PDA

View Full Version : SBNation: NFL training camp cuts could include EJ Manuel, Tim Tebow

JoeMama
06-22-2015, 02:40 PM
This just popped up on my phone...

When training camp rolls around, many veterans are in danger of losing their jobs to new additions. For some, that's the end of the line, but many earn other shots with teams in need of stopgap players at a position.

Here are a few players that might not be with their current team when the calendar turns to September:

EJ Manuel, QB, Bills

There's a three-player battle for the starting role in Buffalo with Matt Cassel and Tyrod Taylor pushing Manuel for the spot. While it's certainly possible that the team keeps all three players after training camp, if Manuel doesn't win the job, there's a good chance that the Bills will take the opportunity to wash their hands of the 2013 first-round pick.

No quarterback in Buffalo is really safe, especially considering their collective performance in the spring. Cassel's far from the same guy he was when he earned Pro Bowl honors in 2010 and if he doesn't win the job, he has the biggest salary that the Bills could purge themselves of, so he's just as viable of a candidate to be released as Manuel is.

Although Manuel has no ties to the new Rex Ryan regime in Buffalo, he would still be owed $2.8 million in guaranteed salary if the Bills decided to cut the third-year passer.

Possible landing spot: Eagles

The Eagles were said to be a team interested in Manuel before the 2013 NFL Draft and Chip Kelly is far from one afraid to take risks. There are a few big names at quarterback for Philadelphia, but it's a hodgepodge of comeback stories with Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow. Manuel has as good of a shot as any.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/6/22/8823791/training-camp-roster-nfl-cuts-2015-ej-manuel-tim-tebow

Joe Fo Sho
06-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Although Manuel has no ties to the new Rex Ryan regime in Buffalo, he would still be owed $2.8 million in guaranteed salary if the Bills decided to cut the third-year passer.

This is the biggest reason why I don't see it happening. What's the harm in keeping this guy on the roster, even if it is 3rd string?

Meathead
06-22-2015, 02:49 PM
chance the bills cut ej: 0.00000¼%

sudzy
06-22-2015, 02:50 PM

So your admitting there's a chance. Good

bdutton
06-22-2015, 03:11 PM

http://img.pandawhale.com/58669-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-Sm9B.gif

better days
06-22-2015, 03:44 PM
This just popped up on my phone...

So, why did you bold EJ Manuel & not Matt Cassel?

As the writer pointed out, Cassel makes the most money.

In fact Cassel makes MUCH more money than EJ & Tyrod COMBINED.

And EJ is the only QB on the Bills with GUARANTEED money coming to him.

And that is for this year & next year as well.

EJ would really have to crap the bed to be cut by the Bills.

I doubt that happens especially with his play in OTA's.

Cassel looks like the Qb that will be cut at this point.

JoeMama
06-22-2015, 04:13 PM
So, why did you bold EJ Manuel & not Matt Cassel?

As the writer pointed out, Cassel makes the most money.

In fact Cassel makes MUCH more money than EJ & Tyrod COMBINED.

And EJ is the only QB on the Bills with GUARANTEED money coming to him.

And that is for this year & next year as well.

EJ would really have to crap the bed to be cut by the Bills.

I doubt that happens especially with his play in OTA's.

Cassel looks like the Qb that will be cut at this point.

Because EJ Manuel was the headline of the article.

No hidden agenda.

I'm a man who firmly believes in meritocracy. If EJ outplays Cassel and Taylor, then he deserves another shot.

Simple as that, ol' pal.

OpIv37
06-22-2015, 04:14 PM
This discussion about cutting EJ is really getting old.

The pros: he's only had 15 starts and didn't exactly have a crack coaching staff to bring him up. The cons: he's never been good and actually regressed last year.

Honestly, I think it's an extremely long shot that he ever becomes a viable starter. That being said, what would be the point in cutting him? He'll get a full preseason with the new coaches, so he'll know the playbook and the system anyway. He's cheap, and cutting him would cost more than keeping him. And the season starts in less than 3 months. Who are we going to find that's better in that short amount of time?

All of this EJ talk comes from nothing but wishful thinking. People are desperate for some sign that we will find a viable QB. EJ wasn't good enough when he played last year- no real debate over that. We have two new QB's on the roster, and if EJ can't even make the roster, then logically it means we must have improved the QB situation. So, people are clinging to any shred of discussion about EJ getting cut because they've built it up in their minds to mean we will have a viable QB this year.

swiper
06-22-2015, 04:41 PM
The Eagles traded Foles and a 2nd for Bradford. Sanchez is there. Why would they ever consider bringing in a player like Manuel? That makes little sense.

sudzy
06-22-2015, 05:02 PM
The Eagles traded Foles and a 2nd for Bradford. Sanchez is there. Why would they ever consider bringing in a player like Manuel? That makes little sense.

