PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars #3 pick Dante Fowler tears ACL

IlluminatusUIUC
05-08-2015, 03:48 PM
First rookie practice. out for the year.

Jesus what a snake bitten franchise.

I've been having trouble pasting links, but it is on Twitter.

SeatownBillsFan21
05-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Ah man that's just awful feel bad for the kid.

Skooby
05-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Wow, that's terrible news for them & him.

better days
05-08-2015, 04:14 PM
It is all Marrone's fault.

YardRat
05-08-2015, 04:35 PM
Unfortunate for him, hope he can make a full recovery.

elltrain22
05-08-2015, 06:12 PM

Beat me too it. In all seriousness, hope he can recover from this. Tough break

Ingtar33
05-08-2015, 07:53 PM
First rookie practice. out for the year.

Jesus what a snake bitten franchise.

I've been having trouble pasting links, but it is on Twitter.

and think. the day of the draft i said "why would the jags pass on the best player in the draft to draft the best pass rusher?, then again nothing the jags do to sabotage themselves surprises me anymore"

I thought it was self sabotage to pass on Williams. didn't expect it would be because of this though. terrible injury. man when the jags fail they fail hard.

better days
05-09-2015, 09:01 AM

I posted this as a joke. But profootballtalk has an article with video that shows the reason Fowler was injured is that a RT engaged him which is not allowed in minicamp.

Fowler was injured by one of Marrone's players, probably trying to impress Marrone.

DraftBoy
05-09-2015, 11:11 AM
I posted this as a joke. But profootballtalk has an article with video that shows the reason Fowler was injured is that a RT engaged him which is not allowed in minicamp.

Fowler was injured by one of Marrone's players, probably trying to impress Marrone.

The RT didn't even touch Fowler before his knee buckled. Please don't feed into Florio and his idiotic stories designed only to get page clicks and disagreements.

better days
05-09-2015, 11:20 AM
The RT didn't even touch Fowler before his knee buckled. Please don't feed into Florio and his idiotic stories designed only to get page clicks and disagreements.

BS look at the video.

And the RT should NOT have touched him at all!

DraftBoy
05-09-2015, 11:24 AM
BS look at the video.

I have watched a number of times.

Maybe you should watch again.

YardRat
05-09-2015, 11:26 AM

I'm not blaming Marrone or buying into Florio, and admittedly it is tough to tell from the video I've seen, but based on Fowler's upper body movement it sure looks like the RT engages him with his left hand/arm.

better days
05-09-2015, 11:26 AM
BS look at the video.

I doubt a single person that watches that video will agree with you.

The RT ABSOLUTELY engaged Fowler before he went down.

DraftBoy
05-09-2015, 11:27 AM
I'm not blaming Marrone or buying into Florio, and admittedly it is tough to tell from the video I've seen, but based on Fowler's upper body movement it sure looks like the RT engages him with his left hand/arm.

The RT's arms are extended and he's out in front of Fowler's speed rush, but watch the lower body. Fowler is trying to cut back inside since the RT is cheating. His knee gives before he even gets into contact.

YardRat
05-09-2015, 11:31 AM
The RT's arms are extended and he's out in front of Fowler's speed rush, but watch the lower body. Fowler is trying to cut back inside since the RT is cheating. His knee gives before he even gets into contact.

Watch his upper body, it sure looks like he's trying to 'straighten up' to his right, and something pushes him back.

better days
05-09-2015, 11:31 AM
I have watched a number of times.

Maybe you should watch again.

Well, you need a better monitor, a better internet connection or you need to get your eyes checked or all three!

The RT ABSOLUTELY engaged Fowler.

gr8slayer
05-09-2015, 12:15 PM
That's horrible, what a tough break, especially on a non-contact drill... reminds me of Sean Lee last year.

RandolphDuke
05-09-2015, 12:53 PM
The good news is that even though the kid didn't have a signed contract, he is still going to get paid.

That's why I never fault these kids for holding out or angling for more money. Careers are short and the quality of life after football is generally lousy.

better days
05-09-2015, 09:13 PM
That's horrible, what a tough break, especially on a non-contact drill... reminds me of Sean Lee last year.

Well, it was SUPPOSED to be a NON-contact drill.

But as profootballtalk reported there was contact.

And from Saturdays Sarasota Harold Tribune:

Jaguars' Fowler tears ACL

Third overall pick from Florida likely out for season.

