PDA

View Full Version : Report: EJ Manuel may not make the Bills’ 53-man roster

SpikedLemonade
05-18-2015, 12:30 PM
Report: EJ Manuel may not make the Bills’ 53-man roster

Forget spending the next three months competing for the Bills’ starting quarterback job. EJ Manuel (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8331/ej-manuel) needs to perform well over the next three months to have any job at all.

That’s the word from Joe Buscaglia of WKBW in Buffalo, who reports that Manuel may be done in Buffalo (http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-sans-progress-ej-may-be-done-in-buffalo) at the end of training camp. Buscaglia reports that the Bills would cut Manuel if they don’t see “serious progress” this spring and summer.

It seems awfully unlikely that the Bills would cut Manuel just two years after spending a first-round draft pick on him. Manuel’s contract is fully guaranteed, meaning the Bills are going to pay him the $2.8 million they still owe him for the next two years whether he’s on the team or not. In fact, his cap hit for 2015 would actually increase if the Bills cut him this year. And the Bills, who made a lot of expensive moves this offseason, only have about $7 million in cap space left......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/18/report-ej-manuel-may-not-make-the-bills-53-man-roster/

Mr. Miyagi
05-18-2015, 12:32 PM
Stupid.

SpikedLemonade
05-18-2015, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I don't agree with the report either.

There is no salary cap reason to cut him.

Albany,n.y.
05-18-2015, 12:47 PM
Tuel has nothing to do with whether Manuel stays or goes. If Manuel isn't on the team, they're going with 2 QBs.
The reason they might cut him is because the last time they had a 1st round QB bust, instead of just cutting him, they let him grow a lumberjack beard and mope on the sidelines, contributing nothing. I'd rather not see EJ looking homeless on the sidelines.

better days
05-18-2015, 01:05 PM
I like Joe Buscaglia, but I think he is way off base on this.

If EJ does not win the starting job & Rex loses all faith in him, MAYBE they trade him for a bag of footballs, but it would make no sense to cut him.

On the other hand, Rex when talking about his Coaching staff, really praised QB Coach David Lee & how much he taught Geno Smith who Rex said knew NOTHING about playing under center when the Jets drafted him.

So MAYBE even if EJ does not win the starting job, he shows enough that Rex & Roman think he will get it EVENTUALLY & just needs a little more time with GOOD Coaching.

I think Marrone & his staff really ******ed EJ's development. MAYBE he needs more time.

WagonCircler
05-18-2015, 01:13 PM
Bye bye EJ.

trapezeus
05-18-2015, 01:18 PM
i don't care. i don't think these 3 are worth fighting over. someone has to rise to the top. ideally its manuel, then tyrod, then cassell, in terms of upside and higher ceiling.

but i knew we had a weak crop of qbs and that will continue to be our achille's heel. i'm not going to hope for a miracle worker out of these three guys. but i will hope that someone can be consistent enough that we can be competitive in all 16 games and that we have a legit shot at the playoffs.

WagonCircler
05-18-2015, 01:18 PM
There may be no cap reason, but he's on the PWSL*

*Players Who Suck List

cookie G
05-18-2015, 01:27 PM
We're stuck with Matt Cassel?

lol....

better days
05-18-2015, 01:27 PM
There may be no cap reason, but he's on the PWSL*

*Players Who Suck List

Even if that is true, INJURIES happen.

If the Bills cut EJ, they still have to pay him & possibly someone to replace him after he is cut because of injuries to Cassel & Taylor.

If EJ could not be traded, the prudent thing to do would be to keep him this year.

WagonCircler
05-18-2015, 01:32 PM
Even if that is true, INJURIES happen.

If the Bills cut EJ, they still have to pay him & possibly someone to replace him after he is cut because of injuries to Cassel & Taylor.

If EJ could not be traded, the prudent thing to do would be to keep him this year.

Trade him for a sack full of deflated balls. Just get him the hell out of here.

Some idiot GM will give up a 5th for him. We can't have the only GM in the league who knows absolutely nothing about QBs.

OK, maybe we do.

