PDA

View Full Version : 4 reasons Buffalo’s D won’t miss a beat without Marcel Dareus in season opener

Meathead
05-22-2015, 06:15 PM
Buffalo Bills defensive tackle Marcel Dareus was suspended one game by the NFL on Thursday, meaning the Pro Bowler will sit out the season opener against Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts. Anytime the high-powered Indy offense is coming to town, it’s worrisome to lose arguably your best player in an elite defense. A closer look however reveals that Buffalo’s D may be just fine on opening day.

http://nysportsbiz.com/2015/05/22/4-reasons-buffalos-d-wont-miss-a-beat-without-marcel-dareus-in-season-opener/

might be the best player on the whole team so its a big loss but the article makes some good pts

YardRat
05-22-2015, 06:39 PM
That's a little more than glass-is-half-full analysis. Obviously I'm of the opinion the defense is starting out missing a few beats anyway, losing Dareus only makes it worse. Hoping Indy doesn't run the ball effectively or basically an entirely new defensive line can step it up seems like asking for too much.

better days
05-22-2015, 06:44 PM
I wish someone could explain to me how Dareus can be the top ranked tackle at stopping the run & have double digit sacks yet have 20 tackles rated ahead of him.

better days
05-22-2015, 06:48 PM
That's a little more than glass-is-half-full analysis. Obviously I'm of the opinion the defense is starting out missing a few beats anyway, losing Dareus only makes it worse. Hoping Indy doesn't run the ball effectively or basically an entirely new defensive line can step it up seems like asking for too much.

So who exactly is new on the DL Rat?

Seems to be the exact same players that have been on the team & played in the same defense in 2013 to me.

YardRat
05-22-2015, 06:52 PM
So who exactly is new on the DL Rat?

Seems to be the exact same players that have been on the team & played in the same defense in 2013 to me.

There's going to be a 'new' DE replacing Dareus for the Indy game. There's going to be a new DE opposite him. There should be a new NT to replace Kyle, if not as a starter I'm speculating he'll be rotated out more this season. There will be times when there are three guys manning the line at the same time that wouldn't have in the past two seasons.

better days
05-22-2015, 06:57 PM
There's going to be a 'new' DE replacing Dareus for the Indy game. There's going to be a new DE opposite him. There should be a new NT to replace Kyle, if not as a starter I'm speculating he'll be rotated out more this season. There will be times when there are three guys manning the line at the same time that wouldn't have in the past two seasons.

But every player on the DL will be playing the same position he played at least a little in 2013.

I would agree that Dareus's replacement can be called second tier or back up, but whoever it is they are not new.

And I would expect Carrington, Charles & Bryant to share the load.

Night Train
05-22-2015, 06:59 PM
At this rate, we could discuss every game and some could justify the Bills going 0-16.

This just in. This team has talent too.

Blindly explaining every opponents greatness is as slanted as the so-called "homer" moniker thrown at any Bills fan.

The Colts are hardly road warriors.

YardRat
05-22-2015, 07:15 PM
At this rate, we could discuss every game and some could justify the Bills going 0-16.

This just in. This team has talent too.

Blindly explaining every opponents greatness is as slanted as the so-called "homer" moniker thrown at any Bills fan.

The Colts are hardly road warriors.

I don't think anybody in this thread has even remotely addressed 'how great' Indy is.

Buffalo still has a chance, even without Dareus...nobody that I know of is chalking up the opener as an automatic loss.

Night Train
05-22-2015, 07:28 PM
I don't think anybody in this thread has even remotely addressed 'how great' Indy is.

Buffalo still has a chance, even without Dareus...nobody that I know of is chalking up the opener as an automatic loss.
"0-1. We couldn't beat the ****ing Raiders without Dareus. No way we beat the Colts."

BillsImpossible
05-22-2015, 07:38 PM
What makes this thread so interesting is how nobody really knows who's going to be playing where on the front 7 for the Bills defense.

3-4 or 4-3? Is Mario Williams going to be a linebacker, or defensive end? Is Kyle Williams going to play the nose, or defensive end?

Stefan Charles? Oh Canada...

Jerry Hughes? DE or LB?

A combination of both? I don't think the Colts will be able to stop Rex Ryan's best defense yet.

Dareus' 1 game suspension might seem minimal, but if the Bills dominate the Colts with their defense without him, that $100 million plus contract could get put on the side burner.

Meathead
05-22-2015, 07:50 PM
yeah i dont think so. marcell has arrived as an elite talent and the bills will pay him. maybe a little discount for his personal history but its still gonna be massive

better days
05-22-2015, 09:58 PM
"0-1. We couldn't beat the ****ing Raiders without Dareus. No way we beat the Colts."

Last year Marrone was HC & that game was played in Oakland.

This year Rex is the HC along with an all star staff & not only is the game being played in Buffalo, but it is the OPENING DAY game!

No way in HELL the Bills lose this game.

