PDA

View Full Version : A Brief Summary of Greg Roman's Offensive Stats 2011-2014

BillsImpossible
06-13-2015, 05:37 PM
2011 - (Alex Smith, QB)...........................................Overall 26th Run 8th Pass 29th

2012 - (Alex Smith 8 games, Colin Kaepernick 8 games) Overall 11th Run 4th Pass 23rd

2013 - (Colin Kaepernick, QB)....................................Overall 24th Run 3rd Pass 30th

2014 - (Colin Kaepernick, QB)....................................Overall 20th Run 4th Pass 30th

2011 - 2014 offensive ranking average........................Overall 20th Run 5th Pass 28th

Greg Roman is great at running the ball. His passing game suffers year after year. Could be because he's too good at one thing.

The 49ers were one play away from winning the Super Bowl in 2012 with the 23rd ranked passing offense. Why they didn't let Kaepernick run it in to the endzone, I don't know. Reminds me of last year's Super Bowl with Lynch.

Just Run It

Roman and Ryan are an offensive match made in football heaven. Rex is the ground and Roman is the pound.

Don't try to be something they're not. Run the ball all the way to a Super Bowl Championship in Santa Clara, CA.

-----------------------------

What Happened To Colin Kaepernick? The following numbers are interesting.

In 2012 (8 games) Kaepernick had 218 passing attempts, a 62.4% completion rate, 10 TD's and 3 Int's.

He ran the ball 63 times for 415 yards with a 6.6 yards per carry average and 5 rushing TD's. He should have had 6 rushing TD's and won a ring.

In 2013 Kaepernick had 416 passing attempts, a 58.4% completion rate, 21 TD's and 8 Int's.

He ran the ball only 92 times for 524 yards with a 5.7 yards per carry average and 4 rushing TD's. He should have had at least 126 rushing attempts.

In 2014 Kaepernick had 478 passing attempts, a 60.5% completion rate, 19 TD's and 10 Int's.

He ran the ball 104 times for 639 yards with a 6.1 yards per carry average and 1 rushing TD. He should have had at least 126 rushing attempts.

Matt Cassel is Alex Smith in another body. It's going to be EJ or Tyrod.

I hope Greg Roman rewinds the clock back to 2012 and let's his quarterback run all over the joint in 2015.

More run, less pass fits this offense. This is not the no huddle K-Gun hybrid.

The NFL doesn't want run happy football, they prefer pretty pass plays and lots of scoring so the Bills are kind of running uphill when it comes to that, but I think the league is in for a big change this season.

SpikedLemonade
06-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Let me give you a chance to lie to yourself -- was the 49'ers OL last year or in the time frame above better or worse than our current OL when it comes to run blocking?

Oaf
06-13-2015, 06:01 PM
Niners probably won 75% of their games in that span yeah?

BillsImpossible
06-13-2015, 06:15 PM
Let me give you a chance to lie to yourself -- was the 49'ers OL last year or in the time frame above better or worse than our current OL when it comes to run blocking?

They were better, but what does that have to do with the Bills current situation? As if a Pro Bowl starting guard and John Miller don't matter.

Let me give you a chance to correct yourself. The Bills are much better on the offensive line this season, are they not?

SpikedLemonade
06-13-2015, 06:24 PM
Don't know if they are. No one has hit another player in pads yet.

To hype up a 3rd round pick as a starter should tell you how much this is about hope.

Incognito made the Pro Bowl once in his career in 2012 and you call him a "Pro Bowl Starting Guard".

Pretty huge reaches there buddy.

YardRat
06-13-2015, 06:56 PM
So what you're saying is for the majority of his tenure in San Francisco Roman's reputation for being able to run the ball is exaggerated because he had a QB adding 400-600 yards annually to the total?

BillsImpossible
06-13-2015, 07:14 PM

To hype up a 3rd round pick as a starter should tell you how much this is about hope.

