PDA

View Full Version : Marquise Goodwin to compete in U.S. Track & Field Championships this weekend

GingerP
06-22-2015, 01:55 PM
Goodwin was added based on his past success in the long jump:

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/06/22/buffalo-bills-olympics-marquise-goodwin-track-return

It won't interfere with anything, since the Bills are off, but if he finishes in the top-3 he would get an invite to the World Championships in Beijing. Those are scheduled for Aug 22 - 30, which would seem to be a conflict with his commitment to the Bills. I wonder what he would do if he qualifies.

YardRat
06-22-2015, 01:58 PM
He should be cut by then anyway, so I don't see a scheduling conflict at all.

Topas
06-22-2015, 03:43 PM
I dont think he will be cut. And I dont think he will finish top 3. So also no scheduling conflict in my book :D

ParanoidAndroid
06-22-2015, 04:21 PM
It would be interesting to see. Depending on how much he has invested in training, he might do well. He was ranked #2 in the US the last time he was regularly competing (2012) and his previous jumps would put him right in it again. I think he's put on some upper body mass, so that might change things a little. Doubtful, but far from impossible.

swiper
06-22-2015, 04:26 PM
He should be cut by then anyway, so I don't see a scheduling conflict at all.

You're crazy.

BertSquirtgum
06-22-2015, 07:56 PM
Goodwin sucks.

WagonCircler
06-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Goodwin sucks.

Well, let's see...a downfield speed WR with EJ ****ing Manuel and Kyle Orton throwing to him.

He would anyone even know if he sucks or not?

BertSquirtgum
06-22-2015, 08:18 PM
Oh, he sucks. There's no doubt about it.

YardRat
06-22-2015, 08:22 PM
You're crazy.

Barring an injury...maybe even two...I don't see him making the team.

swiper
06-23-2015, 03:20 AM
Not sure where you're getting that from.

DraftBoy
06-23-2015, 05:40 AM
Not sure where you're getting that from.

His inability to run routes or be all that sure handed. He's a burner who can run a fly and post, but his route tree is woefully under developed. You would think he could be an asset on kick returns but we have Harvin for that now, so I'm not sure how he sticks unless he's been busting ass on a route tree and his hands this past spring. He's got an uphill battle imo.

ParanoidAndroid
06-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Watkins, Harvin, Woods, Hogan, ?, ? We have two guys, Easley, and Thigpen who are special teamers who are not as good at the WR position as Goodwin. Dezmin Lewis, Deonte Thompson, Tobias Palmer, Caleb Holley and Andre Davis are the other WR's on the roster. Goodwin is currently our #5.

HHURRICANE
06-24-2015, 06:27 AM
Honestly when the league stops trying to convert track stars into football players that will be a good day. The fact that Goodwin decided to do this makes me question his commitment to football.

kscdogbillsfan1221
06-24-2015, 07:28 AM
let me guess; the next thread started will be as follows...

'If we cut Marquis Goodwin, do you think we should sign Usain Bolt to replace him?'

Victor7
06-24-2015, 09:15 AM
Good for Goodwin. He probably knows he's about to end his NFL career. He's a one trick pony who's always hurt. Doubt he makes the cut anyway. No big deal.

Thurmal
06-24-2015, 09:57 AM
Guy looked good his rookie year. I remember a game (I wanna say Cincinnati) where he had a long TD and would've scored at least two other times if the Bills had a QB that could throw an accurate deep ball.

Meathead
06-24-2015, 10:07 AM
marquise goodbye

feldspar
06-25-2015, 02:42 PM
Watkins, Harvin, Woods, Hogan, ?, ? We have two guys, Easley, and Thigpen who are special teamers who are not as good at the WR position as Goodwin. Dezmin Lewis, Deonte Thompson, Tobias Palmer, Caleb Holley and Andre Davis are the other WR's on the roster. Goodwin is currently our #5.

Easley is a core Special teams player, and he just signed a four-year contact this off-season. He's a Bill this year with no doubt.

It'll be interesting to see what the Bills do at the WR position. Apparently, Greg Roman likes Tight Ends (no pun intended), and it's speculated that the Bills could easily keep up to four TEs. Add to that the fact that we have true Fullback (maybe two) along with a stable of Running Backs, and something has got to give at another position since only 53 men are allowed on the roster. I think it's a good bet that that position is WR...we won't keep as many of them. Maybe only five.

My guess is that Goodwin is on the bubble right now.

DraftBoy
06-26-2015, 05:39 AM
Goodwin set a new PR last night but did not qualify for the finals. Credit to Sal for tweeting about all night long.

Forward_Lateral
06-26-2015, 06:35 AM
He's Roscoe Parrish 2.0

better days
06-26-2015, 07:05 AM
His inability to run routes or be all that sure handed. He's a burner who can run a fly and post, but his route tree is woefully under developed. You would think he could be an asset on kick returns but we have Harvin for that now, so I'm not sure how he sticks unless he's been busting ass on a route tree and his hands this past spring. He's got an uphill battle imo.

Well, Percy Harvin credits WR Coach Sanjay Lal with helping him improve his route running.

Harvin said Lal being a Coach on the Bills was a big part of the reason he signed with the Bills.

So, maybe Lal can Coach up Goodwin as well.

Ginger Vitis
06-26-2015, 07:51 AM
2 straight years they reached badly on small Wrs in the 3rd round.. It;s that kind of drafting that holds a team back from making the playoffs

better days
06-26-2015, 08:18 AM
2 straight years they reached badly on small Wrs in the 3rd round.. It;s that kind of drafting that holds a team back from making the playoffs

Preston Brown in the 3rd rnd last year looks like a GREAT pick.

DraftBoy
06-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Well, Percy Harvin credits WR Coach Sanjay Lal with helping him improve his route running.

Harvin said Lal being a Coach on the Bills was a big part of the reason he signed with the Bills.

So, maybe Lal can Coach up Goodwin as well.

I wouldn't necessarily set the bar for route running at Harvin's level. Hope he has dramatically improved it, but only time will actually tell.

better days
06-26-2015, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't necessarily set the bar for route running at Harvin's level. Hope he has dramatically improved it, but only time will actually tell.

Before going to the Jets last year, Harvin was considered a slot receiver only.

After some coaching from Lal, the Jets used Harvin on the outside as much as in the slot.

We will see how the Bills use Harvin with Watkins & Woods, but it would not surprise me to see Woods & Harvin take turns playing both the slot & outside.