PDA

View Full Version : Did The Bills Sign Matt Simms To Replace Jeff Tuel or Somebody Else?

BillsImpossible
06-09-2015, 05:25 PM
This has gone kind of under the radar, the Bills have signed another quarterback in Matt Simms off of the Jets waiver wire.

No big deal, right?

Why'd they sign another QB? Because he's a Rex guy? There has to be more to the signing because releasing Tuel and signing Simms makes no sense unless the Bills actually intend on having Simms battle for the 3rd string quarterback position.

Doesn't it make more sense to release Tuel, the 4th quarterback and head into mini-camp with a 3 man competition instead of 4?

The signing of Matt Simms tells me that the coaching staff is considering releasing EJ Manuel next.

The Bills would not have signed another quarterback if they were satisfied with Manuel, Cassel, and Taylor.

The Bills traded for Taylor. Cassel's not going anywhere.

It is starting to look more and more like EJ Manuel will be gone before training camp.

YardRat
06-09-2015, 06:03 PM
It's pretty SOP to have four camp arms this early in the off-season.

Yasgur's Farm
06-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Simple... A 4th camp arm that has more PS eligibility that Tuel... Done.

BillsImpossible
06-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Simple... A 4th camp arm that has more PS eligibility that Tuel... Done.

If this were any other team, I'd agree. Makes perfect sense to have a 4th camp arm.

Doesn't make sense in the Bills current situation. Nobody knows who will be the starter, backup, or third stringer.

It's a much different situation compared to a team with a known starter, that is when it makes sense to bring in a 4th arm.

Not for the Bills. They need as many reps as possible between the quarterbacks, not a 4th arm.

I think Simms was signed to replace Manuel as the 3rd string quarterback.

Novacane
06-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Maybe the brought him in to compete for starter!

BillsImpossible
06-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Maybe the brought him in to compete for starter!

Please God, no.

BillsImpossible
06-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Jeff Tuel could have been the 4th arm.

Why isn't he?

BillsImpossible
06-09-2015, 07:36 PM
It's pretty SOP to have four camp arms this early in the off-season.

So why sign Simms and release Tuel as the 4th arm?

Tuel at least had some experience with the players on offense. I wouldn't call it chemistry, but definitely some kind of familiarity with players like Woods and Watkins was developed between Tuel and the players he's been with since he became a Bill.

Why bring in a new 4th arm when the Bills already had one?

WagonCircler
06-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Hmm. I posted this last night, in your response to one of your posts:

I don't understand. So does Murph think Matt Simms or Tyrod is the most underrated player on the roster?

I'm still kind of scratching my head over the Simms signing. If Rex loves Tyrod as much as everyone says he does, and if he was on board with signing Cassell, then where does Simms fit in, unless EJ is on the outs (hopefully)?

After the QB debacle with the Jets last year, it's hard to believe that Rex goes into the season without a veteran, steady QB, either as a backup or starter. So I don't see Cassell going anywhere.

I don't know. It's going to be an interesting camp.

And you post this today:

This has gone kind of under the radar, the Bills have signed another quarterback in Matt Simms off of the Jets waiver wire.

No big deal, right?

Why'd they sign another QB? Because he's a Rex guy? There has to be more to the signing because releasing Tuel and signing Simms makes no sense unless the Bills actually intend on having Simms battle for the 3rd string quarterback position.

Doesn't it make more sense to release Tuel, the 4th quarterback and head into mini-camp with a 3 man competition instead of 4?

The signing of Matt Simms tells me that the coaching staff is considering releasing EJ Manuel next.

The Bills would not have signed another quarterback if they were satisfied with Manuel, Cassel, and Taylor.

The Bills traded for Taylor. Cassel's not going anywhere.

It is starting to look more and more like EJ Manuel will be gone before training camp.

BillsImpossible
06-09-2015, 07:55 PM
I think we're on to something here, WC.

Why sign Simms? The 4th arm argument was shot down by Jeff Tuel.

Meathead
06-09-2015, 08:12 PM
didnt think about the ps eligibility but thats a great pernt

even with expanded ps squads its tough to carry a qb4 bc they get virtually no reps, literally 0-3 per regular season week unless somebodys injured. some teams decide its worth it to have a guy in the system anyway even tho hes only officially getting mostly mental reps, and its more common now that theyve increased the ps roster. so yeah if they think hes equal to or better than tuel boom why not

the only thing you might say against it is that i believe the bills waiver ticker starts at the bottom, right? they got him so they go to last place i think. so was he worth that at this early juncture?

BillsImpossible
06-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Practice squad eligibility?

Seriously? Come on guys.

elroy16
06-09-2015, 08:29 PM
I don't think there's as much to this move as some are making out. they are going to practice on two fields to start, so they have to have 4 Qbs for the time being. both Tuel and Simms are basically unproven. the main difference is the HC has experience with know but not the other. another is Tuel did nothing in his few chances here.

there's little hope that either will turn into a good starting qb, so I don't think it's a big deal either way.

Topas
06-10-2015, 04:41 AM
The 4th QB is important in camp for us because we run two full practices. So three QBs will not be possible. Therefore we need a fourth.
Why did we then drop Tuel and bring in Simms. I guess there are two reasons, as others already said:
- PS eligibility
- rex likes to sign everybody he ever worked with, even if it is a 4th QB that will be PS at best

DraftBoy
06-10-2015, 05:12 AM
This really isn't complicated, the Bills need a 4th QB on the roster now for mini-camps, OTA's, and TC reps. You don't just have three QB's and potentially wear them out before they get into full conditioning for the sake of the competition.

As for why Simms over Tuel? That's simply a comfort thing for Rex who has worked with Simms before. Simms also has shown more in his career than Tuel.

better days
06-10-2015, 07:55 AM
So why sign Simms and release Tuel as the 4th arm?

Tuel at least had some experience with the players on offense. I wouldn't call it chemistry, but definitely some kind of familiarity with players like Woods and Watkins was developed between Tuel and the players he's been with since he became a Bill.

Why bring in a new 4th arm when the Bills already had one?

You answered this question with your first post.

Rex likes Simms. Tuel, not so much.

better days
06-10-2015, 07:58 AM
If this were any other team, I'd agree. Makes perfect sense to have a 4th camp arm.

Doesn't make sense in the Bills current situation. Nobody knows who will be the starter, backup, or third stringer.

It's a much different situation compared to a team with a known starter, that is when it makes sense to bring in a 4th arm.

Not for the Bills. They need as many reps as possible between the quarterbacks, not a 4th arm.

I think Simms was signed to replace Manuel as the 3rd string quarterback.

With the Bills more than most teams, a 4th QB is necessary for camp.

The Bills are going to be using two fields in TC, with the QB's taking a LOT of Reps.

I think there will be 4 QB's on the roster through most of training camp.

Zoneblitser
06-10-2015, 08:03 AM
Just give me one competent starter out of the whole lot. That's all I care about.

Bill Cody
06-10-2015, 09:06 AM
Let's face it the Manuel haters will spin anything into an EJ departure.

Typ0
06-10-2015, 10:28 AM
Jeff Tuel could have been the 4th arm.

Why isn't he?

Because they think Simms is an upgrade over Tuel at the 4th string position. If management is doing their due diligence, which they appear to be, they are working to upgrade every single spot on the roster at all times. Fans make too much drama crap out of that.

Mr. Pink
06-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Yes. Matt Simms is going to start.

I watched some of his losses and dag nabbit he was awesome!