PDA

View Full Version : P.A.T's approved kicked from 15 yd. line...2 pt. conversions remain at 2 yd. line

DetDannyWilliams
05-19-2015, 04:24 PM
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that PATs will now be kicked from the 15-yard-line with two-point conversions remaining at the 2-yard-line. The new rule also gives the defense the ability to score on returns, per a source.

​http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/0ap3000000493347/article/nfl-moves-pats-to-the-15yard-line-2point-conversions-to-2

casdhf
05-19-2015, 04:43 PM
This is a horrible idea. I hate it immediately.

Buffalogic
05-19-2015, 05:57 PM
It's actually good news for our team. We have a good kicker and a lot of players with the ability to block kicks. Bills will definitely convert at least 2 points from defending an extra point this year.

bdutton
05-19-2015, 05:57 PM
Good. PAT's are boring.

OpIv37
05-19-2015, 06:24 PM
I wonder if this means more teams will go for 2 in bad weather. The general rule for FG's is you add 17 yards to the LOS- 10 for the end zone and 7 because the kicker sets up 7 yards behind the line. So, XP's are now 32 yard field goals. In domes or good weather, that's a chip shot for an NFL kicker. If the weather's bad enough, though, punching it in from the 2 may be the higher percentage play.

OpIv37
05-19-2015, 06:25 PM
It's actually good news for our team. We have a good kicker and a lot of players with the ability to block kicks. Bills will definitely convert at least 2 points from defending an extra point this year.

I think it's far more likely that we botch an XP or two over the course of the season. Blocking kicks is incredibly hard, and even if we get one, a clean recovery and running it back is no guarantee.

feldspar
05-19-2015, 06:57 PM
I wonder how this will influence point spreads in Vegas.

Skooby
05-19-2015, 07:31 PM
This is going to make the Super Bowl squares with 2 / 5 / 8 become more favorable.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-20-2015, 08:38 AM
I consider it a win for defense and teams who can run the ball - like the team Rex wants to build. Ask any coach, the ability to run the ball, especially power run, is huge there. Then you add the fact an INT allows the D to score points as well ...

OpIv37
05-20-2015, 08:47 AM
I consider it a win for defense and teams who can run the ball - like the team Rex wants to build. Ask any coach, the ability to run the ball, especially power run, is huge there. Then you add the fact an INT allows the D to score points as well ...
If Rex wants to run, why did he spend so big on fancy new toys while neglecting the OL?

feldspar
05-20-2015, 09:05 AM
If Rex wants to run, why did he spend so big on fancy new toys while neglecting the OL?

Maybe it's not what you wanted, but two new starters on the o-line doesn't exactly equal neglect. Yeah, yeah...there is the risk with both those guys, I know. Lots of things different that could change the quality of play on the OL this year, ask me. If they suck, I'll concede that later, but I'm not convinced that they will suck right now. Hope springs eternal in the offseason...well, maybe not for you.

Night Train
05-20-2015, 09:13 AM
That really favors dome/warm weather teams.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-20-2015, 09:20 AM

Why?

Anyway, there were 1293 TDs scored last regular season and by my count 8 missed XP kicks. If the XP rule drops the conversion % to 90, a # I've seen quoted, and coaches go for the XP kick 80% of the time, that would be over 100 missed XPs. That could have a serious effect on defensive numbers over time and certainly on close games.

justasportsfan
05-20-2015, 09:21 AM
Funny how I read the title with "P.A.T's " I automatically thought, what else did they get caught cheating on again?

Typ0
05-20-2015, 09:23 AM
It's really going to take some getting used to. A team tries to kick an xtra point it gets returned that's a 2 point swing in the score. These rule changes are very interesting and going to change the complexion of games a lot if you ask me. There also will be more injuries and more missed 1 pointers....

feldspar
05-20-2015, 09:25 AM

I don't know about that.

BOTH teams are playing in that same dome on game-day...did you think that one through? A cold-weather open-stadium kicker is less likely to kick an extra point in a dome or warm weather than the home team's kicker? C'mon now.

