PDA

View Full Version : Eagles release Mathis

Skooby
06-11-2015, 02:05 PM
Wow, one of the best Guards in the league for many years.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/11/eagles-release-evan-mathis/#comment-4309681

SpikedLemonade
06-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Cutting Chris Williams and signing Mathis would be a huge upgrade.

He is 33 years old so nothing more than a 2 year contract makes sense.

It would probably take $5M a year with almost all of it guaranteed.

Let Incognito and Miller fight for the remaining Guard position.

Topas
06-11-2015, 02:38 PM
I think we dont have the Cap left. Especially if we want to sign Dareus.
And he asks for a lot of money. He wanted a new contract from the Eagles, although he was well compensated. Although this might have been only because he hates Kelly.

Meathead
06-11-2015, 02:45 PM
no space. richie and miller are gonna have to be our mathis

SpikedLemonade
06-11-2015, 02:47 PM
I think we dont have the Cap left. Especially if we want to sign Dareus.
And he asks for a lot of money. He wanted a new contract from the Eagles, although he was well compensated. Although this might have been only because he hates Kelly.

Mathis did want a new contract and was making $5.5M this year and $6M the following year, but perhaps it wasn't the amount so much as that none of it was guaranteed. Perhaps $10M over the same 2 years would be enough if it was all guaranteed.

This guy is currently rated as one of the best Guards in the NFL and made the Pro Bowl each of the last 2 years.

He would be worth moving some money around including cutting Chris Williams.

SpikedLemonade
06-11-2015, 02:48 PM

Incognito and Mathis should not even be typed in the same paragraph together let alone the same sentence.

He was rated as the top run blocking Guard last year and we want to run the ball.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Get him get him gogogogogo

Night Train
06-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Is he black ?

Ginger Vitis
06-11-2015, 03:37 PM
Is he black ?

No

sudzy
06-11-2015, 03:52 PM
Is he black ?

Does it matter? No. Is he good? Yes, he is. That's what matters.

SpikedLemonade
06-11-2015, 03:58 PM
Is he black ?

No, so Richie shouldn't have a problem with him.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-11-2015, 04:16 PM

It's a reference to McCoy accusing Kelly of racism

SpikedLemonade
06-11-2015, 04:33 PM
@PFF (https://twitter.com/PFF)
Evan Mathis was our top graded OG from 2011-13, and was 2nd last year in just 9 games. Best OG in the game now available.

SpikedLemonade
06-11-2015, 04:38 PM
@SalSports: Source: #Bills inquiring what Evan Mathis' expectations are before determining own level of interest. (meaning, money and roll)

Night Train
06-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Kaiser Roll ?

SpikedLemonade
06-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Kaiser Roll ?

I assumed a Weck.

cookie G
06-11-2015, 05:06 PM
Kaiser Roll ?

I knew someone was going to catch that.

And Sal used to be a teacher, too.

SpikedLemonade
06-11-2015, 05:15 PM
I knew someone was going to catch that.

And Sal used to be a teacher, too.

And a Coach. Don't disrespect the fact he was a Coach for the girls/young women soccer team He earned that Coach title.

BertSquirtgum
06-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Can the Bills pay him with chicken wings?

Meathead
06-11-2015, 05:25 PM
Incognito and Mathis should not even be typed in the same paragraph together let alone the same sentence.

He was rated as the top run blocking Guard last year and we want to run the ball.

true but no money is no money. unless they decide to make more moves on the top of the roster or change philosophy and start deferring cap, they just wont have the money

starrymessenger
06-11-2015, 05:42 PM

He's great actually, or at least he has been. He is perfect for a zone blocking scheme given his size and athleticism, but he's not necessarily a good fit for Roman's man/power blocking scheme. Not a bully. A great finess guy. Plus he's 34 and missed 7 games last year. And he wants, and should get, top shelf money (in the right O). I doubt he suits up as a Bill. Maybe in Chan's O three years ago.

The King
06-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Hard to think the Bears won't jump all over this

Skooby
06-11-2015, 05:57 PM
@SalSports: Source: #Bills inquiring what Evan Mathis' expectations are before determining own level of interest. (meaning, money and roll)
Well here we go....

X-Era
06-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Very, very unlikely due to the high dollar figure he wants... 6-7 mill per.

