PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo to Stream NFL’s Bills-Jaguars Game

Ed
06-03-2015, 09:20 AM
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/programming/yahoo-stream-nfl-s-bills-jaguars-game/141414

To those outside the Buffalo and Jacksonville markets, the game will be available for free across Yahoo, Yahoo Sports, Yahoo Screen and Tumblr. The league will also be scrapping its TV blackout policy for this season.

OpIv37
06-03-2015, 09:30 AM
This game better be on Sunday Ticket.

While I like the idea of free streaming games, I don't like the idea of being the NFL's guinea pig. If they have technical glitches, I need another way to watch the game.

Ed
06-03-2015, 09:37 AM
This game better be on Sunday Ticket.

While I like the idea of free streaming games, I don't like the idea of being the NFL's guinea pig. If they have technical glitches, I need another way to watch the game.
It won't be available on Sunday Ticket. Chris Brown confirmed this in his last Fan Friday post.

CB: As it’s been explained to me the London game will be broadcast much like a Monday Night football game. Locally in Buffalo (and Jacksonville) it will be carried by CBS, but everywhere else it will be on a digital platform.
Those rights will be sold in the near future so for those folks in Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton and other upstate locales will have to keep an eye out for which digital platform landed the broadcasting rights. Some outfit like Apple, Facebook or Google figure to bid on it.
It will not be available on Sunday NFL Ticket on DirectTV.
It’s already been speculated that the NFL will probably look to strike a deal with one of those digital carriers who have the ability to stream on mobile devices. I know that’s not what you want to hear, but that’s where the technology is headed.

OpIv37
06-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Great, so I'm not getting something that I paid for and instead I have to risk missing the game so the league can use us as test subjects. **** that.

It's a good thing the game is so great because the league really blows.

better days
06-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Great, so I'm not getting something that I paid for and instead I have to risk missing the game so the league can use us as test subjects. **** that.

I am with you Op.

As a DirectTV Sunday ticket subscriber, I think you should complain to Directv that you are not getting what you paid for & that is ALL out of market Sunday games.

Maybe you can get $20 off your bill or free HBO or Showtime for 6 months.

DesertFox24
06-03-2015, 10:53 AM
This is crap, total crap. Why cannot Directtv play the game as well. Now I have to log into the CPU and do this garbage so the NFL can test streaming to see if it is viable and start to charge that way as well.

feldspar
06-03-2015, 10:56 AM
I am with you Op.

As a DirectTV Sunday ticket subscriber, I think you should complain to Directv that you are not getting what you paid for & that is ALL out of market Sunday games.

Maybe you can get $20 off your bill or free HBO or Showtime for 6 months.

Exactly what you should do...complain. Demand a discount, and for a lot more than $20 too. Don't they claim to deliver all games on Sundays apart from the night game? They aren't living up to that claim, are they?

I would definitely demand compensation. Do it, and then report back here about what they said. I suggest telling them that you don't have access to the Internet and therefore won't be able to watch the game at all...lie. I have friends that will want to know how they respond.

Gotta figure that the NFL's little experiment here is going to give DirectTV a lot of headaches here.

casdhf
06-03-2015, 11:23 AM
When it doubt: Lie. God bless the USA and the dollar.

Mr. Miyagi
06-03-2015, 11:30 AM

I don't understand your *****ing. You can get the game for free on Yahoo. Are you complaining about it not being on HD?

Jesus you complain way too much. All the time in fact.

OpIv37
06-03-2015, 11:50 AM
I don't understand your *****ing. You can get the game for free on Yahoo. Are you complaining about it not being on HD?

I paid to be able to watch every single game on my TV. I should be able to watch every single game on my tv. I don't understand why you think its inappropriate to complain when we aren't getting what we pay for.

And this is the first time the NFL is doing this. If there are technical glitches, we miss the game. I don't like being their ginuea pig. They should offer games for free that are on Sunday Ticket too until they can guarantee that the technology works and they have the bandwidth to handle the traffic.

