PDA

View Full Version : Hodgson

coastal
06-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Is in Sweden working on his skating!

:rofl:

jamjam will listen to the grown-ups someday.

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/21623833.php?contentType=4&contentId=17446338

JATMtheJATM
06-11-2015, 02:02 PM
yes, because murray asked him to work on his skating this summer for next season. i dont see what the issue is?

trapezeus
06-11-2015, 03:29 PM
puck daddy is still pushing the buyout talks. i'm all for it. hodgon is where stafford was when we resigned him and watched him whither into nothing. In fact, at least stafford did well for us. but hodgon hasn't.

i'm ready to move on from him

Night Train
06-11-2015, 03:34 PM
puck daddy is still pushing the buyout talks. i'm all for it. hodgon is where stafford was when we resigned him and watched him whither into nothing. In fact, at least stafford did well for us. but hodgon hasn't.

Agreed.

Gets the $$ and becomes a professional floater.

Soft.

coastal
06-11-2015, 04:07 PM
Enjoy the lutefisk Cody.

JATMtheJATM
06-11-2015, 04:45 PM

I go back and forth. On one hand, Hodgson is never going to be the guy they hoped for, a first line center. On the other hand, Hodgson has been a productive player most of his career (except this season) and is still young. This year could simply be a blip on the radar and he returns to his normal form next year. Which isn't setting the world on fire, but at least produces. I also don't mind hodgson filling in while the team gets better. Let him play while the kids develop, it's not like the sabres are going for it next year.

Hodgson is what he is. A moderately productive player who just doesn't give 100 percent every shift. I don't really care what they do with him. Either way. I'm good with it.

I'm much more happy with the way the team views reinhart and zad. Glad to see the sabres are going with them next year. It would be silly for them to be on rochester next year, IMO

Yasgur's Farm
06-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Hamilton said today...

His problems are conditioning, speed, and reaction on defense... Horrible on defense.

He went on to say that the buyout this year costs only 1/3 actual contract or ~$700K per year against the cap for X years... If hey wait until next season it jumps t 2/3 or $1.4M per year against the cap for X years... Or we can simply pay him the $2.1M for X years and keep him. I think he said X years equal 8... But I'm not sure.

Yasgur's Farm
06-11-2015, 05:39 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/2566/cody-hodgson

Cap Hit: $4.25 million.
2014-15: $3.5 million.
2015-16: $4 million.
2016-17: $4.5 million.
2017-18: $5 million.
2018-19: $5.5 million.
2019-20: UFA
Not sure how the 1/3 = $700K that Hamilton said.

JATMtheJATM
06-11-2015, 07:18 PM
It's true though, if they buy him out this month, the cap hit is much less.

JATMtheJATM
06-11-2015, 07:44 PM
Mckenzie thinks he will be bought out. I imagined that would happen.

coastal
06-12-2015, 05:18 AM
Svenska poika

rbochan
06-12-2015, 06:10 AM
Another stellar Darcy deal.

casdhf
06-12-2015, 06:30 AM
Codias Hodgsonov

trapezeus
06-12-2015, 06:37 AM
at least kassian didnt go on to great things like we were all hoping prior to the deal.

mightysimi
06-15-2015, 10:10 PM
The knock on Hodgson has always been his speed. When he came out they said he had the hands of Stamkos but no where near the same top end speed. I think you can improve speed but only marginally. Either you have it or you don't.

JATMtheJATM
06-15-2015, 10:14 PM
The knock on Hodgson has always been his speed. When he came out they said he had the hands of Stamkos but no where near the same top end speed. I think you can improve speed but only marginally. Either you have it or you don't.

I'm glad to see he's working on his speed. Also that he's willing to work to get better. But he's not part of the long term plan anymore, unless something in him changes dramatically. I like the idea of keeping him as a stop gap and hoping that he gets better enough to get some kind of return, but I admit I hate giving up someone for nothing

mightysimi
06-15-2015, 10:17 PM
I'm glad to see he's working on his speed. Also that he's willing to work to get better. But he's not part of the long term plan anymore, unless something in him changes dramatically. I like the idea of keeping him as a stop gap and hoping that he gets better enough to get some kind of return, but I admit I hate giving up someone for nothing

The only question is why would it have taken this long to work on it? It has always been the knock on him. Well that and the attitude (In Vancouver anyway). I'm with you about paying someone to go away. Seems like such a waste of resources considering the marginal if any cap increase.

JATMtheJATM
06-15-2015, 10:27 PM
The only question is why would it have taken this long to work on it? It has always been the knock on him. Well that and the attitude (In Vancouver anyway). I'm with you about paying someone to go away. Seems like such a waste of resources considering the marginal if any cap increase.

Up till this year, hodgson was productive. So it was just a weakness, and didn't really prohibit his effectiveness that much. But this last year was an absolute disaster for him. And while late to the party, I'm glad he's willing to put in the work and tell murray he will be better next year. May have been a massive wake up call.

And it may be too late.

mightysimi
06-16-2015, 10:19 AM
It might be unless you can hide him on the wing and reduce his defensive responsibilities.

chernobylwraiths
06-16-2015, 10:25 AM
It might be unless you can hide him on the wing and reduce his defensive responsibilities.

I think on the current team, he would have to play wing. Unless you want to put Reinhart, Girgensens or Larsen on the wing. I hate trying to spell hockey players' names, so I don't.

