PDA

View Full Version : Gruden On The Bills QB Competition

BillsImpossible
05-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Chucky thinks EJ Manuel is a mobile quarterback. I don't agree with that, but he still makes a great point.

Is Manuel mobile? He was forced not to not run last season because he got hurt running the year before.

EJ Manuel is not nearly as mobile as Kaepernick is. He's too big to run like Kaepernick. The only thing they have in common is their inaccuracy throwing the football.

Eagerly anticipating training camp, can't wait. I liked what Gruden was implying.

The quarterback who can make the most plays with their feet is going to win.

It's a great strategy because the days of the one-dimensional pocket passing QB are soon about to end.

When a play breaks down, the QB has to improvise, throw the book out of the window and make a play.

All of the technicalities get erased and the game goes back to how it was played in the backyard: unscripted.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/04/22/gruden-on-bills-qb-competition/
<abbr title="2015-04-22T10:28:14-0400" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-bottom-style: none; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Arial Regular', Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10px; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(0, 30, 52);">
</abbr>

OpIv37
05-12-2015, 07:39 PM
Chucky thinks EJ Manuel is a mobile quarterback. I don't agree with that, but he still makes a great point.

Is Manuel mobile? He was forced not to not run last season because he got hurt running the year before.

EJ Manuel is not nearly as mobile as Kaepernick is. He's too big to run like Kaepernick. The only thing they have in common is their inaccuracy throwing the football.

Eagerly anticipating training camp, can't wait. I liked what Gruden was implying.

The quarterback who can make the most plays with their feet is going to win.

It's a great strategy because the days of the one-dimensional pocket passing QB are soon about to end.

When a play breaks down, the QB has to improvise, throw the book out of the window and make a play.

All of the technicalities get erased and the game goes back to how it was played in the backyard: unscripted.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/04/22/gruden-on-bills-qb-competition/
<abbr title="2015-04-22T10:28:14-0400" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-bottom-style: none; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Arial Regular', Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10px; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(0, 30, 52);">
</abbr>

Is that your thought, or Gruden's?

Either way, it's stupid. We've got a bunch of running backs and WR's who can make crazy plays with their feet. We need a QB to make plays with his arm.

BillsImpossible
05-12-2015, 07:49 PM
Is that your thought, or Gruden's?

Either way, it's stupid. We've got a bunch of running backs and WR's who can make crazy plays with their feet. We need a QB to make plays with his arm.

How did Roman's experiment with Kaepernick making plays with his arm work out last year?

Is a pocket passing QB something Roman wants?

I think he wants a QB who can run and pass too.

BillsImpossible
05-12-2015, 07:54 PM
I think it's stupid to talk about how much you hate someone without talking about how you're going to beat them.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-12-2015, 08:05 PM
Roman may want a lot of things, but we don't have a QB who can run like Kaepernick or a line that can block like San Francisco's. He needs to build around what we've got.

BillsImpossible
05-12-2015, 08:14 PM
Roman may want a lot of things, but we don't have a QB who can run like Kaepernick or a line that can block like San Francisco's. He needs to build around what we've got.

The Bills do have a QB who can run like Kaepernick in Tyrod Taylor.

If he can throw too, he's going to be a superstar in the NFL for many years to come.

Ginger Vitis
05-12-2015, 08:31 PM
If he can throw too, he's going to be a superstar in the NFL for many years to come.

Oh come on lol

OpIv37
05-12-2015, 09:05 PM
I think it's stupid to talk about how much you hate someone without talking about how you're going to beat them.
False equivalency. Hating someone has nothing to do with ability to beat them.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-12-2015, 09:54 PM

I would have thought that the CJ Spiller experience would have shown people that running fast in shorts doesn't make you a great nfl runner.

Kaepernick is one of the best running qbs ever. Taylor isn't even close.