Ed
06-03-2015, 11:57 AM
My issue with it not being available on the Sunday Ticket is that I like to DVR all the Bills games so I can go back and re-watch if I want. I also usually let the game record for about an hour or more and then start watching so I can fast forward through all the commercials and halftime and then get caught up to the live action in the second half. I live out west too, so this game is going to start at like 7:30 AM for me so it would be even more convenient to be able to record it. I'm not going to kick and scream about it, but not having it available on Sunday Ticket is annoying. Hopefully Yahoo at least has it's **** together and doesn't screw it up.

Skooby
06-03-2015, 12:06 PM
I call every year & threaten to cancel Direct tv, so I never pay for the NFL ticket.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-03-2015, 12:23 PM

Revisit this thread when the feed drops while we're in the red zone.

Streaming on the side as overflow for TV viewers is fine. It has it's glitches, but you recognize that when you try to stream over the web rather than purchasing the content. But making streaming the only option is a terrible idea.

DraftBoy
06-03-2015, 12:26 PM
I dropped my Sunday Ticket package and I now I get to watch the game. Works for me.

feldspar
06-03-2015, 12:53 PM
When it doubt: Lie. God bless the USA and the dollar.

**** DirectTV anyway. They pretty much have a monopoly on the NFL broadcast market. Out-of-towners have no real choice but to go with them for not only football coverage, but the rest of their TV cable package as well. That all adds up to a pretty penny.

I would have no qualms telling a little white lie to these people to get them to lower the price, especially when the reality is that they aren't delivering what you paid a lot of money for them to deliver. The onus lies with them, and you shouldn't be expected to pay for what you aren't getting, no?

JoeMama
06-03-2015, 12:56 PM

I don't think the NFL has a good brand.

If I didn't love the Bills, I seriously wouldn't watch a single NFL game. Football isn't that great of a sport now that it's all a lame passing league.

I haven't watched a Superbowl since the Cards/Rape team in 2009, I think.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-03-2015, 01:01 PM
**** DirectTV anyway. They pretty much have a monopoly on the NFL broadcast market. Out-of-towners have no real choice but to go with them for not only football coverage, but the rest of their TV cable package as well. That all adds up to a pretty penny.

I would have no qualms telling a little white lie to these people to get them to lower the price, especially when the reality is that they aren't delivering what you paid a lot of money for them to deliver. The onus lies with them, and you shouldn't be expected to pay for what you aren't getting, no?

I don't think you even need to lie about it though. People don't buy Sunday Ticket because they value all games equally, they buy it because they have a specific set of games they are interested in. Dropping even one of those games out of the package meaningfully changes the value.

On the plus side, Sunday Ticket does seem to be cheaper this year. NFL.com has the regular package listed at $160 and the Max one at $200. I thought it was $300 and $350 before?

mightysimi
06-03-2015, 01:02 PM
I've used NFL game pass all of last year and had no problem streaming(sometimes upto 4 games at once) in full HD.

As for the complaint that you can't watch it on TV? An HDMI cable fixes that problem. I know not ideal but it can work.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-03-2015, 01:02 PM

If I didn't love the Bills, I seriously wouldn't watch a single NFL game. Football isn't that great of a sport now that it's all a lame passing league.

Seriously? The last few years have had some of the best Super Bowls of all time.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-03-2015, 01:06 PM
I've used NFL game pass all of last year and had no problem streaming(sometimes upto 4 games at once) in full HD.

As for the complaint that you can't watch it on TV? An HDMI cable fixes that problem. I know not ideal but it can work.

I used gamepass as well, and it was fine. Here's the difference though: The # of viewers on game pass is far, far lower then it will be here because most fans watch the game on a TV feed. When you completely flip that so the vast majority are now watching the stream, it's going to lead to problems.

The last buffalo fan
06-03-2015, 03:25 PM
You better ****ing bring the ****ing NFL to ****ing Mexico and ****ing forget about this ****ing problem, ****!

JohnnyGold
06-03-2015, 03:28 PM

Sadly, Im starting to feel this way too... it may be because its the dead of the offseason, but for some reason, the NFL is (for me) coming dangerously close to losing it.

