PDA

View Full Version : Article: 'Buffalo Bills: Five Reasons why “Ground n’ Pound” Gameplan is a Bluff'

swiper
05-24-2015, 05:05 AM
http://isportsweb.com/2015/05/23/buffalo-bills-five-reasons-why-ground-n-pound-gameplan-is-a-bluff/

Bills fans are growing nervous after listening to the overwhelming “run first and run often” rhetoric given by Head Coach Rex Ryan. With the addition of LeSean McCoy to a crowded background that consists of Fred Jackson, Anthony Dixon, Bryce Brown and rookie Karlos Williams, it is easy to become brain-washed by the ground and pound mentality that Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman is known for as well. To make matters worse, an uncertain quarterback situation that will be filled by a “decent” player at the most, doesn’t quite scream aerial assault either.

Strangely enough, the Bills have five players that provide a more than enough talent to limit the team’s reliance on the running game.

SpikedLemonade
05-24-2015, 05:49 AM
It may very well be a bluff. Having a RB like Shady and a weak OL certainly do not look ground and pound.

YardRat
05-24-2015, 06:12 AM
Considering the investment in receivers and TE's over the last couple of seasons full-out ground and pound would be a massive waste of resources.

OpIv37
05-24-2015, 06:17 AM
Considering the investment in receivers and TE's over the last couple of seasons full-out ground and pound would be a massive waste of resources.

Considering the lack of resources devoted to the OL, ground and pound won't be possible

Skooby
05-24-2015, 06:19 AM
Considering the lack of resources devoted to the OL, ground and pound won't be possible

It partially depends on a rookie & a vet who hasn't played in a while.

Typ0
05-24-2015, 06:30 AM

I kind of disagree with this if we can change the nuance of ground and pound to pound from the LOS. Lot's of screens and short passes mixed into the run game might be our best chance ....

SpikedLemonade
05-24-2015, 07:19 AM

I believe you are referring to 32 year old Incognito and 3rd round draft pick Miller.

What about the dependency on Glenn who perhaps due to illness had a sub par year last year?

What about the dependency on never been a Pro Bowler Wood who had difficulty anchoring consistently last year?

What about the dependency on Henderson who PFF had ranked 82 out of 84 OTs despite his 1086 snaps?

What about the back up dependency on below average Chris Williams who had a back injury last year plus 2 rookie OLs who barely saw the field last year?

What about the dependency on Urbik to start?

Nothing about the above screams ground and pound.

better days
05-24-2015, 08:01 AM
I believe you are referring to 32 year old Incognito and 3rd round draft pick Miller.

What about the dependency on Glenn who perhaps due to illness had a sub par year last year?

What about the dependency on never been a Pro Bowler Wood who had difficulty anchoring consistently last year?

What about the dependency on Henderson who PFF had ranked 82 out of 84 OTs despite his 1086 snaps?

What about the back up dependency on below average Chris Williams who had a back injury last year plus 2 rookie OLs who barely saw the field last year?

The only way Chris Williams makes the team is they are concerned about a Williams shortage.

BillsImpossible
05-24-2015, 03:42 PM

Incognito will be better than the guards from last year. His body should be well rested. He did go to the Pro Bowl, so it's not like he's a scrub.

Miller has already impressed the coaches.

Two new solid guards are going to make Eric Wood the player he was in 2013 and the years before. He had a bad year in 2014 because of the lack of talent playing next to him.

Cordy Glenn had no off season conditioning in 2014 because of his illness. He played the season, but he wasn't the same left tackle he was before health problems caused him to miss a lot of workouts. He missed all of training camp and the preseason. Glenn is healthy now, and he's entering his final year of his rookie contract. I expect him to return to form in 2015.

Henderson was very raw at right tackle last year. He needs to improve in 2015.

The coaching staff is going to have a much better influence on the O-line compared to Doug Marrone's heavy handed approach. He wouldn't let the offensive coordinator do his job, and he wouldn't let the offensive line coach do his job either.

The Bills had a good offensive line with Chan Gailey as coach. I expect the Bills to have a good offensive line again with Rex Ryan as coach.

BillsImpossible
05-24-2015, 03:58 PM
How many times did you watch the All-22 game footage and saw CJ Spiller miss an open running lane?

Probably about the same amount of times you watched EJ Manuel miss wide open receivers.

The Bills now have a running back with excellent field vision and can run in between the tackles.

McCoy alone is going to make the offensive line look better.

Speaking of field vision, in one of the first videos I posted about Tyrod Taylor his field vision was one of the things that really stood out.

Even if the play broke down, Taylor was able to keep the play alive with his feet and eyes downfield to complete long passes.

Ground, pound, and throw.

Mace
05-24-2015, 04:01 PM

Nah, it's a dump off playmaker's short ball game set up by rushing with the odd long ball option.

No way it's a bluff. Roman, Cassel, Shady, Felton, Incognito, Clay, drafting Karlos and O'Leary and run game mauler Miller, Kromer's power/man scheme, Connor, Harvin.

Sometimes the obvious is just the obvious.

