PDA

View Full Version : Tyrod Taylor Wins The First of Three Minicamp Practices

BillsImpossible
06-16-2015, 08:23 PM
One down, and two very important practices to go tomorrow and Thursday.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/06/16/progress-as-bills-qb-competition-hits-offseason-home-stretch/

Two practices are all that remain in the Buffalo Bills’ offseason.
Two mandatory minicamp sessions, on Wednesday and Thursday, are what separate the players from a six-week hiatus before preparation for the 2015 season shifts into high gear during training camp.
The Separation has begun, thanks Vic.

Thank you, Sal Capaccio for being the only sports reporter in Buffalo to tell us Bills fans who you thought won the first day of the quarterback competition in minicamp in your most thorough objective sports reporting opinion.

I went to wkbw.com to find a shred of information from Joe Buscaglia to no avail, wivb.com same thing, and wgrz.com had nothing to say either.

AM radio wins again.

http://www.wgr550.com/QBs-take-step-forward-on-first-day-of-minicamp/21642110

Although not perfect by any means, and still some plays and throws that each would like to have back, as a group, Tyrod Taylor, EJ Manuel, and Matt Cassel all had their collective best day from those the media has been able to watch.

Taylor was the most effective of the bunch, hitting on a high rate of completions in 11-on-11, as well as tossing at least three touchdowns in 7-on-7 red zone work. Taylor rotated reps with Matt Cassel with the first-team offense.

Something has to be said about the two quarterbacks taking the rotated reps with the first team on day 1 of minicamp.

Taylor and Cassel started day 1 of minicamp, probably because they earned it.

EJ Manuel got 2nd team reps and showed why.

Manuel worked mostly with the second-unit, but looked confident in the pocket and took chances. A couple of those chances resulted in big plays. However, he also short-armed a couple passes to the sideline, which has been a theme several times during these practices.

The theme called EJ Manuel got 2nd team reps to begin minicamp, and Tyrod Taylor was the most effective of all three quarterbacks.

Will EJ get first team reps tomorrow? Why should he?

better days
06-16-2015, 10:43 PM
One down, and two very important practices to go tomorrow and Thursday.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/06/16/progress-as-bills-qb-competition-hits-offseason-home-stretch/

Two practices are all that remain in the Buffalo Bills’ offseason.
Two mandatory minicamp sessions, on Wednesday and Thursday, are what separate the players from a six-week hiatus before preparation for the 2015 season shifts into high gear during training camp.
The Separation has begun, thanks Vic.

Thank you, Sal Capaccio for being the only sports reporter in Buffalo to tell us Bills fans who you thought won the first day of the quarterback competition in minicamp in your most thorough objective sports reporting opinion.

I went to wkbw.com to find a shred of information from Joe Buscaglia to no avail, wivb.com same thing, and wgrz.com had nothing to say either.

AM radio wins again.

http://www.wgr550.com/QBs-take-step-forward-on-first-day-of-minicamp/21642110

Although not perfect by any means, and still some plays and throws that each would like to have back, as a group, Tyrod Taylor, EJ Manuel, and Matt Cassel all had their collective best day from those the media has been able to watch.

Taylor was the most effective of the bunch, hitting on a high rate of completions in 11-on-11, as well as tossing at least three touchdowns in 7-on-7 red zone work. Taylor rotated reps with Matt Cassel with the first-team offense.

Something has to be said about the two quarterbacks taking the rotated reps with the first team on day 1 of minicamp.

Taylor and Cassel started day 1 of minicamp, probably because they earned it.

EJ Manuel got 2nd team reps and showed why.

Manuel worked mostly with the second-unit, but looked confident in the pocket and took chances. A couple of those chances resulted in big plays. However, he also short-armed a couple passes to the sideline, which has been a theme several times during these practices.

The theme called EJ Manuel got 2nd team reps to begin minicamp, and Tyrod Taylor was the most effective of all three quarterbacks.