I cant believe Im about to say this, but its actually REFRESHING to watch an NBA game and not have the broadcasters treating it like ITS THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME EVER AND ITS LIFE OR DEATH RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW!!1

The focus is on, you know, basketball... the game being played. And not the theatrics that come with it. This whole debacle about the Super Bowl winning quarterback being a cheater not once, but twice now, and the league pussyfooting around it by suspending him 4 games, when it should be a life time ban, is insulting.

People have said the NFL jumped the shark long ago, but its starting to feel like more of a circus than a sport. Their insistence on parity has also overvalued the QB position to such a large extent that "parity" is the furthest thing from what the league has achieved. its a complete monopoly of allstar qbs winning super bowls, with no hope for 90% of the league.

Its entertainment. Its just not bigger than life, no matter how much they want to sell that. And kicking a game off at 9am and streaming it on the internet basically assures something is going to happen that hasnt happened in over 15 years this fall: im voluntarily going to miss a game, and not care. Oh well. The NBA looks like its entering a golden era. Steph Curry is sick, teams are bombing threes with reckless abandon, and the 4 conference finalists (Cleveland, Atlanta, Houston, and GS) are all also rans that have taken over by flying in the face of conventional ball and launching 3s non stop. It would be like Bills v Browns/Detroit v Washington for the Super Bowl. Its a great sport. I was a Knicks fan for all of the 90s and 2000s. Watch how fast I can go back to loving that sport.

As fast as you can say "Goodell is in over his head"

better days
06-03-2015, 04:32 PM
I dropped my Sunday Ticket package and I now I get to watch the game. Works for me.

If the game were not on Yahoo, it would have been shown on NATIONAL TV as the other London games will be.

May work for you but not me.

I have 75 mbps internet speed, but I know my experience watching this game will not be as good as if it were on CBS.

DraftBoy
06-03-2015, 05:08 PM
If the game were not on Yahoo, it would have been shown on NATIONAL TV as the other London games will be.

May work for you but not me.

I have 75 mbps internet speed, but I know my experience watching this game will not be as good as if it were on CBS.

I don't believe the London game has been on national TV the past few years. Not sure why you're assuming the Bills/Jags would of been.

My experience will be great, I've been using ESPN3 for years and it's been great. This is the future and I can't wait for it become this way for every game in every league.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-03-2015, 05:16 PM
I don't believe the London game has been on national TV the past few years. Not sure why you're assuming the Bills/Jags would of been.

Because Bills-Jags would have been alone in its timeslot, just as Detroit-Atlanta was when it was nationally televised (http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2014&wk=8)

JoeMama
06-03-2015, 05:28 PM
No thanks to an online feed.

I'd rather go to London.

In fact, maybe I should research that and make it happen...

DraftBoy
06-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Because Bills-Jags would have been alone in its timeslot, just as Detroit-Atlanta was when it was nationally televised (http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2014&wk=8)

Didn't realize that.

Oh well.

Typ0
06-03-2015, 07:10 PM
I'm glad I'm in the regional market to see the game on TV. If was getting gouged for the ticket I would be beyond pissed about this and tell them to shove the fine print up their asses. I see a class action lawsuit coming from this fiasco.

JoeMama
06-03-2015, 07:15 PM
I'm glad I'm in the regional market to see the game on TV. If was getting gouged for the ticket I would be beyond pissed about this and tell them to shove the fine print up their asses. I see a class action lawsuit coming from this fiasco.

One more feather in Roger Goodell's cap if that happens.

Scumbag College
06-03-2015, 07:19 PM
I know it's just lowly Buffalo and Jacksonville at 6am PST on Sunday, but why not use this on a preseason game? I think that this stinks, anyone outside of Buffalo or Jacksonville won't even have radio coverage for the game if/when the feed craps out. We'd have to watch the stupid Game Center on nfl.com or just get the score at the end of the game.

OpIv37
06-03-2015, 07:40 PM

My experience will be great, I've been using ESPN3 for years and it's been great. This is the future and I can't wait for it become this way for every game in every league.
Me neither, but this is the FIRST time the NFL has ever done this. ESPN3 works great NOW- not so much 5 or 6 years ago when they first offered it. We are the guinea pigs and when (not if) they **** it up, we will miss portions of the game.

