PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cassel struggles in Wednesday's OTA

Ed
06-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Buffalo Bills quarterback Matt Cassel struggled in Wednesday's organized team activity while splitting first-team reps with EJ Manuel.

Cassel was intercepted by rookie cornerback Ronald Darby, who had inside position on receiver Tobais Palmer at the goal line in an 11-on-11. The veteran quarterback was also nearly intercepted twice in a 7-on-7 drill, once when cornerback Mario Butler jumped an outside route and again when safety Jonathan Meeks caught up to a lofted Cassel pass to an open Palmer.

"I thought Matt did some good things and then some other ones he was kind of late on a deep ball -- I think that thing was up the rails and got to be thrown a little bit quicker," coach Rex Ryan said after practice. "But always there's some things that you probably think you can get better at and then some things that he did well."

Manuel was sharper in both 11-on-11 and 7-on-7 drills, although he didn't make any throws Wednesday that stood out while watching practice live.
http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/19135/matt-cassel-struggles-for-bills-in-wednesdays-ota

Dr. Who
06-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Yeah, if you could replace this with EJ struggles in Wednesday's OTA and then have a little comment saying how Tyrod Taylor was sharper in both 11-on-11 and 7-on-7 drills, you'd get much more traffic and comments.

Night Train
06-10-2015, 01:18 PM
OMG !

Oh wait...it's June and no pads.

Can't wait until camp.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-10-2015, 01:47 PM
Cassel has been struggling since 2011.

HHURRICANE
06-10-2015, 02:31 PM
I wonder when they call Orton and beg him to come back?

This is training camp deja-vu from last year.

HHURRICANE
06-10-2015, 02:39 PM
OMG !

Oh wait...it's June and no pads.

Can't wait until camp.

In fairness this is when all these guys should be making their passes. It's alarming that the advantage in OTA's should be going to the offense and our QB's are struggling. When the pads come on it's going to be worse...not better.

Novacane
06-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Practice by practice breakdown? Really?

Yasgur's Farm
06-10-2015, 02:52 PM
7 posts in 2 hours 44 minutes... If it was to say "EJ struggles" it would be 7 pages by now.

trapezeus
06-10-2015, 03:30 PM
to be fair, darby is our first pick of this year's draft. i've never heard of the receiver he threw to. it is possible that its simply poor work by receiver.

i also think we should get used to the fact that this will be a merry-go-round of the 4 qb's struggling. and it's fine up until september. then someone's got to step up.

I still see EJ winning this. and that's not that because he's guaranteed to be awesome, but because he has more upside and more capabilities than an aging cassel.and tyrod is a wildcard. i don't see any of the 4 dominating.

Mace
06-10-2015, 04:56 PM
I just hope he's practicing his handoffs and play action as much as this stupid throwing stuff.

Jake
06-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Not looking good. Rex said we don't have a "Lebron" at QB, let alone a starter or 2nd.

OpIv37
06-10-2015, 05:13 PM
its one bad practice in OTA's- don't worry about it

The double standard continues....

BertSquirtgum
06-10-2015, 05:18 PM
The world is ending, somebody call Jesus asap.

BillsImpossible
06-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Taylor received few, if any, reps with the first team in 11-on-11 drills, although it's possible that he has seen time with the top unit in practices not open to reporters, including Monday and Tuesday's sessions.

Jimkelly12203
06-10-2015, 08:18 PM

I would have already done so. I feel like there's at least a chance they already have.

Mace
06-10-2015, 08:30 PM
I would have already done so. I feel like there's at least a chance they already have.

I figured 3 or 4 times before getting Cassel when they finally left a voicemail that said "fine, be that way, Mister."

Buckets
06-11-2015, 07:05 AM
Cassel has been struggling since 2011.

As has EJ.

Topas
06-11-2015, 07:33 AM
In fairness this is when all these guys should be making their passes. It's alarming that the advantage in OTA's should be going to the offense and our QB's are struggling. When the pads come on it's going to be worse...not better.

Well, I guess I agree and disagree. Yes without Pads the O has an advantage. But it is also clear that in the beginning a D will always beat an O because the O needs a lot more time to mesh.

better days
06-11-2015, 09:01 AM

Orton ​SUCKS.

better days
06-11-2015, 09:08 AM
And I watched the Chiefs Bills game again last night.

That was the game Brown fumbled the ball just before going into the end zone.

Orton looked decent for the first 3 Qtrs.

Going into the 4th qtr, the Bills were up 13-3.

Orton could not lead the Bills to any points in the 4th Qtr despite the defense continuing to play well.

Orton SUCKED ​in the 4th Qtr.

The Chiefs scored 14 points in the 4th Qtr to win 17-13.

better days
06-11-2015, 09:33 AM
And Joe Buscaglia said EJ had the best day by far of the QB's.

swiper
06-11-2015, 11:43 AM
And I watched the Chiefs Bills game again last night.

That was the game Brown fumbled the ball just before going into the end zone.

Orton looked decent for the first 3 Qtrs.

Going into the 4th qtr, the Bills were up 13-3.

Orton could not lead the Bills to any points in the 4th Qtr despite the defense continuing to play well.

Orton SUCKED ​in the 4th Qtr.

The Chiefs scored 14 points in the 4th Qtr to win 17-13.

You're sounding a little fixated on Orton like shiva is on Losman.

better days
06-11-2015, 12:24 PM
You're sounding a little fixated on Orton like shiva is on Losman.

It is a coincidence actually.

I had some game rewinds saved to my DVR & I wanted to watch them & delete them to make room on the DVR.

It is just a coincidence that Orton has sucked in the games I have watched so far.

Still, the Lions game is the only game I can say Orton was responsible for the win.

Yasgur's Farm
06-11-2015, 02:20 PM
Not looking good. Rex said we don't have a "Lebron" at QB, let alone a starter or 2nd.They covered this exact statement heavily this morning on WGR... It's obvious that we do not have a QB on the roster that would rival being a franchise guy like King James... I mean OBVIOUS...EVERYONE KNOWS!!

Ginger Vitis
06-11-2015, 02:30 PM
And Joe Buscaglia said EJ had the best day by far of the QB's.

Did he say that on the radio? I just read his 6/10 blog and Joe said EJ was the best of the bunch but never said "by far"

better days
06-11-2015, 09:10 PM
Did he say that on the radio? I just read his 6/10 blog and Joe said EJ was the best of the bunch but never said "by far"

That was my bad.

He did not say by far that I know.

Still, with the way EJ has been dished, the fact he outplayed all the other QB's for ONE day, should let everyone know he is still in the hunt.

YardRat
06-12-2015, 04:49 AM
From swiper's link in his other thread...

<header class="inline-header">Flynn At Bottom in QBR Rankingshttp://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nfl/players/full/11443.png&w=120&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=true
Since entering the NFL in 2008, Matt Flynn is one of 28 quarterbacks to play in at least 50 games. No one has a lower Total QBR during that span.
</header>
<thead>

QBR

</thead><tbody>
Matt Flynn

Mark Sanchez

Chad Henne

Matt Hasselbeck

Matt Cassel

</tbody>

Oaf
06-12-2015, 11:45 PM
I still don't know why we didn't acquire Kirk Cousins instead of Cassel.

HHURRICANE
06-13-2015, 05:46 AM
That was my bad.

He did not say by far that I know.

Still, with the way EJ has been dished, the fact he outplayed all the other QB's for ONE day, should let everyone know he is still in the hunt.

Anyone on this board can have one good day.