The Jokeman
05-24-2015, 04:02 PM

Because lord knows the 2013 NFL is so much different than the 2015 version. Personally Incognitio's missed time to me is a small issue. I mean if he was coming off a season ending injury I'd be more concerned. That said I don't anticipate a lot of traditonal ground and pound either. I think we're going to be a heavy motion team with guys like Sammy, Harvin, Clay and O'Leary playing important parts. Shady too since he's good at catching the ball out of the backfield.

BillsImpossible
05-24-2015, 04:02 PM

Remember how the Bills wanted to run the no huddle hurry up offense with EJ Manuel?

That's how F'd up the coaching was.

The offensive line play suffered because of coaching incompetence, a running back who couldn't run between the tackles, and a quarterback that couldn't throw.

The Jokeman
05-24-2015, 04:04 PM
The only way Chris Williams makes the team is they are concerned about a Williams shortage.

Chris brings OG/OT experience. If he doesn't earn a starting spot his flexibility might give him a better chance at ending up on the final 53 vs a guy like Richardson.

Mace
05-24-2015, 04:05 PM
The Bills now have a running back with excellent field vision and can run in between the tackles.

I'm not sure if you realize McCoy is not a contact runner and has a tendency to dance to the outside without an obvious hole in front of him. A Marshawn Lynch is a between the tackles runner ?

The Jokeman
05-24-2015, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure if you realize McCoy is not a contact runner and has a tendency to dance to the outside without an obvious hole in front of him. A Marshawn Lynch is a between the tackles runner ?

Karlos Williams fills that description too from the highlights I've seen on Youtube.

Meathead
05-24-2015, 04:07 PM
teams rarely go outside of sixty-ish pcent on one side of the run/pass ratio regardless of their specialty so there will still be a lot of passing in g&p. you would hope that all the shiny talent on offense would make those plays count more often

BillsImpossible
05-24-2015, 04:08 PM
Chris brings OG/OT experience. If he doesn't earn a starting spot his flexibility might give him a better chance at ending up on the final 53 vs a guy like Richardson.

He's not durable enough. Been on the mend for over 2 years now. He can't stay healthy, and he makes a lot more money than John Miller.

Mace
05-24-2015, 04:09 PM
Karlos Williams fills that description too from the highlights I've seen on Youtube.

Absolutely. I kind of secretly loved the pick though it made me raise an eyebrow.

BillsImpossible
05-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Absolutely. I kind of secretly loved the pick though it made me raise an eyebrow.

I didn't secretly love the pick, I openly loved it. He's not a saint, but he's not OJ either.

Williams can run between the tackles better than McCoy. He's a bigger back.

Williams is 6'1 and 230 lbs. McCoy is 5'11 and 208 lbs.

"208."

BillsImpossible
05-24-2015, 04:20 PM

Williams can bounce it outside, and run in between the tackles too.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7F_AP6G4jlE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Jokeman
05-24-2015, 04:26 PM
He's not durable enough. Been on the mend for over 2 years now. He can't stay healthy, and he makes a lot more money than John Miller.

Who cares about salary when developing a roster? Sure ideally our backup be making less than our starter but sometimes it doesn't happen. It's not the end of the world.

The Jokeman
05-24-2015, 04:27 PM
Williams can bounce it outside, and run in between the tackles too.

He's got some shimmy to his game but I don't see him as a full bounce guy.

BillsImpossible
05-24-2015, 04:40 PM
He's got some shimmy to his game but I don't see him as a full bounce guy.

Looks to me like Williams would rather run it up the middle. Bouncing outside is not his first instinct.

Loved those short yardage runs on the goal line straight up the middle. 6'1 230 lbs. He's a big dude.

6'1 230 running pounds going up against linebackers that weigh 20 or 30 lbs more.

5'11 208 running pounds going up against linebackers that weigh 20 or 30 lbs more.

That's why Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas are in the Hall of Fame.

LeSean McCoy wants to eclipse Adrian Peterson. He is driven to win and be the best running back of all time.

The Bills have some good backup running back insurance in Williams and Jackson.

Mace
05-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Looks to me like Williams would rather run it up the middle. Bouncing outside is not his first instinct.

Loved those short yardage runs on the goal line straight up the middle. 6'1 230 lbs. He's a big dude.

Karlos supposedly loves contact when he brings his "A" game. Shady not so much. Williams can probably bounce outside a tad better than Shady can move a pile.

But you have to figure they have a good stable of backs heading into camp, with about as much prep for a ground and pound as they could have.

I still crave a bruising back here in any case. Jackson always (to me) plays over his weight but shouldn't have to. For 216 lbs, Jackson plays 240 lbs. Wicked sad shame they haven't to date put a team around him worth his effort.

They have about as much backfield talent as they can have atm though, so let it roll. The running game is sure no bluff though.

sudzy
05-24-2015, 06:08 PM
Four reasons why "Ground-n-Pound" isn't a bluff.... Cassel, Manuel, Taylor and Tuel

better days
05-24-2015, 08:59 PM
Who cares about salary when developing a roster? Sure ideally our backup be making less than our starter but sometimes it doesn't happen. It's not the end of the world.

