PDA

View Full Version : @JoeBuscaglia: #Bills have signed TE Matthew Mulligan. Another Rex Ryan guy from the

SpikedLemonade
06-18-2015, 02:34 PM
TE Matthew Mulligan signed by Bills

The tight end began his career with the New York Jets under Rex Ryan in 2009 and played three seasons in New York.

http://www.billszone.com/assets/images/imported/BUF/photos/article-assets/Story-Photos/2015-june/mulligan-story.jpg
The Bills tight end position has been one that’s seen its fair share of change this offseason. On Thursday they added another new face at the position signing free agent Matthew Mulligan.

Mulligan, 30, like a good number of the free agents signed by Buffalo this offseason has a history with Bills head coach Rex Ryan. The tight end began his career with the New York Jets under Ryan in 2009 and played three seasons in New York.....

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/TE-Matthew-Mulligan-signed-by-Bills/49fb92e3-3036-40ed-9bcc-e59fe9bd3d00

Skooby
06-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Was he on a team that won a lot of games ?? In 2009, yes.

YardRat
06-18-2015, 03:34 PM
We needed a blocking TE...not a guy I would have thought of but it fills a 'need'.

Also signed a couple more guys, including an OT didn't they?

Ginger Vitis
06-18-2015, 03:44 PM
Ok this is getting ridiculous.. lol

Albany,n.y.
06-18-2015, 03:48 PM
Go back to the late 1970s & early 1980s. Chuck Knox came here & brought in a lot of ex-Rams.

Generalissimus Gibby
06-18-2015, 03:51 PM
this just in, Green and white will now be the Bills third colors.

Mace
06-18-2015, 03:52 PM
We needed a blocking TE...not a guy I would have thought of but it fills a 'need'.

Also signed a couple more guys, including an OT didn't they?

I'm still not real sure they do. Give your OL reserves some time on the Jugs machine and the one or two that catch best are your blocking TE's for the 3 or 4 passes you'll ever toss at them. I never really have seen the point of using a pseudo lineman instead of a real one.

Upsets me when they get any ex Jets on offense. Any of them, because you know Ryan had no clue, can't help himself, and had influence, even for "camp body"'s. At least find fresh camp bodies, live a little dangerously, as if Ryan isn't used to the idea.

Ginger Vitis
06-18-2015, 03:53 PM
Go back to the late 1970s & early 1980s. Chuck Knox came here & brought in a lot of ex-Rams.

Cool..were those ex rams decent football players or bums like Matthew Mulligan is?

Generalissimus Gibby
06-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Cool..were those ex rams decent football players or bums like Matthew Mulligan is?

Well considering that the Knox era Bills made the playoffs a couple times, ended Miami's stranglehold over the Bills, and played good football and that Knox's termination was more because Ralph let personal feelings get in the way of winning football all too often I'd say they must have had something good in them.

Ginger Vitis
06-18-2015, 04:03 PM
Well considering that the Knox era Bills made the playoffs a couple times, ended Miami's stranglehold over the Bills, and played good football and that Knox's termination was more because Ralph let personal feelings get in the way of winning football all too often I'd say they must have had something good in them.

I didn't watch the Bills during the Knox era but was aware they made the playoffs in 1980 and 1981...

Mace
06-18-2015, 04:05 PM

Ah, the good old days of Knox growling and steeljawed, talking out the side of his mouth looking and sounding ticked off even when he was happy.

Generalissimus Gibby
06-18-2015, 04:09 PM
I didn't watch the Bills during the Knox era but was aware they made the playoffs in 1980 and 1981...

Nor did I, wasn't born until Kay Stephenson took the helm after Ralphie fired Chuck in 83

Mace
06-18-2015, 04:32 PM
I did. His boring teams were wicked solid, and it was fun to win again. Especially led by Knox.

"...and then I'll rip this arm off right here and beat you to death with it if you do that again. Who the hell is standing behind me, there's someone standing behind me, I can feel them breathing. When I let go of your arm, if there's anyone there, I'll kill them, you make damn sure there's no one standing behind me when I let go of your arm, I don't need this crap from you people."

better days
06-19-2015, 02:59 AM

Chuck traded with the Rams for Pro Bowl HOF LB Isiah Robertson who the Bills made one of the highest paid LB's at the time.

