PDA

View Full Version : Can our O-Line Capable of pulling off this Wham play Roman loves?

ghz in pittsburgh
05-12-2015, 09:52 AM
http://jameslightfootball.com/2015/05/11/gap-scheme-zone-scheme-wham-plays/

https://jameslightfootball.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/screen-shot-2015-05-11-at-4-31-35-pm.png

I don't see a LG on the Bills LAST year capable to do his assignment. And of course you would have to put Lee Smith at H which would be a key to opposing D to bring down SS. H back blocking is critical in this play - Clay has to earn his money here.

SpikedLemonade
05-12-2015, 09:59 AM
I was looking at that earlier this morning and I don't see us currently having the OL talent to pull off that play successfully on a consistent basis.

GreedoII
05-12-2015, 10:22 AM
6-10 then.....sigh

Strongman
05-12-2015, 10:31 AM
http://jameslightfootball.com/2015/05/11/gap-scheme-zone-scheme-wham-plays/

https://jameslightfootball.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/screen-shot-2015-05-11-at-4-31-35-pm.png

I don't see a LG on the Bills LAST year capable to do his assignment. And of course you would have to put Lee Smith at H which would be a key to opposing D to bring down SS. H back blocking is critical in this play - Clay has to earn his money here.

LG is worrisome. RT might be a problem for us also in that particular play.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-12-2015, 10:32 AM
There is a reason Roman likes to use multiple TEs. Y must be able to handle right DE enough -- I envision our newly drafted 6th round pick. Clay, playing H, will have the toughest job of knocking DT off the lane, really the POA. Glenn, Wood, Henderson each have their target directly in front of them, not difficult assignments. Assuming Incognito playing RG, should have the ability to go nehind Wood to seal off the other charging DT.

SpikedLemonade
05-12-2015, 10:33 AM
Nah. The difference OL play will make is between missing the play-offs at 9-7 (like last year) and making the play-offs at 11-5 (and winning the division in a Pats' down year).

emoulds80
05-12-2015, 10:54 AM
well glenn and wood have always been top 10 at their spots imo. they picked up incognito ( top notch run blocker and pb guard, drafted john miller, who has similar power skill set, and henderson is in year two, richardson is in year two, and ck is in year two so all those guys will improve. urbik has always been solid to average and an above avg run blocker. so yes, i think we will be better plus better oline coaching

SpikedLemonade
05-12-2015, 11:08 AM
well glenn and wood have always been top 10 at their spots imo.

Unfortunately, that is only in your opinion since neither have been close to making a Pro Bowl game even as a substitute.

They are average and we overvalue them as we do all the Bills players.

Having said that, they are the two best players on our OL.

YardRat
05-12-2015, 11:22 AM
I don't see a G on our roster that CAN'T execute a backside seal, that's a pretty easy block that just demands being an obstacle, not actually shooting out and engaging the RDE. I'd be more worried about an HBack and Y-WR/TE being able to stand-up and control the LDT and LDE.

better days
05-12-2015, 11:22 AM
Unfortunately, that is only in your opinion since neither have been close to making a Pro Bowl game even as a substitute.

They are average and we overvalue them as we do all the Bills players.

Having said that, they are the two best players on our OL.

I agree, Glenn & Wood are not pro bowl players, but 10 players do not go to the pro bowl at any position, not even as alternates.

Both Glenn & Wood are above average & could be in the bottom of the top 10.

emoulds80
05-12-2015, 11:26 AM
i guarantee when glenn is a fa, he will make top 5 money...

- - - Updated - - -

hes the total package at lt

Mace
05-15-2015, 05:19 PM
I think they'll be fine. After the Marrone/Morris ridiculous, this stuff will come easy. At least Roman has his linemen trying to block opponents within 10 yards of where they are at the snap. Marrone/Morris equivalent would be opposite side Oline chasing the guys in front of who lined up in front of the guys on the other side, Eric Wood doubling the guy farthest away from him, unless anyone else blocks them farther away then go get him instead, and sending CJ Spiller at the Mike while everyone else runs around to get open, and whoop, where did Spiller go, try throwing it to Chandler who may have gotten open for 4 in the confusion.

Meathead
05-15-2015, 05:25 PM
rumors have the bills signing george michael just for this play

BillsImpossible
05-15-2015, 08:17 PM
A good running back can make an average offensive line look great.

A good quarterback that can throw and run too might make the Bills o-line look dominant.

Chemistry is something the Bills have lacked for a long time.

The Bills used to be great because of the chemistry of those teams, not individual talent.

Individual talent (free agency included) does not win championships. Peyton Manning has 1 ring. His inferior sibling has 2.

Team chemistry wins Super Bowls.

I can already picture Professor Rex in his lab coat donning a pair of goggles getting ready to blow up the Patriots regime with his latest potion.

The most important ingredient is a good cook at quarterback.

Good cooks can make a good meal out of a sparse cupboard.

Mace
05-15-2015, 09:17 PM
Good cooks can make a good meal out of a sparse cupboard.

Maybe I'm way wrong, but I don't think the Bills have a sparse O-line cupboard this time. They have other issues, but I personally think their O-line is stocked well enough with young talent they can use and develop in a running game offense with coaches that have half a clue or more.

I'll still say, it's not going to be the O-line that's the problem. If they get behind and have to go passing game for catch up because someone thought past our defense and knows how to beat it, that will be the problem.

emoulds80
05-16-2015, 12:05 PM
i think adding miller and incognito is going to improve the run game and overall efficiency of our running game in a major way

Mace
05-16-2015, 04:09 PM
i think adding miller and incognito is going to improve the run game and overall efficiency of our running game in a major way

I want to agree with you but your bad judgement in women and pranks have suddenly alarmed me about Miller and Incognito.