PDA

View Full Version : So why the Dareus verdict hasn't been handed down yet?

ghz in pittsburgh
05-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Just wondering if there is an investigation is going on. I'm sure the Bills brass would like to know as soon as possible.

Skooby
05-15-2015, 10:24 AM
Parking tickets investigation ?? I think that the whole Pats / Deflate thing has delayed if not derailed anything coming for Dareus, what are they going to say about parking tickets anyways ??

alnilla
05-15-2015, 10:43 AM
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/04/07/bills-marcell-dareus-pleads-guilty-to-violations-in-crash/

Goobylal
05-15-2015, 12:25 PM
What case? He got nailed for having "spice," a felony (for some reason), but cooperated with the court's pre-trial diversion program (for non-violent first offenders) and got it wiped. Not to mention "spice" isn't banned by the NFL. Since he cooperated and did what the courts asked, it's not an issue. And getting parking tickets isn't enough to suspend him.

emoulds80
05-15-2015, 01:03 PM
wtf

Ed
05-18-2015, 11:01 AM
I think Dareus is going to get one game for the possession arrest and 1 game for the street racing. Bradham had a minor possession incident a couple summers ago that got dismissed, but the NFL still suspended him for 1 game a year later. I think suspending Dareus at this point for anything is BS, but that's how the league operates. I don't see him avoiding suspension.

Goobylal
05-18-2015, 02:42 PM
I think Dareus is going to get one game for the possession arrest and 1 game for the street racing. Bradham had a minor possession incident a couple summers ago that got dismissed, but the NFL still suspended him for 1 game a year later. I think suspending Dareus at this point for anything is BS, but that's how the league operates. I don't see him avoiding suspension.
The differences are Bradham got off on a technicality whereas Dareus complied, and a traffic ticket isn't a suspendable offense. If they start suspending players for getting speeding tickets, the NFLPA would go ape spit.

Ed
05-18-2015, 03:31 PM
The differences are Bradham got off on a technicality whereas Dareus complied, and a traffic ticket isn't a suspendable offense. If they start suspending players for getting speeding tickets, the NFLPA would go ape spit.
I think you're giving the NFL too much credit for being reasonable. I don't know that the legal outcome matters. Both Bradham and Dareus were arrested for having an illegal substance in their vehicle. When it comes to player conduct I don't think there are specific rules about convictions or technicalities or whatever. The NFL just decides as they go. The NFLPA can go as ape spit as they want, but that's the CBA that they agreed to.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-19-2015, 09:58 AM
I'm still amazed at how people are willing to downplay Dareus' crash. If there wasn't a tree planted on that sidewalk, he could have gone right through the front window of a restaurant at lunchtime. He should consider himself goddamned lucky he didn't kill anyone.

If the league suspends players for DUI, they should suspend him for the street racing.

Goobylal
05-19-2015, 07:12 PM
I'm still amazed at how people are willing to downplay Dareus' crash. If there wasn't a tree planted on that sidewalk, he could have gone right through the front window of a restaurant at lunchtime. He should consider himself goddamned lucky he didn't kill anyone.

If the league suspends players for DUI, they should suspend him for the street racing.
Then they should suspend everyone who speeds. Because they could potentially kill someone and they're just lucky they didn't. Think that's going to happen?

If anything, he might get suspended for the synthetic pot. But since he complied with the courts and voluntarily entered the drug testing program, he likely won't.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-19-2015, 08:57 PM
Then they should suspend everyone who speeds. Because they could potentially kill someone and they're just lucky they didn't. Think that's going to happen?

You guys realize he wasn't just pulled over for doing 69 in a 65 zone right? He was speeding so excessively that his precision tuned sports car lost control on dry pavement and skidded through oncoming traffic, through a parking lot, and into a tree.

Maybe if he had broken his leg and missed some games people would see this for the recklessness it was.

YardRat
05-20-2015, 05:07 AM
I don't think he would have hit the building even if the tree wasn't there.

Goobylal
05-20-2015, 09:00 AM
You guys realize he wasn't just pulled over for doing 69 in a 65 zone right? He was speeding so excessively that his precision tuned sports car lost control on dry pavement and skidded through oncoming traffic, through a parking lot, and into a tree.

Maybe if he had broken his leg and missed some games people would see this for the recklessness it was.
Sure it was reckless. So too is speeding.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-20-2015, 09:07 AM
Sure it was reckless. So too is speeding.

There are degrees of recklessness, which is why there are degrees of punishment for it. This falls on the higher end of the scale, just like drunk driving.

feldspar
05-20-2015, 09:10 AM

Maybe he's just a bad driver, lol.

I hit a tree when I was his age too.

better days
05-21-2015, 01:53 AM
There are degrees of recklessness, which is why there are degrees of punishment for it. This falls on the higher end of the scale, just like drunk driving.

Just as first degree murder is reduced to manslaughter in many cases, this case was reduced.

Therefore it is not as big a deal as you want it to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe he's just a bad driver, lol.

I hit a tree when I was his age too.

As did my cousin, he is lucky to be alive.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-21-2015, 09:15 AM
Just as first degree murder is reduced to manslaughter in many cases, this case was reduced.

Therefore it is not as big a deal as you want it to be.

I don't want it to be a big deal, I want to point out that many people here are perfectly content to downplay it because he got lucky.

And like I also said, everyone's opinions on this would be flipped 180 degrees if he had broken his leg and missed playing time. He'd be pilloried and rightly so.

better days
05-21-2015, 10:53 AM
I don't want it to be a big deal, I want to point out that many people here are perfectly content to downplay it because he got lucky.