Skooby
06-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Very, very unlikely due to the high dollar figure he wants... 6-7 mill per.
We need him, it will almost assure whoever is QB a better than average chance of having some time & secure our ability to run better than last season.

cookie G
06-11-2015, 06:11 PM
And a Coach. Don't disrespect the fact he was a Coach for the girls/young women soccer team He earned that Coach title.

Nah, Sal's a good guy..and i think he found his calling. He's far better than some of the hacks GR had.

X-Era
06-11-2015, 06:17 PM
We need him, it will almost assure whoever is QB a better than average chance of having some time & secure our ability to run better than last season.Need doesn't equal can happen. Money is the issue here. I also heard he's not a blocking scheme fit.

cookie G
06-11-2015, 06:37 PM
Need doesn't equal can happen. Money is the issue here. I also heard he's not a blocking scheme fit.

Well yes, he's a multiple probowler and considered one of the best run blocking guards in the league.

That's definitely not our scheme.

SpikedLemonade
06-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Well yes, he's a multiple probowler and considered one of the best run blocking guards in the league.

Nope.

Any fat bastard can play the OL in Buffalo.

Signing up as many WRs/TEs that run after the catch as possible is the Buffalo way.

Whether they actually get the ball due to poor QB and OL play is a different story.

Skooby
06-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Need doesn't equal can happen. Money is the issue here. I also heard he's not a blocking scheme fit.
Is that why the Bills are taking his temp ??

SpikedLemonade
06-11-2015, 06:51 PM
@SalSports: According to @spotrac Bills have roughy $7.1M cap space. Mathis was scheduled to make $5.5M this year, $6M next year and was unhappy.

YardRat
06-11-2015, 06:55 PM
If we had cap room as in years past I'd be all over it, even for just a one or two season rental, but considering the spending spree they went on during free agency on shiny toys and other contracts coming due it probably isn't worth the shuffling to make it happen.

SpikedLemonade
06-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Wouldn't cutting Chris Williams and Matt Cassel be enough cap room?

Perhaps Rex should put our money where his big mouth is if he truly believes so much in Tyrod.

Skooby
06-11-2015, 07:07 PM
If we had cap room as in years past I'd be all over it, even for just a one or two season rental, but considering the spending spree they went on during free agency on shiny toys and other contracts coming due it probably isn't worth the shuffling to make it happen.
There's always room for another toy.

BertSquirtgum
06-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Not going to happen. He's going to an actual super bowl contender.

SpikedLemonade
06-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Not going to happen. He's going to an actual super bowl contender.

What? The Bills are not an actual super bowl contender?

So Rex's boasts are all about selling tickets?

better days
06-11-2015, 09:03 PM
No, so Richie shouldn't have a problem with him.

Richie has no problems with blacks.

His problem is with whiney pussies that play like crap.

Beebe
06-11-2015, 09:40 PM
cut chris williams now and make this happen.

BertSquirtgum
06-11-2015, 09:58 PM
What? The Bills are not an actual super bowl contender?

So Rex's boasts are all about selling tickets?

Let's be realistic here. Without a competent quarterback the Bills have no chance of going to the Super Bowl.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-11-2015, 10:07 PM

A one year rental would be easy-peezy. It's 2016 that would present a problem, but not an insurmountable one. He is one of the best linemen in the league.

bleve
06-11-2015, 10:27 PM

It was the girls track team. Don't listen to better daze.

Meathead
06-12-2015, 01:47 AM
Richie has no problems with blacks.

His problem is with whiney pussies that play like crap.

richie does seem kind of a jerk but the race stuff was ultra-predictably blown way out of proportion. the racial slurs were going both ways, it was part of how they talked normally, but of course it only gets noticed one way right now. try getting that thru some thick skulls tho

swiper
06-12-2015, 03:40 AM

Mathis > Incognito

YardRat
06-12-2015, 04:21 AM
A one year rental would be easy-peezy. It's 2016 that would present a problem, but not an insurmountable one. He is one of the best linemen in the league.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/chris-williams/

If I'm reading this right (it's early and haven't had first coffee yet) cutting C.Williams would actually add to the cap another 1.15 million (roster and workout bonuses negated, but '16 and '17 amortized signing bonus pushed up), so it's not as easy as that, at least.

