PDA

View Full Version : John Miller impressing

swiper
06-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Great news.

Vic Carucci ‏@viccarucci (https://twitter.com/viccarucci)<small class="time" style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 19.25px; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(136, 153, 166);"> 4h (https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/606186139230289922)</small><small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(136, 153, 166);">4 hours ago (https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/606186139230289922)</small>
Rookie John Miller is making a strong impression as a starter at RG for the #Bills (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash). "I think he's a 10-year vet out there," Rex Ryan said.

Buffalogic
06-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Would be great if he can come in right away and play at a high level. We need it.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-03-2015, 05:40 PM
Let's wait until he played preseason games. I remember there is one guard during Gregg Williams era who received wave reviews from Gregg himself -- learning quick in class room, translate to the field (always got to the right assignment), until when the pads were on, hitting happened, he was picked up by DE's and thrown around.

swiper
06-03-2015, 05:42 PM
Let's wait until he played preseason games. I remember there is one guard during Gregg Williams era who received wave reviews from Gregg himself -- learning quick in class room, translate to the field (always got to the right assignment), until when the pads were on, hitting happened, he was picked up by DE's and thrown around.

Agreed. Nevertheless, it's encouraging to hear this coming from the coach.

Goobylal
06-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Who?

BillsImpossible
06-03-2015, 07:44 PM
John Miller is a tree stump of a guard that is a pain in the ass to uproot.

He also does his homework and knows the playbook inside out.

He's going to be a starting guard for the Buffalo Bills for a long time.

Best draft pick at guard since Ruben Brown.

YardRat
06-03-2015, 07:59 PM
Here's hoping.

OpIv37
06-03-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm skeptical because almost every year, there is some guy who impresses in pre-season but either doesn't make the roster or becomes nothing but an ST'er.

That being said, if he can start immediately at G and play at a high level, it will go a long way toward plugging a big hole on the OL. It's another "hope for the best but expect the worst" situation.

ICRockets
06-03-2015, 09:09 PM
I'm skeptical because almost every year, there is some guy who impresses in pre-season but either doesn't make the roster or becomes nothing but an ST'er.

Name 3 from the last decade.

OpIv37
06-03-2015, 09:26 PM
Name 3 from the last decade.

Konstantin Ritzman, Jeff Tuel, Michael Jasper, Demetress Bell, Ed Wang, Arthur Moats... I think I've made my point.

BertSquirtgum
06-03-2015, 10:12 PM
The only one I remember showing flashes in preseason was Moats.

OpIv37
06-03-2015, 10:16 PM

The local media was drooling over Ritzman. Everyone had a hard-on for Tuel after one good preseason game. Everyone was talking about Jasper for either OL or NT because of his size. Many people thought Wang was a steal.

better days
06-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Konstantin Ritzman, Jeff Tuel, Michael Jasper, Demetress Bell, Ed Wang, Arthur Moats... I think I've made my point.

No you did not make any point Op.

None of those guys were expected to do ANYTHING.

better days
06-03-2015, 10:43 PM

And he was not terrible.

Was serviceable a few years.

OpIv37
06-03-2015, 10:44 PM
No you did not make any point Op.

None of those guys were expected to do ANYTHING.

WTF are you talking about? ALL of them got a ton of press in preseason and did nothing. Your definition of "expected" is ****ed. It's skewed to protect your own preconceived views.

better days
06-03-2015, 10:47 PM
The local media was drooling over Ritzman. Everyone had a hard-on for Tuel after one good preseason game. Everyone was talking about Jasper for either OL or NT because of his size. Many people thought Wang was a steal.

Wang was the butt of JOKES, not considered a steal by anyone.

And people had hope for Jasper because of his size, but he did not show enough to disappoint.

I don't remember hearing anything about Ritzman down here in Fla.

better days
06-03-2015, 10:50 PM
WTF are you talking about? ALL of them got a ton of press in preseason and did nothing. Your definition of "expected" is ****ed. It's skewed to protect your own preconceived views.

