Chris Williams still recovering from back surgery per Whaley...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Chris Williams still recovering from back surgery per Whaley...

Just read this on plane.

Will be at mandatory 3 day camp to be evaluated.
  • Ed
    • Sep 2002

Re: Chris Williams still recovering from back surgery per Whaley...

Ryan said, via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com, that Incognito has looked “outstanding” during the team’s offseason practices. Incognito last played for the Dolphins in 2013 before being released amid allegations that he hazed former Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin.

The Bills also provided an update about the status of one of the other competitors for a guard job. Chris Williams has not been taking part in the team’s offseason program, which led to some criticism from Ryan last month. On Wednesday, General Manager Doug Whaley said that Williams is still recuperating from back surgery — his 2014 season ended after three games because of a back injury — and replied, via the Associated Press, that “backs are tricky” when asked when Williams might be ready.
    The Bills gave Richie Incognito an opportunity to get back into the NFL this year as part of their search for better guard play than they had last season and Incognito's work this spring got a compliment from coach Rex Ryan on Wednesday.

It sounds like Rex has been pretty happy so far with Incognito and Miller at OG. I think it's safe to say that they're the favorites to win the two starting spots right now. Urbik provides more versatility as a backup since he can play C along with both OG spots and Richardson is younger and cheaper with more upside. Urbik also took a pay cut to stay with the team reducing his cap hit. Considering Chris Williams has the largest cap hit of these guys, questionable ability, and now back issues, I just don't see him making the team regardless of if he gets healthy or not.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
      • Jun 2024

We will never see Chris Williams in a Bills uniform in a regular season game again.

Comment

• Jamiezzz
        • Jan 2010

...and I'm ok with that!!

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Can you say 'injury settlement'? Sure, you can.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

marrone made a fairly big deal out of getting the guy too iirc. fa bust. thanks doug
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• jimmifli
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
              marrone made a fairly big deal out of getting the guy too iirc. fa bust. thanks doug
              Yeah he was a vet min type guy that somehow got a big deal. The rest of the NFL was like:

Comment

• Jake
                • Jun 2015

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                We will never see Chris Williams in a Bills uniform in a regular season game again.
                Even if he does come back his days are numbered. This isn't his first back surgery.

Comment

• casdhf
                  • Jul 2002

I think if we cut him his cap number goes up. If that's the case we should IR him and cut him next year.
                  Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                  cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by casdhf View Post
                    I think if we cut him his cap number goes up. If that's the case we should IR him and cut him next year.
                    I don't think he has any guaranteed money coming this year.

If he goes on IR, the Bills will have to pay him his salary for the year.

I expect him to be cut.

Comment

• Ed
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by casdhf View Post
                      If they cut him they'll save about $2.5 mil in cap space.

Comment

• casdhf
                        • Jul 2002

Cut. Cut now. Cut him.
                        Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                        cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                          If they cut him they'll save about $2.5 mil in cap space.
                          Huh? His cap hit is 3.3 and his dead cap if cut is 3.1...

The Buffalo Bills 2024 salary cap table, including team cap space, dead cap figures, and complete breakdowns of player cap hits, salaries, and bonuses.

Comment

• Ed
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                            Huh? His cap hit is 3.3 and his dead cap if cut is 3.1...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/
                            I think that number was for pre-June 1. If you hover over the dead cap number it says "2015 post-June 1: $1,375,00".

I was using the numbers from overthecap.com, which seems pretty reliable, but there is some discrepancy between the two sites. If you look at the link below, they have the dead cap hit at $875k with a cap savings of $2.475 mil. I rounded up to $2.5 mil. So there seems to be a difference of $500k between the two sites, but either way now that we're post-June 1 the Bills will save somewhere between $2-2.5 mil if they cut Williams. My guess is that spotrac.com is counting the $500k roster bonus as dead space where overthecap.com is counting it as savings. Not sure which is right. I guess it depends when the roster bonus was/is due.

Buffalo Bills salary cap, contracts, bonus money, dead money, and cap savings for every player

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                              • Jun 2024

....Yet one player, guard Chris Williams, hasn't made a single trip to Orchard Park. The excuse given by the team is that he's recuperating from back surgery, but that surgery was more than six months ago. All of Williams' injured teammates have shown up to workouts at one point or another while the veteran guard hasn't even spoken with Ryan.

Maybe the offseason additions of Richie Incognito and John Miller at guard rubbed him the wrong way, but this week Williams can start getting fined for not showing up to practice. He's likely already lost his $100,000 workout bonus and can be fined $10,000 for not showing up Tuesday. He's expected to report....

Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2015, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X