Will EJ get first team reps tomorrow? Why should he?

Joe Buscaglia has a podcast he does for WKBW. Check it out. He has addressed every position on his podcast.

Topas
06-16-2015, 10:58 PM
What did he say?

ghz in pittsburgh
06-17-2015, 05:13 AM
Not sure. Vic says Manuel stood out. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/06/16/bills-qbs-show-some-signs-of-progress/

There is the stats line like Sal was based on, but there is also the subtle play changes like Vic singled out in his article on Manuel's one play. I'd think that kind of play happens more often than the outside viewers know and most won't go for big play like that particular one from Manuel. Regardless of your opinion of Manuel, you have to agree that there is a growth on his part.

DraftBoy
06-17-2015, 05:26 AM
One of the Bills beat writers on Twitter said that Cassel was the best yesterday.

So three different beat reporters, three different answers.

JoeMama
06-17-2015, 05:30 AM
None of this matters.

These QBs are all complete garbage.

Our best hope is that they can successfully manage a hand off and/or dump pass to LeSean McCoy.

And let the defense do what they do best.

And pray to God it's enough to reach 10-6 for once.

swiper
06-17-2015, 06:23 AM
There are 4 QBs on the roster. Taylor is merely making a play to remain a part of the final roster. No more than that.

casdhf
06-17-2015, 07:01 AM
I'll take progress at this point over, "they all suck."

djjimkelly
06-17-2015, 07:26 AM
One of the Bills beat writers on Twitter said that Cassel was the best yesterday.

So three different beat reporters, three different answers.

i read the first article it was praising manuel where the hell does it say tyrod killed it? god this qb competition is going to be hard to listen to the fans. shut up and wait

Meathead
06-17-2015, 07:32 AM
breaking news: one billion

= pcentage likelihood ej starts

better days
06-17-2015, 07:56 AM
i read the first article it was praising manuel where the hell does it say tyrod killed it? god this qb competition is going to be hard to listen to the fans. shut up and wait

The article Sal wrote for WGR said that Tyrod had the best day.

Sal said EJ hit some big plays but missed some short stuff on the outside.

IMO, the most important thing the Bills QB has to do is avoid turnovers.

Limit the INT's & fumbles, score a few points & this team will win a lot of games.

better days
06-17-2015, 08:13 AM
And Cam Newton who just signed a huge contract with the Panthers, had a 58.5% comp rate last year compared to EJ's 58.6% rate over 14 games.

kscdogbillsfan1221
06-17-2015, 08:36 AM
And Cam Newton who just signed a huge contract with the Panthers, had a 58.5% comp rate last year compared to EJ's 58.6% rate over 14 games.

yea,but stats don't tell the whole story. I've watched Cam Newton enough to see (or believe anyway) that he is on target more often than EJ is. Cam passes the 'eye test' whereas EJ hasn't.... not yet anyway.

better days
06-17-2015, 08:52 AM
yea,but stats don't tell the whole story. I've watched Cam Newton enough to see (or believe anyway) that he is on target more often than EJ is. Cam passes the 'eye test' whereas EJ hasn't.... not yet anyway.

I agree about stats, I'm not really a stats guy myself.

But the numbers say Cam is not on target any more than EJ.

And I watch Cam at least twice a year when the Panthers play the Bucs.

IMO, what Cam has to offer is BIG play ability.

We saw a little of that big play ability from EJ his rookie year.

Last year we saw none of that from EJ & I think that was because of Marrone.

We will see what EJ has to offer this year with the shackles off.

Meathead
06-17-2015, 12:39 PM
im really looking forward to seeing ej start a few games now that hes had his chance to stew and watch and learn. should see a completely different guy. whether thats good enuf to keep the job idk but right now im seeing it as quite possible, maybe fitty pcent. if he does i think we will see some cam in his play, maybe less big plays but higher compl pcent and more consistent drives

Buckets
06-17-2015, 12:48 PM
There are 4 QBs on the roster. Taylor is merely making a play to remain a part of the final roster. No more than that.