X-Era
06-12-2015, 04:23 AM

If I'm reading this right (it's early and haven't had first coffee yet) cutting C.Williams would actually add to the cap another 1.15 million (roster and workout bonuses negated, but '16 and '17 amortized signing bonus pushed up), so it's not as easy as that, at least.
I saw the same thing.

X-Era
06-12-2015, 04:27 AM

Don't get me wrong. I'd be very happy with the move. But the money piece makes me think it just isn't likely.

As far as the fit it was not my original comment. It was a comment that Mathis is a road grader not a zone blocker. But that was based on the assumption that Roman will run a zone blocking scheme which remains to be seen.

I'd love to have him. I'm just thinking it's unlikely.

YardRat
06-12-2015, 04:33 AM
I thought it was reported earlier Roman and Kroger were going to run more 'man'?

ghz in pittsburgh
06-12-2015, 05:25 AM
If they can't get a injury settlement for C. Williams, I see them putting him on IR the whole year. Basically they need the roster spot.

Skooby
06-12-2015, 06:49 AM
If they can't get a injury settlement for C. Williams, I see them putting him on IR the whole year. Basically they need the roster spot.
I feel this is the case & may give the Bills some cap relief.

starrymessenger
06-12-2015, 07:15 AM
I thought it was reported earlier Roman and Kroger were going to run more 'man'?

Thats right, just like what Roman ran in SF. Rex has been pretty clear on this as well. He wants, and appears to have and to have recruited (ie Miller) players that are better suited to man/power (leaving to one side for now the question whether they will be good enuf to begin with even in that scheme). So there can be no question of changing the scheme to get the best out of the best zone blocking guard in the game.

And Mathis is not a road grader/mauler (at 300 lbs). He's a finess player at his position. He played zone in Carolina, in Cinci and more recently with the Eagles.

JMO but I like zone blocking and a concern I have is how well McCoy will do not only behind a lesser quality line than he has had but in a man system. He's not Frank Gore type runner. I guess we'll see.

BuffaloRedleg
06-12-2015, 07:24 AM
For once the Bills didn't wait in Free Agency (which usually drives fans around here into a frenzy of madness) and it is biting us in the ass.

Skooby
06-12-2015, 07:42 AM
For once the Bills didn't wait in Free Agency (which usually drives fans around here into a frenzy of madness) and it is biting us in the ass.
We have the money to go get him right now, so how did it bite us ?

better days
06-12-2015, 07:45 AM
It was the girls track team. Don't listen to better daze.

Back in the 1990's, Sal did two podcasts.

One was a Buffalo Bills podcast & the other was an NFL podcast he did with a Bears fan from Chicago named Johnny who has since died.

I listened to both podcasts all the time on a first generation IPOD.

On the NFL podcast, talking to Johnny, Sal said he coached the girls soccer team.

I am happy for Sal & the success he has had, he earned everything he has.

And I enjoy listening to him on WGR even more than I enjoyed his podcasts.

GingerP
06-12-2015, 08:05 AM

It would save money this year. It is after June 1, so the acceleration of remaining bonus money would hit the cap in 2016.

SpikedLemonade
06-12-2015, 09:19 AM
5 POTENTIAL CAUSE AND EFFECT NFL MOVES

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/USATSI_6567676_160074578_lowres.jpg (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/)Bills release G Chris Williams; Sign Evan Mathis
The Bills overreached when they signed Williams to a 4 year $13.15M free agent contract (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/4073/) in 2014, who was in decline in his final year in St. Louis prior to. His release would clear $1.975M from their 2015 cap, giving the Bills just under $10M in space (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/) to run with. Mathis had been increasingly upset with the Eagles organization’s rash moves in the past calendar year, and they finally granted him his release. He rated as the #2 overall guard (https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2014&pos=G&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1&conf=-1&yr=-1&wk=1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17) in 2014 according to Pro Football Focus and should have plenty of offers on the table.

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/5-potential-cause-and-effect-nfl-moves/

SpikedLemonade
06-12-2015, 09:32 AM
Should Buffalo Bills make run at former Eagles guard Evan Mathis?

Orchard Park, N.Y. — A few months ago, it wouldn't even be a question. If someone had told Buffalo Bills (http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/06/syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/) general manager Doug Whaley and coach Rex Ryan that Philadelphia Eagles guard Evan Mathis would hit the open market in June, they would have targeted him.