Hodgson has offensive talent and will benefit greatly from a skilled center.

mightysimi
06-16-2015, 10:35 AM
If he can keep up with the play.

trapezeus
06-16-2015, 12:48 PM

if you buy that he's a stafford guy where the light is never going to go on right now, then what you are getting in return is putting in a guy who is logging NHL minutes and getting acclimated to the game.

there is an opportunity cost to sticking it out with hodgson. his time was last year during what was known to be a lost season. and he got significantly worse. he was old enough that you should have seen him be good for short bursts. and we never saw it. tyler ennis showed bursts and consistency. you can argue that on a good team, he will be very valuable.

you are gambling with hodgson with unlikely chances to succeed. put up other guys and give them a chance if they show they are hungry and an asset.

i'm usually with you jatmthejatm. i think patience is needed with young players, but hodgson is old enough to have gotten it.

if we were a great team and needed a guy who could maybe score 12-18 goals on the 3 or 4th line, then he's worth keeping. but we aren't there.

JATMtheJATM
06-16-2015, 12:54 PM
if you buy that he's a stafford guy where the light is never going to go on right now, then what you are getting in return is putting in a guy who is logging NHL minutes and getting acclimated to the game.

there is an opportunity cost to sticking it out with hodgson. his time was last year during what was known to be a lost season. and he got significantly worse. he was old enough that you should have seen him be good for short bursts. and we never saw it. tyler ennis showed bursts and consistency. you can argue that on a good team, he will be very valuable.

you are gambling with hodgson with unlikely chances to succeed. put up other guys and give them a chance if they show they are hungry and an asset.

i'm usually with you jatmthejatm. i think patience is needed with young players, but hodgson is old enough to have gotten it.

if we were a great team and needed a guy who could maybe score 12-18 goals on the 3 or 4th line, then he's worth keeping. but we aren't there.

The problem is, hodgson has gotten it in the past, at least been productive. But the idea that Hodgson is going to be part of the team going forward is probably out either way. I like the idea of him being a stop gap player till the kids are ready, but the buyout penalty...

JATMtheJATM
06-22-2015, 11:37 PM
So I saw a hypothetical trade that may or may not be being discussed in the real NHL circles, but I figured I'd toss it out here to see how people felt.

Hodgson goes to LA, richards comes to buffalo. Buffalo retains part of hodgson's salary and gets LA out of cap jail. But here's the kicker. LA would also add in a major asset, like a first round pick, or top end prospect. How would any of you feel about that?

chernobylwraiths
06-23-2015, 04:56 AM
So I saw a hypothetical trade that may or may not be being discussed in the real NHL circles, but I figured I'd toss it out here to see how people felt.

Hodgson goes to LA, richards comes to buffalo. Buffalo retains part of hodgson's salary and gets LA out of cap jail. But here's the kicker. LA would also add in a major asset, like a first round pick, or top end prospect. How would any of you feel about that?

I think I would take the trade straight up. Getting extra would be gravy.

JATMtheJATM
06-23-2015, 05:30 AM
I think I would take the trade straight up. Getting extra would be gravy.

richards contract and decline in play scares me. but a top end prospect would be great to add to the pile of youth we already have.

chernobylwraiths
06-23-2015, 06:27 AM
didn't Richards have concussion issues?

casdhf
06-23-2015, 07:39 AM
And a brutal recapture if he retires?

coastal
06-23-2015, 08:13 AM
How bout just buy his dumbass out?

mightysimi
06-23-2015, 08:48 AM
And then what? Play him at centre at the expense of developing Reinhardt or Eichel? It is a standard garbage for garbage trade but if you would have to retain salary, why not buy him out and retain that without taking a 7 million dollar train wreck.

chernobylwraiths
06-23-2015, 10:08 AM
what if part of the compensation is their backup goalie or developmental goalie. Doesn't LA have a pretty good backup and young?

- - - Updated - - -

and I thought recapture penalties were paid by the team who signed the original contract?

mightysimi
06-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Martin Jones is RFA I believe and is better than what you have on the roster.

JATMtheJATM
06-23-2015, 01:51 PM
And then what? Play him at centre at the expense of developing Reinhardt or Eichel? It is a standard garbage for garbage trade but if you would have to retain salary, why not buy him out and retain that without taking a 7 million dollar train wreck.

I think that's the plan. Buy out richards after getting him, keeping the asset

- - - Updated - - -

what if part of the compensation is their backup goalie or developmental goalie. Doesn't LA have a pretty good backup and young?

- - - Updated - - -

and I thought recapture penalties were paid by the team who signed the original contract?

Recapture is paid by the kings, I believe

The Jokeman
06-23-2015, 04:55 PM

Forget the picks/prospects we need NHL players. I'd rather see us moving pick #21 maybe a pick in 2016 and Grigorenko, CoHo for Richards and Tyler Toffoli. Yet I know it's a pipe dream.

JATMtheJATM
06-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Girgs? Or grigo? Girgs is untouchable

The Jokeman
06-23-2015, 05:11 PM
Girgs? Or grigo? Girgs is untouchable

I edited, I meant Grigo.

JATMtheJATM
06-23-2015, 05:23 PM
There ya go

JATMtheJATM
06-27-2015, 01:49 PM
buy-out period ends tuesday. still waiting.

coastal
06-29-2015, 10:20 AM
buy-out period ends tuesday. still waiting.
:D