PDA

View Full Version : Vic Carucci Doesn't Think Matt Cassel Will Be The Starter Week 1

BillsImpossible
05-16-2015, 04:05 PM
Props to sudzy.

Carucci thinks Cassel was signed to be a veteran backup, and also thinks Manuel won't be on the roster if he doesn't win the competition.

Get ready for Tyrod Taylor, Bills fans.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000492925/article/is-matt-cassel-destined-for-backup-role-with-the-bills

At least one prominent beat writer believes, however, that Cassel won't be under center in Week 1 versus the Colts (http://www.nfl.com/teams/indianapoliscolts/profile?team=IND).
"I wouldn't rule it out," writes Vic Carucci of The Buffalo News, "but I believe he was acquired mainly to provide the veteran backup quarterback (http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/05/15/bills-mailbag-will-cassel-start-will-jackson-survive/) the Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF) lost when Kyle Orton (http://www.nfl.com/player/kyleorton/2506444/profile) suddenly retired the day after last season." ----

Although Carucci believes Ryan and coordinator Greg Roman are "open-minded" about Manuel's chances, he also suspects the 2013 first-round pick won't be on the final roster unless he wins the starting job.

Woodman
05-16-2015, 04:42 PM
Agree 100%!!

feldspar
05-16-2015, 04:58 PM
Vic Carruci has been wrong before, and this is just his opinion. The competition hasn't even really started yet.

The Bills would be contenders with any kind of decent QB play, as most people recognize at this point. That's the thing that gets me.

Woodman
05-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Manuel starts or leaves.

Mace
05-16-2015, 05:05 PM
I entirely disagree just to present an opposing viewpoint. I think Cassel was signed to be the veteran starter and they will keep Manuel as the young backup. Tyrod Taylor is here to get Jeff Tuel the heck off the roster finally because Whaley never liked how Tuel never says "hi" in the hall when they run into each other before Whaley has to or they both have to pretend they didn't see each other because they were thinking about something else because they found the encounter uncomfortable.

Buffalogic
05-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Front office in win now mode, not ej mode. Cassel will start.

Meathead
05-16-2015, 05:47 PM
ej will start and either sink or swim in his first couple real starts. he would have to suck holy hell in preseason not to get the season opener, which i doubt will happen. if he does well he will keep playing. if he doesnt he gets cut

so they will start the season with the three qbs they got. if ej can keep the job, then tyrod might be on the bubble after game three or four. if ej blows again, hes released and they run with the two they got left the rest of the way

the interesting question there would be cassel or taylor. id say cassel most likely bc if ej is gone that means he sucked and they are probably 1-1 or worse. so they would go with a safer choice in cassel and see if the steady vet can right the ship. taylor gets his shot whenever cassel cant play and he would have to outperform him to keep the job after that (which might not be too hard)

YardRat
05-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Are you related to Kim Possible?

Night Train
05-16-2015, 06:22 PM
He doesn't actually know but believes Rex likes a mobile, athletic QB. That's Manuel or Taylor with Cassel being the safe fall back option if it doesn't work out.

Not a bad guess but it still beats an Orton, Fitz plan by miles.

Mace
05-16-2015, 06:50 PM
He doesn't actually know but believes Rex likes a mobile, athletic QB. That's Manuel or Taylor with Cassel being the safe fall back option if it doesn't work out.

Not a bad guess but it still beats an Orton, Fitz plan by miles.

Separate plans though. Orton was a statue who could throw, Fitz was athletic and mobile but couldn't. I still think they want a play action short game slinger with just the occasional long ball, which could be any of the three, Cassel being the obvious fallback.

Still beats the Orton/Fitz philosophy anyway though because there wasn't any. Gailey needed a guy who could throw, Marrone/Hackett needed not a statue.

Night Train
05-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Separate plans though. Orton was a statue who could throw, Fitz was athletic and mobile but couldn't. I still think they want a play action short game slinger with just the occasional long ball, which could be any of the three, Cassel being the obvious fallback.

Still beats the Orton/Fitz philosophy anyway though because there wasn't any. Gailey needed a guy who could throw, Marrone/Hackett needed not a statue.