But still. GTFO, EJ.

better days
05-18-2015, 01:38 PM

Some idiot GM will give up a 5th for him. We can't have the only GM in the league who knows absolutely nothing about QBs.

OK, maybe we do.

But still. GTFO, EJ.

Yeah, I said before, if Rex & Roman lose all faith in EJ, they should trade him for a bag of footballs.

We will see, but I doubt before at least a couple preseason games.

Mr. Pink
05-18-2015, 01:46 PM
What has Manuel done to show he has any trade value?

better days
05-18-2015, 01:49 PM
What has Manuel done to show he has any trade value?

NOBODY is talking about a first rnd pick.

His age and potential are worth a 6th or 7th rnd pick.

Look at the QB's drafted this year.

Mr. Pink
05-18-2015, 01:52 PM
NOBODY is talking about a first rnd pick.

His age and potential are worth a 6th or 7th rnd pick.

Look at the QB's drafted this year.

EJ and those QBs have something in common...they've all shown nothing at the NFL level.

Difference is those guys have had no opportunity to do it yet. Therefore they have more value than a 3rd year damaged goods inaccurate bum.

better days
05-18-2015, 01:55 PM
EJ and those QBs have something in common...they've all shown nothing at the NFL level.

Difference is those guys have had no opportunity to do it yet. Therefore they have more value than a 3rd year damaged goods inaccurate bum.

Well, EJ has more value than a poster that is so far in the red, he will never see green.

Bill Cody
05-18-2015, 01:56 PM
If you go bold big font does that lower his chances of sticking?

Mr. Pink
05-18-2015, 01:58 PM
Well, EJ has more value than a poster that is so far in the red, he will never see green.

Go Bill Brasky!

better days
05-18-2015, 01:59 PM
If you go bold big font does that lower his chances of sticking?

​NO

Novacane
05-18-2015, 02:08 PM
Must be a slow day. PFT reposting Joe B's opinion as news.

X-Era
05-18-2015, 02:17 PM
8 games is not enough time to draw a final conclusion. That's simply not the way to handle a rookie QB.

trapezeus
05-18-2015, 02:44 PM
i don't get the EJ hate. he won a few games, lost a few games. he never performed so consistently poorly like edwards/losman. where their flaws were just obvious and we weren't moving on. he's played 14 games. the houston game was his most annoying game, but i just didn't see orton do any better. and seeing how lost hackett and marrone were, it seems odd to hate EJ.

i think he has limited upside at this point, but you have to see his 20 games.

but i think it makes sense, if he can't beat out cassell and tyrod, he probably shouldn't be here.

better days
05-18-2015, 02:49 PM
i don't get the EJ hate. he won a few games, lost a few games. he never performed so consistently poorly like edwards/losman. where their flaws were just obvious and we weren't moving on. he's played 14 games. the houston game was his most annoying game, but i just didn't see orton do any better. and seeing how lost hackett and marrone were, it seems odd to hate EJ.

i think he has limited upside at this point, but you have to see his 20 games.

but i think it makes sense, if he can't beat out cassell and tyrod, he probably shouldn't be here.

IMO, Orton looked much worse in the Raider loss than EJ did in the Texans loss.

gr8slayer
05-18-2015, 03:07 PM
This would be such a Bills move...

sudzy
05-18-2015, 04:06 PM
What has EJ done to be guaranteed a roster spot? Nothing. If he has another preseason like last year, it's time to move on.

better days
05-18-2015, 04:33 PM
What has EJ done to be guaranteed a roster spot? Nothing. If he has another preseason like last year, it's time to move on.

EJ has a GUARANTEED salary that says he will be a Bill unless they can trade him.

sudzy
05-18-2015, 05:07 PM
EJ has a GUARANTEED salary that says he will be a Bill unless they can trade him.

Well there's something to proud of. My team has to keep me because it will cost too much to cut me.

better days
05-18-2015, 05:19 PM
Well there's something to proud of. My team has to keep me because it will cost too much to cut me.

It is what it is as they say.

And I would bet there are plenty of players on teams because of that exact situation.

SpikedLemonade
05-18-2015, 05:19 PM
I don't know if EJ will show enough progress this year to start each game and leave no doubt who our QB is the following year, but you have to suspect that he was not developed properly by Hackett and the other morons.

