

Pegula and his family will be here long after I'm gone.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• HHURRICANE
            • Mar 2005

I live in Atlanta and my property taxes are $16,000. I guess the Falcons are moving to Buffalo based on your logic.

If anyone knows of any property in downtown Buffalo that they want to unload for tax reasons please, please, please call me.

I'll take it off your hands gladly!!!

Comment

• coastal
              Legendary Zoner
              • Mar 2005

Ban this clown

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                • Jun 2024

The op obviously does not know about B.E.R.M (The Buffalo Economic Renaissance Miracle).

Perhaps someone can fill him in on it.

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

the original post was a waste of time and then spike entered the conversation and somehow made it worse.

Let us know when something you root for actually occurs. the bills didn't move, the sabres got the #2 pick, the bruins missed the playoffs. troll elsewhere.

Comment

• Zoneblitser
                    • Apr 2015

Ileft N.Y. seven years ago. Only partly because of Taxes. Mostly because of politics. I'm sad because I think N.Y. is one of the most beautiful states I've seen. The thousand islands, lake placid, the finger lakes, Niagra Falls, Southern Tier, Central N.Y. the Adirondacks, the Hudson Valley. And then there is why I left. NYC.

Comment

• Gilly
                      Go Sabres!!
                      • Sep 2012

I have a $150k house in Tucson, AZ. Property taxes are $1100. Would love to move back to WNY but cannot due to lack of jobs and the insane tax rates you all pay..

Keep electing those democrats to run things!!!

l o o n s..

“A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness,"

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Gilly View Post
                        I have a $150k house in Tucson, AZ. Property taxes are $1100. Would love to move back to WNY but cannot due to lack of jobs and the insane tax rates you all pay..

Keep electing those democrats to run things!!!

l o o n s..
                        There were few jobs available when I moved from Buffalo, but that does not appear to be the case any longer.

When I listen to WGR on the app, GEICO is advertising all the time for people to hire at good pay.

I don't hear anyone advertising to hire on the radio here in SW Fla.

Comment

• streetkings01
                          • Jul 2006

I live in Dutchess County about an hour from NYC , my property taxes are around $1700 with the the Star Rebate. I'm not complaining.
                          You can call me streetkings

Comment

• Discotrish
                            Raging hypocrite and resident troll
                            • Nov 2003

Parts of California will fall into the ocean before the Bills leave Buffalo.

Patti
                            Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

I'm pretty sure that the OP hasn't heard of the "Buffalo Billion" launched by Quomo.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X