PDA

View Full Version : Bills QB play is very concerning.

HHURRICANE
06-07-2015, 07:01 AM
I'll have to admit that even I had some optimism that Cassel would come in and at least play slightly better than Orton. So far not only is EJ being EJ but Cassel isn't looking like much either. And for all you Tyrod fans he spent his time with Simms where he belongs.

As the coaches eluded, they will have their starter in mind when they come out of OTAs. Sadly this seems to be the summary from what I've read:

Cassel: consistent, vet command of offense, missing throws.

EJ: slow to get the ball out, missing throws.

Tyrod: relegated to third string. Enough said.

Marrone freaked out last year for good reason when EJ sucked in pre-season. For all you Orton haters he played well enough to win games. I'm nervous that what we have now isn't even good enough to win games....thoughts?

better days
06-07-2015, 07:04 AM
I'll have to admit that even I had some optimism that Cassel would come in and at least play slightly better than Orton. So far not only is EJ being EJ but Cassel isn't looking like much either. And for all you Tyrod fans he spent his time with Simms where he belongs.

As the coaches eluded, they will have their starter in mind when they come out of OTAs. Sadly this seems to be the summary from what I've read:

Marrone freaked out last year for good reason when EJ sucked in pre-season. For all you Orton haters he played well enough to win games. I'm nervous that what we have now isn't even good enough to win games....thoughts?

LMAO. Orton did not play well enough to beat the Raiders for Gods sake.

It is EARLY in OTA's give it a rest.

HHURRICANE
06-07-2015, 07:09 AM
LMAO. Orton did not play well enough to beat the Raiders for Gods sake.

It is EARLY in OTA's give it a rest.

QBs have bad games. I watched Kelly get benched in his Bills career. I guess Kelly sucks.

Orton played well enough to be the starter the entire year. He had a winning record.

better days
06-07-2015, 07:14 AM
QBs have bad games. I watched Kelly get benched in his Bills career. I guess Kelly sucks.

Orton played well enough to be the starter the entire year. He had a winning record.

OK link a game after Kelly's first year where he lost to a team that only beat 2 other teams the ENTIRE year.

And if that IDIOT Marrone were not the HC last year, Orton would not have started the entire year.

swiper
06-07-2015, 07:23 AM
It's June man. Get real.

(I posted elsewhere) that Jimmy Garoppolo (Brady's replacement) threw 5 INTs at OTAs the other day.

There are new coaches. New players blocking, to hand off to, to get routes down with. New playbook. They're allowed to be this way in June. Especially given all the changes.

Worry if it's the last week in August.

swiper
06-07-2015, 07:29 AM
OK link a game after Kelly's first year where he lost to a team that only beat 2 other teams the ENTIRE year.

And if that IDIOT Marrone were not the HC last year, Orton would not have started the entire year.

I know you don't like Marrone (which is fine), but in his defense - it was as if Orton took the money and ran.

I had some hopes for Orton based on passed performances, but he acted like he could care less in Buffalo a lot of the time. So that was a failed move all the way around.

Was it the Denver game that he dropped back and just kind of laid down for the defender when he should have given more effort to get out of it? That's when I knew he was just stealing money from the Bills.

better days
06-07-2015, 07:54 AM
I know you don't like Marrone (which is fine), but in his defense - it was as if Orton took the money and ran.

I had some hopes for Orton based on passed performances, but he acted like he could care less in Buffalo a lot of the time. So that was a failed move all the way around.

Was it the Denver game that he dropped back and just kind of laid down for the defender when he should have given more effort to get out of it? That's when I knew he was just stealing money from the Bills.

I agree with you about Orton.

But after that game, Marrone should have benched him.

I would have rather have watched EJ or even Tuel than Orton after that.

swiper
06-07-2015, 08:32 AM
past/ not passed - fixing my own typo. :D

better days
06-07-2015, 08:36 AM
past/ not passed - fixing my own typo. :D

Oh, I thought it was a Canadian thing like Centre.

Albany,n.y.
06-07-2015, 08:52 AM

Name one time Kelly got benched. He never got benched. You must be thinking that coming out of a game with an injury = benching. Or maybe you think those end of season tank games that Kelly sat out were benchings. Or if the team was way ahead or hopelessly behind that Kelly leaving was a benching-they weren't all teams pull the starter in blowouts to protect him from injury. I have no idea where you came up with this one, please elaborate.

better days
06-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Name one time Kelly got benched. He never got benched. You must be thinking that coming out of a game with an injury = benching. Or maybe you think those end of season tank games that Kelly sat out were benchings. Or if the team was way ahead or hopelessly behind that Kelly leaving was a benching-they weren't all teams pull the starter in blowouts to protect him from injury. I have no idea where you came up with this one, please elaborate.

I did not really get to see Kelly his first year with the Bills so I thought he might be talking about that year.

HHURRICANE
06-07-2015, 09:33 AM

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-10-27/sports/sp-7527_1_jim-kelly

Maybe you weren't old enough to remember all the games that I do.