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 02:55 AM
Buffalo Bills defensive tackle Marcel Dareus was suspended one game by the NFL on Thursday, meaning the Pro Bowler will sit out the season opener against Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts. Anytime the high-powered Indy offense is coming to town, it’s worrisome to lose arguably your best player in an elite defense. A closer look however reveals that Buffalo’s D may be just fine on opening day.

http://nysportsbiz.com/2015/05/22/4-reasons-buffalos-d-wont-miss-a-beat-without-marcel-dareus-in-season-opener/

Dareus may not matter but Duke "the ****ing ultimate liability in the pass game" Williams will matter.

Luck will hone in on that loser like stink on cheese, man.

Don't be a stupid homer.

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 02:57 AM
Duke Williams is our second worst player after EJ Manuel.

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 02:59 AM
The Colts will beat us 42-17.

better days
05-24-2015, 05:18 AM
Duke Williams is our second worst player after EJ Manuel.

Well, if you are correct, Neither of them will be on the field when the season starts.

They may not even be on the team when the season starts if you are correct.

But Luck will have a hard time completing passes while he is on the ground, & you can expect to see him there often in that game.

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 05:40 AM
Well, if you are correct, Neither of them will be on the field when the season starts.

They may not even be on the team when the season starts if you are correct.

But Luck will have a hard time completing passes while he is on the ground, & you can expect to see him there often in that game.

I don't.

He's surprisingly elusive for a Geico caveman.

better days
05-24-2015, 06:02 AM
I don't.

He's surprisingly elusive for a Geico caveman.

Well, Rex is GOOD at having his defense get to the QB.

You will be proven wrong.

YardRat
05-24-2015, 06:08 AM
I still think Duke is going to be a decent player.

better days
05-24-2015, 06:28 AM

I think so as well.

The Bills had a plan when they let Searcy walk & that plan included Duke.

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 06:31 AM
Well, Rex is GOOD at having his defense get to the QB.

You will be proven wrong.

Haha, you're wrong about 90% of the time, brother.

You sure you want to make that guarantee?

better days
05-24-2015, 06:32 AM
Haha, you're wrong about 90% of the time, brother.

You sure you want to make that guarantee?

LMAO.

I am right far more often than I have been wrong.

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 06:35 AM

****ing why?

On what plane of logic does that make sense?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/facepalm-1.jpg

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 06:37 AM
LMAO.

I am right far more often than I have been wrong.

Uh... you whiffed on Tom Brady's decline and the Patriots decline.

You're wrong about virtually everything. I'll have to go through the archives but you have the credibility of your average dimwit.

better days
05-24-2015, 06:50 AM
Uh... you whiffed on Tom Brady's decline and the Patriots decline.

You're wrong about virtually everything. I'll have to go through the archives but you have the credibility of your average dimwit.

OK, I will admit I did not take into account the FACT that Brady & the Pats* would continue to CHEAT.

But I also wanted the Bills to draft Russell Wilson & there were not many people that were clamoring for that.

And when Pettine left many people said the Bills were DOOMED.

I said the Bills would continue to have a GOOD defense with Schwartz.

Go through the archives. For everything you find I was wrong about I will find two that I was right about.

better days
05-24-2015, 06:58 AM
****ing why?

On what plane of logic does that make sense?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/facepalm-1.jpg

How about the fact Duke played about 50% of the snaps instead of Searcy last year while Searcy who just got paid a lot of money by the Titans was available to play.

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 07:01 AM
How about the fact Duke played about 50% of the snaps instead of Searcy last year while Searcy who just got paid a lot of money by the Titans was available to play.

How does Searcy's paycheck make Duke not a huge liability???

And if you dispute that I very much doubt you've ever watched a Bills game.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I will admit I did not take into account the FACT that Brady & the Pats* would continue to CHEAT.

But I also wanted the Bills to draft Russell Wilson & there were not many people that were clamoring for that.

And when Pettine left many people said the Bills were DOOMED.

I said the Bills would continue to have a GOOD defense with Schwartz.

Go through the archives. For everything you find I was wrong about I will find two that I was right about.

No, you suck and you're always wrong about the Bills.

I'd bet my life on it.

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 07:03 AM

I did too.

Over that loser TJ Graham.

Didn't take a lot of foresight.

better days
05-24-2015, 07:05 AM
How does Searcy's paycheck make Duke not a huge liability???

And if you dispute that I very much doubt you've ever watched a Bills game.

- - - Updated - - -

No, you suck and you're always wrong about the Bills.

I'd bet my life on it.

FU. Go to the archives And show where I am wrong.

Like I said for every time you show I was wrong, I will find two times I was right.

And the fact is the Titans thought enough of Searcy to pay him a lot of money, yet the Bills played Duke about half the time in games when they could have had Searcy play 100% of the time.

better days
05-24-2015, 07:10 AM
I did too.

Over that loser TJ Graham.

Didn't take a lot of foresight.

My ass.

Few people wanted the Bills to draft Wilson.

I probably posted more than anyone that the Bills should draft him.

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 07:19 AM
Oh better days you're cute when you're angry about being the most short-sighted, incorrect Bills fan of all eternity.

The ultimate homer.

The ultimate blinders.

We don't hate you for it.

We just wish you'd use your brain once in a while.

better days
05-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Oh better days you're cute when you're angry about being the most short-sighted, incorrect Bills fan of all eternity.