Incognito made the Pro Bowl once in his career in 2012 and you call him a "Pro Bowl Starting Guard".

Incognito was suspended by the Dolphins in early November 2013. How was he playing that season?

The Bills said they drafted Miller to be a starter and all indications are pointing in that direction.

To think that the Bills haven't made a huge upgrade at both guard positions is a huge reach.

Why digress?

What do you think about Greg Roman's offense related to the numbers above?

Thurmal
06-13-2015, 07:17 PM
The 49ers were one play away from winning the Super Bowl in 2012 with the 23rd ranked passing offense. Why they didn't let Kaepernick run it in to the endzone, I don't know. Reminds me of last year's Super Bowl with Lynch.

I couldn't believe Roman went away from Gore in that game. He was just gashing Baltimore in the fourth quarter.

BillsImpossible
06-13-2015, 07:17 PM
So what you're saying is for the majority of his tenure in San Francisco Roman's reputation for being able to run the ball is exaggerated because he had a QB adding 400-600 yards annually to the total?

No, I'm saying Roman should have had Kaepernick run more.

JoeMama
06-13-2015, 07:36 PM
For the record, I wanted Trestman, not Roman.

We need a guy that can generate a passing game. I wanted Josh McCown and a reunion with Trestman, but it wasn't in the cards.

The Jags proved in 2011 that you can have the top rusher in the NFL and a top 6 defense and still go 5-11.

The only thing that matters in the year 2015 is a good QB.

Mace
06-13-2015, 08:52 PM
For the record, I wanted Trestman, not Roman.

We need a guy that can generate a passing game. I wanted Josh McCown and a reunion with Trestman, but it wasn't in the cards.

Josh McCown and Trestman again do not exactly inspire visions of glory to inspire a passing game though, Mama unless you want to pretend you're the Bears of 2013 for 5 games.

better days
06-13-2015, 09:00 PM

Well, there are MANY MANY players that never get to the Pro Bowl.

NEVER Even once in a LONG career for some players. YES Incognito is a Pro Bowl Guard.

JoeMama
06-14-2015, 01:41 AM
Josh McCown and Trestman again do not exactly inspire visions of glory to inspire a passing game though, Mama unless you want to pretend you're the Bears of 2013 for 5 games.

And McCown was amazing while he filled in for Cutler under Trestman.

And he'd be better than any of the grubs we have wasting our time at QB.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to puzzle this one together.

McCown/Trestman > Manuel/Cassel/Taylor/Roman

The facts speak for themselves.

YardRat
06-14-2015, 05:41 AM
If you take away the QB contributions, their ranking would be 2011--15th, 2012---11th, 2013---20th, 2014---23rd. (Give or take a couple of spots, I didn't subtract QB rushing yards from every team in the league, but the only real significant contributors to their team's total are Kap, Wilson and Newton basically.)

HHURRICANE
06-14-2015, 07:48 AM
Are we really discussing the merits of Greg Roman after the High School coaching job we had at OC the last two years?

Coaching on either side of the ball will not be our problem this year.

YardRat
06-14-2015, 07:54 AM
The OC and Oline coaching positions have definitely been upgraded.

GvilleBills
06-14-2015, 08:44 AM
I don't put any real stock into a 1x pro bowler being labeled a "pro bowl guard". Like he's a perennial recipient of the "honor".

Is it technically correct? Sure. Sounds better than saying "one time pro bowler".
Doesn't really have the gravitas of an All-Pro selection, considering the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest and a joke. Was Richie even a starter? Or did he get the nod because players before him, for whatever reason, didn't play?

Just my 2 cents, and I'm glad we have Richie. I think he will be an upgrade. How much? Idk, they dont even have pads on. If he does well against our DL, I'll be stoked.

I just think trumping him up on the strength of a single Pro Bowl (not an All-Pro, which is legit) is a little weak sauce.

- - - Updated - - -

swiper
06-14-2015, 08:45 AM
The OC and Oline coaching positions have definitely been upgraded.