EJ may simply not have it, but I wish they would have simply stuck with him these past 2 years so we would know by now.

What did we really gain by starting the other QBs over the past 2 years?

The Dolphins, in contrast, look brilliant for being patient with Tannehill.

JohnnyGold
05-18-2015, 05:23 PM
I have a GREAT feeling about EJ this year.

I think he's really going to light it up in this offense, and we will be counting our lucky stars by mid-october that we have such a good qb.

He has basically come out and said that Marrone and Hackett limited what he could do, and told him to avoid running. Thats such a valuable part of his game, and something that Roman will give him full reign to do. Flat out he is a mobile quarterback, and his ability to use that speed will help us so much. When you throw in the fact that we have the best running back in the league to take pressure off of him... Passing the ball can be EJs 3rd choice every time he steps to the line, and when he does, he has great options to throw to. When you combine the playmaking ability of Clay, Harvin, and Watkins, then figure that woods is a solid #2 and goodwin can stretch any defense and take the top completely off, you see that this is a team that is built to be explosive. There is no way on Gods Green Earth that this is a team that will have Matt Cassel under center. If it's not EJ its Tyrod, but it will be EJ by quite a bit over him.

*****... hold on to your tits. With the weapons we have on offense... plus the defense we have... and a special teams unit that is rock solid... plus, catching the pats without brady 1x lessens the burden of those first 2 home games, and adds to our advantage of having the last 2 at home... this is a team that could easily go 12-4, 13-3. If that happens, and EJ plays well... he could be the league MVP.

Zoneblitser
05-18-2015, 05:31 PM
I applaud this staff for recognizing EJ has short comings that need to improve or else they will move on. How many other coaching regimes have we had in buffalo that were forced to make do with what was on the roster because of the financials. I like EJ as a person but maybe besides his mechanics he just is having trouble with picking up this much more complicated system than Hacketts high school playbook. Sometimes you need to amputate a limb in order to heal. Knowing when is always a decision best left in the hands of experts.

Buffalogic
05-18-2015, 05:31 PM
EJ Sucks. Jason Campbell 2.0 but worse.

BillsImpossible
05-18-2015, 05:39 PM

I think he's really going to light it up in this offense, and we will be counting our lucky stars by mid-october that we have such a good qb.

He has basically come out and said that Marrone and Hackett limited what he could do, and told him to avoid running. Thats such a valuable part of his game, and something that Roman will give him full reign to do. Flat out he is a mobile quarterback, and his ability to use that speed will help us so much. When you throw in the fact that we have the best running back in the league to take pressure off of him... Passing the ball can be EJs 3rd choice every time he steps to the line, and when he does, he has great options to throw to. When you combine the playmaking ability of Clay, Harvin, and Watkins, then figure that woods is a solid #2 and goodwin can stretch any defense and take the top completely off, you see that this is a team that is built to be explosive. There is no way on Gods Green Earth that this is a team that will have Matt Cassel under center. If it's not EJ its Tyrod, but it will be EJ by quite a bit over him.

*****... hold on to your tits. With the weapons we have on offense... plus the defense we have... and a special teams unit that is rock solid... plus, catching the pats without brady 1x lessens the burden of those first 2 home games, and adds to our advantage of having the last 2 at home... this is a team that could easily go 12-4, 13-3. If that happens, and EJ plays well... he could be the league MVP.

I agree with everything except EJ winning the competition.

Mr. Miyagi
05-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Bye bye EJ.
Wish we could say the same to you.

BillsImpossible
05-18-2015, 06:19 PM
Wish we could say the same to you.

That wasn't nice, Mr. Miyagi.

WagonCircler
05-18-2015, 06:34 PM

Terry Pegula has the money in the cup holder in the front seat of his SUV to pay off that contract.

BillsImpossible
05-18-2015, 06:58 PM
http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-sans-progress-ej-may-be-done-in-buffalo

The simple truth is this: as he is currently constructed, Manuel is not an accurate enough quarterback to thrive as a starting quarterback in the National Football League.