Now it's not as cut and dry for the Bills, who had big issues on the offensive line a year ago. They drafted Louisville guard John Miller in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft, they have been pleased with newly signed veteran Richie Incognito, and cap space isn't as readily available for the Buffalo front office.

Is that enough for the Bills to hold off on taking a run at one of the most established guards in the NFL? Let's weigh the pros and cons.

The argument for signing Mathis

Despite the fact that he will turn 34 during the 2015 NFL season begins, Mathis is still one of the best guards in the league. The analytics site Pro Football Focus graded Mathis as the best guard in the NFL from 2011 to 2013, and he was second during an injury plagued 2014 season. Not many guards have shown that type of consistency.

Consider, too, that the Bills have talked an awful lot about wanting to run the football a lot in 2015. The term "ground and pound" has been used often over at One Bills Drive, and the Bills will need an improved offensive line to make that philosophy work....

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/06/should_the_buffalo_bills_make_a_run_at_former_eagles_guard_evan_mathis.html

IlluminatusUIUC
06-12-2015, 09:53 AM

As GignerP noted, post June 1st cuts are treated differently for cap reasons. Cutting Williams would clear a good amount of space this year but push dead cap into 2016, which is why it would hurt more next year.

Bill Cody
06-12-2015, 10:10 AM
More proof that Shady was right, Chip Kelly is a racist pig, releasing yet another black star....oh wait...

Meathead
06-12-2015, 12:56 PM
why do you have to make everything about race

Skooby
06-12-2015, 02:34 PM
If we can get him on a one year for more $ now with a team decided option for next year, what's the problem ?? Pay him $7 Million guaranteed right now with $7 Million next year, for a total of $14 Million. I think that will do the trick.

SpikedLemonade
06-12-2015, 04:34 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/417671684/Photo_56_bigger.jpgJohn WawrowVerified account‏@john_wawrow (https://twitter.com/john_wawrow)

Might be disappointing news to some, but hearing #Bills (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash) have no intention of taking a run at signing free-agent OG Evan Mathis.
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover js-actionButton js-actionReply js-tooltip" data-modal="ProfileTweet-reply" type="button" title="Reply" style="color: rgb(204, 214, 221); font-family: inherit; font-size: 16px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px 2px; position: relative; top: 4px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">Reply</button>
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton js-actionButton js-actionRetweet js-tooltip" title="Retweet" data-modal="ProfileTweet-retweet" type="button" style="color: rgb(204, 214, 221); font-family: inherit; font-size: 16px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px 2px; position: relative; top: 4px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">Retweet</button>
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton js-actionButton js-actionFavorite js-tooltip" title="Favorite" type="button" style="color: rgb(204, 214, 221); font-family: inherit; font-size: 16px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px 2px; position: relative; top: 4px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">Favorite</button>
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover dropdown-toggle js-tooltip js-dropdown-toggle" type="button" title="More" aria-haspopup="true" style="color: rgb(204, 214, 221); font-family: inherit; font-size: 16px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px 2px; position: relative; top: 4px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">More</button>

Mace
06-12-2015, 05:09 PM

Yes, and I read that Mathis is a zone blocker not a road grading mauler.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000496735/article/four-potential-landing-spots-for-evan-mathis

Also looking at http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills/, post June-1, cap savings is 2.475 million less 875,000 dead ?

Anyhoo, a second aging vet stopgap takes time from Miller and reps from Richardson (who I think they need find out about this year), and better they have issues they can work out in year one than year two with their guards anyway instead of one too many bandaids.

swiper
06-12-2015, 05:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/417671684/Photo_56_bigger.jpgJohn WawrowVerified account‏@john_wawrow (https://twitter.com/john_wawrow)