DraftBoy
06-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Me neither, but this is the FIRST time the NFL has ever done this. ESPN3 works great NOW- not so much 5 or 6 years ago when they first offered it. We are the guinea pigs and when (not if) they **** it up, we will miss portions of the game.

Like I said this is great for me. Missing only a few moments, which I don't automatically concede is going to happen, is better than not seeing any of it. Should be a fun experience to see what Yahoo can do with it and how they make it work.

OpIv37
06-03-2015, 07:57 PM
Like I said this is great for me. Missing only a few moments, which I don't automatically concede is going to happen, is better than not seeing any of it. Should be a fun experience to see what Yahoo can do with it and how they make it work.

I work in software development and essentially this is deploying to production without a real world test. It always ends poorly. Maybe they have some way to do a load test, but given how they don't even have an accurate way to measure demand, I fail to see how any load test will be sufficient. It's guess work.

And even if it's great for you, some of us are paying for Sunday Ticket and not getting what we pay for, and the league doesn't give a **** because that moron Goodell has this pipe dream about international expansion. He considers current customers to be a given so much so that he is willing to piss them off for an outside chance at new customers. It's an arrogant and poorly conceived strategy.

BillsImpossible
06-03-2015, 08:02 PM
All I care about pertaining to this thread is eating steak, eggs and bacon at 8:30 am ET and washing it down with my first of many beers a half hour later.

This only gives me another reason to have a party the Saturdary night beforehand. It only makes logical sense.

The only problem might be waking up on time for the game.

OpIv37
06-03-2015, 08:10 PM
All I care about pertaining to this thread is eating steak, eggs and bacon at 8:30 am ET and washing it down with my first of many beers a half hour later.

This only gives me another reason to have a party the Saturdary night beforehand. It only makes logical sense.

The only problem might be waking up on time for the game.

I hate everything about this game.

I hate the fact that the team has to travel 6 or 7 hours and have a 5 hour time difference instead of 3-4 hours travel in the same time zone.

I hate the fact that they have to play in front of lukewarm fans in a foreign country. The fan base will consist of Europeans who don't really care about football and military or ex pat Americans who don't really care about either team.

I hate the fact that the game is on so early.

I hate the fact that I have to watch it on the fickle Internet rather than on DirecTV Sunday Ticket despite paying a small fortune for the privilege of having Sunday Ticket.

I hate the fact that Goodell is willing to alienate his current customer base for the outside shot at an international market.

The only slightly redeeming factor is that for once, an opponent gave up their home game to play in another country instead of us.

DraftBoy
06-03-2015, 08:13 PM
I work in software development and essentially this is deploying to production without a real world test. It always ends poorly. Maybe they have some way to do a load test, but given how they don't even have an accurate way to measure demand, I fail to see how any load test will be sufficient. It's guess work.

And even if it's great for you, some of us are paying for Sunday Ticket and not getting what we pay for, and the league doesn't give a **** because that moron Goodell has this pipe dream about international expansion. He considers current customers to be a given so much so that he is willing to piss them off for an outside chance at new customers. It's an arrogant and poorly conceived strategy.

We shall see.

He doesn't give a **** about you not because of his desire to expand the game internationally. He doesn't give a **** because he has you by the balls. Fans, as always, will feign outrage and then be right back in their seats next Sunday to watch the game again. You are the forgone conclusion, why should he cater to you? He has your money locked up, you don't offer anything.

YardRat
06-03-2015, 08:19 PM
I work in software development and essentially this is deploying to production without a real world test.

Doesn't this game qualify as a 'real world test'?

OpIv37
06-03-2015, 08:22 PM
We shall see.

He doesn't give a **** about you not because of his desire to expand the game internationally. He doesn't give a **** because he has you by the balls. Fans, as always, will feign outrage and then be right back in their seats next Sunday to watch the game again. You are the forgone conclusion, why should he cater to you? He has your money locked up, you don't offer anything.