LMAO press? The press like to stir things up to SELL papers & airtime.

That same press claims EJ, Harvin, Fred could be cut.

HHURRICANE
06-04-2015, 03:18 AM

I'm usually in agreement with you but not on this one.

HHURRICANE
06-04-2015, 03:22 AM
Great news.

Miller playing well enough to start would be huge. Not sure why we drafted Kujoundo? It's almost like Whaley drafts better when he has less pressure.

swiper
06-04-2015, 03:27 AM
And he was not terrible.

Was serviceable a few years.

And is playing for the Steelers.

JohnnyGold
06-04-2015, 04:44 AM

da'rick rogers
trent edwards during gailey's first year
james hardy

people are playing dumb. there is a golden child every summer who looks great in OTAs, then when there is someone on the other side of the ball, you never hear their name again.

YardRat
06-04-2015, 04:51 AM
I hate to admit it, but I have zero recollection of Ritzman, and I don't recall anybody considering Wang a 'steal'. I do remember, however, some posters having a hard-on for Lief Larsson.

Jesus H Christ...only the Buffalo Bills would be smarter than everybody else, mining Germany and China to fortify their lines.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-04-2015, 05:33 AM
I agree with the most that only Moats is somewhat a bright spot in OTA/Camp setting if I recall. Guys like Jasper is more of a fan fascination, being awed by his size, but no coaches ever raved about.

In Whaley's two draft thus far, the coaches talked about, in the specific order, Henderson and Watkins (should not be a surprise) last year; Miller and Darby this year. I don't include O'Leary who received some praise from rookie camps but in OTA with full squad, not much.

Right now, very early stage, we can guess from the draft class, one major contributor (Miller), one part time contributor (Darby), and one minor contributor (O'Leary, who may become a part time contributor if Roman indeed uses multiple TEs extensively). If this becomes true, for a team without a 1st round pick and generally a top 15 team in terms of overall talent, it is a good accomplishment.

Ginger Vitis
06-04-2015, 06:51 AM

Andy Levitre doesn't agree

better days
06-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Andy Levitre doesn't agree

It will not surprise me if Miller has a BETTER career than Levitre which will make him the best pick at guard since Ruben.

Time will tell.

Meathead
06-04-2015, 09:32 AM
i agree with op, theres always guys that flourish in preseason only to fizzle when the games are real. moats and wang are good examples i think. wang did indeed start out strong but he ended up being the chink in the bills armor

had to use that one last time

Meathead
06-04-2015, 09:35 AM
otas are pretty meaningless but one big surprise so far is cordy glenn looking like theres a real chance hes not even going to be starting anywhere on the line

seems to me there might be something there we dont know everything about. glenn stepped in and did a nice job right away. but he had this mystery illness or something that kept him out of training camp last year. perhaps he is succumbing to whatever that is, poor guy

Joe Fo Sho
06-04-2015, 11:06 AM
wang did indeed start out strong but he ended up being the chink in the bills armor

I see what you did there.

Ginger Vitis
06-04-2015, 12:37 PM
I thought it was confirmed Glenn had mononucleosis last year.. What is the deal with him in OTAs does he look very out of shape?

Bill Cody
06-04-2015, 12:38 PM
Ed Wang... I think I've made my point.

Don't be a dick

better days
06-04-2015, 12:45 PM
otas are pretty meaningless but one big surprise so far is cordy glenn looking like theres a real chance hes not even going to be starting anywhere on the line

seems to me there might be something there we dont know everything about. glenn stepped in and did a nice job right away. but he had this mystery illness or something that kept him out of training camp last year. perhaps he is succumbing to whatever that is, poor guy

This is nonsense. The Bills are just moving people around in OTA's to find the best combination.

Cordy has spent a lot of time at LT during this time.

You can bet Cordy will be a starter when the season starts.

Most likely at LT or LG.