Oaf
05-12-2015, 10:50 PM
EJ Manuel doesn't have the "it" from what I've seen in the NFL to consistently make plays on the run. He spins into pressure, gets myopic about his passing options, etc. He did get it done at Florida St, though.

Night Train
05-13-2015, 04:17 AM
Back on topic. Who really cares what Gruden thinks about QB's ?

He went through them like toilet paper when he coached.

swiper
05-13-2015, 04:33 AM
Compare the life/career length of a "running QB" vs a classic drop-back QB.

Running QB may get you 2 to 3 years of running scared before some DT falls on his knee the wrong way.

Let your QB drop back and throw. And direct your offense. Let your RBs/WRs tote the ball. They are infinitely easier to replace once injured. As witnessed in Buffalo having a lack of QB for so long.

Topas
05-13-2015, 04:50 AM
In theory, I agree with you Swiper. Problem is that the college does produce next to no passing QBs anymore. There was Luck. And who else? I mean it does not even have to be of Lucks quality. But if you look at the top ten passing QBs in the NFL they are pretty much all very old.
Each teams wants a passing QB (well maybe not each team, but almost all), but the options are scarce.

YardRat
05-13-2015, 04:56 AM
Why is anybody worried about the QB position? They spent a gazillion dollars on shiny new toys during free agency, and added a few more in the draft. With all that talent at the skill positions we should be able to coast to the playoffs with the midget trainer taking the snaps.

DraftBoy
05-13-2015, 05:20 AM
Back on topic. Who really cares what Gruden thinks about QB's ?

He went through them like toilet paper when he coached.

Adding on to this, if I was Todd McShay I would be beyond pissed that ESPN puts John Gruden on TV on Day 1 of the NFL Draft. You're talking about a guy who spends an entire year trying to come up with catchy phrases for TV v. McShay who spends his whole year watching the players actually getting drafted. I would love to see McShay and Kiper go head to head over the annoyance of Gruden thinking every player drafted is the second coming.

HHURRICANE
05-13-2015, 05:27 AM
EJ hasn't proven he can run other than out of bounce, short of the first down marker.

Just because Russell Wilson is the second coming of Michael Vick doesn't mean the league is moving away from pocket passers. If so than we should easily get Luck or Rodgers for a third rounder. Make that deal today.

Night Train
05-13-2015, 05:43 AM
Adding on to this, if I was Todd McShay I would be beyond pissed that ESPN puts John Gruden on TV on Day 1 of the NFL Draft. You're talking about a guy who spends an entire year trying to come up with catchy phrases for TV v. McShay who spends his whole year watching the players actually getting drafted. I would love to see McShay and Kiper go head to head over the annoyance of Gruden thinking every player drafted is the second coming.

The tension between Kiper and Gruden couldn't be more obvious. I may disagree with Kiper and McShay on things... but with Gruden, I'm thinking " Why is this buffoon on my TV ? "

trapezeus
05-13-2015, 06:38 AM
gruden on every qb he's ever seen, "What I like about this guy is...." He loves everyone.

tyrod is like betting on 0 at roulette. if you do it often enough, you'll eventualy hit it. and when you do, you can seem like a genius. but most times it doesn't come up and you just look like a dreamer and a gambler.

if we are relying on him to be a stud, we have bad management. if he's supposed to be a great back up and push the competition, great. if he also happens to be a little better than advertised, thats' great. anything more than that is gambling and wishing.

BidsJr
05-13-2015, 06:56 AM
EJ hasn't proven he can run other than out of bounce, short of the first down marker.

Just because Russell Wilson is the second coming of Michael Vick doesn't mean the league is moving away from pocket passers. If so than we should easily get Luck or Rodgers for a third rounder. Make that deal today.