Your right. But, bringing in Tebow didn't make any sense. In fact nothing Kelly has done lately makes a lot of sense.

Night Train
06-22-2015, 05:41 PM
So now I've read Cassel could be cut ( Rodak at ESPN ) and some place called SBNation out of someones basement saying Manuel could be cut.

I see the summer dart leagues are well under way. Credibility, be damned.

Mace
06-22-2015, 05:59 PM
So now I've read Cassel could be cut ( Rodak at ESPN ) and some place called SBNation out of someones basement saying Manuel could be cut.

I see the summer dart leagues are well under way. Credibility, be damned.

Also read somewhere Simms could end up the starter. I'm half expecting to read we wanted Pryor. And it's still only June.

Skooby
06-22-2015, 06:58 PM
We need to bring in QB's that might start someday in the NFL, which leaves EJ out.

JoeMama
06-23-2015, 06:09 AM
We need to bring in QB's that might start someday in the NFL, which leaves EJ out.

I agree EJ's outlook seems pretty bleak insofar as developing into a reliable starter.

But given the lack of viable competitors at QB, it's just as likely he sticks around. Cassel had two sporadic good seasons (2008 and 2010) but those days seem like a lifetime ago. And Taylor has never done anything to demonstrate he can become a starter either.

The ugly truth: This is the sorry lot in life we're stuck with.

So all we can do is cross our fingers and hope one of these guys shows something -- ANYTHING -- between now and September.

Obviously one of these scrubs will "win" the job, but it wouldn't shock if me if all three fail to create any separation during the preseason -- rendering the anointed "starter" a hollow gesture that's ostensibly tantamount to defeat for the fans.

We have a truly horrific QB situation on our hands. Maybe the worst in the NFL.

The best we can hope for is a heavy dose of McCoy and a defense that has enough wind to be stuck on the field 60% of the game yet still win ballgames.

JoeMama
06-23-2015, 06:15 AM
Your right. But, bringing in Tebow didn't make any sense. In fact nothing Kelly has done lately makes a lot of sense.

Chip Kelly strikes me as a guy who's completely bought into his own hubris.

He thinks he can make diamonds out of coal but I think he's in for a major setback this season.

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

coastal
06-23-2015, 08:15 AM
I agree EJ's outlook seems pretty bleak insofar as developing into a reliable starter.

But given the lack of viable competitors at QB, it's just as likely he sticks around. Cassel had two sporadic good seasons (2008 and 2010) but those days seem like a lifetime ago. And Taylor has never done anything to demonstrate he can become a starter either.

The ugly truth: This is the sorry lot in life we're stuck with.

So all we can do is cross our fingers and hope one of these guys shows something -- ANYTHING -- between now and September.

Obviously one of these scrubs will "win" the job, but it wouldn't shock if me if all three fail to create any separation during the preseason -- rendering the anointed "starter" a hollow gesture that's ostensibly tantamount to defeat for the fans.

We have a truly horrific QB situation on our hands. Maybe the worst in the NFL.

The best we can hope for is a heavy dose of McCoy and a defense that has enough wind to be stuck on the field 60% of the game yet still win ballgames.
Who is that in your new avatar?!

JoeMama
06-23-2015, 09:34 AM
Who is that in your new avatar?!

My most beloved 90s goddess, Shirley Manson.

I felt the haunting Ian Curtis avatar needed a well-deserved (temporary) hiatus after 10 trusty years.

And Shirley just completely does it for me.

trapezeus
06-23-2015, 11:19 AM
until late august, websites are going to put these articles up for clicks. "guess who might get cut" generates clicks. and the articles all read the same way.

This is growing old.

the difference between the bills starter and our 3rd string qb isn't going to be that great. its going to be the one who can show he's more consistent. the outside chance of one guy just taking hold and running with this is limited.

better days
06-23-2015, 12:20 PM
until late august, websites are going to put these articles up for clicks. "guess who might get cut" generates clicks. and the articles all read the same way.

This is growing old.

the difference between the bills starter and our 3rd string qb isn't going to be that great. its going to be the one who can show he's more consistent. the outside chance of one guy just taking hold and running with this is limited.

I agree with this. And at $4.75 mill, unless Cassel does separate himself, he is a likely cut.

And Jay Skursky says it is not about the cap this year but next year...the cap savings with cutting Cassel can be carried over into next year when a number of players are coming up for new contracts.