Associated Press:

"Fowler's knee buckled during an 11 on 11 drill as he engaged right tackle Watts Dantzler.
Fowler dropped to the ground, grabbed his leg as he rolled from side to side and eventually got helped off the field.
He was carted to the locker room."

IlluminatusUIUC
05-09-2015, 11:26 PM
I haven't seen the video, but is it really relevant whether it was a contact drill? From what I've read the right tackle didn't do anything unusual or cheap, it was just a typical play and the poor guy's knee exploded.

Sometimes you just roll snake eyes.

YardRat
05-10-2015, 05:28 AM
I haven't seen the video, but is it really relevant whether it was a contact drill? From what I've read the right tackle didn't do anything unusual or cheap, it was just a typical play and the poor guy's knee exploded.

If there isn't supposed to be any contact by rule, then yes it is relevant. Even if there was contact, I would agree with the bolded part...it appears it was just incidental based on a natural reaction and probably occurs in every first-day camp for every team, without incident. Fowler's attempt to plant and cut back was the biggest factor, by far.

better days
05-10-2015, 08:08 AM

Yes it is relevant there was contact.

There is not supposed to be any contact in minicamp.

And I am pretty sure there are not supposed to be 11 on 11 drills in mini camp either.

The fact is, if the Jags had followed the rules, this rookie would not have been injured.

DraftBoy
05-10-2015, 08:26 AM
If there isn't supposed to be any contact by rule, then yes it is relevant. Even if there was contact, I would agree with the bolded part...it appears it was just incidental based on a natural reaction and probably occurs in every first-day camp for every team, without incident. Fowler's attempt to plant and cut back was the biggest factor, by far.

What rule?

better days
05-10-2015, 08:28 AM
What rule?

It is in the CBA.

There is to be no contact in minicamp.

DraftBoy
05-10-2015, 08:29 AM

And I am pretty sure there are not supposed to be 11 on 11 drills in mini camp either.

The fact is, if the Jags had followed the rules, this rookie would not have been injured.

The rule states:

“There will be no contact work (e.g., “live” blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump-and-run) or use of pads (helmets permitted) at minicamps.”

- - - Updated - - -

It is in the CBA.

There is to be no contact in minicamp.

That is not actually what the rule states. See post above.

better days
05-10-2015, 08:31 AM
The rule states:

- - - Updated - - -

That is not actually what the rule states. See post above.

Well, there was live blocking. Contact was made. Rules were broken.

And like I said, I am pretty sure 11 on 11 drill are not permitted in minicamp either.

DraftBoy
05-10-2015, 08:33 AM
Well, there was live blocking. Contact was made. Rules were broken.

And like I said, I am pretty sure 11 on 11 drill are not permitted in minicamp either.

Contact being made is not live blocking. Also the injury clearly occurs before the contact when Fowley plants to try and make his move inside.

better days
05-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Contact being made is not live blocking. Also the injury clearly occurs before the contact when Fowley plants to try and make his move inside.

AGAIN this is BS.

The video proves you are WRONG.

Not a single person has said you are correct about this.

And as I posted last night.

The AP reported Fowler was engaged with the RT when he was injured. That is against the rules.

swiper
05-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Bradley said there was no additional damage to Fowler’s knee beyond the ACL tear and added that Fowler will accompany the team on road trips this fall. Fowler’s surgery is not scheduled yet. He will still get the full contract for his slotted amount (roughly $20.7 million).

Fowler never missed a game at Florida. His only brief moment of negativity on Saturday occurred when asked what it will be like to miss playing.

Fowler’s long-term prognosis should be excellent. The NFL’s concern level over ACL injuries is diminishing. Not only did the Rams take Gurley, but Cincinnati drafted Texas A&M offensive tackle Cedric Ogbuehi with the 21st pick in the first round. Ogbuehi tore his ACL in Texas A&M’s bowl game.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2015-05-09/story/jaguars-dante-fowler-remains-positive-through-pain-gurley

better days
05-10-2015, 08:52 AM
Well, I will be very surprised if the NFLPA does not weigh in on this practice by the Jags.

swiper
05-10-2015, 08:53 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000000491977/O-Halloran-Losing-Fowler-a-crippling-blow-for-Jags-D

These drills are allowed in mini-camp. Every single team practices them.

Here the you can see the Colts doing the same type of drill: https://screen.yahoo.com/rookie-mini-camp-1-highlights-235034304.html

Giants: https://screen.yahoo.com/rookie-mini-camp-1-highlights-235034304.html

swiper
05-10-2015, 08:56 AM
Well, I will be very surprised if the NFLPA does not weigh in on this practice by the Jags.