Russell Wilson is far closer to the second coming of Steve Young than he is Mike Vick.

djjimkelly
05-13-2015, 08:24 AM
funny how every informed national pundit talks about EJ as the starter.

then i come to this board............... and you would think EJ is the midget from game of thrones.

that being said Tyrion Lannister as the bills qb would be entertaining oh wait (we did have the flutie era)

Blondie
05-13-2015, 08:36 AM
The tension between Kiper and Gruden couldn't be more obvious. I may disagree with Kiper and McShay on things... but with Gruden, I'm thinking " Why is this buffoon on my TV ? "

Be glad he was never a coach for the BILLS ... it was horrible having to listen to his press conferences here after a BUCS game ... I am NOT a fan of Gruden and was glad to see him go bye-bye

IlluminatusUIUC
05-13-2015, 09:20 AM
funny how every informed national pundit talks about EJ as the starter.

then i come to this board...............

I agree that Manuel is the starter, but to me that speaks more to the quality of his competition.

and you would think EJ is the midget from game of thrones.

that being said Tyrion Lannister as the bills qb would be entertaining oh wait (we did have the flutie era)

There already is a drunken, whoring midget playing QB and his name is Johnny Manziel

BillsImpossible
05-13-2015, 05:51 PM
I would have thought that the CJ Spiller experience would have shown people that running fast in shorts doesn't make you a great nfl runner.

Give this video 1 minute. Tyrod Taylor can run.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fziUvVLNWiM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Give all of his highlights on youtube a good look and I don't think anyone could honestly say that Tyrod Taylor doesn't have the same kind of running ability as Kaepernick. He might even be a better running QB. He's not as tall, and he's faster. We shall see.

There's no doubt he is the fastest running QB in the NFL. Rex Ryan said it.

What I like about Tyrod Taylor the most is his ability to make plays with his feet. That doesn't necessarily mean running the ball either.

Mace
05-13-2015, 06:03 PM
How did Roman's experiment with Kaepernick making plays with his arm work out last year?

Is a pocket passing QB something Roman wants?

I think he wants a QB who can run and pass too.

Harbaugh ran the passing game and heavily influenced play selection last year. I've never seen any sign Roman wants much to do with the passing game. The Bills are not even letting him have much to do with it (Lee & Lal will). At most, Roman wants a QB who doesn't screw up his running game and keeps teams from keying on it by being a good little QB and speaking when spoken to.

As for Gruden, love hearing whatever he has to say. Doesn't carry more or less weight, he's just fun to listen to.

BillsImpossible
05-13-2015, 06:07 PM
Oh come on lol

Tyrod Taylor can run the football, without question. Watch the video above and it also shows how he can throw by making plays with his feet.

If he can throw too, Tyrod Taylor is going to be the Bills starting quarterback.

BillsImpossible
05-13-2015, 06:26 PM
Harbaugh ran the passing game and heavily influenced play selection last year. I've never seen any sign Roman wants much to do with the passing game. The Bills are not even letting him have much to do with it (Lee & Lal will). At most, Roman wants a QB who doesn't screw up his running game and keeps teams from keying on it by being a good little QB and speaking when spoken to.

As for Gruden, love hearing whatever he has to say. Doesn't carry more or less weight, he's just fun to listen to.

Chucky knows how to have fun. He's interesting. He's got swagger, and a ring. The bolded comment above reminds me of how Gruden won that ring with Tampa Bay. Great defense, run the ball, and don't F it up, Dilfer.

Jets came close to perfecting Chucky's recipe, twice.

Ravens recipe for success was similar to Gruden's. Run the ball, strong D, don't F it up Joe.

None of those ring bearing QB's could run like Tyrod Taylor can run. Same philosophy - strong D, run the ball - but with the NFL's latest twist of a QB that can run and pass too.

Tyrod Taylor is a stand up guy. No character issues, been riding the pine for 4 years being Flacco, and now is his chance.

If he succeeds the NFL is going to love Tyrod Taylor. He's going to be everything the NFL wanted Michael Vick to be.

BillsImpossible
05-13-2015, 06:39 PM
"Superman?" Couldn't resist.

Terry Pegula is Superman and Kim Pegula is Superwoman.

