PDA

View Full Version : This team is grasping at straws.

swiper
06-12-2015, 03:44 AM
LINK (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13060132/new-england-patriots-agree-sign-qb-matt-flynn)

YardRat
06-12-2015, 04:10 AM
Well, on a side note (because it's a side note to the article itself, literally) it's nice to see Matt Cassel's name on a list of the bottom five QB's in QBR rating since 2008 :(

Night Train
06-12-2015, 05:46 AM
Need a backup if Brady is suspended early on.

casdhf
06-12-2015, 06:34 AM
As much as I would like to read this as a sign that the Pats understand Brady's gone for the first 4 ... it probably just means the QB they cut is worse than Flynn. Which, at this stage of the year, is meaningless.

The King
06-12-2015, 06:35 AM
They still make the playoffs. So I wish we were "grasping at straws"

better days
06-12-2015, 08:04 AM
As much as I would like to read this as a sign that the Pats understand Brady's gone for the first 4 ... it probably just means the QB they cut is worse than Flynn. Which, at this stage of the year, is meaningless.

This says to me the Pats* are worried Brady will miss at least two games & they don't think Garoppolo can hold down the fort in Brady's stead.

feldspar
06-12-2015, 08:12 AM
The Bills just signed Matt Simms and Tyrod Taylor is in contention for the starting gig.

Talk about grasping at straws.

better days
06-12-2015, 08:17 AM
The Bills just signed Matt Simms and Tyrod Taylor is in contention for the starting gig.

Talk about grasping at straws.

Agreed. But Matt Simms brother Chris was on the John Murphy show the other day.

He said everyone that has seen his brother throw raves about his arm.

Chris said Matt needs to get some experience, he didn't get much in college because of losing two HC's & transferring to a JC.

Goobylal
06-12-2015, 08:26 AM
With Rog refusing to recuse himself, Tommy's getting the full 4 games.

GingerP
06-12-2015, 10:25 AM
This says to me the Pats* are worried Brady will miss at least two games & they don't think Garoppolo can hold down the fort in Brady's stead.

I don't think it reflects on Garoppolo, they are going to need someone to back him up while Brady sits. Flynn makes a lot of sense in that role, more than Garrett Gilbert anyway.

Night Train
06-12-2015, 10:38 AM
With Rog refusing to recuse himself, Tommy's getting the full 4 games.

If they reduce it to 1 or 2 games, Troy Vincent should walk right out of the NFL office for good. That's castration.

The world is being told Kraft owns Goodell and the NFL office is a puppet show.

OpIv37
06-12-2015, 11:11 AM
If he were actually expected to see the field, I would agree that this is grasping at straws.

But this is a camp arm/insurance policy. He'll only see the field if Brady gets all 4 games AND Garrapolo is either completely incompetent or gets hurt. And honesty, at this point, who are they going to get to be 3rd string that's better? A bet back up may get cut late in preseason, but then he'll have no time to learn the playbook.

This is a 'meh' signing. It's for depth and nothing more. Whether you love or hate the Pats, it's nothing to get worked up over.

MillsapsBillsFan
06-12-2015, 11:16 AM

I think thats grasping at straws. All it says to me is that they are worried brady might be out for a little while (I agree with you there) and that they want a veteran backup in case garoppolo goes down. I dont think that this has anything to do with lacking faith in him

better days
06-12-2015, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=better days;4101970]This says to me the Pats* are worried Brady will miss at least two games & they don't think Garoppolo can hold down the fort in Brady's stead.[/Q

I think thats grasping at straws. All it says to me is that they are worried brady might be out for a little while (I agree with you there) and that they want a veteran backup in case garoppolo goes down. I dont think that this has anything to do with lacking faith in him

Well, I guess we will know week two if Brady sits out.

It would not surprise me to see Garoppolo start the game & get benched in favor of Flynn after the Bills pick Garoppolo off a few times like the Jets sat Geno against the Bills last season.

Mace
06-12-2015, 04:30 PM
To me anyway, grasping at straws means Trent Edwards, who still hasn't retired yet.