Night Train
06-04-2015, 01:14 PM
This is nonsense. The Bills are just moving people around in OTA's to find the best combination.

Cordy has spent a lot of time at LT during this time.

You can bet Cordy will be a starter when the season starts.

Most likely at LT or LG.

I think you're onto something but many prefer a TMZ angle with a mystery illness or a possible sex change.

I hear batboy has been spotted in the equipment room.

Meathead
06-04-2015, 01:20 PM
i realize that

but glenn did actually miss time with his mystery illness last preseason. im just worried they might be more concerned with him than anyone is letting on

and its not like glenn has been a probowler, especially last season. he may have been the best lineman but thats like me winning a cripple race. if they do decide to use the bigger guys on the outside, its not without possibility that he loses a competition with richie and miller, esp if he really is suffering from something

Ginger Vitis
06-04-2015, 01:36 PM
If Miller is the best guard prospect drafted since Reuben Brown it is a indictment how little over the years the Bills have attempted to upgrade the guard position over the years through the draft... And Levitre was a better prospect coming out of college than Miller is

The Jokeman
06-04-2015, 02:24 PM
If Miller is the best guard prospect drafted since Reuben Brown it is a indictment how little over the years the Bills have attempted to upgrade the guard position over the years through the draft... And Levitre was a better prospect coming out of college than Miller is

As was Eric Wood, people seem to forget he started out at RG.

ICRockets
06-04-2015, 02:40 PM

I've never heard of Ritzman, Jasper was never hyped by anyone but fans enamored by his size, Wang was never hyped by ANYONE, and Moats and Bell both started for the Bills. So no, none of your examples qualify as "either doesn't make the roster or becomes nothing but an ST'er."

The Jokeman
06-04-2015, 02:43 PM
I've never heard of Ritzman, Jasper was never hyped by anyone but fans enamored by his size, Wang was never hyped by ANYONE, and Moats and Bell both started for the Bills. So no, none of your examples qualify as "either doesn't make the roster or becomes nothing but an ST'er."

Ritzmann got some pub because he was blowing past people with his speed. I only remember it because I or someone made a Young Frankenstein Puttin' on the Ritz comment. That said there are some Bills fans that get enamored with the underdog so guys like Jasper get a bit more play than they should. Then again I held judgement on Jason Peters while many were going gaga on him early on. I think Miller has the attributes to succeed in this offense yet am a little worried about his lack of athleticism.

cookie G
06-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Great news.

After a pre-draft meeting with, Roman, I think, the interviewer came out and said, "OK, he knows the offensve better than I do now".

I just thougth that sounded cool

Mr. Pink
06-04-2015, 03:20 PM

Marcus Easley.

I think that fits.

CleveSteve
06-04-2015, 03:41 PM

The nice thing is Miller is better with the pads on.

Goobylal
06-04-2015, 04:02 PM
The guys mentioned above were all late rounders or UDFA's. Not even close to the same thing.

Meathead
06-04-2015, 04:07 PM
wang did get a lot of attention but i suppose now that i think about it that was because he was literally the first chinese nfler

John Doe
06-04-2015, 04:42 PM
This is the head coach praising him, not a bunch of fans. How can this be a bad thing?

better days
06-04-2015, 05:48 PM
wang did get a lot of attention but i suppose now that i think about it that was because he was literally the first chinese nfler

Like I said, thhe attention Wang got was people making fun of him.

He was the butt of many jokes.

NOBODY ever said he would amount to anything.

OpIv37
06-04-2015, 08:21 PM
The guys mentioned above were all late rounders or UDFA's. Not even close to the same thing.

Yeah because all the Bills' early round picks succeed. James Hardy, Trent Edwards, JP Losman, John McCargo, Aaron Maybin, Donte Whitner, TJ Graham, Kelvin Sheppard, Torrell Troup, Paul Posluzny, Ashton Youboty. That's a HOF roster right there.

