PDA

View Full Version : Chris Williams still recovering from back surgery per Whaley...

HHURRICANE
06-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Just read this on plane.

Will be at mandatory 3 day camp to be evaluated.

Ed
06-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Ryan said, via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com, that Incognito has looked “outstanding” during the team’s offseason practices. Incognito last played for the Dolphins in 2013 before being released amid allegations that he hazed former Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin.

The Bills also provided an update about the status of one of the other competitors for a guard job. Chris Williams has not been taking part in the team’s offseason program, which led to some criticism from Ryan last month. On Wednesday, General Manager Doug Whaley said that Williams is still recuperating from back surgery — his 2014 season ended after three games because of a back injury — and replied, via the Associated Press, that “backs are tricky” when asked when Williams might be ready.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/10/rex-ryan-richie-incognito-has-looked-outstanding/

It sounds like Rex has been pretty happy so far with Incognito and Miller at OG. I think it's safe to say that they're the favorites to win the two starting spots right now. Urbik provides more versatility as a backup since he can play C along with both OG spots and Richardson is younger and cheaper with more upside. Urbik also took a pay cut to stay with the team reducing his cap hit. Considering Chris Williams has the largest cap hit of these guys, questionable ability, and now back issues, I just don't see him making the team regardless of if he gets healthy or not.

SpikedLemonade
06-10-2015, 04:09 PM
We will never see Chris Williams in a Bills uniform in a regular season game again.

Jamiezzz
06-10-2015, 04:20 PM
...and I'm ok with that!!

YardRat
06-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Can you say 'injury settlement'? Sure, you can.

Meathead
06-10-2015, 06:05 PM
marrone made a fairly big deal out of getting the guy too iirc. fa bust. thanks doug

jimmifli
06-10-2015, 11:57 PM
marrone made a fairly big deal out of getting the guy too iirc. fa bust. thanks doug
Yeah he was a vet min type guy that somehow got a big deal. The rest of the NFL was like:
http://i.imgur.com/OZtqOxq.gif

Jake
06-11-2015, 12:40 AM
We will never see Chris Williams in a Bills uniform in a regular season game again.Even if he does come back his days are numbered. This isn't his first back surgery.

casdhf
06-11-2015, 08:26 AM
I think if we cut him his cap number goes up. If that's the case we should IR him and cut him next year.

better days
06-11-2015, 08:54 AM
I think if we cut him his cap number goes up. If that's the case we should IR him and cut him next year.

I don't think he has any guaranteed money coming this year.

If he goes on IR, the Bills will have to pay him his salary for the year.

I expect him to be cut.

Ed
06-11-2015, 10:47 AM
If they cut him they'll save about $2.5 mil in cap space.

casdhf
06-11-2015, 01:05 PM
Cut. Cut now. Cut him.

X-Era
06-11-2015, 06:15 PM
If they cut him they'll save about $2.5 mil in cap space.
Huh? His cap hit is 3.3 and his dead cap if cut is 3.1...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Ed
06-13-2015, 06:01 PM
Huh? His cap hit is 3.3 and his dead cap if cut is 3.1...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/
I think that number was for pre-June 1. If you hover over the dead cap number it says "2015 post-June 1: $1,375,00".

I was using the numbers from overthecap.com, which seems pretty reliable, but there is some discrepancy between the two sites. If you look at the link below, they have the dead cap hit at $875k with a cap savings of $2.475 mil. I rounded up to $2.5 mil. So there seems to be a difference of $500k between the two sites, but either way now that we're post-June 1 the Bills will save somewhere between $2-2.5 mil if they cut Williams. My guess is that spotrac.com is counting the $500k roster bonus as dead space where overthecap.com is counting it as savings. Not sure which is right. I guess it depends when the roster bonus was/is due.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills

SpikedLemonade
06-16-2015, 08:54 AM
....Yet one player, guard Chris Williams, hasn't made a single trip to Orchard Park. The excuse given by the team is that he's recuperating from back surgery, but that surgery was more than six months ago. All of Williams' injured teammates have shown up to workouts at one point or another while the veteran guard hasn't even spoken with Ryan.

Maybe the offseason additions of Richie Incognito and John Miller at guard rubbed him the wrong way, but this week Williams can start getting fined for not showing up to practice. He's likely already lost his $100,000 workout bonus and can be fined $10,000 for not showing up Tuesday. He's expected to report....

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/06/percy_harvins_attendance_and_7_things_to_watch_for_at_buffalo_bills_minicamp.html

SpikedLemonade
06-16-2015, 09:01 AM
@ChrisBrownBills: OL Chris Williams in building but not participating. #Bills

MillsapsBillsFan
06-16-2015, 09:11 AM
....Yet one player, guard Chris Williams, hasn't made a single trip to Orchard Park. The excuse given by the team is that he's recuperating from back surgery, but that surgery was more than six months ago. All of Williams' injured teammates have shown up to workouts at one point or another while the veteran guard hasn't even spoken with Ryan.

Maybe the offseason additions of Richie Incognito and John Miller at guard rubbed him the wrong way, but this week Williams can start getting fined for not showing up to practice. He's likely already lost his $100,000 workout bonus and can be fined $10,000 for not showing up Tuesday. He's expected to report....

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/06/percy_harvins_attendance_and_7_things_to_watch_for_at_buffalo_bills_minicamp.html

I never understood how anyone could just flake out on a $100,000 bonus like that. From the way I understand it if youre injured you dont even need to work out, you just need to be there and get treatment. Obviously I dont have the kind of money these guys do, so its not the same. But theres a lot of things I would do for $100,000 and showing up to a facility for a few hours every now and then is most certainly one of them

Victor7
06-16-2015, 09:45 AM
What a waste of time, money and space this guy has been.

Just end the misery and cut him already.

SpikedLemonade
06-16-2015, 09:51 AM
Evan Mathis is available and affordable but Doug does not want to admit his mistake in signing Chris Williams.

mightysimi
06-16-2015, 01:31 PM
Evan Mathis is available and affordable but Doug does not want to admit his mistake in signing Chris Williams.

What makes you think he is affordable? Even at his last salary we can't afford him. Carucci on Sirius this morning said that if he takes a veteran min base and a bunch of performance based incentives, it might happen. That's a big if considering teams out there that need to spend money like the Raiders.

better days
06-16-2015, 01:44 PM
What a waste of time, money and space this guy has been.

Just end the misery and cut him already.

He has to be declared fit to play by the Dr before the Bills can cut him or as YardRat says, an injury settlement will be what happens.

That is the reason for the evaluation. If the DR says he is healed, the Bills can cut him & owe nothing more to him.

SpikedLemonade
06-16-2015, 02:03 PM
What makes you think he is affordable? Even at his last salary we can't afford him. Carucci on Sirius this morning said that if he takes a veteran min base and a bunch of performance based incentives, it might happen. That's a big if considering teams out there that need to spend money like the Raiders.

I consider less than $5M per season affordable for a current Pro Bowl Guard.

He isn't signing for no veteran minimum base.

better days
06-16-2015, 02:08 PM

Well then he isn't signing with the Bills.

mightysimi
06-16-2015, 03:00 PM

Ok he is affordable. We just can't afford him.

better days
06-16-2015, 04:31 PM
Ok he is affordable. We just can't afford him.

It is not that we can't afford him, it is that there are better ways to spend that money.

The Bills have to watch the cap at this point.

YardRat
06-16-2015, 07:48 PM
lol...What did Ryan say today? "Well, at least I know what he looks like now".