And what are the others making a play for???

WagonCircler
06-17-2015, 01:03 PM
breaking news: one billion

= pcentage likelihood ej starts

Sal C has EJs odds of starting at 10%.

One of you is wrong.

SPOILER ALERT:

It's you.

better days
06-17-2015, 01:34 PM
Sal C has EJs odds of starting at 10%.

One of you is wrong.

SPOILER ALERT:

It's you.

If the season were to start tomorrow, I would have to say Sal & you are right.

I would put my money on Cassel.

But TC has not started yet.

The pads have not come on yet.

EJ has time to improve in TC.

And if Cassel wins the starting job, does he play the entire season?

Or maybe he gets injured & EJ or Tyrod take over the job & keep it which is what happened to Cassel last year.

Meathead
06-17-2015, 02:00 PM
even subtracting his ten percent that still leaves the odds at nine hundred ninety nine million nine hundred ninety nine thousand nine hundred and ninety pcent

who looks stupid now

coastal
06-17-2015, 02:16 PM
My favorite plays are when EJ chucks the ball 10 yards out of bounds.

its like when Nuke would hit the mascot in Bull Durham.

Always gets a good chuckle out of me

better days
06-17-2015, 03:37 PM

Well, those were good for a laugh.

But nowhere near as funny as watching Orton slide short of a first down that was less than 2 yds from the LOS.

swiper
06-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Orton's not here anymore. He walked out on Buffalo. Took the money and ran. And laughed.

YardRat
06-17-2015, 09:06 PM

"Juuuuust a little bit outside..."

Meathead
06-17-2015, 09:30 PM
i dont mind him being careful but some of those were like third downs where he didnt even give his guy any chance. im not an ej pile-on'er but those were maddening. i hope we never see another one of those from him

BertSquirtgum
06-17-2015, 10:29 PM

It's grossing me out the way you keep sticking up for EJ. He sucks man.

Skooby
06-17-2015, 10:38 PM
You're reaching here, EJ will never see a starting snap again in the NFL.

Jry44
06-18-2015, 05:48 AM
Wait... you can win a practice?

Jry44
06-18-2015, 05:50 AM
You're reaching here, EJ will never see a starting snap again in the NFL.

Unless he's on a team with one of the worst qb depth charts in the league....

So.... about your statement?

GingerP
06-18-2015, 06:13 AM

Cam Newton has a 59% career completion %, but he gains 7.5 yards per attempt and 12.6 yards per completion. Those are good numbers and tell you he throws the ball downfield and makes chunk plays.

E.J. Manuel has a 58.6% career completion %, but he gains 6.4 yard per attempt and 11.0 yards per completion. Those aren't good numbers, and tell you he doesn't get the ball downfield enough to make up for his medicre completion %.

Considering how much E.J. checks down, he should have a higher completion percentage. Newton also makes more plays with his feet, as shown by his 5.5 ypa and 33 TD rushing compared with 3.4 ypa and 3 TD rushing. You can't really compare them as players, E.J. isn't nearly as good.

HHURRICANE
06-18-2015, 06:16 AM
He didn't win yesterday.

Sadly nobody did.

MillsapsBillsFan
06-18-2015, 07:45 AM
Cam Newton has a 59% career completion %, but he gains 7.5 yards per attempt and 12.6 yards per completion. Those are good numbers and tell you he throws the ball downfield and makes chunk plays.

E.J. Manuel has a 58.6% career completion %, but he gains 6.4 yard per attempt and 11.0 yards per completion. Those aren't good numbers, and tell you he doesn't get the ball downfield enough to make up for his medicre completion %.

