X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Strongman
    • Apr 2006

Rex Ryan on Bills: 'Teams aren't going to want to play us'

NEW YORK -- The Buffalo Bills haven't reached the playoffs since 1999, the longest drought in the NFL.

That is sure to end this season, according to Rex Ryan.

Rex's History of Bold Talk

Never shy behind the microphone, Rex Ryan was at it again Wednesday night, saying he believes the Bills will make the playoffs this season. Here's a look at some of his other bold proclamations. Story
    "I think we'll be in [the playoffs] this year," the Bills' first-year coach said Wednesday night before playing in a charity softball event at Yankee Stadium. "So we'll see."

The playoffs? The Bills?

"I think we will," Ryan said matter-of-factly. "Yep, I think we will."

The former Jets coach, back in New York City for only the second time since being hired by the Bills, displayed his old bravado while speaking to a group of reporters on an outdoor terrace at the stadium.

Bills Own Longest Playoff Drought

If the Bills prove Rex Ryan right and make the playoffs in 2015, they will end the NFL's longest active playoff drought and the longest in team history.

Ryan was a fan favorite during his six seasons with the Jets, once guaranteeing a Super Bowl appearance -- in February, no less. He was fired after missing the playoffs for the fourth straight year.

This time, he didn't want to go as far as guaranteeing a postseason berth.

"I can guarantee you one thing: Teams aren't going to want to play us, I can tell you that much," he said. "You'll see.

"Hey, come watch practice, and you'll probably come away with the same feeling I have. We're loaded on defense and we're loaded at the skill positions. So we'll see."

Ryan inherited a 9-7 team that boasted the fourth-ranked defense. He added playmakers such as running back LeSean McCoy, tight end Charles Clay and receiver Percy Harvin.

He acknowledged that the quarterback situation is "not an ideal situation or there already would be one guy there. But we have enough talent there so that, when it's all said and done, we'll be fine."

More: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13...-rex-ryan-says
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Rex Ryan on Bills: 'Teams aren't going to want to play us'

I'm pretty sure no one wanted to play us last year. Not that we were that good, but the D was great and capable of keeping us in every game.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Buckets
      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
      I'm pretty sure no one wanted to play us last year. Not that we were that good, but the D was great and capable of keeping us in every game.

Comment

• Strongman
        • Apr 2006

Given the talent level of this team, I do think playoffs are a real possibility. We aren't getting to the Super Bowl though without a QB.

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

I think those quotes are from his opening presser, no?
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Bill Cody
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by The King View Post
            Hard to know. You could cut and paste it from like 100 pressers when he was with the Jets.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by The King View Post
              No. Rex went to a Charity Softball game at Yankee Stadium Wednesday night after practice ended.

This is from a PC at that game.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                • Jun 2024

Rex thinks we will make the play-offs this year (I hope he is right), but unlike when he was with the Jets, he will not guarantee the Bills will make the play-offs.

A sign of evolving maturity or a lack of confidence in the Bills?

Comment

• feldspar
                  • Mar 2007

The Buffalo Bills haven't reached the playoffs since 1999, the longest drought in the NFL.
                  I just don't want to hear this ever again.

Is that too much to ask?

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

id like to see rex cool it with the empty bluster. i dont really see how it helps tbh. makes the players feel good probably but does it really contribute anything of substance. seems like hes at risk of adding fuel to the opponents fire as much as ours
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                      Wait that almost sounded like a positive comment, who are you and what have you done with Op?

Comment

• Strongman
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                        id like to see rex cool it with the empty bluster. i dont really see how it helps tbh. makes the players feel good probably but does it really contribute anything of substance. seems like hes at risk of adding fuel to the opponents fire as much as ours
                        I don't see it as bluster. I think he was very-matter-of-fact in saying playoffs are within this team's reach. I'm sure other NFL teams think the same thing when they look at our roster.

Comment

• Meathead
                          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                          • Jul 2002

i guess it sells a lot of tix too
                          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

We all know Rex can talk the talk. It remains to be seen if can get back to the walk to accompany it, like the first two seasons in NY, or if he'll keep limping along, like the last four.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                              Empty bluster? Come on, Meat.

Rex was asked a question by the viral New York press, and he said yes, the Bills will make the playoffs in his usual confident way without hesitation.

Imagine if Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron, or Chan Gailey were in Rex's shoes.

What do you think they would say?

They wouldn't have the coconuts to say it.

Comment

Working...
                              X