PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Still On The Matt Cassel Train?

BillsImpossible
06-19-2015, 08:15 PM
According to every media report, Matt Cassel has been less than good in OTA's and minicamp.

One might think that Cassel would have a clear advantage given his NFL experience, but that advantage hasn't produced any clear results.

He's the last quarterback I want starting for the Buffalo Bills in 2015.

I'd rather swim or sink with Manuel or Taylor instead of treading water with Cassel.

Could Cassel get cut in favor of Simms and his minimal contract?

MillsapsBillsFan
06-19-2015, 08:58 PM
Its possible he could get cut. Mike Rodak was talking about it in one of his articles.

If he does get cut all of his money comes off the cap.

He has been pretty bad but I could see him getting kept around just so they have a veteran qb in case they get in a pinch

Luisito23
06-19-2015, 09:06 PM
LOL...Please tell me who was aboard the "Cassel train" to begin with?

swiper
06-20-2015, 03:39 AM
LOL...Please tell me who was aboard the "Cassel train" to begin with?

He will be your opening game starter.

HHURRICANE
06-20-2015, 03:45 AM
Have you ever played football with and without pads?

EJ had a good day with a "watered down defense."

I have to believe the coaching staff is not psyched with any option at QB right now.

sudzy
06-20-2015, 04:24 AM
I can't believe all the people that are on the "EJ will be the future" train. I'm rooting for Tyrod. Why? Because when you know you have two piles of crap, the only hope you have, is that the pile your not sure about doesn't turn out to be crap, as well.

Goobylal
06-20-2015, 04:44 AM
He will be your opening game starter.
Yeah, right.

Meathead
06-20-2015, 05:05 AM
oh come on

these summer sessions are virtually worthless to determine roster spots

so nothing means anything. none of this really means nothing. nothing will ever mean something until everything is something. until then everything means nothing and none of this will ever be all we need to determine something

BertSquirtgum
06-20-2015, 06:11 AM
Should have traded for Phil Rivers.

better days
06-20-2015, 07:02 AM
I want to watch the Bills in the playoffs.

My preference would be that EJ takes us there.

But if it is Cassel or Taylor, I don't care.

swiper
06-20-2015, 07:43 AM
See who's best in preseason game action.

Thurmal
06-20-2015, 08:19 AM
I'd rather swim or sink with Manuel or Taylor instead of treading water with Cassel.

That's the thing, though, we really just need a guy to be average and not take anything off the table. Unless, Manuel found some way to greatly improve his accuracy, which I don't think I've ever seen a QB do, that is not the guy you want.

Jake
06-20-2015, 09:12 AM
LOL...Please tell me who was aboard the "Cassel train" to begin with?Matt Cassel himself.

Fixxxer
06-20-2015, 09:29 AM
I was never on Cassel's train but that doesn't mean I want him cut. I want him to be there to help EJ or Tyrod when one become the starter.

Albany,n.y.
06-20-2015, 09:39 AM
I was never on Cassel's train but that doesn't mean I want him cut. I want him to be there to help EJ or Tyrod when one become the starter.

Not at his cap #. Unless he stands out and wins the starter's job, there's no reason to keep a $4 million backup. EJ, Tyrod or even Simms can help the starter since none of them are rookies.

Fixxxer
06-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Not at his cap #. Unless he stands out and wins the starter's job, there's no reason to keep a $4 million backup. EJ, Tyrod or even Simms can help the starter since none of them are rookies.

If you can get someone that is better than him, sure cut him but his experience could prove useful for two young QBs even at that cap number.

better days
06-20-2015, 10:51 AM

Simms is still LEARNING the NFL himself.

His brother Chris says that is all he needs to do to be an NFL starter.

So I doudt Matt Sims would be much help if any to the starter.

Tyrod on the other hand has some experience sitting in meeting rooms.

It is questionable how much he has learned to read a defense sitting on a bench.

It was said that Matt Cassel really helped develop Bridgewater after Cassel was injured last year.

I think he would be good to keep around if possible.

sudzy
06-20-2015, 12:15 PM

I have some old VHS tapes of the 90's. I'm thinking with this group of QBs, the tapes are your best bet of seeing the Bills in the playoffs.

BillsImpossible
06-20-2015, 02:21 PM
Its possible he could get cut. Mike Rodak was talking about it in one of his articles.

If he does get cut all of his money comes off the cap.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000498111/article/matt-cassel-in-danger-of-not-making-bills-roster

Matt Cassel in danger of not making Bills' roster?