The ultimate homer.

The ultimate blinders.

We don't hate you for it.

We just wish you'd use your brain once in a while.

I will admit to being a Homer.

If others take pleasure in looking at the glass as half empty, that is their choice, I prefer to look at it as half full.

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 07:42 AM
My ass.

Few people wanted the Bills to draft Wilson.

I probably posted more than anyone that the Bills should draft him.

Archive, buddy.

Either here or buffalo range.

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 07:44 AM
I will admit to being a Homer.

If others take pleasure in looking at the glass as half empty, that is their choice, I prefer to look at it as half full.

And being a homer makes you short sighted and stupid, with -- a side effect -- short term memory loss.

You don't appear cognizant of the fact you're usually wrong about everything.

Which strikes me as weird.

better days
05-24-2015, 07:45 AM
And being a homer makes you short sighted and stupid, with -- a side effect -- short term memory loss.

You don't appear cognizant of the fact you're usually wrong about everything.

Which strikes me as weird.

Well, quit talking out your ass & show us all the times I was wrong.

Like I said, I will show plenty of times I was right.

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 08:06 AM
Well, quit talking out your ass & show us all the times I was wrong.

Like I said, I will show plenty of times I was right.

Dude, it would take years to compile all your horrifically misguided opinions.

I work for a living but thankfully there are dozens of posters that will vouch for me over your total lack of credibility.

better days
05-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Dude, it would take years to compile all your horrifically misguided opinions.

I work for a living but thankfully there are dozens of posters that will vouch for me over your total lack of credibility.

Like you those posters know jack.

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Like you those posters know jack.

LOL says the guy who said EJ would be the franchise.

Zero cred, buddy.

I like you. But you can't evaluate football for ****.

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 08:20 AM
But hey what do I know.

I'm a boxing guy at heart.

Maybe you're right and EJ is the second coming of Tom Brady!

better days
05-24-2015, 08:22 AM
LOL says the guy who said EJ would be the franchise.

Zero cred, buddy.

I like you. But you can't evaluate football for ****.

OK jack, pull up the post where I said that.

You are talking out your ASS AGAIN.

I NEVER claimed that would be the case.

And the year EJ was drafted, I wanted the Bills to draft Mike Glennon.

better days
05-24-2015, 08:33 AM
Archive, buddy.

Either here or buffalo range.

I never posted a single time at the range.

I lurked there a little reading that board, but not even that very often.

The only other board I posted on was Two Bills Drive until I was banned from that board for continuing to say Trent Edwards SUCKED after I was told to cease & desist from picking on Trent.

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 08:39 AM
I never posted a single time at the range.

I lurked there a little reading that board, but not even that very often.

The only other board I posted on was Two Bills Drive until I was banned from that board for continuing to say Trent Edwards SUCKED after I was told to cease & desist from picking on Trent.

Your loss, BR was fun in it's hay day.

better days
05-24-2015, 08:45 AM
Your loss, BR was fun in it's hay day.

I did not find it until it started going down I think.

I was always on Two Bills Drive before they banned me.

Then I found this board & I love that people can give crap to each other on this board without worry of being banned.

I still read Two Bills Drive & the Official Bills board, but this is the only Bills board I post on.

And oh yeah, I was RIGHT about Trent Edwards. He SUCKED.

JoeMama
05-24-2015, 08:54 AM
I did not find it until it started going down I think.

I was always on Two Bills Drive before they banned me.

Then I found this board & I love that people can give crap to each other on this board without worry of being banned.

I still read Two Bills Drive & the Official Bills board, but this is the only Bills board I post on.

And oh yeah, I was RIGHT about Trent Edwards. He SUCKED.

On that we agree.

You may want to PM WagonCircler on that. You may find a new friend if he finds that out.

Ed
05-26-2015, 12:06 PM
That's a great picture from the article. I've never seen that before, but Dareus literally has Luck by the throat.

As for the article itself, I think the author is greatly underestimating the impact Dareus has in defending the pass. He's not just a run stuffer that also gets some sacks. He creates constant pressure and havoc up the middle on almost every passing play. His loss is significant, but I trust Rex's creativity and defensive prowess to still be able to come up with a solid scheme to defend Luck.

I also don't see Duke Williams starting at Safety. I think they'll move Corey Graham.

better days
05-26-2015, 01:07 PM
That's a great picture from the article. I've never seen that before, but Dareus literally has Luck by the throat.

As for the article itself, I think the author is greatly underestimating the impact Dareus has in defending the pass. He's not just a run stuffer that also gets some sacks. He creates constant pressure and havoc up the middle on almost every passing play. His loss is significant, but I trust Rex's creativity and defensive prowess to still be able to come up with a solid scheme to defend Luck.

I also don't see Duke Williams starting at Safety. I think they'll move Corey Graham.

Knowing how Rex likes to mix it up, I think Cory & Duke will both see time at safety.

Historian
05-27-2015, 05:29 AM
This is going to hurt, no doubt in my mind.

I had this game penciled in as a close victory, but this suspension tips the scale the other way for me.

I'm thinking a 17-14 loss.

Just when is baby Huey going to grow up???