Super Bowl.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2vHJTeM4S3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Meathead
05-13-2015, 06:41 PM
one billion pcent ej starts

ParanoidAndroid
05-13-2015, 07:11 PM

The best running QB's ever never made it in the NFL. The only exception among the top 20 is Michael Vick. We're talking Vince Young, Tommie Frazier, Eric Crouch, Colt McCoy, Tony Rice, Darien Hagan.......

Meathead
05-13-2015, 07:43 PM
well like ive been saying, i think rexy prefers to let ej or even tyrod play and run a lot in romans offense. cassel is the emergency insurance policy in case that all goes to ѕhit and he has to revert to a more traditional offense

its gonna be more risk to the runners knees etc but neither of those guys is going to give you reliable classic drop back production so why not give it a go. look for the big plays, expect a few more three and outs, and let the defense just keep giving you field position

that also means we likely see at least two guys if not all three, figuring that the runners are gonna get hobbled here and there. it could work

Mace
05-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Jets came close to perfecting Chucky's recipe, twice.

Yeah, but you see what happened after, which sort of says much and now they're rebuilding again just like we're still trying to hit the magic, except with a bunch of everything they already tried and needed rebuild anyway.

I dunno. Crapshoot.

Bill Cody
05-14-2015, 08:05 AM

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

BertSquirtgum
05-14-2015, 09:54 AM
And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

What if your uncle was a cross dresser?

Bill Cody
05-14-2015, 11:43 AM
What if your uncle was a cross dresser?

Trolling for dates again Bert?

BillsImpossible
05-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Trolling for dates again Bert?

No. I think Bert was implying in a funny way something else.

A cross dresser goes both ways.

What if Tyrod Taylor can run AND pass?

BillsImpossible
05-14-2015, 06:46 PM
The best running QB's ever never made it in the NFL. The only exception among the top 20 is Michael Vick. We're talking Vince Young, Tommie Frazier, Eric Crouch, Colt McCoy, Tony Rice, Darien Hagan.......

They could all run, but couldn't pass in the NFL.

better days
05-15-2015, 07:01 AM
Be glad he was never a coach for the BILLS ... it was horrible having to listen to his press conferences here after a BUCS game ... I am NOT a fan of Gruden and was glad to see him go bye-bye

Gruden's act wore thin.

I think the players were more happy to see him go than us Bucs fans.

But we still have to give him credit & be thankful for that Super Bowl win.

That was a GREAT year.

Blondie
05-15-2015, 02:07 PM
Gruden's act wore thin.

I think the players were more happy to see him go than us Bucs fans.

But we still have to give him credit & be thankful for that Super Bowl win.

That was a GREAT year.

I don't give him credit.

Never have never will.

He beat HIS team with Dungy's team.

It was shameful when Dungy left the BUCS organization.

better days
05-15-2015, 03:45 PM
I don't give him credit.

Never have never will.

He beat HIS team with Dungy's team.

It was shameful when Dungy left the BUCS organization.

I like Dungy, but he was as inept getting an OC in Tampa as Chan Gailey was at getting a DC in Buffalo.

YardRat
05-15-2015, 04:32 PM
Chucky knows how to have fun. He's interesting. He's got swagger, and a ring. The bolded comment above reminds me of how Gruden won that ring with Tampa Bay. Great defense, run the ball, and don't F it up, Dilfer.

Brad Johnson was the Bucs QB when they won the SB.

better days
05-15-2015, 04:47 PM

Dilfer, Johnson, Flacco, Eli Manning.... proof a team CAN win the Super Bowl without a great QB.

Mace
05-15-2015, 04:58 PM

Too funny. I missed the mistake. Even funnier, it honestly took me a few minutes to remember the difference between the two. Funniest, I might be thinking of two entirely different QB's I always thought were Johnson and Dilfer. Made me laugh.