OpIv37
06-23-2015, 12:32 PM

It's low-risk, high-reward for these guys. If Manuel doesn't get cut, this guy will take crap on Twitter for a few days and it's over. If he does get cut, suddenly the author bought himself credibility (and hence, clicks and readers) for what breaks down to a lucky guess.

DynaPaul
06-23-2015, 03:09 PM
Chip Kelly strikes me as a guy who's completely bought into his own hubris.

He thinks he can make diamonds out of coal but I think he's in for a major setback this season.

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

He has way too much faith in his own system... and Shirley rules.

HHURRICANE
06-24-2015, 06:09 AM
Everyone is forgetting one thing here. EJ will have competed yet again to be the starter and if he fails he's going to be on the bench as a two time loser. If you've ever been around teams and coaches nobody wants that guy sitting on their bench no matter how cheap he is.

better days
06-24-2015, 07:57 AM
Everyone is forgetting one thing here. EJ will have competed yet again to be the starter and if he fails he's going to be on the bench as a two time loser. If you've ever been around teams and coaches nobody wants that guy sitting on their bench no matter how cheap he is.

EJ is not only CHEAP, but the money he is owed is GUARANTEED.

He had the best OTA's of all the QB's on the roster.

He would really have to crap the bed in TC to be cut.

I think it is possible that Cassel wins the starting job but that EJ shows enough improvement that the Bills want to give him more time to develop.

EJ's salary is guaranteed for this year & next year as well.

TacklingDummy
06-24-2015, 08:30 AM
EJ is not only CHEAP, but the money he is owed is GUARANTEED.

He had the best OTA's of all the QB's on the roster.

He would really have to crap the bed in TC to be cut.

I think it is possible that Cassel wins the starting job but that EJ shows enough improvement that the Bills want to give him more time to develop.

EJ's salary is guaranteed for this year & next year as well.

If EJ doesn't improve and is not the starter, next season won't be any different from last season.

better days
06-24-2015, 11:38 AM
If EJ doesn't improve and is not the starter, next season won't be any different from last season.

Well, no matter who the QB is, he should be better than Orton who slid rather than pick up a first down late in a game last year.

The OL will be MUCH better. Which means the running game will be better especially with Shady on the team.

And I doubt you will see Rex punt the ball on 4th & short on the opponents side of the field when the Bills are behind.

Even with a terrible HC, a sieve of an OL & Orton at QB most of the season, the Bills finished 9-7.

I expect the Bills to be in the playoffs this year.

HHURRICANE
06-25-2015, 02:02 AM
Well, no matter who the QB is, he should be better than Orton who slid rather than pick up a first down late in a game last year.

The OL will be MUCH better. Which means the running game will be better especially with Shady on the team.

And I doubt you will see Rex punt the ball on 4th & short on the opponents side of the field when the Bills are behind.

Even with a terrible HC, a sieve of an OL & Orton at QB most of the season, the Bills finished 9-7.

I expect the Bills to be in the playoffs this year.

The Bills finished 8-8. I'm never going to look at that New England game as a true win. It was a gift especially after just getting whipped by the Raiders.

better days
06-25-2015, 07:59 AM
The Bills finished 8-8. I'm never going to look at that New England game as a true win. It was a gift especially after just getting whipped by the Raiders.

I agree, the Pats* gifted that game to the Bills but 9-7 is on the books.

And IMO, Marrone had a lot more to do with the 7 than he did the 9.

Joe Fo Sho
06-25-2015, 08:34 AM

If you're not going to look at it as a 'true win,' then you also can't look at it as a 'true loss' either. I guess you should say we finished 8-7 then, not 8-8.

JoeMama
06-25-2015, 09:03 AM
I really hope Tim Tebow catches on with the Eagles.

Tebow showed my friend an incredible kindness recently.

My buddy Ryan was diagnosed with Ewing's sarcoma last year and sadly passed away on June 4th.

As a huge UF fan, Tebow was one of his heroes.

Somehow, Tebow caught word of Ryan's condition and flew to the hospital to spend time with him.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/ryanmybuddy_zpsutnxowiv.jpeg (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/JoeMama025/media/ryanmybuddy_zpsutnxowiv.jpeg.html)

Tebow spent the evening there, prayed with Ryan and his family, and even wore one of Ryan's orange and blue bracelets as a show of solidarity.

Ryan was remarkable and deeply talented guy. And Tebow is a tremendous human being who lives his beliefs and deeply cares about others.

RIP to my old baseball buddy, I'll miss you, Ryan. My thanks to Tebow for his act of kindness.