He misses throws that players starting at his position make without hesitation. There are times where he gets completions from inaccurate passes, but it takes the receiver so off course that it crushes any hope of legitimate yards after the catch.
This isn't a new phenomenon for him, either. The inaccurate quarterback Bills fans have seen for two years is the same one that started at Florida State University for four seasons.

BertSquirtgum
05-18-2015, 07:08 PM

OK, maybe we do.

But still. GTFO, EJ.

You have crossed the line into unhealthy obsession over getting rid of EJ. Did he suck? Sure. Might he pull his head out of his ass? Maybe. There's no reason to not allow to a chance to prove himself one more time. The Bills have nothing else going for them at the quarterback position.

Joe Fo Sho
05-18-2015, 08:01 PM

Something...something...Jay Cutler...something

WagonCircler
05-18-2015, 08:46 PM
You have crossed the line into unhealthy obsession over getting rid of EJ. Did he suck? Sure. Might he pull his head out of his ass? Maybe. There's no reason to not allow to a chance to prove himself one more time. The Bills have nothing else going for them at the quarterback position.

Here's the thing. Because EJ is on the roster, and Doug Whaley puts his own ego and reputation above that of the team, the Bills have not drafted a QB SINCE EJ, despite having the worst QB situation in the league.

As long as EJ is here, that idiot will keep trying to force the square peg into the round hole, and the playoff drought will continue.

Kyle Orton. Matt Cassell. Could Jared Lorenzen be far behind? Maybe a return engagement for Brian Brohm or Vince Young? These are Whaley's half-assed solutions to the massive, gaping hole at the most important position on the team. Oh wait, I almost forgot, trade away the teams #1 draft choices for Wide Receiver for EJ to overthrow.

The one with the unhealthy obsession is Doug Whaley.

Night Train
05-19-2015, 03:28 AM
Rex is full speed ahead and the QB position burned him before. No more waiting for the light to go on for Manuel.

The team is now deep at RB, WR & TE...so the QB needs to get them the ball consistently.

I read and heard Rex on radio with his 1st impressions of the trio after Vet OTA's. Cassel made his reads immediately and got the ball out fast. Taylor escaped the rush and still hit his passes, many of them long balls. Manuel was a second late delivering the ball, still trying to process information.

Some team would take him on for future considerations but one has to know when it's time to cut bait. I don't hate the guy but the organization doesn't stay in park waiting for 1 guy while the skill positions on Offense have been improved and a good D is already in place.

Root for the laundry rather than being right about certain players. New owner and coaching staff. I'm done living in the past. This is a new era.

YardRat
05-19-2015, 04:58 AM
There is no use cutting EJ, even if he gets smoked by Cassel and Taylor in the QB competition. He will only be replaced by somebody else who is going to occupy his spot on the inactive list on Sundays. If we had used a draft pick on a kid QB that could be thrown into the development process that would be a different story, but we didn't.

GingerP
05-19-2015, 05:55 AM
Manuel's contract was reported to be fully guaranteed. There is offset language, but still the Bills are on the hook for anything he doesn't get if he signs with another team over the next 2 years if they cut him.

It is hard to imagine the Bills will eat the last 2 years of his contract, unless he is so completely terrible that there is no hope. He'd have to be Tebow bad. I get that he has been hesitant to throw into tight windows and checks down too much, and I understand that his accuracy isn't what you would hope, but he has shown enough to wait and see how he develops with the new system/coaches (at least when you consider the contract).

k-oneputt
05-19-2015, 08:08 AM
http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-sans-progress-ej-may-be-done-in-buffalo

The simple truth is this: as he is currently constructed, Manuel is not an accurate enough quarterback to thrive as a starting quarterback in the National Football League.

He misses throws that players starting at his position make without hesitation. There are times where he gets completions from inaccurate passes, but it takes the receiver so off course that it crushes any hope of legitimate yards after the catch.
This isn't a new phenomenon for him, either. The inaccurate quarterback Bills fans have seen for two years is the same one that started at Florida State University for four seasons.

