PDA

View Full Version : Manuel builds momentum

Novacane
06-18-2015, 02:56 PM
According to the Bills' mouth piece.

The Bills’ three-man quarterback competition is now on hiatus for about six weeks with Buffalo’s mandatory minicamp reaching a close. While Rex Ryan and his staff aren’t giving the edge to anyone at this point, the quarterback who heads into the break with the most momentum is EJ Manuel.

Manuel put together one of his better practices Thursday and has improved in a couple of specific areas with respect to his personal game. He’s much less hesitant in his decision making and his accuracy is more consistent. Perhaps the area of his game that has seen the greatest jump is his footwork in the pocket and leading up to the throw.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Minicamp-Notes-Day-3/6d0a34d6-3350-4412-97b8-cc1b9c9cc20f?campaign=fb_buf_article

GvilleBills
06-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Good, build on this.

Ready for pads!

bleve
06-18-2015, 03:47 PM
So Rex pulls the starting DL on the final day, and EJ has his best day.

Six weeks ahead of speculation!

I'm going to enjoy my summer and not worry about it.

Yasgur's Farm
06-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Same D-line... Cassel and Tyrod sucked. All things equal.
None of Buffalo’s quarterbacks faced the Bills starting defensive line in team work on Thursday. Ryan stated that was by design so the offensive units could move the ball a bit more effectively. Still, he liked what he saw from Manuel in the final minicamp practice.

Mace
06-18-2015, 04:02 PM
Well, good for Manuel. Maybe he builds some confidence for the next round, and Cassel & Taylor work a little harder so they all come out of it for a higher level of competition.

Then again maybe Manuel rests on his laurels, Cassel retires in angst and Taylor gives up. Darned if I know.

Only June 18th though. Plenty of time for Simms to rise or plummet too.

BillsFanCupp38
06-18-2015, 05:18 PM
I heard Rex. He didn't sound that impressed. He said the defense was watered down.

better days
06-19-2015, 02:31 AM
Well, good for Manuel. Maybe he builds some confidence for the next round, and Cassel & Taylor work a little harder so they all come out of it for a higher level of competition.

Then again maybe Manuel rests on his laurels, Cassel retires in angst and Taylor gives up. Darned if I know.

Only June 18th though. Plenty of time for Simms to rise or plummet too.

The one thing I can guarantee you is that EJ will not rest on his laurels.

By all accounts from the time he was drafted, EJ has a good work ethic.

If anything, I think EJ will work all the harder before the start of camp.

HHURRICANE
06-19-2015, 05:12 AM

If he just try's really hard he should be great. No talent required.

better days
06-19-2015, 06:35 AM
If he just try's really hard he should be great. No talent required.

EJ has some talent, that is obvious to all but the HATERS.

He has all the physical tools teams look for when drafting a QB as well as the intangibles like his work ethic.

Buckets
06-19-2015, 07:09 AM
EJ has some talent, that is obvious to all but the HATERS.

He has all the physical tools teams look for when drafting a QB as well as the intangibles like his work ethic.

What is your infatuation with EJ. He was a bust in college, his coaches advised the Bills NOT to draft him, he continues to make the same mistakes he has since his freshman year. What is it you know about him that we don't. "All the physical tools", what a cliché, remember Rob Johnson? Athleticism alone does not cut it, you also have to have it mentally.

better days
06-19-2015, 07:37 AM
What is your infatuation with EJ. He was a bust in college, his coaches advised the Bills NOT to draft him, he continues to make the same mistakes he has since his freshman year. What is it you know about him that we don't. "All the physical tools", what a cliché, remember Rob Johnson? Athleticism alone does not cut it, you also have to have it mentally.

I have said it before & I will say it again.

I NEVER said EJ will become a franchise QB.

All I am saying is that he has only played 14 games, less than a single season.

I don't know why some people are so quick to give up on EJ after such a short period of time.

And The Seminoles HC said it was a lie, that he never told any team not to draft EJ.

And EJ won every bowl game he played in for the Seminoles.

And as for mentally, EJ is a smart guy with a good work ethic.

In an interview with John Kryk of the Toronto Sun, EJ said Romans playbook is THICK.

EJ said he spends 3 hours every night studying it.

And Kryk said of EJ: "Manuel on Thursday looked as good as I have seen him."

"He was confident, assertive in his decisions, stepped aggressively into his throws, and was accurate everywhere:short, deep, on the flanks and over the middle."

EJ also said that after spending a little time in Virginia with his parents, he will head down to Tampa & work out with Steve DeBerg some more.