HHURRICANE
06-07-2015, 09:34 AM

Now be a man and admit you were wrong.

Novacane
06-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Now be a man and admit you were wrong.

He wasn't wrong. Reich came in the last drive of a lost game. That's not benching Kelly.

Or if the team was way ahead or hopelessly behind that Kelly leaving was a benching-they weren't all teams pull the starter in blowouts to protect him from injury. I have no idea where you came up with this one, please elaborate.

HHURRICANE
06-07-2015, 11:32 AM
He wasn't wrong. Reich came in the last drive of a lost game. That's not benching Kelly.

I should have expected this. That's benched. You guys can justify any way you want. Wasn't only game either.

Novacane
06-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Kelly came out when the Bills were up big too. Are those also benchings?

bleve
06-07-2015, 11:38 AM
The QB position was a concern the second Orton retired (OK, for this season anyway). Now that OTA's are here, nothing different.

It's early, everyone's got some rust. At least Taylor, and Cassel have the excuse they're working with new receivers.

I expect ej to be ej, and Cassel to be Cassel. He'll get the start, and hopefully manage the games as well as Orton.

The biggest difference from last year being not having an OC that couldn't hack it.

Jry44
06-07-2015, 12:15 PM
I'm not overly optimistic in regards to our quarterbacks, but I will point out that these guys are still in OTA'S learning a new system. So give it time.

Also too.... we have two INSANE run after the catch receivers, and the best (arguably ) skill position talent in the league. So we don't need a qb that has to set the league on fire. He just needs to not make glaring mistakes with the ball.

TacklingDummy
06-07-2015, 02:19 PM
The only chance the Bills have is that EJ lives up to the potential that some people seen in him and not the potential that Dummy seen in him.

Meathead
06-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early

BillsImpossible
06-07-2015, 02:32 PM

My thoughts are that Roman knows who's starting and he's not going to tell you.

A lot of the OTAs were closed to the media.

The people that work in the media are going to oblige by what the Bills want them to say because it is in their own best interests.

If a Bills reporter came flat out and said, "Cassel looks like the best of them all," would you be happy or pissed off about such a tip of the hat giving the Colts an advantage?

Every single report I read until the start of the season will be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Don't Panic
06-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Not an Orton fan, but the guy won seven games for $5 million. How many better success rates based on that metric last year in the NFL?

swiper
06-07-2015, 05:21 PM

Yeah. I recall Kelly being benched. So many fans look back at those guys as if they were perfect. It wasn't always the case.

swiper
06-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Not an Orton fan, but the guy won seven games for $5 million. How many better success rates based on that metric last year in the NFL?

Better Days would probably tell you the Bills won those games in spite of Orton. And he's probably be right.

Mace
06-07-2015, 08:12 PM
QB's throw in practice, they won't be doing it when the season starts.

better days
06-07-2015, 09:05 PM
Better Days would probably tell you the Bills won those games in spite of Orton. And he's probably be right.

I will give Orton credit for the Detroit game.

But there were some games I absolutely think Orton had little to no part in winning & the Bills could have won those games with EJ or even Tuel at QB.

MikeInRoch
06-07-2015, 09:47 PM

Maybe you'd get an apology sooner if you referenced a game where he didn't leave due to injury. In that game, he suffered a twisted back, and left because of it.

HHURRICANE
06-08-2015, 03:13 AM
Maybe you'd get an apology sooner if you referenced a game where he didn't leave due to injury. In that game, he suffered a twisted back, and left because of it.

He got pulled, not for an injury.

HHURRICANE
06-08-2015, 03:16 AM

Exactly. People are acting like we're guaranteed to move forward at QB but unless you believe Cassel is better than Orton than the argument is EJ has suddenly developed into s better QB now.

Novacane
06-08-2015, 05:43 AM
Exactly. People are acting like we're guaranteed to move forward at QB but unless you believe Cassel is better than Orton than the argument is EJ has suddenly developed into s better QB now.

No one is acting like that. Don't make stuff up to try and prove a point.

better days
06-08-2015, 07:18 AM

OK, what game was Kelly pulled in?

And Orton was not just pulled for a game in his career.

He was benched for the SEASON in favor of Tebow.

MikeInRoch
06-08-2015, 10:04 AM

Evidence anywhere?

kingJofNYC
06-08-2015, 10:13 AM
There's flat out trash on this team at the QB position. My only hope is Tyrod because he's a bit of an known unknown. Like I know he's not that good, but he may go on a run.

trapezeus
06-08-2015, 10:32 AM
we all know QB play is an issue. and there is nothing the coaches can do to help accuracy or injuries. but they can help mask some of these issues.

i want the team to succeed as much as anyone here. i just think it comes down to scheming and game planning more so than hoping one of these guys gets it and becomes a complete outlier.

SpikedLemonade
06-08-2015, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure our QB needs to be above average, but he needs to hit on a couple of long passes early in the season so that we don't see 8 or 9 in the box all season.

An abundance of run plays and short passes will be our mainstay, but we need to show some ability to hit the occasional long pass.