In the OTAs and minicamp sessions open to reporters, ESPN.com's Mike Rodak gave EJ Manuel (http://www.nfl.com/player/ejmanuel/2539228/profile) the "slight nod as the winner" while evaluating Cassel as the "clear loser (http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/19336/matt-cassel-seantrel-henderson-moving-onto-bills-roster-bubble)" of the group.Although Rodak believed Cassel was the favorite entering OTAs, he now questions whether the most experienced of the Buffalo quarterbacks will be on the roster by September. The team can save $4.15 million by releasing the 10-year veteran before the start of the season.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/matt-cassel/

In 2015, Cassel will earn a base salary of $4,150,000, a roster bonus of $500,000 and a workout bonus of $100,000. Cassel has a cap hit of $4,750,000 while his dead money value is $500,000.

ublinkwescore
06-20-2015, 02:29 PM
none of us know what is going to happen between now and early september... be it injuries, or guys proving themselves to be nothing more than workout warriors a la Rob Johnson...

BillsImpossible
06-20-2015, 02:44 PM
oh come on

these summer sessions are virtually worthless to determine roster spots

Cyrus Kouandjio strongly disagrees.

He worked his ass off all off season, studied the playbook every day and put in the kind of work and effort it takes to learn a new offense.

His hard work paid off.

The OTAs and minicamp are not worthless to determine roster spots. Just ask Seantrel Henderson and Matt Cassel.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/19336/matt-cassel-seantrel-henderson-moving-onto-bills-roster-bubble

Goobylal
06-20-2015, 03:05 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000498111/article/matt-cassel-in-danger-of-not-making-bills-roster

In the OTAs and minicamp sessions open to reporters, ESPN.com's Mike Rodak gave EJ Manuel (http://www.nfl.com/player/ejmanuel/2539228/profile) the "slight nod as the winner" while evaluating Cassel as the "clear loser (http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/19336/matt-cassel-seantrel-henderson-moving-onto-bills-roster-bubble)" of the group.Although Rodak believed Cassel was the favorite entering OTAs, he now questions whether the most experienced of the Buffalo quarterbacks will be on the roster by September. The team can save $4.15 million by releasing the 10-year veteran before the start of the season.

In 2015, Cassel will earn a base salary of $4,150,000, a roster bonus of $500,000 and a workout bonus of $100,000. Cassel has a cap hit of $4,750,000 while his dead money value is $500,000.
Why is the dead money $500K? He only gets $500K if he makes the roster. If he gets cut, he won't.

swiper
06-20-2015, 04:14 PM
Why is the dead money $500K? He only gets $500K if he makes the roster. If he gets cut, he won't.

LOL. He's the best QB on the roster.

Mace
06-20-2015, 05:31 PM

Yes yes. I could defend or cut down any of the three, and do when something pops out at me, but in the end I just want one of them to work out ok. To me Manuel would be best case. Cassel or Taylor won't hurt my feelings whatever.

BertSquirtgum
06-20-2015, 06:05 PM
I'm on the bring the dog killer in train.

Goobylal
06-21-2015, 02:38 AM
Most experienced. Which should give him and edge. But it isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

kishoph
06-21-2015, 03:27 AM

I don't see the dead money either.
http://overthecap.com/player/matt-cassel/1993/

Goobylal
06-21-2015, 04:04 AM

I don't see the dead money either.
http://overthecap.com/player/matt-cassel/1993/
At best I see a $100K cap hit for the workout bonus, assuming he got it.

swiper
06-21-2015, 04:07 AM

- - - Updated - - -

It's June.

Goobylal
06-21-2015, 06:20 AM
Unfortunately for Cassel, it's June most of the time. After 10 years and 76 starts, he is what he is and will never get better. EJ and Taylor haven't started nearly as many games so we don't truly know how they'll turn out.

swiper
06-21-2015, 08:45 AM
Unfortunately for Cassel, it's June most of the time. After 10 years and 76 starts, he is what he is and will never get better. EJ and Taylor haven't started nearly as many games so we don't truly know how they'll turn out.

We do. That will turn out poorly.

Goobylal
06-21-2015, 09:23 AM
We do. That will turn out poorly.
No we don't. And I'd like rather see a young guy play poorly than an older guy with no upside or future play poorly.

swiper
06-21-2015, 09:26 AM
No we don't. And I'd like rather see a young guy play poorly than an older guy with no upside or future play poorly.

So you liked watching Rob Johnson, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Geno Smith... like that. Get it. Makes you also look not too smart.

Cassel can mange a game. That's all this particular team needs. It's strong everywhere else.

Goobylal
06-21-2015, 09:39 AM
So you liked watching Rob Johnson, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Geno Smith... like that. Get it. Makes you also look not too smart.