Speaking of salary, I heard John Clayton talkk about the Fins salary the other day.

It looks like they will be over the cap next season & will have to let some players go.

swiper
05-25-2015, 04:35 AM

What are you talking about? 4 draft choices in two years. Signings of Williams, Incognito?

While I don't have the most confidence in last year's 3 draftees - they were rookies. Let's give them this camp, at least, before we give up on them.

swiper
05-25-2015, 04:39 AM
Four reasons why "Ground-n-Pound" isn't a bluff.... Cassel, Manuel, Taylor and Tuel

The best hope is that Cassel turns out to be a poor man's Alex Smith and that they will end up with neither too weighted toward pass or run. Down 1 - run. Down 2 - run. Down 3 - screen pass. Get ready for it.

YardRat
05-25-2015, 05:03 AM
I kind of disagree with this if we can change the nuance of ground and pound to pound from the LOS. Lot's of screens and short passes mixed into the run game might be our best chance ....

I would expect the offense to more closely resemble that...at least early in games. Really, the modern version of the league only sees 'ground and pound' late when you are trying to run out the game with a lead.

mightysimi
05-25-2015, 06:52 AM
All I want is the ability to run when we are up late in the game. Trying to kill the clock and then going 3 and out kills me.

jimmifli
05-25-2015, 11:42 AM
Roman might run a lot but he's never been "ground and pound". San Francisco had problems with short yardage runs. He's much more like Chan, creating mismatches and using trickery rather than just pounding the ball up the middle.

better days
05-25-2015, 12:36 PM
The best hope is that Cassel turns out to be a poor man's Alex Smith and that they will end up with neither too weighted toward pass or run. Down 1 - run. Down 2 - run. Down 3 - screen pass. Get ready for it.

We agree, but I think the best we can hope for Cassel is he is the next Rich Gannon, a guy that blossomed late in his career.

bleve
05-25-2015, 01:20 PM
Roman might run a lot but he's never been "ground and pound". San Francisco had problems with short yardage runs. He's much more like Chan, creating mismatches and using trickery rather than just pounding the ball up the middle.

I'd take a Chan offense with this defense.

jimmifli
05-25-2015, 06:06 PM
I'd take a Chan offense with this defense.

Yeah, that's what the Jets said too.

Night Train
05-26-2015, 04:24 AM
I see a lot of quick passes and running plays. Few deep drops in the classic pocket.

Makes sense, with a questionable OL. Get the ball in the playmakers hands ASAP.

better days
05-26-2015, 08:44 AM

This is exactly what I was going to say.

Chris Willliams looked decent when he played, the problem was he could not stay on the field & out of the trainers room.

And Chris makes a lot more money then Richardson as well as Miller.

better days
05-26-2015, 08:49 AM
Yeah, that's what the Jets said too.

Except Chan has committed to Geno as the starter over the Amish rifle ALREADY.

Did not even wait until TC started. Either Chan really like what he has seen on film from Geno or he really hates Fitz.

mightysimi
05-26-2015, 11:09 AM

Did not even wait until TC started. Either Chan really like what he has seen on film from Geno or he really hates Fitz.

Or under orders.

jimmifli
05-26-2015, 10:44 PM

What do you mean except? Are you arguing with me or was it just a non sequitur?

better days
05-26-2015, 10:56 PM
What do you mean except? Are you arguing with me or was it just a non sequitur?

No I'm not arguing with you.

I just found it interesting that Chan gave the #1 job to Geno with no competition at all when he has his former QB on the team as well.

swiper
05-27-2015, 03:27 AM
Why Chan Gailey's comments don't lock in Geno Smith as Jets' starting quarterback (http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/05/why_chan_gaileys_comments_dont_lock_in_geno_smith.html)

swiper
05-27-2015, 02:43 PM
And today there is more back-tracking on the part of the Jets on this topic...

Geno Smith may have to compete for job after all (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/27/geno-smith-may-have-to-compete-for-job-after-all/)

WagonCircler
05-27-2015, 05:30 PM
Go Fitzy!

Mace
05-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Go Fitzy!

There seriously should be a "Best Competitor Who Savagely Competes Winning a Job Without Being Any Good Year After Year" category in the hall of fame. If Fitzpatrick doesn't get a Super Bowl ring somewhere for being even a backup before he retires, it's just wrong.

Topas
05-28-2015, 06:32 AM
There seriously should be a "Best Competitor Who Savagely Competes Winning a Job Without Being Any Good Year After Year" category in the hall of fame. If Fitzpatrick doesn't get a Super Bowl ring somewhere for being even a backup before he retires, it's just wrong.

Absolutely agree. I love the guy. If only he had some talent.
And I would hate have him playing against us. I'd rather have our D Line tear Geno into pieces. We sucked during the last 15 years but at least the time with having our starting QB shave his head in order to have his WR sign another contract was fun.

WagonCircler
05-28-2015, 08:34 AM

He's Rudy Reuttiger (had Rudy been an off the charts smart QB, and attended Harvard).