My point exactly. It's pure greed. He should give a **** about me because it's people like me that made him and the league rich. But he doesn't. All he cares about is finding people that can make the league go from uber rich to.... well, whatever the next stage of rich is. Tagliabue made a ton of money and grew the league more than any commissioner in any North American sport, but he did it without alienating the die-hards. Goodell thinks we are foregone conclusions but at some point there will be a backlash. The league consistently alienates consistent fans for corporate fans or new markets and it's getting really ****ing old.

mightysimi
06-03-2015, 08:25 PM
I used gamepass as well, and it was fine. Here's the difference though: The # of viewers on game pass is far, far lower then it will be here because most fans watch the game on a TV feed. When you completely flip that so the vast majority are now watching the stream, it's going to lead to problems.

I understand that but I bet they learned a lot at the last superbowl and this is the test run for the next one. I expect it to be fine. Yahoo does have some pretty good horse power behind it.

DraftBoy
06-03-2015, 08:29 PM
My point exactly. It's pure greed. He should give a **** about me because it's people like me that made him and the league rich. But he doesn't. All he cares about is finding people that can make the league go from uber rich to.... well, whatever the next stage of rich is. Tagliabue made a ton of money and grew the league more than any commissioner in any North American sport, but he did it without alienating the die-hards. Goodell thinks we are foregone conclusions but at some point there will be a backlash. The league consistently alienates consistent fans for corporate fans or new markets and it's getting really ****ing old.

No there won't be. Stop being so melodramatic.

OpIv37
06-03-2015, 08:32 PM
No there won't be. Stop being so melodramatic.

People have a breaking point.

Baseball was huge before the '94 strike and it took the steroid-fueled home run derby to bring it back.

The Redskins have lost a generation of fans, due to a combination of being a 2-team market with the much better Ravens and Snyder pricing people out of going to the games.

Nothing is untouchable, no matter how ingrained in the culture it may seem.

DraftBoy
06-03-2015, 08:40 PM
People have a breaking point.

Baseball was huge before the '94 strike and it took the steroid-fueled home run derby to bring it back.

The Redskins have lost a generation of fans, due to a combination of being a 2-team market with the much better Ravens and Snyder pricing people out of going to the games.

Nothing is untouchable, no matter how ingrained in the culture it may seem.

Sure they do, but neither example you cited has anything to do with what the NFL is currently. Also the Skins sucking for a while and the Ravens winning a Super Bowl also was by far the largest factor.

OpIv37
06-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Sure they do, but neither example you cited has anything to do with what the NFL is currently. Also the Skins sucking for a while and the Ravens winning a Super Bowl also was by far the largest factor.

It absolutely has to do with what the NFL is currently.

The Redskins took their fans for granted because they were local. Fans are bred when kids watch the games on TV and occasionally their dad takes them to a home game. But when the dads could no longer afford to take their kids to a game and breed that loyalty, and a better team was on TV for free every week, the fans Snyder took for granted were lost.

The league as a whole is doing the same things now. Goodell is pushing family-friendly "fan conduct policies" even as the league prices most families out of the game and hypocritically pushes a party atmosphere through alcohol advertisers and alcohol sales in stadiums. Goodell is alienating die-hard fans with things like these international games and "flex games" because he assumes they will always be there. It's the same mistake Snyder made on a larger level. He's assuming his product is so great that people will be willing to keep paying for it, even as prices increase and the experience decreases. He hasn't hit the breaking point yet, but there is a breaking point.

better days
06-03-2015, 11:01 PM

Last year, since the game was moved to 9:00 AM it has been on National TV.

And I will bet you if the other London game is on at 9:00 AM, it will be on National TV as well.

And if a few people stream, that is one thing, but we will see what happens when Bills Nation streams that game.

And for me even if I get a good stream with no buffering at all, it won't be as good an experience as watching the game on my TIVO.

better days
06-03-2015, 11:11 PM

The Redskins took their fans for granted because they were local. Fans are bred when kids watch the games on TV and occasionally their dad takes them to a home game. But when the dads could no longer afford to take their kids to a game and breed that loyalty, and a better team was on TV for free every week, the fans Snyder took for granted were lost.