Considering how much E.J. checks down, he should have a higher completion percentage. Newton also makes more plays with his feet, as shown by his 5.5 ypa and 33 TD rushing compared with 3.4 ypa and 3 TD rushing. You can't really compare them as players, E.J. isn't nearly as good.

I understand that EJ isnt Cam, and I dont ever expect him to be. But its kinda insane to compare them based on career stats when EJ has played 14 games and Cam has started every game for multiple seasons now, it doesnt really make for a fair comparison. Also those ypa and ypc stats can be strongly influenced by the system, and it seemed like Hackett never let his QB's take shots (I dont remember that many with orton either). The running comparison doesnt really mean anything, the panthers let Cam carry the ball more and I dont care if my QB is that much of a running threat anyways I just need one that can throw the ball without turning it over

Ingtar33
06-18-2015, 08:49 AM
Wait... you can win a practice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

Dr. Who
06-18-2015, 10:24 AM
Looks like EJ "won" day 3.
Means as little or as much as the rest of it.
But good for EJ . . .

Joe Buscaglia @JoeBuscaglia

EJ Manuel has been the best quarterback today, and it hasn't even been close. #Bills

Matthew Fairburn @MatthewFairburn

EJ Manuel is feeling it today. Just went 5-6 with a touchdown during a 65-yard drive running the no huddle.

Mark Ludwiczak @MarkLud12

EJ Manuel with a terrific two-minute drill that ends with a long TD to Marcus Easley down the left sideline. EJ having a good day.

Jonah Javad

@JonahJavad

EJ Manuel slangin the rock today. Hands down his best practice of the offseason. #Bills

ghz in pittsburgh
06-18-2015, 10:29 AM
Looks like EJ "won" day 3.
Means as little or as much as the rest of it.
But good for EJ . . .

Joe Buscaglia @JoeBuscaglia

EJ Manuel has been the best quarterback today, and it hasn't even been close. #Bills

Matthew Fairburn @MatthewFairburn

EJ Manuel is feeling it today. Just went 5-6 with a touchdown during a 65-yard drive running the no huddle.

Mark Ludwiczak @MarkLud12

EJ Manuel with a terrific two-minute drill that ends with a long TD to Marcus Easley down the left sideline. EJ having a good day.

Jonah Javad

@JonahJavad

EJ Manuel slangin the rock today. Hands down his best practice of the offseason. #Bills

Oh-oh. We are doomed!!!!! If EJ is the best QB of the bunch, they better scout the wire line, NOW!

better days
06-18-2015, 10:33 AM
It's grossing me out the way you keep sticking up for EJ. He sucks man.

EJ may suck.

But I don't see how you HATERS can be so sure of that after only 14 games played with a TERRIBLE OC at that.

It cost NOTHING to watch & see how EJ does with Roman as his OC.

Dr. Who
06-18-2015, 10:36 AM
Chris Brown ‏@ChrisBrownBills

EJ's touchdown drive in 2 min capped w/over shoulder touch throw to Easley w/:16 seconds left. Manuel's footwork much improved. #Bills

Dr. Who
06-18-2015, 10:38 AM
EJ may suck.

But I don't see how you HATERS can be so sure of that after only 14 games played with a TERRIBLE OC at that.

Just tune them out. Nothing good can come of arguing with the mob.

better days
06-18-2015, 10:49 AM

The yds per attempt is pure BS.

And 11 yds is good for a FIRST DOWN.

So Cam picked up an extra yd & a half per completion BIG DEAL.

And if EJ checks down so much how can he have 11 yds per completion?

And Cam had a 58.5% last year....LOWER than EJ.

BertSquirtgum
06-18-2015, 01:28 PM
EJ may suck.

Look. I hope he does come out of his shell. But, to not be able to admit he has sucked is idiotic.

better days
06-18-2015, 02:05 PM
Look. I hope he does come out of his shell. But, to not be able to admit he has sucked is idiotic.

I admit at times EJ sucked the big one., But there were times he looked GOOD.