ICRockets
06-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Yeah because all the Bills' early round picks succeed. James Hardy, Trent Edwards, JP Losman, John McCargo, Aaron Maybin, Donte Whitner, TJ Graham, Kelvin Sheppard, Torrell Troup, Paul Posluzny, Ashton Youboty. That's a HOF roster right there.

Every single team in the league has early round busts. Every. Single. Team.

OpIv37
06-04-2015, 08:54 PM

That many?

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that being an early round pick doesn't preclude him from being a preseason workout warrior who can't hang in the regular season.

swiper
06-05-2015, 03:51 AM
Like I said, thhe attention Wang got was people making fun of him.

He was the butt of many jokes.

NOBODY ever said he would amount to anything.

That's right. That guy never showed anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet the rest of them can cobble together teams that have made the play-offs.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-05-2015, 05:59 AM
That many?

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that being an early round pick doesn't preclude him from being a preseason workout warrior who can't hang in the regular season.

Ever look at your dream, NE's draft record at early rounds?

2000, Adrian Klemm, JR Redmond,Greg Randell
2001, Richard Seymour, Matt Light, Brock William
2002, Daniel Graham, Deion Branch, Rohan Davey
2003, Ty Warren, Eugen Wilson, Bethel Johnson,
2004, Vince Wilfork, Ben Watson, Marguise Hill,Guss Scott
2005, Logan Mankins, Elis Hobbs, Nick Kaczur
2006, Laurence Maroney, Chad Jackson, David Thomas
2007, Brandon Meriweather
2008, Jarod Mayo, Terrence Wheatley, Shawn Crable,Kevin O'Connell
2009, Patrick Chung, Ron Brace, Darius Butler, Sebastian Vollmer, Brandon Tate, Tyron McKenzie
2010, Devin McCourty, Rob Gronkowski, Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon Spikes, Taylor Price
2011, Nate Solder, Ras-I Dowling, Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley,Ryan Mallett
2012, Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Tavon Wilson, Jake Bequette
2013, Jamie Cullen, Aaron Dobson, Logan Ryan,Duron Harmon

2014 and above are too new to make a judgement. I don't see them doing that great. Really are they better than the Bills draft, or 24-2 (whatever the record they have against the Bills in that span) better than the Bills?

Answer lies in 2000 draft, 6th round pick, Tom Brady. I would still argue to this date that it is a lucky pick for Belichick. A 6th pick QB who should go down history as one of, if not the best, QB of NFL.

OpIv37
06-05-2015, 07:04 AM
Except that's a bad comparison since they are picking 15-20 picks later than us in all those years, sometimes 25 or more.

SCBILLFAN1
06-05-2015, 07:06 AM
John Miller is a tree stump of a guard that is a pain in the ass to uproot.

He also does his homework and knows the playbook inside out.

He's going to be a starting guard for the Buffalo Bills for a long time.

Wow. That's a heck of an endorsement. Didn't Ruben make the pro bowl for about 10 years straight?

ghz in pittsburgh
06-05-2015, 07:44 AM
Except that's a bad comparison since they are picking 15-20 picks later than us in all those years, sometimes 25 or more.

Really, 15-20 pick spots explain all the difference? I thought you know better than that.

When you access any organization, consistent failure almost 100% pointing to the failure at the top. In Bills' case, I think most people will agree it started with Ralph Wilson. Look at the GMs, HCs that paraded through under his watch in the last decade.

Pegula is a different story. Whatever happened in the past bears no consequence to the future because we have a different leader at the very top even if some people are carried over from the past. I won't ***** for the sake of *****ing. Let's see what happens.

justasportsfan
06-05-2015, 09:08 AM

That's because of coaching and the Pats getting lucky with Brady. Their drafting has been as bad as ours

Bill Cody
06-05-2015, 10:55 AM

Yeah too bad Wang was a stiff

Bill Cody
06-05-2015, 10:57 AM
Ever look at your dream, NE's draft record at early rounds?