I can't say EJ will become a GOOD QB but I can say ALL Bills fans should be hoping for that to happen.

EJ is the type of person you want to root for.

chris66
06-19-2015, 08:14 AM

Tebow has a good work ethic. Without talent it doesnt mean much.

better days
06-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Tebow has a good work ethic. Without talent it doesnt mean much.

Well, talent is a good thing to have but the Pats* win with a little talent & a LOT of CHEATING.

Ed
06-19-2015, 10:04 AM
I really think this is the key with EJ:

He’s much less hesitant in his decision making and his accuracy is more consistent. Perhaps the area of his game that has seen the greatest jump is his footwork in the pocket and leading up to the throw.

To me EJ's issues with accuracy or his bad throws always seem to be more about a lack in confidence and decisiveness than physical ability. When he's looked confident in what he's doing and where he's going with the football he makes good accurate throws. If he gets better at reading and understanding defenses, and that gives him more confidence than I don't see why EJ can't have some success. That takes experience though, and that's something he can only get with more playing time. I don't think anyone thought EJ was this polished pro-ready product coming out of school. Most seemed to think he would need some time to grow and develop. It doesn't make sense for fans to be so eager to just throw him to the curb already.

Dr. Who
06-19-2015, 02:49 PM
Well, there are signs for at least hope that EJ is putting it together.
He might not, but the jaded cynicism of some "fans" is downright despicable.

trapezeus
06-19-2015, 03:28 PM
i'd love to see ej get it. i worry that the inaccuracy is unfixable. but seeing how terrible the last staff was, it is possible, they gave a green qb very little guidance.

if roman can make it simple and make ej confident, his accuracy could be good enough. in the games he won, it looked fine. in the games he was rattled, he could be so errant.

but i like his poise and his ability to stick with it. he never comes off the field looking like he just doesn't get it and just wants the game to be over. like losman and edwards.

swiper
06-19-2015, 04:51 PM
I have said it before & I will say it again.

I NEVER said EJ will become a franchise QB.

All I am saying is that he has only played 14 games, less than a single season.

I don't know why some people are so quick to give up on EJ after such a short period of time.

And The Seminoles HC said it was a lie, that he never told any team not to draft EJ.

And EJ won every bowl game he played in for the Seminoles.

And as for mentally, EJ is a smart guy with a good work ethic.

In an interview with John Kryk of the Toronto Sun, EJ said Romans playbook is THICK.

EJ said he spends 3 hours every night studying it.

And Kryk said of EJ: "Manuel on Thursday looked as good as I have seen him."

"He was confident, assertive in his decisions, stepped aggressively into his throws, and was accurate everywhere:short, deep, on the flanks and over the middle."

EJ also said that after spending a little time in Virginia with his parents, he will head down to Tampa & work out with Steve DeBerg some more.

I can't say EJ will become a GOOD QB but I can say ALL Bills fans should be hoping for that to happen.

EJ is the type of person you want to root for.

Root for him to be the best bag boy at Winn Dixie.

better days
06-19-2015, 04:58 PM
i'd love to see ej get it. i worry that the inaccuracy is unfixable. but seeing how terrible the last staff was, it is possible, they gave a green qb very little guidance.

if roman can make it simple and make ej confident, his accuracy could be good enough. in the games he won, it looked fine. in the games he was rattled, he could be so errant.

but i like his poise and his ability to stick with it. he never comes off the field looking like he just doesn't get it and just wants the game to be over. like losman and edwards and Orton.

I fixed that for you.

better days
06-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Root for him to be the best bag boy at Winn Dixie.

They closed the Winn Dixie near me.

And the Albertsons.

Publix, SaveAlot & Walmart are my options now.

And with a College degree, I doubt EJ will ever be bagging, unlike you.

The Jokeman
06-19-2015, 07:06 PM
I really think this is the key with EJ:

To me EJ's issues with accuracy or his bad throws always seem to be more about a lack in confidence and decisiveness than physical ability. When he's looked confident in what he's doing and where he's going with the football he makes good accurate throws. If he gets better at reading and understanding defenses, and that gives him more confidence than I don't see why EJ can't have some success. That takes experience though, and that's something he can only get with more playing time. I don't think anyone thought EJ was this polished pro-ready product coming out of school. Most seemed to think he would need some time to grow and develop. It doesn't make sense for fans to be so eager to just throw him to the curb already.
The problem was EJ was a 1st Round pick and most fans think that means he has to be immediately great and if he's not then he's a bust. I'm not ready to throw EJ away though. I mean EJ's played 14 games and his team has won 6 of them. Had he done this in one full season I think he'd get more credit from the fanbase.