LOL. Be careful. No games have been played yet!

POTLAND PSILBYLO
06-14-2015, 09:09 AM
Look Picklepiss. Take your hate and your Bruins and jump on a greasy traffic cone.

Sorry. I j just wanted to call you a name. How was that Wegmans sub?

GvilleBills
06-14-2015, 09:18 AM
Look Picklepiss. Take your hate and your Bruins and jump on a greasy traffic cone.

Sorry. I j just wanted to call you a name. How was that Wegmans sub?

Well, Picklepiss is a new one. And friggin' awesome.

JoeMama
06-14-2015, 10:07 AM
I don't put any real stock into a 1x pro bowler being labeled a "pro bowl guard". Like he's a perennial recipient of the "honor".

Is it technically correct? Sure. Sounds better than saying "one time pro bowler".
Doesn't really have the gravitas of an All-Pro selection, considering the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest and a joke. Was Richie even a starter? Or did he get the nod because players before him, for whatever reason, didn't play?

Just my 2 cents, and I'm glad we have Richie. I think he will be an upgrade. How much? Idk, they dont even have pads on. If he does well against our DL, I'll be stoked.

I just think trumping him up on the strength of a single Pro Bowl (not an All-Pro, which is legit) is a little weak sauce.

- - - Updated - - -

Richie kicked ass when he was in Buffalo.

And he kicked ass while he was in Miami.

Dude may be a monster, but he's our monster now.

And I'm thrilled.

Talent is talent. The rest is just ancillary.

BillsImpossible
06-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Niners probably won 75% of their games in that span yeah?

Good point, Oaf.

2011 - 13-3 (Lost Conference Championship to the Giants 20-17 in OT)

2012 - 11-4-1 (Lost Super Bowl 47 on the last play to the Ravens 34-31)

2013 - 12-4 (Lost NFC Championship to the Seahawks 23-17)

2014 - 8-8 (Did not qualify for playoffs)

44 wins, 19 losses, 1 tie

The 49ers won 70% of their games in 4 years without a, "passing quarterback."

They lost to the Giants, Ravens and Seahawks in the playoffs. They all won the Super Bowl, and none of those teams had great passing offenses. They had great defenses, and a strong running game. Manning, Flacco and Wilson are not elite QB's.

If Kaepernick and Lynch both won the Super Bowl on the last play of the game, I don't think people would call the NFL a, "passing league."

Tom Brady and the Patriots are the only reasons why the NFL is a, "passing league." Things are about to change.

I think Roman made a mistake when he tried to have Kaepernick throw more and run less. That may have been Harbaugh's doing though.

Go figure, a head coach that used to be a quarterback in the NFL wanted to see Kaepernick throw more and run less. That was a huge mistake.

EDS
06-15-2015, 07:39 AM
If you take away the QB contributions, their ranking would be 2011--15th, 2012---11th, 2013---20th, 2014---23rd. (Give or take a couple of spots, I didn't subtract QB rushing yards from every team in the league, but the only real significant contributors to their team's total are Kap, Wilson and Newton basically.)

I guess if Taylor is the QB the Bills can take advantage of QB rushing totals to bolster their running game as well. A dominant O-line can help too of course, looking at the examples of Dallas last year and Philly two years ago.

starrymessenger
06-17-2015, 03:06 PM
Well, there are MANY MANY players that never get to the Pro Bowl.

NEVER Even once in a LONG career for some players. YES Incognito is a Pro Bowl Guard.

Ritchie was a good guard often playing at a high level long before 2012 as far as actually playing the position is concerned.
He might have made more pro bowls had he not always been flat out crazy. They try not to name notorious lunatics to Pro Bowls.
I think one can see a glimmer of lucidity and therefor of hope however. I believe he was far crazier and more of a hindrance to his team (despite his ability) as a Ram than as a Dolphin (tho I suppose this can be debated).
I kinda think he's more under control now. I actually expect him to really help us out this year.