The difference is Roman has an actual plan with McCoy and depth behind him RB at to take the pressure off the QB. That allows a guy like Taylor to actually win the job. Cassel is the obvious insurance policy.

Mace
05-16-2015, 08:16 PM
The difference is Roman has an actual plan with McCoy and depth behind him RB at to take the pressure off the QB. That allows a guy like Taylor to actually win the job. Cassel is the obvious insurance policy.

It's kind of a fun offseason, isn't it ?

TacklingDummy
05-16-2015, 09:27 PM
6-10 to 8-8 here we come

Night Train
05-17-2015, 06:07 AM
6-10 to 8-8 here we come
3-13 last year.

YardRat
05-17-2015, 06:46 AM
I'm rooting for all three to light it up during training camp and preseason games so it's a damn tough call for Rex Roman to decide who's going to be taking snaps week one.

Meathead
05-17-2015, 08:18 AM
that wouldnt be a tough call at all. it would automatically be ej since they have the most invested in him. thats why hes gonna be the opening starter barring an epic bad preseason

better days
05-17-2015, 08:58 AM
3-13 last year.

Some were calling 3-13 this year as well.

And there were a number of Rex HATERS on this board when he was hired.

They are in stealth mode for now, but at the first loss they will no doubt show their ugly heads again.

feldspar
05-17-2015, 09:01 AM
I'm rooting for all three to light it up during training camp and preseason games so it's a damn tough call for Rex Roman to decide who's going to be taking snaps week one.

I'm hoping one guy clearly separates himself, and the sooner the better. You want the starter to get the majority of reps in practice, right?

that wouldnt be a tough call at all. it would automatically be ej since they have the most invested in him. thats why hes gonna be the opening starter barring an epic bad preseason

What do they have invested in Manuel, a first round pick? I always looked at it like we got EJ and Kiko Alonso with the same pick, and we really did. Anyway, Cassel is making a lot more money than EJ is this year. No way he's not making the team at this point. Dunno why we'd get rid of Manuel if he doesn't start like Carruci thinks, either...not unless we can get a really good deal in a trade.

Meathead
05-17-2015, 09:07 AM
if ej plays the first two games like he did his last two starts he will likely be released bc his trade value would be zero and his roster spot could be used on a more valuable position. the only way he stays on the team and doesnt play is if one of the other two gets injured before ej gets sent to the bench

i mean if ej cant beat out cassel and taylor at this point he has no bidness being on the team. fortunately i dont think that will happen, but well see

Skooby
05-17-2015, 09:10 AM

They are in stealth mode for now, but at the first loss they will no doubt show their ugly heads again.
What if the first loss is week 10?

Novacane
05-17-2015, 10:54 AM
-
What if the first loss is week 10?

They will come out of the woodwork screaming 9-7!!!!!!!!!!!!

BillsImpossible
05-17-2015, 01:26 PM

That would be ideal, but it's highly unlikely.

Cassel already has a leg up on EJ because he's more experienced and more familiar with the voluminous playbook. Reports from mini-camp said Cassel looked more comfortable throwing the ball which probably had a lot to do with being at least somewhat familiar with Roman's offense.

A friend of mine knows a guy that works for the Bills.

According to the latest reports, he said Taylor has, "an accurate rocket arm."

It's all going to come down to who wants it more. Hate to say it, but EJ looks comfortable and laid back in interviews. He's always been like that, but I would expect a little more anxiousness out of him given the situation. He has said, "it's a do or die year for me," but his body language in interviews suggests otherwise. Then again, EJ has always come across as being positive, smart and laid back.

Cassel looks the same to me in his interviews. Positive guy, laid back, smart, well spoken. No pressure.

Tyrod Taylor's body language is much different. Much more serious. Laid back, smart, well spoken too, but more businesslike compared to Manuel and Cassel.

Very interesting interview with Tyrod Taylor. Joe and Paul in the background! Loved what he had to say about his throwing ability.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EmnqRnAh4q4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YardRat
05-17-2015, 03:06 PM

I don't like the hire, I'm sure as hell not in stealth mode, but I'm also not going as low as 3-13.