Might be disappointing news to some, but hearing #Bills (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash) have no intention of taking a run at signing free-agent OG Evan Mathis.
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover js-actionButton js-actionReply js-tooltip" data-modal="ProfileTweet-reply" type="button" title="Reply" style="color: rgb(204, 214, 221); font-family: inherit; font-size: 16px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px 2px; position: relative; top: 4px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">Reply</button>
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton js-actionButton js-actionRetweet js-tooltip" title="Retweet" data-modal="ProfileTweet-retweet" type="button" style="color: rgb(204, 214, 221); font-family: inherit; font-size: 16px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px 2px; position: relative; top: 4px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">Retweet</button>
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton js-actionButton js-actionFavorite js-tooltip" title="Favorite" type="button" style="color: rgb(204, 214, 221); font-family: inherit; font-size: 16px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px 2px; position: relative; top: 4px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">Favorite</button>
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover dropdown-toggle js-tooltip js-dropdown-toggle" type="button" title="More" aria-haspopup="true" style="color: rgb(204, 214, 221); font-family: inherit; font-size: 16px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px 2px; position: relative; top: 4px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">More</button>

See post #51 for the reasons for that.

YardRat
06-12-2015, 05:31 PM
It would save money this year. It is after June 1, so the acceleration of remaining bonus money would hit the cap in 2016.

As GignerP noted, post June 1st cuts are treated differently for cap reasons. Cutting Williams would clear a good amount of space this year but push dead cap into 2016, which is why it would hurt more next year.

I completely ignored the fact that it is currently after June 1, thanks.

Mace
06-12-2015, 05:51 PM
I completely ignored the fact that it is currently after June 1, thanks.

I get way less confused about it so far using overthecap which someone here pointed out to me once.

Skooby
06-12-2015, 10:56 PM
Well it was fun to dream while it lasted, go Ritchie !!

IlluminatusUIUC
06-12-2015, 11:07 PM
Yes, and I read that Mathis is a zone blocker not a road grading mauler.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000496735/article/four-potential-landing-spots-for-evan-mathis

Also looking at http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills/, post June-1, cap savings is 2.475 million less 875,000 dead ?

Anyhoo, a second aging vet stopgap takes time from Miller and reps from Richardson (who I think they need find out about this year), and better they have issues they can work out in year one than year two with their guards anyway instead of one too many bandaids.

Mathis is not some vet stopgap, Incognito is a vet stopgap. Mathis is one of the best guards in the league and would represent an enormous upgrade over either Miller or Richardson.

HHURRICANE
06-13-2015, 05:42 AM
We don't have the cap and based on early play from our guards this is an unnecessary pick up.

better days
06-13-2015, 09:38 AM
Mathis is not some vet stopgap, Incognito is a vet stopgap. Mathis is one of the best guards in the league and would represent an enormous upgrade over either Miller or Richardson.

I agree, Mathis would be an upgrade for this year over Miller or Richardson.

But at 34 years old, probably not in a year or two.

The problem is some team with bigger problems than the Bills at Guard will sign Mathis to a contract that has more years than Mathis has left in him.

Zoneblitser
06-14-2015, 04:46 AM
We don't have the cap and based on early play from our guards this is an unnecessary pick up.
Based on early play?
You realize they are running around in shorts right now. Typical bills reterrick ignoring the signing of an area of need based on the performance of a player in OTA's.

Zoneblitser
06-14-2015, 08:48 AM
Based on early play?
You realize they are running around in shorts right now. Typical bills reterrick ignoring the signing of an area of need based on the performance of a player in OTA's.

Rhetoric!

SpikedLemonade
06-15-2015, 08:48 AM
....Pro Bowl (http://www.nfl.com/probowl) guards don't generally hit the open market in mid-June, so it will be interesting to see what sort of contract Mathis earns.

Buffalo Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF) coach Rex Ryan admitted his team is looking into the possibility of bringing Mathis to town.

"I think he's a good football player; there's no doubt," Ryan said at a charity softball game Saturday evening, via ESPN. "We'll do our due diligence (http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/19207/rex-ryan-happy-with-bills-guard-play-but-will-look-into-evan-mathis), so to speak, but I'm pretty happy with our guards."

The Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF) are one of several teams that could use help along the offensive line (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000496735/article/four-potential-landing-spots-for-evan-mathis), which is what Rosenhaus hopes will increase his clients value as training camp approaches.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000496990/article/agent-multiple-teams-interested-in-evan-mathis?campaign=Twitter_atn

SpikedLemonade
06-15-2015, 02:26 PM
What's Evan Mathis worth on the open market? An executive, agent and cap expert guestimate

...So I asked for some opinions and had three sources guestimate what Mathis would land on the open market. The three-man anonymous panel consisted of a front-office executive, a salary cap expert and an agent.Here were the results:

Executive: 1 year, $3-3.5 million with incentives to reach $5 million

Salary Cap Expert: 3 years, $14-17 million with $6-8 million guaranteed

Agent: 1 year, $3-4 million with incentives to reach $5.5 million

If the executive and agent are in the right range, this was a mistake by Mathis and agent Drew Rosenhaus (http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/06/evan_mathis_is_in_no_hurry_to_pick_his_next_team_a.html). They miscalculated his market. The 33-year-old would have to reach certain attainable incentives to even recoup what he was supposed to pocket this season if he was on the Eagles roster.....

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/06/whats_evan_mathis_worth_on_the_open_market_exec_ag.html

We can easily afford this guy especially if we cut Chris Williams.

Initially, I thought it would cost $10M over 2 years fully guaranteed, but we may be able to get him for even less than that as long as it is guaranteed. We could give him a 3rd year to spread out the money, but none of that 3rd year should be guaranteed.

Come on Doug! Give this OL a chance at being decent.

better days
06-15-2015, 02:30 PM
What's Evan Mathis worth on the open market? An executive, agent and cap expert guestimate

...So I asked for some opinions and had three sources guestimate what Mathis would land on the open market. The three-man anonymous panel consisted of a front-office executive, a salary cap expert and an agent.Here were the results:

Executive: 1 year, $3-3.5 million with incentives to reach $5 million

Salary Cap Expert: 3 years, $14-17 million with $6-8 million guaranteed

Agent: 1 year, $3-4 million with incentives to reach $5.5 million

If the executive and agent are in the right range, this was a mistake by Mathis and agent Drew Rosenhaus (http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/06/evan_mathis_is_in_no_hurry_to_pick_his_next_team_a.html). They miscalculated his market. The 33-year-old would have to reach certain attainable incentives to even recoup what he was supposed to pocket this season if he was on the Eagles roster.....

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/06/whats_evan_mathis_worth_on_the_open_market_exec_ag.html

We can easily afford this guy especially if we cut Chris Williams.

Initially, I thought thought it would cost $10M over 2 years fully guaranteed, but we maybe able to get him for even less than that as long as it is guaranteed. We could give him a 3rd year to spread out the money, but none of that 3rd year should be guaranteed.

Well, except the Eagles CUT Mathis.

It was the Eagles choice, not that of Mathis.

SpikedLemonade
06-15-2015, 02:34 PM
How refreshing that your first instinct wasn't to once again fluff Rex's coq by saying that Rex is happy with his current Guards. Baby steps.

better days
06-15-2015, 03:00 PM
How refreshing that your first instinct wasn't to once again fluff Rex's coq by saying that Rex is happy with his current Guards. Baby steps.

Well, Rex is happy enough with his Guards that the Bills are not going to overpay for a 34 year old player.

Happy?

SpikedLemonade
06-15-2015, 03:06 PM
Yup. 100% homer.

swiper
06-15-2015, 05:09 PM
FACT: Mathis > Incognito (on his best day)

And without question better than a rookie. And would be a great guy for the rookie to learn under.

better days
06-16-2015, 06:24 AM
FACT: Mathis > Incognito (on his best day)

And without question better than a rookie. And would be a great guy for the rookie to learn under.

FACT Mathis is 34 years old & you have no idea how good he actually is.

Tell us about all the Eagles games you watched last year.

And you do realize the Eagles missed the playoffs last year right?

kscdogbillsfan1221
06-16-2015, 07:44 AM

i admittedly didn't watch any eagles games last year, but the fact that the eagles didn't make the playoffs doesn't make one player on the O line not good.

Does the fact that we didn't make the playoffs mean that Mario Williams or Marcell Dareus sucked last year?

better days
06-16-2015, 07:55 AM
i admittedly didn't watch any eagles games last year, but the fact that the eagles didn't make the playoffs doesn't make one player on the O line not good.

Does the fact that we didn't make the playoffs mean that Mario Williams or Marcell Dareus sucked last year?

No, my point is one player does not make the difference between playoffs or no playoffs unless that one player is the QB.

And Swiper does not have any idea if Mathis really is any better than Incognito at age 34.