Mace
05-15-2015, 05:01 PM
Dilfer, Johnson, Flacco, Eli Manning.... proof a team CAN win the Super Bowl without a great QB.

Flacco at least gets hot streaks, and Eli has his hot streaks at clutch time. Johnson and Dilfer though, well, yes, I think, because I honestly have no memory of either one doing anything, besides Johnsons rag arm late career struggles.

BillsImpossible
05-15-2015, 07:42 PM

Brad Dilfer. My bad. They're one in the same, one shade away in the paint section of Home Depot.

Peach or light peach?

They're both just peachy. Is Cassel peachy enough to win like Trent Johnson?

Kyle Orton was a pear, not a peach. Fitzpatrick, Edwards, and Losman were all mangoes.

The Bills need a QB that can run and throw like apples and oranges. I don't think EJ is that guy. He's a banana.

YardRat
05-16-2015, 04:23 AM
The only QB I can think of that was a fruit is Jeff Garcia.

sudzy
05-16-2015, 05:46 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000492925/article/is-matt-cassel-destined-for-backup-role-with-the-bills

Cassel might not be the favorite to start after all.

better days
05-16-2015, 08:16 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000492925/article/is-matt-cassel-destined-for-backup-role-with-the-bills

Cassel might not be the favorite to start after all.

Chip Kelly saying he would like the chance to coach EJ & EJ saying the Eagles "want me pretty bad" sounds like tampering to me.

SpikedLemonade
05-16-2015, 09:11 AM
Dumb as a bag of hammers.

Both of those statements were made before the Bills drafted EJ:

After recruiting Manuel at Oregon, Chip Kelly told NFL Network in the lead-up to the 2013 NFL Draft (http://www.nfl.com/draft) that the former Florida State star was a player he "didn't get a chance to coach but would like a chance to coach."

Shortly thereafter, Manuel noted that the Eagles (http://www.nfl.com/teams/philadelphiaeagles/profile?team=PHI) "want me pretty bad (http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/ej-manuel-eagles-they-want-me-pretty-bad)."

better days
05-16-2015, 09:26 AM

Both of those statements were made before the Bills drafted EJ:

After recruiting Manuel at Oregon, Chip Kelly told NFL Network in the lead-up to the 2013 NFL Draft (http://www.nfl.com/draft) that the former Florida State star was a player he "didn't get a chance to coach but would like a chance to coach."

Shortly thereafter, Manuel noted that the Eagles (http://www.nfl.com/teams/philadelphiaeagles/profile?team=PHI) "want me pretty bad (http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/ej-manuel-eagles-they-want-me-pretty-bad)."

OK, I was drinking my first cup of coffee, just waking up.

But you have no excuse for being a douche little dick.

SpikedLemonade
05-16-2015, 09:39 AM
Since Swiper wasn't here yet, I wanted to keep you on your toes prior to his arrival.

Mace
05-16-2015, 04:16 PM

As a rule, I find my hammers fairly intelligent, pondering mobocracy with one the other day as we dumpsterized an entertainment center. Screwdrivers on the other hand are not so clever, tending to be content with how things go one way or the other. Just my two cents.

Blondie
05-16-2015, 04:25 PM

Apparently Brad Johnson cheated .. He did something to the footballs to give him a better advantage.

Blondie
05-16-2015, 04:27 PM

I stood in line for HOURS 6months pregnant to get my ex husbands Dilfer jersey autographed by Dilfer.

He won the SB the year after the BuCS traded him to the Ravens.

Mace
05-16-2015, 04:31 PM
I stood in line for HOURS 6months pregnant to get my ex husbands Dilfer jersey autographed by Dilfer.

He won the SB the year after the BuCS traded him to the Ravens.

Don't feel too bad about it, we all make mistakes in our youth.

DynaPaul
05-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Sorry, pocket passers still rule.

Mace
05-17-2015, 06:17 PM
Sorry, pocket passers still rule.

Well, unless you try and start Christian Ponder or Brandon Weeden...