PDA

View Full Version : Jim Schwartz hired as "officiating consultant"

IlluminatusUIUC
05-26-2015, 08:20 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12949817/jim-schwartz-serve-officiating-consultant-2015

Surprising that he didn't get a job offer after his work here.

Joe Fo Sho
05-26-2015, 09:23 AM
If I'm not mistaken, we're still paying him his DC salary for the remainder of what his contract would have been, which I think is this year only. He could take a year off and still make a ton of money. If he accepted a new job, he would make similar money and actually have to work. Plus, he would run the risk of ruining his reputation if his defense didn't perform like ours did last year.

I think he's holding out for a head coach job next year. If that happened, he would be the first head coach of the Lions to get another head coaching job after leaving the Lions.

I'm rooting for the guy, he was a great hire here and was on my top 3 Head Coaching wish list this offseason.

Skooby
05-26-2015, 09:37 AM
Jim like Doug thought he had a ticket to the greener grass. Welcome to obscurity.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-26-2015, 09:49 AM
Jim like Doug thought he had a ticket to the greener grass. Welcome to obscurity.

He got let go when we hired an even more profile defensive guy as head coach. He didn't walk out on a contract.

Skooby
05-26-2015, 09:56 AM
He got let go when we hired an even more profile defensive guy as head coach. He didn't walk out on a contract.

There's was no chance of him remaining as the DC but that wouldn't of stopped him from potentially taking another role with the organization (which Jim wouldn't), then his contract was terminated. Doug had a chance to stay as well, which would of probably meant Jim would still have his DC job, so basically both guys left for greener grass one with a choice to keep their current position and one without.

Mr. Miyagi
05-26-2015, 10:50 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think Schwartz is a good coach and very good DC. But his success last year had more to do with the talent on our defense and not as much of his scheme as the media says. Our D was very good under Pettine as well and he found out it's not the same in Cleveland without our talent. If Schwartz had gone to Atlanta as a DC his defense wouldn't suddenly be good.

CommissarSpartacus
05-26-2015, 10:58 AM
From the OP link...

Schwartz, who spent five seasons as the Lions' coach before being fired after the 2013 season, had his issues with the rules during his tenure in Detroit.

The most notable instance came in 2012, when Schwartz tried to challenge a touchdown run by Houston Texans running back Justin Forsett, saying he was down by contact. Since scoring plays were automatically reviewed, Schwartz received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for challenging the play. Doing so also meant the NFL could not review the play, leaving the touchdown on the board.

The play led to the league changing the rule the following offseason, creating what became known as "Jim Schwartz rule" that allowed plays to be reviewed even if coaches throw challenge flags when they aren't allowed to.Schwartz, who spent five seasons as the Lions' coach before being fired after the 2013 season, had his issues with the rules during his tenure in Detroit.

...more...

Imagine that! The NFL putting in a stupid rule that gets rescinded after the brainiacs on the rules committee decided they made a boo boo...

justasportsfan
05-26-2015, 10:58 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think Schwartz is a good coach and very good DC. But his success last year had more to do with the talent on our defense and not as much of his scheme as the media says. Our D was very good under Pettine as well and he found out it's not the same in Cleveland without our talent. If Schwartz had gone to Atlanta as a DC his defense wouldn't suddenly be good.

NO!