PDA

View Full Version : Who's your favorite Bills writer?

Oaf
05-27-2015, 02:20 AM
Is there a writer who covers the Bills that seems to write things in a way that connects with you more than others? Mine would be Carucci. Has done a solid job with his character stories this winter/spring.

Night Train
05-27-2015, 03:13 AM
John Wawrow - AP

YardRat
05-27-2015, 04:38 AM
Carucci is the first one that comes to mind for me also.

Historian
05-27-2015, 05:23 AM
Felser was the only one who ever wrote with constructive criticism.

coastal
05-27-2015, 05:38 AM
Me

now fug off

Meathead
05-27-2015, 07:28 AM
felser was the best for a long time. dropped off dramatically his last few years but getting old sucks

better days
05-27-2015, 07:37 AM
I like Vic Carruci & Joe Buscaglia.

Mike Rodak sucks.

justasportsfan
05-27-2015, 07:40 AM
Pat Moran and Fletcher (RIP)

Albany,n.y.
05-27-2015, 08:06 AM
Felser will always be my favorite. Used to listen to him for years on the radio as well.

As we were waiting for our luggage at the Buffalo airport after the Atlanta Super Bowl, my friend I went to the Super Bowl with & I saw Larry Felser also waiting for his luggage from a different flight home. Larry was friendly & polite with us but while my friend wanted to continue the conversation Larry was more interested in talking with a couple of women who were also fans. Pretty funny, given the choice to talk with us & a couple of women, I don't know too many guys who would have wanted to talk with us.

Forward_Lateral
05-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Coach Sal

ZAZusmc03
05-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Sal Capaccio, He's the best thing to happen to WGR

swiper
05-27-2015, 03:07 PM
Sal the narcissist?

Fixxxer
05-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Matthew Fairburn does a good job, IMO.

Mace
05-27-2015, 07:28 PM
Felser is my all time favorite, I like what Carucci and Buscaglia bring to the table.

Current favorite though is Tim Graham. He taps a great network of contacts and throws you their thoughts. I think he's the younger Carucci and wiser Buscaglia and he expresses himself well.

OpIv37
05-27-2015, 09:49 PM
Sal the narcissist?

Every writer is a narcissist. They love to read their own words as much as egotists like CEO's and politicians like to hear themselves speak. It doesn't automatically make them bad writers.

justasportsfan
05-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Every writer is a narcissist. They love to read their own words as much as egotists like CEO's and politicians like to hear themselves speak. It doesn't automatically make them bad writers.

takes one to know one ,eh? ;)

Sal is the only reason I really listen to WGR.

swiper
05-28-2015, 04:51 PM
takes one to know one ,eh? ;)

Sal is the only reason I really listen to WGR.

You'd get more out of listening to a potato.

X-Era
05-29-2015, 04:43 AM
Sal and Carucci

Worst: Buscaglia and of course Sullivan

Ginger Vitis
05-29-2015, 08:24 AM
ooh the jealousy towards coach sal is so tranparent.. Bitter becasue he is making a living giving opinions on football and doesnt care about this site anymore and we are message board warriors not being paid a penny for our thoughts

Night Train
05-29-2015, 09:37 AM
On Radio, Sal Cap is awesome. I wish he had the afternoon slot instead of Shemp and Bullfrog.

swiper
05-29-2015, 10:51 AM
ooh the jealousy towards coach sal is so tranparent.. Bitter becasue he is making a living giving opinions on football and doesnt care about this site anymore and we are message board warriors not being paid a penny for our thoughts

You obviously weren't around when he was relentlessly pimping himself out of his basement in Tampa.

The Jokeman
05-29-2015, 04:43 PM
I hold the most respect for Carucci in terms of being a true reporter. Yet I also liked when Joe B as at WGR as he at least felt like a fan and was creative. Sal might be a combo of both of them but there are times I think Sal is too smart for his own good.

Mace
05-29-2015, 09:14 PM
You obviously weren't around when he was relentlessly pimping himself out of his basement in Tampa.

I used to love those shows. It was like you were hanging out there for an evening, talking Bills.