2009, Patrick Chung, Ron Brace, Darius Butler, Sebastian Vollmer, Brandon Tate, Tyron McKenzie
2010, Devin McCourty, Rob Gronkowski, Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon Spikes, Taylor Price

2014 and above are too new to make a judgement. I don't see them doing that great. Really are they better than the Bills draft, or 24-2 (whatever the record they have against the Bills in that span) better than the Bills?

Answer lies in 2000 draft, 6th round pick, Tom Brady. I would still argue to this date that it is a lucky pick for Belichick. A 6th pick QB who should go down history as one of, if not the best, QB of NFL.

there's a hell of lot more hits on that list that the Bills have. Be serious.

Mr. Miyagi
06-05-2015, 11:19 AM
That's what they said, but didn't the Hawaii QB Tommy Chang get drafted?

Mr. Miyagi
06-05-2015, 11:24 AM
Really, 15-20 pick spots explain all the difference? I thought you know better than that.

When you access any organization, consistent failure almost 100% pointing to the failure at the top. In Bills' case, I think most people will agree it started with Ralph Wilson. Look at the GMs, HCs that paraded through under his watch in the last decade.

Pegula is a different story. Whatever happened in the past bears no consequence to the future because we have a different leader at the very top even if some people are carried over from the past. I won't ***** for the sake of *****ing. Let's see what happens.
LOL there goes another chump getting sucked in to one of Op's never-ending argument.

Save yourself and log off before you blow your brains out, ghz.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-05-2015, 11:28 AM

The bolded are players that have made All Pro teams in a Pats uniform, the underlined are guys who won other awards ranging from rookie of the year, All-Rookie teams, Pro Bowl, and SB MVP.

Buffalo over the same time:
2000: Erik Flowers, Tarvares Tillman, Corey Moore
2001: Nate Clements, Travis Henry, Ron Edwards, Jonas Jennings
2002: Mike Williams, Josh Reed, Ryan Denney, Coy Wire
2003: Willis McGahee*, Chris Kelsey, Angelo Crowell
2004: Lee Evans, JP Losman, Tim Anderson
2005: Roscoe Parrish, Kevin Everett
2006: Donte Whitner, John McCargo, Ashton Youboty
2007: Marshawn Lynch, Paul Posluszny*, Trent Edwards
2008: Leodis McKelvin, James Hardy, Chris Ellis
2009: Aaron Maybin, Eric Wood, Jairus Byrd, Andy Levitre
2010: CJ Spiller, Torell Troup, Alex Carrington
2011: Marcel Dareus, Aaron Williams, Kelvin Sheppard
2012: Stephon Gilmore, Cordy Glenn, TJ Graham
2013: EJ Manuel, Robert Woods, Kiko Alonso, Marquise Goodwin

*Won awards on other teams

2 All Pros compared to 8, and then compare how many of those guys either played the majority of their career with the Pats or are still with the team. Of the Bills players who have won any kind of national award, only two are still with us and one is still on his rookie deal.

Really are they better than the Bills draft, or 24-2 (whatever the record they have against the Bills in that span) better than the Bills?

YES. Without question. Also of note is that the Patriots' have almost the exact opposite problem from us: They hit on linemen picks and fail on DBs and HBs, while we frequently hit on DBs and HBs but many of our linemen suck. I know which I'd rather have.

OpIv37
06-05-2015, 11:33 AM

Wtf are you talking about? I didn't ***** about anything.

I simply pointed out that there are a lot of players who look good early that don't pan out, so it's too soon to get excited about Miller. When someone tried to argue with me by saying he was an early round pick, I simply pointed out that our early round picks haven't fared very well.

When you brought up the Pats, I simply pointed out that their drafts should be worse than ours on account of constantly drafting so much lower.

I wasn't *****ing about the past or trying to blame the present staff for past failures. I simply stated facts.