Kickers just got a little bit more important now. If anything, it's the guys that are used to kicking in the elements that have the advantage. It's harder for dome guys to be kicking in the weather than it is the other way around, you would think. But a good kicker is a good kicker, on the other hand. I think we have a good kicker, so **** the rest of them.

GreedoII
05-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Just get rid of it and make a td 7 points and move on. Make the 2 point conversion for 9 pts and put it at the 10 yd line and teams can risk not getting the "extra" point. Make me the commissioner right now!

IlluminatusUIUC
05-20-2015, 09:28 AM
I don't know about that.

BOTH teams are playing in that same dome on game-day...did you think that one through? A cold-weather open-stadium kicker is less likely to kick an extra point in a dome or warm weather than the home team's kicker? C'mon now.

Kickers just got a little bit more important now. If anything, it's the guys that are used to kicking in the elements that have the advantage. It's harder for dome guys to be kicking in the weather than it is the other way around, you would think. But a good kicker is a good kicker, on the other hand. I hunk we have a good kicker, so **** the rest of them.

True, but you could negate or minimize a weak kicker by attempting the conversion. Unless it's the 4th and the scoring scenarios are known, you should go for it if you think your offense converts it more than half as often as the kicker would.

Typ0
05-20-2015, 09:31 AM
It might trigger teams actually carring two place kickers more often....which means field goal attempts will get longer as well. Interesting implications. A guy that is spot on accurate inside the 35 but can't kick longer you would want on your team....

Typ0
05-20-2015, 09:33 AM
Oh here is a serious biggie and future consideration....it completely throws off EVERYONE's analytics. Historical data is quite tainted because the scoring has changed. Is this a strategy by the NFL to maintain some randomness in the games????

ghz in pittsburgh
05-20-2015, 09:44 AM

Let's wait to see what transpires with what we got in OL. I mentioned in another thread some time ago. I don't think the Bills neglected O-Line. This past two years they invested 3 out of 7 picks on O-Line and a mide level FA in one year; a 3rd round pick this year + another FA. You can't say they neglect. You may argue their investment is not very good.

Gilly
05-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Still think the three they drafted last year have good chance to become long term starters for us....

Kujo is still only 21 younger than Glenn when we drafted him..

He will be a stud..

MillsapsBillsFan
05-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Not that it happens a whole lot anymore regardless, but you can now officially say goodbye to fake field goals for 2 point conversions

Typ0
05-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Not that it happens a whole lot anymore regardless, but you can now officially say goodbye to fake field goals for 2 point conversions

Hmmmm.....good point. The LOS is now different. Can they line up for the 2 pt conversion and then kick it through?

gebobs
05-20-2015, 02:34 PM
The NBA should take note and do something - ANYTHING - about free throws.

notacon
05-20-2015, 03:00 PM

Actually, I think it does exactly the opposite.

Since every team plays every game in the same conditions, when a game is played in a dome, both teams have the easier time of making a kick from 13 yards further away.

When a dome team plays in a bad weather city, like Buffalo, they will be at a disadvantage because their team is not used to playing in such difficult conditions as the home team.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-20-2015, 04:37 PM
Its days like this that I am happy Jake Arians has not been our kicker in 14 years.

trapezeus
05-21-2015, 04:05 PM
i wonder how vegas changes the spreads. they have no data to go on, but maybe looking at 33 yard field goals over the course of the season. imagine they need to take this into account plus the unknown of when coaches will go for 2 knowing that it is much closer to endzone.

especially late in the season.

Typ0
05-22-2015, 10:57 AM
i wonder how vegas changes the spreads. they have no data to go on, but maybe looking at 33 yard field goals over the course of the season. imagine they need to take this into account plus the unknown of when coaches will go for 2 knowing that it is much closer to endzone.

especially late in the season.

The spreads work on the way people are betting not game factors...they try and make the spreads such that people bet on both sides equally then they win all the ties and make a killing.