The league as a whole is doing the same things now. Goodell is pushing family-friendly "fan conduct policies" even as the league prices most families out of the game and hypocritically pushes a party atmosphere through alcohol advertisers and alcohol sales in stadiums. Goodell is alienating die-hard fans with things like these international games and "flex games" because he assumes they will always be there. It's the same mistake Snyder made on a larger level. He's assuming his product is so great that people will be willing to keep paying for it, even as prices increase and the experience decreases. He hasn't hit the breaking point yet, but there is a breaking point.

A couple more points Op, when I was a kid, baseball was played mostly during the day. Even the World Series.

Teachers would put the World Series game on TV in school & not teach while the game was on.

Baseball was KING. Now it has been knocked off its throne by Football, especially the NFL because baseball stopped cultivating its audience of YOUNG fans, showing BIG games when they had to go to sleep.

And when the NFL started its own channel, the NFL Network, it was geared towards the hardcore fan. I LOVED it.

I hardly watch it anymore except for Thursday night football because it is now like a woman's talk show.

DraftBoy
06-04-2015, 05:19 AM

The Redskins having poor business sense and out pricing their own fan base has nothing to to do with the NFL choosing to stream a game online. You know that, that's why the comparison does not work. Additionally had the Redskins made better football decisions then they wouldn't have seen the turn they did.

Your second example of hypocrisy has nothing to do with alienating fans either. We've seen countless fans on this very site come and state that at times the atmosphere in The Ralph is inappropriate. Not to mention that didn't the Bills lead the league in DUI related accidents after games only a couple of years ago? I don't think this policy alienates anybody, they've simply continued to drink in their tailgate areas as opposed to inside the stadium. Additionally most teams are reporting record breaking revenues across the board including in alcohol sales, so not sure how you're quantifying people being alienated, unless you're trying to base it off people *****ing on the internet which represents a total of less than 1% of actual NFL fans.

The difference between Snyder and Goodell is in their product, Goodell's product right now is that great. Everything that the NFL is doing right now is gold. Look at the timing of the schedule release two weeks out from the draft so build the PR buzzsaw. Look at the multiple positive reports from the NFL Draft being in Chicago and all that was associated with it. NFL stadiums are being built faster now than ever before, TV ratings are up, and league revenues are up. Will this last forever? Of course not, but you're picking little insignificant items that won't alienate people. They'll just be an irritant that most will forget about in 24-48 hours.

better days
06-04-2015, 09:04 AM
The Redskins having poor business sense and out pricing their own fan base has nothing to to do with the NFL choosing to stream a game online. You know that, that's why the comparison does not work. Additionally had the Redskins made better football decisions then they wouldn't have seen the turn they did.

Your second example of hypocrisy has nothing to do with alienating fans either. We've seen countless fans on this very site come and state that at times the atmosphere in The Ralph is inappropriate. Not to mention that didn't the Bills lead the league in DUI related accidents after games only a couple of years ago? I don't think this policy alienates anybody, they've simply continued to drink in their tailgate areas as opposed to inside the stadium. Additionally most teams are reporting record breaking revenues across the board including in alcohol sales, so not sure how you're quantifying people being alienated, unless you're trying to base it off people *****ing on the internet which represents a total of less than 1% of actual NFL fans.

The difference between Snyder and Goodell is in their product, Goodell's product right now is that great. Everything that the NFL is doing right now is gold. Look at the timing of the schedule release two weeks out from the draft so build the PR buzzsaw. Look at the multiple positive reports from the NFL Draft being in Chicago and all that was associated with it. NFL stadiums are being built faster now than ever before, TV ratings are up, and league revenues are up. Will this last forever? Of course not, but you're picking little insignificant items that won't alienate people. They'll just be an irritant that most will forget about in 24-48 hours.

I don't remember anything being written that the Bills led the NFL in DWI accidents.

Do you have a link for that, or are you just pulling that out of your ass?

And even if you are correct about Buffalo leading in that, Op was talking about the hypocrisy of the NFL saying it wants to promote a family atmosphere out of one side of its mouth & embracing alcohol advertising & sales out of the other.

