PDA

View Full Version : Private Coaching seems to invade into NFL

ghz in pittsburgh
06-19-2015, 09:06 AM
We all known private coaching is big among pre-college athletes. Ever since draft become a popular, various draft pep camps popping up everywhere, and now the pro-camp, like the QB school, O-Line school, Wide receiving workout camps are everywhere. With the big money these pro-athletes have, I would not be shocked it becomes a trend for all of those making their first contract athletes.

From what I hear, teams taking no stands thus far on the individuals -- not discouraging nor encouraging. As we know, every team has an army of coaches, interns, already. If the players association allows, the teams will be glad to send a coach to any player's off-season location to "assist" life/work balance. I'd not be surprised to see the day is coming where every player has sort of a private coach outside of team time, and the private coaches, as an private entity, works with teams to get a list of special skill development, instead of current basic conditioning and skill development. if that happens, would not teaching become unnecessary from a team pespective and coaches just work on strategy how to best catering to a player's strength/hiding weakness?

Topas
06-19-2015, 11:08 AM
interesting thought. I dont think it becomes that prevalent. there are enough hypertalented players that are lazy and dont want to train during their off time. Except working out a little bit. But especially for fringe players and for QBs this might increase a lot. Damn I would like to become a offseason coach. Bad thing is that I live in Germany and I am a couch potato that has no coaching experience and my main ability is shouting at the screen :D

Meathead
06-19-2015, 03:46 PM
jamarcus russell would hire you

better days
06-19-2015, 04:45 PM
This has come about in the NFL because of the CBA which greatly restricts the amount of Coaching players can receive from the team in the offseason.

Scumbag College
06-19-2015, 07:23 PM
I think if it's learning or polishing "pro" technique, form, etc. then I wouldn't have a problem with it. A position coach, coordinator, and head coach shouldn't have to teach too much technique at the NFL level during practices. They are there to implement systems during the OTAs and Training Camps and game plan week to week.

The players are playing for their next contract. Take EJ Manuel for example. If EJ doesn't crack the starting lineup ever again in Buffalo, I doubt any team brings him in if he's released or contract runs out on more than a vet minimum or tryout basis. It behooves him to work on his technique, which is probably the worst part of his game, during the offseason.

Also, the guy's making more money than a 24 year old should be making; he should work on his craft year round.

Topas
06-20-2015, 01:54 AM
jamarcus russell would hire you

he did. I trained him after the draft in preparation for the NFL. Well, maybe that's why nobody calls me anymore...

TedMock
06-20-2015, 08:02 AM
I think if it's learning or polishing "pro" technique, form, etc. then I wouldn't have a problem with it. A position coach, coordinator, and head coach shouldn't have to teach too much technique at the NFL level during practices. They are there to implement systems during the OTAs and Training Camps and game plan week to week.

The players are playing for their next contract. Take EJ Manuel for example. If EJ doesn't crack the starting lineup ever again in Buffalo, I doubt any team brings him in if he's released or contract runs out on more than a vet minimum or tryout basis. It behooves him to work on his technique, which is probably the worst part of his game, during the offseason.

Also, the guy's making more money than a 24 year old should be making; he should work on his craft year round.

You've hit it here. It's technique which is perfected through muscle memory. During a season there is wear and tear and compensation happens, then offseason surgeries and rehab. Players go to specialized training to redefine technique and work on muscle memory. Before his legal problems, I know Ray Rice returned every year to the speed school he worked with pre-combine to hone his running and change of direction skills. He's obviously not the only one.

This stuff has gained popularity as the conditioning rules of the game have changed as well. You no longer come to camp to get in shape and work on technique. You have to come in physically ready to go and focus on learning the football/mental stuff.