One thing we do know is that Incognito is a much more physical "bully" type player than Mathis.

Is it possible that Mathis is a better player than Incognito? Absolutely.

Would Mathis get the Bills even one more win playing at guard instead of Incognito?

Very Questionable. And the fact is Chip Kelly could easily have kept Mathis but chose to cut him loose.

SpikedLemonade
06-16-2015, 09:13 AM
@SBNationNFL: The 49ers, Colts, Dolphins and Chiefs are the four frontrunners in the Evan Mathis sweepstakeshttp://t.co/xzw6G62nOihttp://t.co/YIGLx7fdw4

swiper
06-16-2015, 11:24 AM

Let me rephrase.

At 34, Mathis > Incognito (on his best day)

Whether a team makes the play-offs or not NEVER depends on the play of a single guard. That's abundantly ridiculous.

swiper
06-16-2015, 11:27 AM
@SBNationNFL: The 49ers, Colts, Dolphins and Chiefs are the four frontrunners in the Evan Mathis sweepstakeshttp://t.co/xzw6G62nOihttp://t.co/YIGLx7fdw4

All teams proven better than the Bills. Teams that still want to upgrade their line? Novel idea, eh?

- - - Updated - - -

No, my point is one player does not make the difference between playoffs or no playoffs unless that one player is the QB.

But you said that it did. LOL.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-16-2015, 11:38 AM

Only one person we picked up made the playoffs last year. Not Clay, not Incognito, not Harvin, not Felton, not McCoy, not Rex or Roman, not Cassel. Only Tyrod Taylor, and he contributed nothing to the Ravens in 2014.

So if you are trying to argue whether we should sign a player based on whether their team made the playoffs last year, this offseason has been a disaster.

Would Mathis get the Bills even one more win playing at guard instead of Incognito?

Mathis wouldn't replace Incognito, he'd likely replace Miller and move Incognito to RG. And since our offense is going to live and die by LeSean McCoy, then yes I think adding an All Pro Guard would have a significant impact on our production and thus our W-L.

Very Questionable. And the fact is Chip Kelly could easily have kept Mathis but chose to cut him loose.

Kelly could have easily kept DeSean Jackson too, but cut him loose as well. He's re-making the team in his own image, for better or worse.

better days
06-16-2015, 12:13 PM
Let me rephrase.

At 34, Mathis > Incognito (on his best day)

Whether a team makes the play-offs or not NEVER depends on the play of a single guard. That's abundantly ridiculous.

Let me rephrase. You have NO IDEA if Mathis is a better player than Incognito TODAY.

And I DOUBT you have seen either of them play more than a couple games at most in the last couple years.

And Mathis is a finesse player, not a mauler like Incognito, so he might not fit what the Bills want in a Guard even if per chance he is better than Incognito.

And since you agree, Mathis would not be the missing piece to the playoffs, why should the Bills PAY him to come to Buffalo?

better days
06-16-2015, 12:18 PM
Only one person we picked up made the playoffs last year. Not Clay, not Incognito, not Harvin, not Felton, not McCoy, not Rex or Roman, not Cassel. Only Tyrod Taylor, and he contributed nothing to the Ravens in 2014.

So if you are trying to argue whether we should sign a player based on whether their team made the playoffs last year, this offseason has been a disaster.

Mathis wouldn't replace Incognito, he'd likely replace Miller and move Incognito to RG. And since our offense is going to live and die by LeSean McCoy, then yes I think adding an All Pro Guard would have a significant impact on our production and thus our W-L.

Kelly could have easily kept DeSean Jackson too, but cut him loose as well. He's re-making the team in his own image, for better or worse.

As I said to Swiper, you have no idea if Mathis at 34 is a better Guard than Miller or Incognito.

And as I said even if he is, Mathis is a finesse player & the Bills want maulers which both Incognito & Miller are.

BertSquirtgum
06-16-2015, 12:36 PM
but but but, he doesn't fit the scheme. Who the F cares. He is a pro-bowl guard. Sign him up and cut that waste Chris Williams.

better days
06-16-2015, 12:46 PM
but but but, he doesn't fit the scheme. Who the F cares. He is a pro-bowl guard. Sign him up and cut that waste Chris Williams.

Williams will be cut, but the only way Mathis comes to Buffalo is on the cheap.