And Chuck brought in Rams DB Bill Simpson. A pretty good DB.

Chuck also brought in Raider great LB Phil Villapiano who was at the end of his career as were Robertson & Simpson

better days
06-19-2015, 03:04 AM
I did. His boring teams were wicked solid, and it was fun to win again. Especially led by Knox.

"...and then I'll rip this arm off right here and beat you to death with it if you do that again. Who the hell is standing behind me, there's someone standing behind me, I can feel them breathing. When I let go of your arm, if there's anyone there, I'll kill them, you make damn sure there's no one standing behind me when I let go of your arm, I don't need this crap from you people."

My friend & I had season tickets at the time. Coach Knox & MANY Bills players would go to Shananagans bar after home games.

I never felt closer to the team than at that time, partying with Bills HC & players after the games.

Night Train
06-19-2015, 05:07 AM
My friend & I had season tickets at the time. Coach Knox & MANY Bills players would go to Shananagans bar after home games.

I never felt closer to the team than at that time, partying with Bills HC & players after the games.

Ralph blew it with Knox.

When he took over, the Bills were a 2 win team and needed everything. He drafted and traded us to contending status almost instantly and the stadium went from 55,000 empty seats to sell outs every week. I had season since my childhood in the mid 1960's and saw it all.

Naturally, it came time to pay some guys in 1982 and Ralph said no. So Knox left for Seattle and they instantly started winning.

Ralph should have been kissing his behind for what he did for this team and fan base. Instead, he gave him the ultimate raw deal and that began my complete distrust with Ralph, who believed anyone could coach and he didn't need to pay them.

better days
06-19-2015, 08:05 AM
Ralph blew it with Knox.

When he took over, the Bills were a 2 win team and needed everything. He drafted and traded us to contending status almost instantly and the stadium went from 55,000 empty seats to sell outs every week. I had season since my childhood in the mid 1960's and saw it all.

Naturally, it came time to pay some guys in 1982 and Ralph said no. So Knox left for Seattle and they instantly started winning.

Ralph should have been kissing his behind for what he did for this team and fan base. Instead, he gave him the ultimate raw deal and that began my complete distrust with Ralph, who believed anyone could coach and he didn't need to pay them.

Yeah, my friend & I had season tickets for years before Knox got to Buffalo.

Before Knox, we were surrounded by empty seats.

After Knox arrived, the stadium was packed.

Topas
06-19-2015, 08:18 AM
back on the original topic.
I think loyalty might be Rex's downfall. he seems the guy who starts a guy way longer than would be good for the team because he has a good relationship with him. Same thing that he brings 100s of his ex-players in. Not good. Performance should be the one deciding factor. I am not sure that is the case with Rex.

Then again, he is the reason that many players want to play for the Bills. That is a welcome change compared with the times when we had to overpay like crazy to get anybody to play here.

So I guess you have to take the good things with the bad things ...

better days
06-19-2015, 08:28 AM
back on the original topic.
I think loyalty might be Rex's downfall. he seems the guy who starts a guy way longer than would be good for the team because he has a good relationship with him. Same thing that he brings 100s of his ex-players in. Not good. Performance should be the one deciding factor. I am not sure that is the case with Rex.

Then again, he is the reason that many players want to play for the Bills. That is a welcome change compared with the times when we had to overpay like crazy to get anybody to play here.

So I guess you have to take the good things with the bad things ...

I doubt Rex will start a player with less ability over a more talented player.

Rex is not stupid.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-20-2015, 10:42 AM
Why are we bringing in Rex's offensive guys instead of Roman's? The usual explanation for signing guys like this is that they help explain the system to the other players. But this isn't the same offense they ran in NY.

better days
06-20-2015, 11:00 AM
Why are we bringing in Rex's offensive guys instead of Roman's? The usual explanation for signing guys like this is that they help explain the system to the other players. But this isn't the same offense they ran in NY.

Mulligan was on the John Murphy show.

He said Rex likes guys that are willing to get their hands dirty & he is more than happy to do that.

He said Rex wants a TOUGH PHYSICAL football team...on BOTH sides of the ball.

Oaf
06-20-2015, 09:55 PM
Ralph blew it with Knox.

This was before my time and sucks to hear. :sad: