• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Kaepernick on the trading block?

I don't want him on the Bills, especially at that salary. But I wonder if the organization feels that way.

From what the 'experts' are writing, it would appear the San Francisco 49ers are aboard a burning and sinking ship, but it might not be too late to make a few moves before it sinks and sends the franchise into the cellar for years.

ESPN's John Clayton points out the club could be heading toward the point of trading their most valuable (or expensive) asset in quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Here's a portion of what Clayton wrote:

"Which brings us to thoughts about the future of Colin Kaepernick, who makes $19 million per year and is 27 years old. Any team with a good defense -- which I expect the 49ers to have -- and a talented quarterback can sustain success on the field, and an 8-8 season is unlikely to force a QB change unless there are viable replacement alternatives. But the 49ers might still be tempted to trade Kaepernick to a quarterback-starved franchise for two or three high draft choices, if they found the right deal. They could then look to find a way to come away with a top quarterback prospect in the draft, while retooling other parts of the roster.

• BertSquirtgum
    Legendary Zoner
    • May 2009

Re: Kaepernick on the trading block?

Gross. No thank you.

Comment

• Jimkelly12203
      • Jun 2015

I've seen him play ridiculously well. Throwing absolute bullets down the field in Roman's system. Two years ago i thought he was on the verge of being the best QB in the league. So did many of you. Then something went wrong.

I'll take 2013 Kap, but not the one we've seen the past few years.

And besides... I honestly don't think there is any feat of cap wizardry that could possibly absorb that salary given our current situation. We all love T-pegs and his big wallet now, but when the hard decisions come a few years down the line we will all be singing a different tune. And yes, i'm aware that the salary cap will go up (significantly) every year.

We just can't take on that Salary right now. I mean... maybe i'm wrong. I hope someone can tell me I am. But i don't think so.

Even assuming we could get him (or would want him) is it viable that we could take on that salary if, say, we restructured M. Williams? You can pretty much throw away any hope of resigning Dareus even if that was a possibility.

We all know we need a QB. But i'm sad to say that i think we need to catch lightening in the bottle ala Russel Wilson to get there. We're going to need to strike gold in a later round because we have (out of sheer necessity) built a very good roster around the QB position w/o getting a QB.

I think it's draft steal or bust for this particular incarnation of the Bills. If we want a great, proven QB, we're going to have to gut the DL. It's just the reality of the numbers.
      Last edited by Jimkelly12203; 06-09-2015, 11:51 PM.
      All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
        Legendary Zoner
        • May 2009

I think he started to believe all the great things people were saying about him. Then once he had a couple bad games he lost his confidence. All the same people were saying he sucked and I'm sure that got in his head and didn't help his confidence level. He still hasn't got his confidence back when it comes to throwing the ball, imo.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

Was he a product of his positive surroundings ?? I can say one thing for certain, he'd make sure our cap number is negative.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

I've never liked Kap as any kind of long term answer, and he floated into a position on a team that was damn good without him to begin with. He does have a rocket arm, though.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Swiper
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2010

Roman & Kaepernick had a bad year together in 2014. Why would you think it would magically improve in Buffalo?

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                Roman & Kaepernick had a bad year together in 2014. Why would you think it would magically improve in Buffalo?
                Because we have Sexy Rexy as a head coach, that's going to solve everything. Try and keep up.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Shady25
                  • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Jimkelly12203 View Post
                  I've seen him play ridiculously well. Throwing absolute bullets down the field in Roman's system. Two years ago i thought he was on the verge of being the best QB in the league. So did many of you. Then something went wrong.

I'll take 2013 Kap, but not the one we've seen the past few years.

And besides... I honestly don't think there is any feat of cap wizardry that could possibly absorb that salary given our current situation. We all love T-pegs and his big wallet now, but when the hard decisions come a few years down the line we will all be singing a different tune. And yes, i'm aware that the salary cap will go up (significantly) every year.

We just can't take on that Salary right now. I mean... maybe i'm wrong. I hope someone can tell me I am. But i don't think so.

Even assuming we could get him (or would want him) is it viable that we could take on that salary if, say, we restructured M. Williams? You can pretty much throw away any hope of resigning Dareus even if that was a possibility.

We all know we need a QB. But i'm sad to say that i think we need to catch lightening in the bottle ala Russel Wilson to get there. We're going to need to strike gold in a later round because we have (out of sheer necessity) built a very good roster around the QB position w/o getting a QB.

I think it's draft steal or bust for this particular incarnation of the Bills. If we want a great, proven QB, we're going to have to gut the DL. It's just the reality of the numbers.

2013 Kap and McCoy would be incredible.
                  WILL NOT REMOVE THIS UNTIL SHADY IS SUPERBOWL MVP!!!
                  ROCHESTER KNIGHTHAWKS '12 '13 '14 CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Shady25
                    • Feb 2015

oh.. and Kap has never had nearly the talent on offense that he would be playing with here.

McCoy, Harvin, Clay, Watkins and Woods are all much more talented then anybody he has played with.. Vernon Davis was and is legit, and Frank Gore was about 2 years out of his prime by the time that Kap was even drafted, but lets be real. AJ Jenkins never panned out, and hell neither did Crabtree.. I would take the 2015 Bills offense over any of those 49er offenses that he played with. They had a good line, but nobody to really hit homeruns.
                    WILL NOT REMOVE THIS UNTIL SHADY IS SUPERBOWL MVP!!!
                    ROCHESTER KNIGHTHAWKS '12 '13 '14 CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

I know this is all fantasy dreaming and nothing is wrong with that...but with Dareus needing a new mega deal I believe the plan all along was to make do with journeymen QB's in 2015 to get to the 2016 draft where the QB pool shows multiple talented options, unlike this year.

Plus Rookie contracts go 4-5 years before the big payday. That's uber important for QB's. If Colin Kap is already sky high in salary/cap hit and there are questions about his play going forward ( plus some off-field concerns ) then it will never happen. Connecting the dots to his old OC Roman is just that..connecting dots.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Meathead
                        Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                        • Jul 2002

why would you trade anything when tyrod kaepernick taylor already is on the roster
                        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

JimKelly12203 nailed it. kap was good and then had a bad year last year when harbaugh was the headline and the team was in freefall. i doubt he was as bad as he was last year.

for a team that literally has had trent edwards and ryan fitz as the last fun hope he works out guys, kap would be a bigger step in the right direction.

that being said, there is no space on the payroll for him. and the risk of getting him and having the broken kap is too great for what we give up.

i'd rather roll with the risk that we just blew everything and have a top 5 pick next year than to have a bad team with a qb we can't get rid of and no picks to move on from.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

We can't afford him under the cap so everything else is irrelevant.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Shady25 View Post
                              oh.. and Kap has never had nearly the talent on offense that he would be playing with here.

McCoy, Harvin, Clay, Watkins and Woods are all much more talented then anybody he has played with.. Vernon Davis was and is legit, and Frank Gore was about 2 years out of his prime by the time that Kap was even drafted, but lets be real. AJ Jenkins never panned out, and hell neither did Crabtree.. I would take the 2015 Bills offense over any of those 49er offenses that he played with. They had a good line, but nobody to really hit homeruns.
                              It seems to me the 49ers did pretty well with Alex Smith at QB just before Kaepernick took over.

I think the Bills will be fine with Cassel or whoever wins the QB job with the talent on the Bills offense.

Comment

Working...
                              X