PDA

View Full Version : Corey Graham to focus on playing safety in OTAs

MidnightVoice
05-28-2015, 09:05 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/18992/bills-corey-graham-to-focus-on-playing-safety-in-otas

The Buffalo Bills informed veteran Corey Graham this week that he would be focusing on playing safety for the remainder of offseason workouts, potentially relieving a logjam at cornerback and filling an experience gap at safety.

Graham, 29, split time between cornerback and safety early last season before settling into a full-time role as a starting cornerback following a season-ending injury to Leodis McKelvin.

With McKelvin working back to full health and the Bills selecting cornerback Ronald Darby in the second round of the draft, they have a glut of experienced and talented players at cornerback. Conversely, they have an open spot at safety after Da'Norris Searcy signed with the Tennessee Titans this offseason.

Ginger Vitis
05-28-2015, 09:36 AM
Coach Sal said this morning on WGR Ronald Darby has been impressive in OTAs although he did bring up the point Watkins and Goodwin are not there... The Bills should be OK with either Darby or Robey at the nickel allowing Graham to play safety

Ed
05-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Makes sense. We have talent and depth at CB and a lack of experience at safety. Graham should be the starting FS.

Mr. Miyagi
05-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Worst kept secret all offseason long. And a good move, an upgrade from Searcy.

better days
05-28-2015, 11:37 AM
On WGR the other day DB Coach Donnie Henderson said he had a couple safetys leave Buffalo for big money. (Byrd & Searcy)

He said Duke Williams would be next in line to do that, said Duke was more athletic than both Byrd & Searcy.

I expect Duke to share time with Graham like he did last year with Searcy.

Only instead of Graham taking a seat on the bench like Searcy did, Cory will take another spot on the field in those situations.

Ed
05-28-2015, 01:35 PM
On WGR the other day DB Coach Donnie Henderson said he had a couple safetys leave Buffalo for big money. (Byrd & Searcy)

He said Duke Williams would be next in line to do that, said Duke was more athletic than both Byrd & Searcy.

I expect Duke to share time with Graham like he did last year with Searcy.

Only instead of Graham taking a seat on the bench like Searcy did, Cory will take another spot on the field in those situations.
I think Rex likes to use 3 safeties quite a bit like Pettine did in 2013. I could see Duke having a similar role that Searcy had when Byrd and Aaron Williams were both healthy.

swiper
05-28-2015, 05:03 PM
Coy Wire redux. He's lining up as a LB. Is he a LB or an extra DB?

YardRat
05-28-2015, 05:28 PM
I'd rather see him stay at corner...he will end up back on the outside, if Gilmore or McKelvin go down...or should, anyway.

djjimkelly
05-28-2015, 06:03 PM
i like this regardless of where he ends up playing and who knows what kind of 3 safety schemes rex comes up with.

i have a feeling hes gonna be very versatile this season

Scumbag College
05-28-2015, 07:48 PM
I like this. I think the Darby pick gives the Bills 4 very good CBs, (Gilmore, McLovin, Darby, and Robey) and if there is a need for five corners on the field at one time it could be Graham moving down to CB and Williams in at safety. Cockrell, Brooks, et al can fight it out for 5th/6th CB and Ladler and Rambo can fight for 4th safety. Graham's versatility can get an extra roster spot and gameday active player that can be used elsewhere, hopefully not an extra kickoff kicker.

Mace
05-28-2015, 08:23 PM
Coy Wire redux. He's lining up as a LB. Is he a LB or an extra DB?

Yes.

He's probably the most versatile DB they have, Rex loves him some versatile DB's. Graham is going to shine in this defense. Ryan's linemen are not necessarily linemen, his lb's not necessarily, same with his db's. Guys fill a position role play to play that isn't the position and maybe not the role.

But it won't be like Bryan Scott in that cursed Tampa-2.

coastal
05-29-2015, 06:05 AM
We better take a DB with our 2016 1st round pick or were in trouble

JoeMama
05-29-2015, 08:14 AM
I like the move.

Use Corey Graham like a chess piece where's needed most.

We know Duke Williams struggled terribly last season while Graham was solid at CB. Generally the switch from CB to SS isn't the hardest thing in the world. Many CBs make the transition as they age.

I think the staff knows Duke Williams is a potential liability barring a breakthrough season where everything clicks, but better to hedge your bets on a solid vet like Graham.

JoeMama
05-29-2015, 08:17 AM
We better take a DB with our 2016 1st round pick or were in trouble

I don't think a SS has ever stood between us and the playoffs.

It would be better to have a good one than a bad one obviously, but I wouldn't start prioritizing a DB over a QB in 2016.

We need a franchise QB more than we need another Searcy.

You can't contend in this league anymore without a legit QB.

SpikedLemonade
05-29-2015, 10:46 AM
I don't think a SS has ever stood between us and the playoffs.

It would be better to have a good one than a bad one obviously, but I wouldn't start prioritizing a DB over a QB in 2016.

We need a franchise QB more than we need another Searcy.

You can't contend in this league anymore without a legit QB.

Sarcasm buddy. He was being sarcastic.

JoeMama
05-29-2015, 03:20 PM
Sarcasm buddy. He was being sarcastic.

Swish, right over this dimwit's head.

Where's my kazoo and my dunce cap? I need to go sit in a corner and lament over this.

Sarcasm is my favorite thing ever.

Big time DURP when I don't catch it.

The Jokeman
05-29-2015, 04:58 PM
Coach Sal said this morning on WGR Ronald Darby has been impressive in OTAs although he did bring up the point Watkins and Goodwin are not there... The Bills should be OK with either Darby or Robey at the nickel allowing Graham to play safety

Don't be shocked if Robey doesn't make the squad this year.

Thurmal
05-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Like this move. Graham is solid and I feel better when he's out there, whatever the capacity.

jimmifli
05-29-2015, 09:02 PM
I bet he leads the NFL in INTs.

stuckincincy
05-30-2015, 10:44 AM
I'd rather see him stay at corner...he will end up back on the outside, if Gilmore or McKelvin go down...or should, anyway.

Me too.

better days
05-31-2015, 08:57 AM
Don't be shocked if Robey doesn't make the squad this year.

Robey seemed to play better & be a better fit in Pettines system than he was last year with Schwartz.

I won't be shocked but I will be surprised if Roby does not make the team.