And like I also said, everyone's opinions on this would be flipped 180 degrees if he had broken his leg and missed playing time. He'd be pilloried and rightly so.

Seems to me you are doing a fine job of pillorying him as is.

Goobylal
05-21-2015, 12:27 PM

Of course. If he'd killed someone peoples' opinions would also change. But again, you can't punish people based on what might have happened. And drag racing is little more than speeding. Why it's a felony compared to speeding is anyone's guess, but like with crack versus powdered cocaine, the penalty might have been worse because it mostly involved a certain demographic or economic level.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Seems to me you are doing a fine job of pillorying him as is.

Yes, I am. For being outrageously reckless.

Of course. If he'd killed someone peoples' opinions would also change. But again, you can't punish people based on what might have happened.

We can and do all the time. If you get pulled over for DUI, try telling the cop or the judge that you can't punish me because I haven't hit anyone.

You punish people for acting recklessly. Obviously you punish them worse if that recklessness leads to consequences, but neither the traffic law nor NFL disclipine are a "No harm, no foul" situation.

And drag racing is little more than speeding. Why it's a felony compared to speeding is anyone's guess, but like with crack versus powdered cocaine, the penalty might have been worse because it mostly involved a certain demographic or economic level.

I haven't seen drag racing considered a felony, the punishment I saw was 30 days in jail. But it is significantly more than speeding. Most speeding tickets are given out for going like 10-15 MPH over the limit. That is indeed dangerous. But street racers can easily hit 40-50 MPH over the limit, and Dareus likely did considering he lost control.

I said it before and I'll repeat it: If they suspend players for DUI, they should suspend him for street racing.

better days
05-21-2015, 01:45 PM
Yes, I am. For being outrageously reckless.

I think people forget how young football players are for the most part.

I know when I was young, I acted reckless from time to time.

And I would bet you did as well.

MillsapsBillsFan
05-21-2015, 01:55 PM
He got one game for violating the NFL policy and Program for Substance Abuse. Per Adam Schefter

ghz in pittsburgh
05-21-2015, 01:59 PM
Appeal now while Brady is appealing ... maybe when one gets reduced, Marcell's as well so he can come into the game after half time:blowup:

IlluminatusUIUC
05-21-2015, 02:19 PM
I think people forget how young football players are for the most part.

I know when I was young, I acted reckless from time to time.

And I would bet you did as well.

I did, and when I got caught I was punished.

Goobylal
05-21-2015, 02:37 PM
We can and do all the time. If you get pulled over for DUI, try telling the cop or the judge that you can't punish me because I haven't hit anyone.

You punish people for acting recklessly. Obviously you punish them worse if that recklessness leads to consequences, but neither the traffic law nor NFL disclipine are a "No harm, no foul" situation
I never said Dareus shouldn't be punished, and he was. And a better analogy would be charging someone with hitting someone while DUI, even if they didn't.

I haven't seen drag racing considered a felony, the punishment I saw was 30 days in jail. But it is significantly more than speeding. Most speeding tickets are given out for going like 10-15 MPH over the limit. That is indeed dangerous. But street racers can easily hit 40-50 MPH over the limit, and Dareus likely did considering he lost control.

I said it before and I'll repeat it: If they suspend players for DUI, they should suspend him for street racing.
You can't say how fast or even if he was drag racing without him being clocked OR having a drag racing partner. And I don't think it's luck that he happened to miss hitting cars and people. What probably happened is he had Hughes in a car next to him, revved the engine and took off at the green light, and lost control. I've seen it happen because guys don't realize how much torque their high performance vehicles generate.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-21-2015, 06:59 PM
I never said Dareus shouldn't be punished, and he was.

As of now, he hasn't received an NFL discipline.

And a better analogy would be charging someone with hitting someone while DUI, even if they didn't.

There's no analogy necessary. If the guy is caught for DUI, he gets suspended regardless of whether he hit anyone. If the guy is caught reckless driving, I say he should be suspended for that too because it's just as inherently dangerous.

You can't say how fast or even if he was drag racing without him being clocked OR having a drag racing partner. And I don't think it's luck that he happened to miss hitting cars and people. What probably happened is he had Hughes in a car next to him, revved the engine and took off at the green light, and lost control. I've seen it happen because guys don't realize how much torque their high performance vehicles generate.

He was racing west down 179, the details are in the news stories about it. The closest intersection there is Abbott Road, about a mile from where he crashed. That's enough distance to hit or nearly hit the top speed on the car.

Goobylal
05-21-2015, 07:25 PM
As of now, he hasn't received an NFL discipline.

There's no analogy necessary. If the guy is caught for DUI, he gets suspended regardless of whether he hit anyone. If the guy is caught reckless driving, I say he should be suspended for that too because it's just as inherently dangerous.

He was racing west down 179, the details are in the news stories about it. The closest intersection there is Abbott Road, about a mile from where he crashed. That's enough distance to hit or nearly hit the top speed on the car.
It sounds like he was suspended for the "spice" charge. But again, without a drag racing partner, it's speeding, which again, is reckless.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-21-2015, 07:47 PM
It sounds like he was suspended for the "spice" charge. But again, without a drag racing partner, it's speeding, which again, is reckless.

Well I think marijuana, sythetic or not, should be legal anyway so whatever. If he skates NFL discipline on the racing and gets it for the "spice" then whatever, I'll call it 6 of one, half-dozen of the other.