OpIv37
06-04-2015, 10:51 AM
I don't remember anything being written that the Bills led the NFL in DWI accidents.

And even if you are correct about Buffalo leading in that, Op was talking about the hypocrisy of the NFL saying it wants to promote a family atmosphere out of one side of its mouth & embracing alcohol advertising & sales out of the other.
Not to mention there's no point in having a family atmosphere when most families are being priced out of going to games.

DraftBoy
06-04-2015, 10:54 AM

I don't, I just recall a thread from here a season or two ago. Which is why I asked the question, instead of making a statement.

DraftBoy
06-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Not to mention there's no point in having a family atmosphere when most families are being priced out of going to games.

I'm not entirely sure we've reached that price point yet. Not with attendance being what it is across the league. You can't claim that the league is pricing out its fan base when the numbers don't support that.

OpIv37
06-04-2015, 01:15 PM
I'm not entirely sure we've reached that price point yet. Not with attendance being what it is across the league. You can't claim that the league is pricing out its fan base when the numbers don't support that.

In certain places it's still ok. But DC, New England, Dallas- it's absurdly expensive. Even in Baltimore it's pretty bad. They have PSL's so that puts seasons out of the question for a loft people and bumps up the after market price for single games.

DraftBoy
06-04-2015, 01:57 PM
In certain places it's still ok. But DC, New England, Dallas- it's absurdly expensive. Even in Baltimore it's pretty bad. They have PSL's so that puts seasons out of the question for a loft people and bumps up the after market price for single games.

You considering it expensive does not mean they are out pricing the fan base. Again there should be clear data to support that and I haven't seen any.

The Jokeman
06-04-2015, 02:47 PM
Anyone watch Silicon Valley on HBO and think about the episodes 2 weeks ago with this announcement?

Ed
06-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Anyone watch Silicon Valley on HBO and think about the episodes 2 weeks ago with this announcement?
Yes and yes.

OpIv37
06-04-2015, 10:09 PM
You considering it expensive does not mean they are out pricing the fan base. Again there should be clear data to support that and I haven't seen any.

You asked for it. You got it.

http://america.aljazeera.com/multimedia/2014/1/sortable-table-whatitcoststogotoannflgame.html

Keep in mind that it uses median income. In places like DC, that's not an accurate metric because the people making next to nothing are offset by the people making absurd amounts. So, it's even worse than this makes it seem for the average person.

DraftBoy
06-05-2015, 05:28 AM
You asked for it. You got it.

http://america.aljazeera.com/multimedia/2014/1/sortable-table-whatitcoststogotoannflgame.html

Keep in mind that it uses median income. In places like DC, that's not an accurate metric because the people making next to nothing are offset by the people making absurd amounts. So, it's even worse than this makes it seem for the average person.

No, what I asked for was data showing that they were out-pricing people. Showing a metric based on weekly pay doesn't prove that. It simply shows that they charge high prices and people are willing to pay it despite their budgets clearly showing they shouldn't.

In order to prove your point you need to show that there have been issues with ticket sales and that it is directly related to how high the prices are.

The ticket being expensive is not the same thing as the ticket being out-priced compared to the market. An out-priced ticket won't sell, but an expensive one will. The NFL's tickets are expensive, but nothing in the data shows that they have out-priced their market.

OpIv37
06-05-2015, 07:09 AM
You don't think a game costing 50+% of the median weekly income is pricing people out? Gimme a ****ing break. Now you are just being argumentative.

And I said the average family is getting priced out, not everyone. There are other demographics that are buying the ticket.

JoeMama
06-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Seriously? The last few years have had some of the best Super Bowls of all time.

I'm a total bitter-ender when it comes to the Bills.

When they're done for the season, so am I.

I can't stand watching other teams revel in post-season glory.

feldspar
06-07-2015, 01:03 AM
You don't think a game costing 50+% of the median weekly income is pricing people out? Gimme a ****ing break. Now you are just being argumentative.

And I said the average family is getting priced out, not everyone. There are other demographics that are buying the ticket.