OpIv37
06-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Oh and the hypocrisy around here continues. If someone complains about the draft, people say "it's too soon-it takes two years to evaluate a draft. Give them a chance."

But then the same people get a hard-on if a rookie has 3 good practices in shorts.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
06-05-2015, 12:19 PM
What's wrong with a hard on?

ghz in pittsburgh
06-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Buddy Nix is not a great GM. But I do believe what he said about getting good NFL players: 1) the pick, which falls on team front office, 2) the player, which is on the player himself, 3) the coaching, connect to the player and put him in the best position to succeed. However, I don't agree they are equal. Number 2) is the most important in my opinion.

That brings back to number 1) which is to forecast the player, how he may work with the coaches and fit the schemes etc. I had a chance meeting Donahoe in a function here years ago. I remember he stressed that "money changes people." A kid in college living in a dorm setting with coaches watching him, now lives in a big house on his own with a big bank account and is supposed to act professional. A big change that often fails people.

Bill Cody
06-05-2015, 01:41 PM
Oh and the hypocrisy around here continues. If someone complains about the draft, people say "it's too soon-it takes two years to evaluate a draft. Give them a chance."

But then the same people get a hard-on if a rookie has 3 good practices in shorts.

Agree. You need to wait until at least 4 good practices in shorts to get out the wood

SpikedLemonade
06-05-2015, 02:19 PM
I have been preaching drafting OLs early for years.

I hope Miller is as great as these early reports suggest he is when they actually have pads on and are hitting.

However, right now this OL is really about hopes rather than reality.

We hope the reason they sucked last year was due to last year's coaching.

We hope Glenn regressed last year only due to his early illness.

We hope Wood's difficulties were due to who was next to him.

We hope Incognito plays at his 2012 Pro Bowl level.

We hope Henderson's early season play is what we see rather than the rest of the season.

I'm hoping along with everyone else.

better days
06-05-2015, 02:26 PM

I hope Miller is as great as these early reports suggest he is when they actually have pads on and are hitting.

We hope Henderson's early season play is what we see rather than the rest of the season.

Hope can become reality.

so it is not necessarily hope or reality.

And I think Wood's regression along with Glenn's regression as well as the overall poor play of the OL can be blamed on poor Coaching.

I hope with better Coaching to see better play this year & I expect that to be reality.

Goobylal
06-05-2015, 03:29 PM

I don't think it's hope to expect Glenn to improve. As for Incognito, I don't expect him to play at a Pro Bowl level and don't think you need hope to expect him to play at an above average level. The rest I'd agree are hope but attainable.

feldspar
06-05-2015, 09:04 PM

Then you keep repeating the same thing over and over and over again...it's too soon to tell.

Why even bother?

I hope you never really did complain about who we drafted and/or didn't draft in any way then. I can't keep track of your complaints...

HHURRICANE
06-06-2015, 11:03 AM
I'm actually going on record to say that this will be one of the Bills best draft classes.

I hated this draft when it was done but I really like how they took guys for different reasons. They didn't have one theme like "best athlete. For example taking O'leary who isn't impressive on his physical ability but is a baller on the field. Our pick in the second round was the opposite with pure raw talent but the ability to be star.

ublinkwescore
06-08-2015, 08:20 AM

That being said, if he can start immediately at G and play at a high level, it will go a long way toward plugging a big hole on the OL. It's another "hope for the best but expect the worst" situation.

Jaime Blatnick.

Jimkelly12203
06-08-2015, 09:16 AM
Wow. That's a heck of an endorsement. Didn't Ruben make the pro bowl for about 10 years straight?

I'm not sure he deserved it in more than half of those years.

Bill Cody
06-08-2015, 09:46 AM
What's wrong with a hard on?

Every day I hear on TV it can be dangerous if it lasts more than 4 hours. That's all I got.

better days
06-08-2015, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure he deserved it in more than half of those years.

That is how the pro bowl works.

MANY players continue to be pro bowl players because of reputation, not their play.