X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Tyrod Taylor, quiet buzz in Buffalo behind the draft and Brady stories

I noticed that, too. Just the number of peer players, Graham, Goodwin, Watkins, ...when asked all paised a lot more than the usual words said about a perceived 3rd string QB. Of course no one other than the coaches/players has seen anything. This guy had the reputation being a Vick-ish runner; could he actually learned enough behind Flacco in all those years to be an adequate passer? I guess until he plays an actual game, not just pre-season game, we won't know.
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Tyrod Taylor, quiet buzz in Buffalo behind the draft and Brady stories

Informative.

Comment

• Shady25
      • Feb 2015

REXISM #1 always say something nice about at least one player on the team.
      WILL NOT REMOVE THIS UNTIL SHADY IS SUPERBOWL MVP!!!
      ROCHESTER KNIGHTHAWKS '12 '13 '14 CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Strongman
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
        http://buffalo.suntimes.com/buf-spor...-qb-job-bills/

I noticed that, too. Just the number of peer players, Graham, Goodwin, Watkins, ...when asked all paised a lot more than the usual words said about a perceived 3rd string QB. Of course no one other than the coaches/players has seen anything. This guy had the reputation being a Vick-ish runner; could he actually learned enough behind Flacco in all those years to be an adequate passer? I guess until he plays an actual game, not just pre-season game, we won't know.
        It's encouraging. At any rate, it's good to see the organization bring in a guy with high upside like Taylor compared to the scrubs they used to bring in.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Strongman View Post
          It's encouraging. At any rate, it's good to see the organization bring in a guy with high upside like Taylor compared to the scrubs they used to bring in.
          What makes you think Taylor has more of an upside than say...Tarvaris Jackson or any of the other quarterback duds that we've brought in (Brohm, Vince Young, blah blah blah)?

I'm genuinely curious, I don't know much about the guy.

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

Rex brought Tebow in while with the Jets and we know how that turned out. Taylor does not have to do much to surpass that.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
              What makes you think Taylor has more of an upside than say...Tarvaris Jackson or any of the other quarterback duds that we've brought in (Brohm, Vince Young, blah blah blah)?

Brohm & Young both had cleared waivers without any claims. Jackson was traded for virtually nothing. Taylor has never been waived or dumped for a low draft pick & was wanted by his offensive coordinator from last year to join him in Denver.
              If you can't see more upside than the bums you listed, you're trying not to see it.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                Making Spirits Bright
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
                Brohm & Young both had cleared waivers without any claims. Jackson was traded for virtually nothing. Taylor has never been waived or dumped for a low draft pick & was wanted by his offensive coordinator from last year to join him in Denver.
                If you can't see more upside than the bums you listed, you're trying not to see it.
                So the upside is that he hasn't been cut yet? The Ravens did let his contract expire though.

As far as clearing waivers...nobody wanted to take on Young's contract. How many teams wanted Tyrod? I only know of 2, us and Denver. That means 30 teams didn't want him, instead of 32.

You can say that we traded for Jackson for nothing, but it's still more than we gave up for Tyrod.

Is upside just proportional to how fast and unknown he is?

I'm not trying to argue, I just don't get how people use the term 'upside.' It seems to be related to how unknown his ability is and how athletic someone is. I just feel like Tyrod is going to be on the same list as Brohm and Young in 5 years when we bring in another unknown QB with upside.

Comment

• Strongman
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post

Fair question. I think his speed, athleticism, age, and having a good head on his shoulders. I feel better about him than someone like Jordan Palmer who was brought in last year.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                    Making Spirits Bright
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Strongman View Post
                    Fair question. I think his speed, athleticism, age, and having a good head on his shoulders. I feel better about him than someone like Jordan Palmer who was brought in last year.
                    I hope you're right. It would be nice to get a quality QB in free agency when it was so unexpected that we'd find one.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Don't care how fast Taylor is. Not saying he isn't , but if he's not an above average passer I don't want him.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                        Don't care how fast Taylor is. Not saying he isn't , but if he's not an above average passer I don't want him.
                        That might be a high bar. How about an average passer? With his athleticism which he demonstrated in college, if he's an average passer, he can be ... did Kap went to superbowl?

The truth is no one knows because he really hasn't played in NFL. I will say he's not as good as Flacco. Whether he is better than Cassel/Manuel is the question here.

Comment

• Strongman
                          • Apr 2006

I'm hoping he turns out to be Kap-like. That would be a good problem to have.

Comment

• Ed
                            Dude
                            • Sep 2002

The Broncos and Gary Kubiak made a hard push to bring in Taylor and actually offered him more money than the Bills, but he wanted an opportunity to compete. So we weren't the only team that was interested in him. The Ravens didn't let Taylor walk because they don't like him, they just couldn't offer him a situation with much upside since Flacco isn't going anywhere.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                              Making Spirits Bright
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                              The Broncos and Gary Kubiak made a hard push to bring in Taylor and actually offered him more money than the Bills, but he wanted an opportunity to compete. So we weren't the only team that was interested in him. The Ravens didn't let Taylor walk because they don't like him, they just couldn't offer him a situation with much upside since Flacco isn't going anywhere.
                              I understand that, but having 2 teams interested in your services doesn't necessarily mean you have a ton of upside. A bunch of teams were after McCown, too.

Upside is all well and good, but if you don't turn that potential into success it doesn't mean anything. I know that's an obvious statement, but it's how I feel about Bills players with upside. More often than not, I get excited for nothing with these guys with potential. I'm rooting for Tyrod as much as the next guy, I just hope he wins the job and not that the other guys lose the job.

Comment

Working...
                              X