I'm hoping one guy clearly separates himself, and the sooner the better. You want the starter to get the majority of reps in practice, right?

That's a valid point, but I'm assuming (hoping?) the starter will be named after the last preseason game at the latest and will get the most reps in the practices leading up to the season opener.

HHURRICANE
05-17-2015, 03:23 PM
Cassel has two 10 win plus seasons and a pro bowl under his belt. He's going to be the starter. Rumor is Philly may take EJ off our hands as a reclamation project for a 6th rounder. Tyrod is a backup.

BillsImpossible
05-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Cassel has two 10 win plus seasons and a pro bowl under his belt. He's going to be the starter. Rumor is Philly may take EJ off our hands as a reclamation project for a 6th rounder. Tyrod is a backup.

You're talking about something Cassel accomplished over 5 years ago. The NFL has changed a lot since Cassel was the quarterback for the Patriots and Chiefs.

Matt Cassel is Any Dalton Light. He'll get you to the playoffs and put up some nice numbers, but he's never going to win the big game.

Cassel is a good backup quarterback.

Skooby
05-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Tyrod's been a back-up not is a back-up, big difference. Farve was a back-up, so was Brady. It doesn't mean Tyrod will be that good but being behind great QB's doesn't mean you can't start & win.

BertSquirtgum
05-17-2015, 11:08 PM
6-10 to 8-8 here we come

If we do the math of your awful predicting. We should be 12-4 then because that's how wrong you were last year. 3-13 only to end up 9-7. Don't bother posting your predictions again dr. doom and gloom.

better days
05-18-2015, 09:24 AM
I don't like the hire, I'm sure as hell not in stealth mode, but I'm also not going as low as 3-13.

That's a valid point, but I'm assuming (hoping?) the starter will be named after the last preseason game at the latest and will get the most reps in the practices leading up to the season opener.

I have to give you credit, Rat. You are about the only Rex HATER that has been outspoken of late.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-18-2015, 09:49 AM
That would be ideal, but it's highly unlikely.

Cassel already has a leg up on EJ because he's more experienced and more familiar with the voluminous playbook. Reports from mini-camp said Cassel looked more comfortable throwing the ball which probably had a lot to do with being at least somewhat familiar with Roman's offense.

Why would Cassel be more familiar with Roman's offense? He never played for him. Cassel might just be a quicker study after learning multiple offenses in his NFL career.

I have to give you credit, Rat. You are about the only Rex HATER that has been outspoken of late.

I'll stand up and be counted. I think Rex is overpromoted, I hate that we are switching defenses again, I think that we gave out some atrocious contracts, and I think the McCoy trade was terrible.

Bill Cody
05-18-2015, 12:14 PM
Cassell should be better right now he's way more experienced in the NFL. If by the end of camp EJ has closed the gap he will get the nod. Cassell is mediocre at best.

Ed
05-18-2015, 12:29 PM
I don't really understand why the only two options for EJ are either win the starting job, or get cut. If he gets cut his $2.4 mil cap hit is still exactly the same and his base salary is guaranteed, so they save no cap space or actual cash. He could still be a good backup, so I don't see the need/benefit to cutting him.

I don't think Cassel will win the job, or at least I hope he doesn't. He's just another Orton. A guy that's just not good enough. If EJ doesn't win the job I'd rather see Taylor get the chance and I think Rex would too.

better days
05-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Why would Cassel be more familiar with Roman's offense? He never played for him. Cassel might just be a quicker study after learning multiple offenses in his NFL career.

I'll stand up and be counted. I think Rex is overpromoted, I hate that we are switching defenses again, I think that we gave out some atrocious contracts, and I think the McCoy trade was terrible.

Yeah, Cassel has had 8 different OC's & systems in his first 7 years in the NFL.

Maybe if that number was a little less, Cassel would have had a better career.

I will count you among the Rex HATERS. I expect Rex to win you & Rat & the other HATERS over by the end of the season.

And I am undecided about the McCoy trade. Can Kiko stay healthy? Can McCoy keep producing like he has in the past? Stay tuned.

better days
05-18-2015, 01:33 PM
Tyrod's been a back-up not is a back-up, big difference. Farve was a back-up, so was Brady. It doesn't mean Tyrod will be that good but being behind great QB's doesn't mean you can't start & win.