Well no s***.
Didn't we fire those scouts who were in on the EJ bandwagon.
There were some here who tried to warn against drafting him.
Just turn on your tv during his 4yrs at FSU, that should have been all you needed to see.

trapezeus
05-19-2015, 08:17 AM
he just has a cheap contract and injuries can pile up. we also don't know about our line. it's not out of the question to have 2 qb's go down.

if ej was a high priced vet, then yeah, cut him. but EJ has been a good soldier going back in the depth chart.

i think you can do worse than ej if you are looking for an emergency qb.

better days
05-19-2015, 08:36 AM
Just turn on your tv during his 4yrs at FSU, that should have been all you needed to see.

Well, if you turned on your TV when EJ was at FSU, you saw him win every bowl game he played in.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-19-2015, 08:59 AM
Listen to Rex's new interview on radios today, I'm surprised by his comment that "EJ will be part of the team" in a matter of fact manner.

Topas
05-19-2015, 09:21 AM

errhm, what? Are you EJs dad?

I agree that the EJ hatred may be a bit overblown. But league MVP?
And also I dont think it is a good thing if you have a QB where only the third option is to actually pass the ball, as you outlined. I do understand the concept of establishing the run and so on and so on. But well, you know, throwing the ball is the one thing that these QB guys are paid to do.

And I am not sure if it is such a safe bet that Cassel is not starting. The guys want to go to the playoffs this year. My guess is that Tyrod will start. But it's just that ... a guess.

WagonCircler
05-19-2015, 09:29 AM
Well, if you turned on your TV when EJ was at FSU, you saw him win every bowl game he played in.

I believe Tebow did that, too, at FLA.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-19-2015, 09:55 AM
Rex drafted Mark Sanchez, extended him, brought in Tim Tebow, drafted Geno Smith, and brought in Michael Vick

Roman drafted Colin Kaepernick, extended him, and brought in Blaine Gabbert

The idea that these guys are going to cut the cord on under-performing high draft pick QBs doesn't really jibe with their history.

justasportsfan
05-19-2015, 09:58 AM

but what I saw when I turned on my TV to watch EJ play for the bills was another Rob Johnson.

This is coming from someone who wanted EJ out of all the qb's in his class.

better days
05-19-2015, 10:41 AM
I believe Tebow did that, too, at FLA.

YES he did. As well as playoff games in the NFL.

k-oneputt
05-19-2015, 11:14 AM

Sure did. A mediocre Big East West Virg team, two five loss teams in South Caro and Notre Dame, and N.Illin.
Big deal.
Any qb on their roster would have won those games.

Bottom line is the guy can't hit a wide open wr in the NFL.
And that is a huge problem in this league because wide open is a small window unlike those ten yd. openings he would see at FSU.

gr8slayer
05-19-2015, 01:31 PM
I don't know if EJ will show enough progress this year to start each game and leave no doubt who our QB is the following year, but you have to suspect that he was not developed properly by Hackett and the other morons.

EJ may simply not have it, but I wish they would have simply stuck with him these past 2 years so we would know by now.

What did we really gain by starting the other QBs over the past 2 years?

The Dolphins, in contrast, look brilliant for being patient with Tannehill.

Great post.

swiper
05-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Great post.

Why? Tannehill isn't great, but he's clearly cut from a better cloth than EJ Manuel - the worst #1 pick since Mike Williams.

SpikedLemonade
05-19-2015, 04:54 PM
Why? Tannehill isn't great, but he's clearly cut from a better cloth than EJ Manuel - the worst #1 pick since Mike Williams.

Mike Williams drafted in 2002 (4th) at least started a few years for the Bills.

I would have to go with Aaron Maybin drafted in 2009 (11th) who did absolutely nothing for the Bills.

MillsapsBillsFan
05-20-2015, 10:04 AM

Theres no way you can possibly think that EJ Manuel was a worse #1 pick than Aaron Maybin.

gr8slayer
05-20-2015, 11:16 AM

It wasn't always that way, Tannehill has come a long way to get to where he is. I think it's ridiculous to claim that Manuel is a savior or a bust with such a small sample size. The Bills will never find the QB of the future if they just keep getting rid of young QB's after a handful of games.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-20-2015, 12:03 PM
Theres no way you can possibly think that EJ Manuel was a worse #1 pick than Aaron Maybin.

Or John McCargo