I'm fine with Sal, though his speech pattern throws me off sometimes (too fast, start and stop). He's still working his career, got one doing what he likes, and has plenty of time to refine his approach. Never really do understand why people get aggravated by him except that he stopped having time to hang around on message boards and banter, which you sort of figured had to happen if he got anywhere. I don't remember him ever being so full of himself.

MikeInRoch
05-29-2015, 09:43 PM

Because it's a terrible thing to actually pursue a job that you want.

swiper
05-30-2015, 08:13 AM
Because it's a terrible thing to actually pursue a job that you want.

Through relentlessly trying to convince an internet bulletin board that your great? He's not. He's a whole bunch of full of himself. And he's not good.

Famous Amos
05-30-2015, 10:46 AM
I like Coach Sal. I even met him when he moved up here from Florida. I met some other people too from the other place. Dude was a bit stand-offish.

I enjoy reading Brian Galliford.

JoeMama
05-30-2015, 12:43 PM
Is there a writer who covers the Bills that seems to write things in a way that connects with you more than others? Mine would be Carucci. Has done a solid job with his character stories this winter/spring.

I don't have any real favorite sports writers who cover the Bills.

I tend to favor a certain handful of posters on sites like this one, who I think often have more credibility and a better grip on the team than some of the pro writers.

Mace
05-30-2015, 03:44 PM
I don't have any real favorite sports writers who cover the Bills.

I tend to favor a certain handful of posters on sites like this one, who I think often have more credibility and a better grip on the team than some of the pro writers.

Interesting you should mention that Mama, I nearly admitted that I am in fact my favorite sports writer who covers the Bills. Through the years, I've always had a strong connection with myself, and while I occasionally disagree with me, more often than not I can at least see my perspective. I'm a humble man though, and some might misinterpret my love of my own efforts as a psychological narcissism that I love myself for never falling into even though I certainly deserve to more than anyone else.

MikeInRoch
05-30-2015, 09:03 PM
Through relentlessly trying to convince an internet bulletin board that your great? He's not. He's a whole bunch of full of himself. And he's not good.

I don't recall anywhere that he actually did that.

JoeMama
05-30-2015, 09:12 PM
I'll vouch for Coach Sal.

Smart guy, real approachable. Likes pleasing his listeners and prodding their interests to improve his show.

He used to coach for Lemon Bay back when I played high school ball and I used to dog him because I was one hit away from a cycle against their ace pitcher who threw 92 mph and we ended up beating them.

But he took a lot of time to give me the background story of that pitcher. He ended up blowing out his arm and lost his scholarship to LSU. Which we both lamented. He also welcomed me pretty warmly to be engaged in his show.

I like the Sal. I don't see him as a phony or full of himself. He strikes me as a genuinely good guy.

Mace
05-30-2015, 09:24 PM

I'll second that, I remember him giving thoughtful responses when you had something to say on boards. Even with his Florida internet Bills show, he tolerated an awful lot of well, drunken internet people, talked to everyone as much as he could and sure seemed to me he was having the time of his life doing it with a remarkable patience and enthusiasm.

I just never experienced the dude being full of himself.

swiper
05-31-2015, 03:59 AM

He did it constantly. And still does, given the chance.

sudzy
05-31-2015, 05:23 AM

Then he broke the "Cowher is going to be the next Bills HC story." That got his name out there nationally. I remember Schopp asking "who the hell is Sal Capaccio?" The story worked because few months later he was working at WGR.

swiper
05-31-2015, 06:00 AM
Then he broke the "Cowher is going to be the next Bills HC story." That got his name out there nationally. I remember Schopp asking "who the hell is Sal Capaccio?" The story worked because few months later he was working at WGR.

Yes. He milked that "scoop" to the nth degree. He makes me want to puke.

Mace
05-31-2015, 07:11 PM

It's not really like he screwed you at work to get ahead of you in your dept though sudz, and what's wrong with him getting a better job doing what he wants as opposed to running an off hrs internet show in Florida about a Buffalo team ?

I almost think most of the aggravation I'm seeing is because he doesn't post and chat on boards anymore and people seem to think he forgot his "roots". Does anyone really hang out in their old neighborhoods as much when they move to different ones ?