Again the village idiot finds himself out on an island all by himself.

better days
05-10-2015, 09:03 AM
Again the village idiot finds himself out on an island all by himself.

You and draft boy are the village idiots.

swiper
05-10-2015, 09:07 AM
You and draft boy are the village idiots.

We all know you like your GOOGLE search. (ROFLMAO). So use it. GOOGLE videos of any teams mini-camps and you can see proof that you are an idiot. Because EVERY team does that drill.

better days
05-10-2015, 09:21 AM
We all know you like your GOOGLE search. (ROFLMAO). So use it. GOOGLE videos of any teams mini-camps and you can see proof that you are an idiot. Because EVERY team does that drill.

Well, NO team is supposed to have contact at this time little dick.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-10-2015, 10:11 AM

The Broncos 3rd rounder just tore his ACL cutting on open field with no contact at all.

The contact isn't really the issue, this wasn't a preventable injury. It was just bad luck.

better days
05-10-2015, 10:15 AM
The Broncos 3rd rounder just tore his ACL cutting on open field with no contact at all.

The contact isn't really the issue, this wasn't a preventable injury. It was just bad luck.

Injuries happen in many ways.

Contact is not always necessary for an injury to occur (ask Kevin Kolb), but sometimes contact is the cause of the injury.

There is no way to know if Fowler would have been injured or not.

better days
05-10-2015, 10:42 AM
And there is a reason players wanted the no contact rule to be put into the CBA.

And that reason is injuries.

DraftBoy
05-10-2015, 05:46 PM
The video proves you are WRONG.

Not a single person has said you are correct about this.

You were saying something...?

better days
05-11-2015, 05:51 AM
You were saying something...?

ASSwiper, the only person on this board that is a bigger idiot than you.

Big Deal.

swiper
05-11-2015, 04:48 PM
You are the biggest idiot on the internet.

Again. Go google "NFL minicamp videos". And you will see how stupid you are.

Smartly, no other poster is willing to engage your foolishness.

better days
05-12-2015, 11:55 AM
You are the biggest idiot on the internet.

Again. Go google "NFL minicamp videos". And you will see how stupid you are.

Smartly, no other poster is willing to engage your foolishness.

GO wipe an ass ASSWIPER.

swiper
05-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Jaguars sign Fowler. Good news.

According to PFT’s Mike Florio, the contract is fully guaranteed with no offset language (https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/598171322083110913). Mike Garafolo of Fox Sports reports the deal is worth $23.5 million (https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/598165996596285441) with a $15.3 million signing bonus.

YardRat
05-12-2015, 07:00 PM

You and I both know that if the player's union wanted to push the issue, they would have a case IF (I say if, because it's still difficult to actually determine) there was contact between Fowler and the tackle. Contact is contact. An offensive lineman physically engaging a pass rusher is 'live' blocking. It is prohibited by the CBA. That being said, I'll reiterate my earlier comment..."Fowler's attempt to plant and cut back was the biggest factor, by far. "

YardRat
05-12-2015, 07:03 PM
Jaguars sign Fowler. Good news.

A good ramification of the rookie salary cap...players are slotted and their contract value is pretty much predetermined, so the risk of not getting paid because of injury is minimal, if not non-existent. Teams really have nothing to stand on if they try to dick around with a player in cases like this, and that's the way it should be.

DraftBoy
05-12-2015, 07:40 PM
You and I both know that if the player's union wanted to push the issue, they would have a case IF (I say if, because it's still difficult to actually determine) there was contact between Fowler and the tackle. Contact is contact. An offensive lineman physically engaging a pass rusher is 'live' blocking. It is prohibited by the CBA. That being said, I'll reiterate my earlier comment..."Fowler's attempt to plant and cut back was the biggest factor, by far. "

And you and I both know, that what the Player's Union wanted and what they got is not the same. An arm extension into space is not live blocking, as evidenced by videos of just about every other teams minicamps out there. Fowler got hurt on a freak accident as his planted, not because the RT extended his arm into space. It's just Florio doing what he does to try and generate page clicks (see his Wells report article from today). He's just trolling because it makes him money, he doesn't have a point and he doesn't care.

- - - Updated - - -

A good ramification of the rookie salary cap...players are slotted and their contract value is pretty much predetermined, so the risk of not getting paid because of injury is minimal, if not non-existent. Teams really have nothing to stand on if they try to dick around with a player in cases like this, and that's the way it should be.

Agreed.

While I didn't/don't support the rookie cap it at least has this benefit.