Mouldsie
06-17-2015, 09:15 PM
If you wouldn't take Mathis on this team you're insane.

Whether the $ works or not would be interesting to track

YardRat
06-18-2015, 05:03 AM
They were willing to piss away $2.4mil on CWilliams, another million for a much better player is kind of a no-brainer as long as they don't have to weaken the team elsewhere to do it.

Mouldsie
08-07-2015, 09:10 PM
Mathis >>>>> Incognito

BertSquirtgum
08-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Mathis >>>>> Incognito

No

swiper
08-08-2015, 05:00 AM
No

Yes

better days
08-08-2015, 05:49 AM
Yes

And yet Mathis is still not signed by any team.

He is so great, you would think a team would be happy to pay him $5.5Mill.

swiper
08-08-2015, 05:56 AM
His asking price is too high.

Like I said in another thread, I'm fine with things the way they are. I was not a big incognito fan, and still think he gets over-rated at times, but Ryan says he's solid and named him starter. Good enough for me. And certainly can't be worse than last year.

So I am looking forward to seeing what Incognito-Wood-Miller do in preseason.

better days
08-08-2015, 06:00 AM
His asking price is too high.

Like I said in another thread, I'm fine with things the way they are. I was not a big incognito fan, and still think he gets over-rated at times, but Ryan says he's solid and named him starter. Good enough for me. And certainly can't be worse than last year.

So I am looking forward to seeing what Incognito-Wood-Miller do in preseason.

Well, that is what I have been saying about Mathis.

He is asking for too much money for a 34 year old finesse Guard.

I think he is waiting for an injury to happen & a team gets desperate for a Guard.

swiper
08-08-2015, 06:02 AM
Well, that is what I have been saying about Mathis.

He is asking for too much money for a 34 year old finesse Guard.

I think he is waiting for an injury to happen & a team gets desperate for a Guard.

Kind of like what Orton did. Waited until some team decided it needed to overpay to patch a hole.

HHURRICANE
08-08-2015, 07:48 AM
From what I'm hearing I hear Miami is working hard because their oline is awful.

better days
08-08-2015, 09:36 AM
From what I'm hearing I hear Miami is working hard because their oline is awful.

I have heard that as well, but the Fins don't want to pay him $5.5 Mill.

I don't know if they have the money to pay him after paying for Suh.

swiper
08-25-2015, 06:51 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/broncos-sign-evan-mathis-to-1-year-deal/ar-BBm5WNz?ocid=ansmsnsports11

Broncos sign Mathis to 1-year deal.

BertSquirtgum
08-25-2015, 08:04 PM
https://b.thumbs.redditmedia.com/c2AOvy1EJCfTlt9o37WEIRrgkIZBrwjofWYSL0Nik6s.png

JoeMama
08-25-2015, 09:49 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/11/eagles-release-evan-mathis/#comment-4309681

Hey may be good for depth but I think Richie Incognito and John Miller invalidate the need for him unless we're talking depth.

Still don't have much faith in Cyril Richardson or Kraig Urbick.

But hey if we can afford him and he's happy to take a backup role in Buffalo, why not?

But somebody else will surely offer him a starting job.

Edit: Oops, I didn't see Denver already snagged him up.

swiper
08-26-2015, 04:18 AM
With Mathis signing and rumors of Levitre losing his starting job in Tennessee... the discussion will turn to "should we go after Levitre?"

The Jokeman
08-26-2015, 07:11 AM
Hey may be good for depth but I think Richie Incognito and John Miller invalidate the need for him unless we're talking depth.

Still don't have much faith in Cyril Richardson or Kraig Urbick.

But hey if we can afford him and he's happy to take a backup role in Buffalo, why not?

But somebody else will surely offer him a starting job.

Edit: Oops, I didn't see Denver already snagged him up.

I have small faith in Urbik but none in Richardson.

trapezeus
08-26-2015, 10:05 AM
what about the guy who the broncos cut? is he interesting prospect or total scrub.

Ingtar33
08-26-2015, 02:18 PM

Chip Kelly's ego is dismantling the Eagles roster. If they're 8-8 or worse this year he needs to be shown the door before he does anything more to that team (personally i think they'll be a lot worse then 8-8, Bradford looks rancid from what I'm hearing)