Cassel can mange a game. That's all this particular team needs. It's strong everywhere else.
Yeah, that's why he's on his 4th team. Another one problem with him is you can't say he didn't get good coaching in the past.

Night Train
06-22-2015, 06:01 AM
I thought his train derailed years ago.

better days
06-22-2015, 06:22 AM
Yeah, that's why he's on his 4th team. Another one problem with him is you can't say he didn't get good coaching in the past.

Well, to be fair to Cassel, he has had too many Coaches in his past, some were no doubt better than others.

But in his first 7 years in the NFL, Cassel had 8 different OC's.

Discotrish
06-22-2015, 07:20 AM
According to every media report, Matt Cassel has been less than good in OTA's and minicamp.

One might think that Cassel would have a clear advantage given his NFL experience, but that advantage hasn't produced any clear results.

He's the last quarterback I want starting for the Buffalo Bills in 2015.

Could Cassel get cut in favor of Simms and his minimal contract?

I'm in favor of treading water with Cassel. If you are treading water, you are not drowning.

http://media.giphy.com/media/f5LsL153vRTLq/giphy.gif

:lol:

Patti

Goobylal
06-22-2015, 08:14 AM
Well, to be fair to Cassel, he has had too many Coaches in his past, some were no doubt better than others.

Most of them were good coaches.

better days
06-22-2015, 09:07 AM
Most of them were good coaches.

Maybe so. But 8 different Coaches with different systems would ****** any QB's development IMO.

And I'm not saying I want Cassel to win the job, mostly because of his age.

Albany,n.y.
06-22-2015, 10:01 AM

His 1st 4 years were in NE. Those OC changes really screwed up Brady, didn't they?

swiper
06-22-2015, 11:53 AM

How many of those teams TRADED to get him? (ie because they really wanted him)

Posts like this make you look foolish.

The Patriots drafted him BECAUSE THEY WANTED HIM.

The Chiefs TRADED for him BECAUSE THEY WANTED HIM.

The Vikings won a mad scramble for him signing him the moment he became available BECAUSE THEY WANTED HIM (several other teams wanted him too).

The Bills TRADED for him BECAUSE THEY WANTED HIM.

Don't try and make it sound like he's been bouncing around like some vagabond. Everywhere he's gone it's because the team (4 TEAMS) has wanted him there.

Goobylal
06-22-2015, 01:35 PM
How many of those teams TRADED to get him? (ie because they really wanted him)

Posts like this make you look foolish.

The Patriots drafted him BECAUSE THEY WANTED HIM.

The Chiefs TRADED for him BECAUSE THEY WANTED HIM.

The Vikings won a mad scramble for him signing him the moment he became available BECAUSE THEY WANTED HIM (several other teams wanted him too).

The Bills TRADED for him BECAUSE THEY WANTED HIM.

Don't try and make it sound like he's been bouncing around like some vagabond. Everywhere he's gone it's because the team (4 TEAMS) has wanted him there.
I don't care who traded for or signed him (although I'm still pissed the Bills wasted picks on him). The facts are that the guy has had 2 good seasons in 7 (I'm not counting his first 3 seasons as backup to Brady), with one being thanks to the well-oiled Cheaters machine and the other occurring 5 seasons ago. The problem, again is that his last 4 seasons have been bad (not even as good as EJ's last 2 seasons) and injury-marred, despite good coaching. And what he's shown so far is nothing different from the last 4 years.

GingerP
06-22-2015, 01:49 PM
You still have to give Cassel a chance. Just because he struggled in OTA's doesn't mean he can't get more comfortable in camp. He brings something the others do not have, which is extensive experience playing in the NFL. Manuel or Taylor just haven't played a lot.

If they dump him in camp and replace him with some other vet, that player is still going to have to get up to speed on the system. It seems like they should keep Cassel around just for the veteran presence he can supply to the other QB.

Goobylal
06-22-2015, 01:59 PM
You still have to give Cassel a chance. Just because he struggled in OTA's doesn't mean he can't get more comfortable in camp. He brings something the others do not have, which is extensive experience playing in the NFL. Manuel or Taylor just haven't played a lot.

If they dump him in camp and replace him with some other vet, that player is still going to have to get up to speed on the system. It seems like they should keep Cassel around just for the veteran presence he can supply to the other QB.
His experience didn't help him much the last 4 seasons in KC and Minny. And if he continues to look bad, you don't keep him, period.

better days
06-22-2015, 03:36 PM

Cassel will be given a chance in TC as will Manuel & Taylor.

The starting QB job is wide open.

But with his play in OTA's, EJ is not only still in the race but is the front runner.