The average family does not want season tickets.

And the average family can easily afford going to a game or two.

I'm sure that some people are getting priced out, but it's like anything else... You have to decide what's worth it for you. The average person in Buffalo can go to 3 football games using one weeks pay, getting average tickets. That's not an incredible hardship. Remember that there are much cheaper tickets than your awesome chart indicates, as well. Some tickets are stupid expensive, which drives up the average.

better days
06-07-2015, 08:17 AM
The average family does not want season tickets.

And the average family can easily afford going to a game or two.

I'm sure that some people are getting priced out, but it's like anything else... You have to decide what's worth it for you. The average person in Buffalo can go to 3 football games using one weeks pay, getting average tickets. That's not an incredible hardship. Remember that there are much cheaper tickets than your awesome chart indicates, as well. Some tickets are stupid expensive, which drives up the average.

I could not afford season tickets to the Sabres along with my Bills season tickets.

And even if I could, there is no way I could have gone to all those games.

But I bought tickets before the start of the season & went to a lot of Sabres games on nights I wanted to go & to see teams I wanted to see.

I sat in the Golds in the same seat for maybe 7 or 8 games. Sat in different seats in the Golds a few other games & sat in the blues & reds for a number of games.

But the NFL is only 8 games at home during the season.

I agree you have to decide what is worth it to you.

DraftBoy
06-07-2015, 10:41 AM

Not if that is what people are willing to play. You understand economics just like I do. It being smart to pay that much and people being willing to pay that much are too completely different things. You know that as well as I do.

bleve
06-07-2015, 11:42 AM
I'll probably sleep through it anyway. 6:00 a.m. here in California.

With my luck, it being the Bills after all, I'll get up around 8:00 flip on the laptop, get a cup of coffee just in time to see Jeff Tuel Throw a winning touchdown, and Natty Hackett being carried off the field on the teams shoulders.

better days
06-07-2015, 09:08 PM
I'll probably sleep through it anyway. 6:00 a.m. here in California.

With my luck, it being the Bills after all, I'll get up around 8:00 flip on the laptop, get a cup of coffee just in time to see Jeff Tuel Throw a winning touchdown, and Natty Hackett being carried off the field on the teams shoulders.

It is not the Bills after all anymore.

The team name is the same, but everything else has changed from the owner on down.

robles
06-10-2015, 11:35 AM
I call each year & endanger in order to cancel Strong telly, so i in no way buy the actual NFL priced.
http://wigunpics.science/3/g.png

IlluminatusUIUC
06-10-2015, 11:39 AM
I call each year & endanger in order to cancel Strong telly, so i in no way buy the actual NFL priced.
http://wigunpics.science/3/g.png

Well said.

better days
06-11-2015, 09:24 AM
Well, I just got a TIVO premiere DVR yesterday.

I have access to Yahoo in the main menu of this TIVO which means I can watch it on my big screen with no problem.

I feel much better about this game on Yahoo, but still have concerns about so many people watching a LIVE game.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-12-2016, 12:33 PM
I'm going to bump this thread to eat some crow, because last year I was very, very skeptical about the quality of streaming NFL games. This year, I have to say they really impressed me with the quality of the Yahoo Bills/Jags game but also even higher ticket games. I streamed the Conference Championship Games and the Super Bowl without a hitch.

Albany,n.y.
02-12-2016, 01:09 PM
I'm going to bump this thread to eat some crow, because last year I was very, very skeptical about the quality of streaming NFL games. This year, I have to say they really impressed me with the quality of the Yahoo Bills/Jags game but also even higher ticket games. I streamed the Conference Championship Games and the Super Bowl without a hitch.

My feed on the Bills game kept going in & out of hi-def-not acceptable. Maybe they straightened streaming out later but I don't want to watch another game like the Bills London game. EJ made it even worse.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-12-2016, 01:12 PM
My feed on the Bills game kept going in & out of hi-def-not acceptable. Maybe they straightened streaming out later but I don't want to watch another game like the Bills London game. EJ made it even worse.

EJ isn't watchable no matter what the resolution