You forgot to mention Aaron Rodgers.

Mr. Pink
05-18-2015, 01:50 PM
You forgot to mention Aaron Rodgers.

How about Brian Brohm, Rob Johnson, Jim Sorgi, Chase McDaniel, Todd Collins, Matt Flynn, Kirk Cousins, etc?

Tyrod Taylor for President

Go Frank Reich

better days
05-18-2015, 01:52 PM
How about Brian Brohm, Rob Johnson, Jim Sorgi, Chase McDaniel, Todd Collins, Matt Flynn, Kirk Cousins, etc?

Tyrod Taylor for President

Go Frank Reich

GREAT point LMAO.

NOBODY said EVERY Back up QB could start.

Mr. Pink
05-18-2015, 01:57 PM
GREAT point LMAO.

NOBODY said EVERY Back up QB could start.

It's just that people around here seem to think every player that ever gets to wear the colors is gonna turn into the next superstar. I remember a few years back people were pumped up that Brian Brohm was coming in and he must have been great because he was behind Rodgers and must have learned a few things.

Thing is pretty much all of these players turn into bums and if you're hitching your wagon to a guy who's rode the pine and hasn't shown really anything at the NFL level, you're destined to fail.

better days
05-18-2015, 02:05 PM
It's just that people around here seem to think every player that ever gets to wear the colors is gonna turn into the next superstar. I remember a few years back people were pumped up that Brian Brohm was coming in and he must have been great because he was behind Rodgers and must have learned a few things.

Thing is pretty much all of these players turn into bums and if you're hitching your wagon to a guy who's rode the pine and hasn't shown really anything at the NFL level, you're destined to fail.

Dilfer FAILED on the Bucs.

His career was a failure except for that one Super Bowl WIN.

Brad Johnson's career was a failure except for one Super Bowl win.

If Matt Cassel or EJ Manuel have failures as careers, I will be fine with that if either WINS a Super Bowl for the Bills.

trapezeus
05-18-2015, 03:44 PM
so based on the current story, if EJ could get cut and cassel doesn't have a chance at week 1 starting, the "tyrod will start" story gets stronger and stronger legs.

sudzy
05-18-2015, 04:07 PM
so based on the current story, if EJ could get cut and cassel doesn't have a chance at week 1 starting, the "tyrod will start" story gets stronger and stronger legs.

That's because Tyrod will start.

feldspar
05-18-2015, 04:35 PM
That's because Tyrod will start.

If that happens, I'll eat my hat.

Tyrod Taylor has had only 35 passing attempts in his entire NFL career, for one thing. And he's run the ball 27 times. Then we have to listen to all this hype about he's not "really" a "running QB." Sorry, but I think he is.

You put a 6th-round running QB going into his 5th year as starting QB on THIS team, with all it's talent...let's just say that I'd be none-too-happy. I'd also eat my hat.

Won't happen. I see a certain faction of the fanbase searching for hope at the position...the hype of the "unknown commodity."

I see Taylor more as a player that may see wildcat type package playing-time here or there.

sudzy
05-18-2015, 05:14 PM
If that happens, I'll eat my hat.

Tyrod Taylor has had only 35 passing attempts in his entire NFL career, for one thing. And he's run the ball 27 times. Then we have to listen to all this hype about he's not "really" a "running QB." Sorry, but I think he is.

You put a 6th-round running QB going into his 5th year as starting QB on THIS team, with all it's talent...let's just say that I'd be none-too-happy. I'd also eat my hat.

Won't happen. I see a certain faction of the fanbase searching for hope at the position...the hype of the "unknown commodity."

I see Taylor more as a player that may see wildcat type package playing-time here or there.

Would you like your hat with honey mustard or sweet and sour? Cassel is a band-aid and EJ is a bust. Taylor is the guy that Rex went after.

BillsImpossible
05-18-2015, 05:29 PM
First Vic Carucci says Cassel is a back up, and now Joe Buscaglia is saying EJ's time is up.

Process of elimination leaves Tyrod Taylor as the starter. Is that reading between the lines too much?