It may not even be a bomb and could be a quick slant that the WR takes a long way to the house.

Bill Cody
06-08-2015, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure our QB needs to be above average, but he needs to hit on a couple of long passes early in the season so that we don't see 8 or 9 in the box all season.

An abundance of run plays and short passes will be our mainstay, but we need to show some ability to hit the occasional long pass.

It may not even be a bomb and could be a quick slant that the WR takes a long way to the house.

That's not going to be enough. Teams are going to crowd the LOS period against us. You need the QB to perform.

SpikedLemonade
06-08-2015, 11:10 AM
That's not going to be enough. Teams are going to crowd the LOS period against us. You need the QB to perform.

Well if that is what it is going to take then I am afraid we will all be disappointed.

We know what Cassel is and strongly suspect what EJ is.

This D needs to carry us 90% of the way with the O doing the remaining 10%.

HHURRICANE
06-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Evidence anywhere?

I watched the game.

Did you read the article I posted?

Maybe there needs to be an age requirement to post here.

HHURRICANE
06-08-2015, 11:16 AM
No one is acting like that. Don't make stuff up to try and prove a point.

You can go anywhere on this board, in many, many threads, where Orton has been bashed. Find me a post, other than me, where someone posted that Orton is better than what we have.

I'll go on record and say Orton is better than what we currently have at QB.

How am I making stuff up????

gebobs
06-08-2015, 11:28 AM
You can go anywhere on this board, in many, many threads, where Orton has been bashed. Find me a post, other than me, where someone posted that Orton is better than what we have.

That anyone here thinks there has been any significant improvement at quarterback. Orton was a pile of dog crap last year so the bar is low. Cassel might be better but we all know he's just another retread. EJ hasn't shown anyone that he belongs in the league. Tierod is a prayer, nothing more.

swiper
06-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Tie rack

Bill Cody
06-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Well if that is what it is going to take then I am afraid we will all be disappointed.

We know what Cassel is and strongly suspect what EJ is.

This D needs to carry us 90% of the way with the O doing the remaining 10%.

Yes indeed. In a way it's amazing Rex Ryan signed up for this. Generally he had good defenses in NY and played close competitive games with the Patriots. And mostly lost because they were better under center. I'm sure he was disappointed. But at some level he had to expect it. You can't hide bad QB play. It will not surprise me if all three of these guys get a turn in real games, maybe due to injury but probably due to ineffectiveness. It is what it is.

MikeInRoch
06-08-2015, 01:02 PM
I watched the game.

Did you read the article I posted?

Maybe there needs to be an age requirement to post here.

You watched the game almost 30 years ago. You'll forgive me if I don't trust your memory.

Yes, I read your article. Show me where it says "Kelly was pulled, and it wasn't due to injury."

gebobs
06-08-2015, 01:34 PM
You watched the game almost 30 years ago. You'll forgive me if I don't trust your memory.

Yes, I read your article. Show me where it says "Kelly was pulled, and it wasn't due to injury."

Even if he was, pulling your rookie franchise QB who has been sacked five times and threw two interceptions to the team that eventually would win the division hardly can be called being benched. Kelly was back under center the next week and threw three TDs.

But I think we're getting dragged down into semantics. Yes, Kelly had bad games but he was still a great quarterback. Orton had bad games...really bad games last year too. But that didn't mean he was any good otherwise. He had a few brief flashes of competency, but that's it. Was he the best QB available at the time? Sure. But he sucked and sucked mightily.

Are the Bills improved at QB this year? It remains to be seen. Is it time to be concerned yet? Nope. These guys are just going through paces at this point.

gr8slayer
06-08-2015, 03:12 PM
"Bills QB play is very concerning."
Almost 20 years running.

HHURRICANE
06-08-2015, 06:21 PM

I'll forgive you for being wrong. I'm 48...maybe you weren't born yet.

MikeInRoch
06-08-2015, 11:08 PM
I'll forgive you for being wrong. I'm 48...maybe you weren't born yet.

I'm close to that. Although I'll probably live to 100 if I wait for you to produce some evidence to support what you have said. Or 150 if I wait for you to apologize.

better days
06-09-2015, 07:52 AM

Well, last night a watched the game rewind of the Bills Fins game.

Fins 22 Bills 9

You watch that game again & tell us Orton is better than any QB currently on the Bills.

0 TD's for the Bills in that game. Orton was TERRIBLE!

TacklingDummy
06-09-2015, 10:48 AM
Almost 20 years running.

The main reason there hasn't been any Playoffs in 15 years.

Actually it might be the only reason.

swiper
06-09-2015, 11:30 AM

We might still have Jauron as a coach, had there been a better QB here (gag).

gr8slayer
06-09-2015, 12:58 PM

No doubt about it, this would be a top five team with a top 12 QB.

gebobs
06-10-2015, 07:02 AM
No doubt about it, this would be a top five team with a top 12 QB.

This year is a wash. We can't wait to groom another draft pick. Who's available next year?